Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilbo Bellend
May 18, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de árbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses árbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

YES!

I grow tons of hots and superhots (Ghosts, Carolina Reapers et al) and make a mash (http://www.pickl-it.com/410/3-way+pickled+peppers/) that I'll usually let sit for 3-6 months before adding distilled vinegar (I'm a purist for the fermented pepper flavors, and find that cider vinegar gives it too much of a "winey" taste), shaking, and butt-chugging. If you have a source for fresh peppies, this is the only way to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am thinking of doing peppers in containers on my deck this season (we rent so I can't have a proper garden like I want). Where do you get your seeds? I'd really like to grow some habaneros, ghosts, and maybe some Trinidad scorpions.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de árbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses árbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

Came here to make this same post, lol

My sister bought me The Hot Sauce Cookbook for my birthday last year which has a good recipe for fermented pepper mash, which I then just mix with different types of vinegar in different ratios (plus other stuff) and boom, hot sauce. Tried with fresnos, red jalapenos, and green jalapenos so far. I made a really good sauce from green mash, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and lime juice which is great on both Mexican food and SE Asian stuff.

Haven't tried using dried chilis for mashes but that sounds sexy, I can get quite a few different types of dried chili around here.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm kinda intimidated to do a fermented mash. At this point I will probably stick with my method since I like the taste.

I use a lot of vinegar but it never tastes too sour like Tabasco does to me.

The white vinegar I have on-hand currently is this funky Filipino brand. I also use a little fish sauce and cider vinegar.

Next growing season I'm keeping it simple and just buying seeds from Burpee. Red Habaneros and "Dragon Cayennes".

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Comb Your Beard posted:

Next growing season I'm keeping it simple and just buying seeds from Burpee.

I get all my seeds from this dude:

http://www.fataliiseeds.net

Awesome selection and ships really quickly in an envelope so it doesn't cost much for postage.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm kinda intimidated to do a fermented mash. At this point I will probably stick with my method since I like the taste.

I use a lot of vinegar but it never tastes too sour like Tabasco does to me.

The white vinegar I have on-hand currently is this funky Filipino brand. I also use a little fish sauce and cider vinegar.

Next growing season I'm keeping it simple and just buying seeds from Burpee. Red Habaneros and "Dragon Cayennes".

Do what tastes best to you but this is the first time I've tried to make hot sauce (or even canned/pickled/fermented anything) and after a half-dozen runs I've yet to poison myself in any manner. The mash also stay fresh for a long time so you can whip up a new batch whenever the mood strikes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You guys like hot horseradish?

Rocket Horseradish, it's pretty hot or whatever you call it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Hot horseradish is my second favorite part of going to oldschool prime rib joints.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Kenji from Food Lab/Serious Eats wrote up his 30 favorite hot sauces. Some of my favs are on there, only one I'm missing is Crystal.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/kenjis-favorite-hot-sauces-chili-pepper.html

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hannaford store-brand hot sauce isn't good. Surprising, given it's prominent use of natural flavors. :v:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Only one sauce in there that features a pepper > 1 mil and it's surrounded by fruit and concentrates. Weak poo poo.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Only one sauce in there that features a pepper > 1 mil and it's surrounded by fruit and concentrates. Weak poo poo.

I like to taste the food, though. :ohdear: The pineapple-mango one sounds right up my alley.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I like the taste of scorpion, ghost and scotch bonnet lots too. You can get high as you built a tolerance as well.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
One should doubt the palette of someone with a non-ironic Nando's recommendation.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Tabasco is the best Louisiana style sauce.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

FuriousxGeorge posted:

False, its Crystal.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Louisiana brand :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Khablam posted:

One should doubt the palette of someone with a non-ironic Nando's recommendation.

ill fight you

the hottest variety of nando's is fuckin dope on grilled or roasted chicken

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

BraveUlysses posted:

ill fight you

the hottest variety of nando's is fuckin dope on grilled or roasted chicken

Yeah, that poo poo is great.

That list is missing the neon green Yucateca, but it's pretty good otherwise. I mostly don't care about the sauces with superhots - I grow ghost chilies myself, and anything I need to make hotter, I can.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It is the most ubiquitous "Louisiana" style hot sauce, but it is in no way the best. It does have it's place; usually at a restaurant whose gumbo game is subpar, and one can find Tabasco virtually everywhere.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Louisiana is very good! I usually keep a big rear end bottle in the pantry for when I run out of...

Flaggy posted:

False, its Crystal.

...this! Crystal is the best "Louisiana" style hot sauce. Well, out of the three most widely produced and distributed brands, anyway.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 17, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've never found Crystal in Canada for a reasonable price. The one time I saw it on a store shelf it was like $8 for a small bottle, and the online speciality stores put shipping on top of that.

I just put Louisiana on my gumbo.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's great but not worth paying that much, jeez.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I've never found Crystal in Canada for a reasonable price. The one time I saw it on a store shelf it was like $8 for a small bottle, and the online speciality stores put shipping on top of that.

I just put Louisiana on my gumbo.

drat. Its about 3 bucks here and I am in Colorado.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

This stuff is awesome, I agree. I also use the vinegar peppers in a bottle along with this. https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Tabasco-Peppers-in-Vinegar/dp/B0078X8B6M

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Flaggy posted:

drat. Its about 3 bucks here and I am in Colorado.

This stuff is awesome, I agree. I also use the vinegar peppers in a bottle along with this. https://www.amazon.com/Louisiana-Tabasco-Peppers-in-Vinegar/dp/B0078X8B6M

Ooh, I'll have to pick those up. I imagine they'd go great in a gumbo, or a fork straight out of the jar.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Ooh, I'll have to pick those up. I imagine they'd go great in a gumbo, or a fork straight out of the jar.

They really do, if I don't have sport peppers handy for hot dogs they go on those as well. I have been known to use them on a burger or two as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The best places to buy the cheap hot sauces are the low-end grocery stores.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone ever tried neonata? It's an Italian condiment, a spicy relish made of crushed hot and sweet cherry peppers and salty young anchovies in oil. It looks like that Wickles spicy sandwich spread (which I really like), but I'm sure it's completely different -- spicier, richer, funkier.

It sounds amazing, but I've only ever seen it on Amazon, where it's very expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Coluccio-Neo...onata+anchovies

But this Saveur article, which brought it to my attention, is tempting me:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Go-Fish

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was told to come post in this thread.

I make (and have started selling on a small scale) my own buffalo style sauce. The guys in AI have been my first goon customers and they've overwhelmingly loved it. So uh, anyone wanting to gamble a couple bucks on a homemade recipe? Goon price is $4 a bottle and I can ship them anywhere in the continental US for $4.29.

If anyone is interested please PM me.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone ever tried neonata? It's an Italian condiment, a spicy relish made of crushed hot and sweet cherry peppers and salty young anchovies in oil. It looks like that Wickles spicy sandwich spread (which I really like), but I'm sure it's completely different -- spicier, richer, funkier.

It sounds amazing, but I've only ever seen it on Amazon, where it's very expensive:
https://www.amazon.com/Coluccio-Neo...onata+anchovies

But this Saveur article, which brought it to my attention, is tempting me:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Go-Fish

Yeah it's tasty but pretty overwhelming as a flavor.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Then use it like an Indian pickle or what tamar Adler calls a brightener.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Bad: Had to throw away some pepper mash tonight because I got too gung-ho last fall and made more than I could reasonably use :negative:

Good: Made a pretty good and v hot Asian-style sauce with mash, rice vinegar, garlic, sugar, and fish sauce :flame:

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

How come no one told me there was a hot sauce thread?

I picked these up in Mexico City at Mercado de San Juan. I don't speak Spanish, the guy didn't speak English and nothing was labelled. Any idea what they are? The orange one tastes like arbol and some kind of nut. The black one is full of sesame seeds and cardamom (I think), but I can't identify the pepper. I poo poo liquid for days every time I use some, so it's difficult to test.

EDIT: Cred shot

Disco Godfather fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 5, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Disco Godfather posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Something Offal > Hot Sauce! I poo poo liquid for days every time I use some, so it's difficult to test.

Also, no idea what those are.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

taqueso posted:

Also, no idea what those are.

Those are HOT SAUCES in a COLD PLACE you MONSTER. Most sauces are best kept in cabinet or cool dark place. The ones that need refrigerating will say so.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

cool dark place.
Like the inside of a refrigerator?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
not enough room in the fridge for my collection. they have a shelf in the cool dark region of my food pantry where they live.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
My parents have 2 fridges in their house because there used to be 5 people living there and it made sense.
Now there's just the two of them but they still have two fridges.
They manage to justify this by refrigerating condiments and pickled onions.

So it could be worse for you.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 7, 2017

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Khablam posted:

My parents have 2 fridges in their house because there used to be 5 people living there and it made sense.
Now there's just the two of them but they still have two fridges.
They manage to justify this by refrigerating condiments and picked onions.

So it could be worse for you.

I wish I could have a refrigerator specifically for pickled onions. I would be happy. Those around me would not.

e: Oh wait, you said picked, not pickled. My point still stands.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
I got auto-corrected, it really is pickled onions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Khablam posted:

I got auto-corrected, it really is pickled onions.

Do they pickle the onions themselves? Do your parents have a fridge for onions that they pickle themselves?

e: Because, if so, that is baller as gently caress.

Mushika fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 7, 2017