Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
The Army literally cannot account for trillions of dollars

quote:

The United States Army’s finances are so jumbled it had to make trillions of dollars of improper accounting adjustments to create an illusion that its books are balanced.

The Defense Department’s Inspector General, in a June report, said the Army made $2.8 trillion in wrongful adjustments to accounting entries in one quarter alone in 2015, and $6.5 trillion for the year. Yet the Army lacked receipts and invoices to support those numbers or simply made them up.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-audit-army-idUSKCN10U1IG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some time ago the Army consolidated to using (for the most part) a single type of fuel. This is great because it simplifies fuel logistics giving a cost savings in equipment and manning needed to load an transport fuel. This is terrible because we need to use a fuel that will work in everything from humvees to helicopters and tanks. So you end up with JP-8, a type of jet fuel we buy at $3.73 a gallon, going into your basic diesel engine humvees.

Consider that the average Army vehicle will spend 50% or more of its operational life idling and burning fuel just to keep the radio on or troops warm.

Now consider how many thousands of vehicles are out there, today, idling or being used to for a run to McDonalds.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

guns for tits posted:

This might be a bad question but how much of the military's budget is wasted on bullshit it doesn't need?

All of it. Just look in the Base Supply Catalogue. The chair I'm currently sitting in costs $500 and you can buy an equivalent chair from Walmart for like $75. The huge table used for BN training meetings costs like $12,000. Everything is obscenely overpriced. Not that we have any choice on where we buy stuff from at our level, though sometimes it's authorized to use unit funds at like Home Depot or something for certain things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Some time ago the Army consolidated to using (for the most part) a single type of fuel. This is great because it simplifies fuel logistics giving a cost savings in equipment and manning needed to load an transport fuel. This is terrible because we need to use a fuel that will work in everything from humvees to helicopters and tanks. So you end up with JP-8, a type of jet fuel we buy at $3.73 a gallon, going into your basic diesel engine humvees.

Consider that the average Army vehicle will spend 50% or more of its operational life idling and burning fuel just to keep the radio on or troops warm.

Now consider how many thousands of vehicles are out there, today, idling or being used to for a run to McDonalds.

On the plus side, JP-8 is pretty good for diesels as it has some added lubrication

On the downside, it kills bacterial buildup in ground vehicle diesel tanks, and those end up clogging the fuel filters. A lot.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey remember foo money

EmilBraun
Jul 13, 2015
Anyone got a link to that military Gold bond clip?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hey remember foo money
I don't, because we never got much (if any).

gently caress you, squadron.

I mean: each of the shops had high-speed printer/scanner/copier/fax machines, A Trp and MICO had the same, and I had a lovely, broken desktop combo thingie and another printer that was ancient and constantly jammed. We had to run a sheet of paper with CLP through it at least once or twice a month to keep it going. It would have been chump change to replace that poo poo with a halfway decent machine. :saddowns:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

29 Palms is the worst base, Yuma is the worst base+local area

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
How much are the top brass protecting each other? I have followed the current events thread for quite some time and it seems like most generals only get slapped on the wrist for pretty heinous poo poo while enlisted get screwed. I also saw some youtube video where some historian talked about in WW2 generals had something like 90 days to show themselves competent divisional commanders before Marshall relived them and sent them off to administrative duty while nowadays pretty much no generals get relieved.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Is it true the army has a ski resort in Germany? I'm wondering how many of you have gone there, and why Congress hasn't shut it down

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Navy relieves commanders all the time for stupid poo poo on the boats. I assume the marines would follow suit since they're part of the navy.

Army brass will rarely cover their enlisted folk and pretty much get off scott free on stupid poo poo. Rarely see them relieved unless it's a high profile unit like SOAR or Rangers but even then, probably not unless it's really serious.

That navy seals flag waving poo poo will be interesting if it gets beyond the investigation, but no one there's likely to lose a job because navy joes are just as dumb as army joes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Suicide Watch posted:

Is it true the army has a ski resort in Germany? I'm wondering how many of you have gone there, and why Congress hasn't shut it down

Yes, that is true. It's called Edelweiss and is located in the town of Garmisch. When I was in Italy I went there for a weekend as part of a single soldier retreat (every company sent a few people and I was lucky enough to go). The resort is open to military members and their families, and I think retired military as well. It's basically a government run resort and is a huge morale booster for people that are stationed in Europe. If Congress shut it down they'd more than likely face a huge backlash from the military and public.

http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/

If you're still in and haven't gone I honestly cannot recommend the place enough. Go. It is an incredible deal and super fun. There's stuff to do year round, so don't think it's only for the winter.

Eligibility: http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/reservation-eligibility

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Can someone post "Pentagon Wars: The movie" in the OP for the lurkers to watch. Should explain EVERYTHING.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
One of the most accurate military flicks ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYpRhoZqBY

Seriously, watch this movie if you haven't seen it. If you have, watch it again.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

When I was a cav scout, absolutely not. To be honest chemical had some cool things in it civ side, but nothing I really want to do, but sometimes think about getting into. A lot of my training for NCO schools and stuff was like industrial chemical clean up poo poo in the SCBA suit. I got the highest rating for HAZMAT response stuff, which came from the Natl Firefighter Association or something. Totally probably could have made a career out firefighting/hazmat response stuff of that or OSHA inspector poo poo I'm sure, but I just never really felt passionate enough to pursue it.

I'm doing an IT program in school now because I'm a goon of course, and I really don't exactly love it to be honest, and I think sometimes that if I had that job in the Army I could probably skip all t his poo poo and just get whatever certs I needed and be great at it.

Going back to page 1. Sup dude I worked as a government IT contractor as well as a civilian side IT dude and I can tell you right now that the contracting/government side of IT is ate up with military guys who "Did IT for the army" but literally exist within the civilian world to check off a box that states "Someone in the office has a clearance" and nothing else. Most mil IT dudes and government it dudes tend to work in closed environments where checklists are made for every item you do in a day to the point where you could literally have ANYONE do the task with no knowledge/understanding. They completely fall apart on the job whenever tasked with anything outside of the box OR when something on their checklist fails and they are expected to do the other half of the occupation which is actually understanding the systems.

Long story short: You are better off going to school for it, you'll come out the other end actually understanding systems rather than just understanding that yes this is a list and I shall do the steps in the list.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naked Bear posted:

One of the most accurate military flicks ever made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDYpRhoZqBY

Seriously, watch this movie if you haven't seen it. If you have, watch it again.

this is a fantastic movie and probably the best explanation possible

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

How much are the top brass protecting each other? I have followed the current events thread for quite some time and it seems like most generals only get slapped on the wrist for pretty heinous poo poo while enlisted get screwed. I also saw some youtube video where some historian talked about in WW2 generals had something like 90 days to show themselves competent divisional commanders before Marshall relived them and sent them off to administrative duty while nowadays pretty much no generals get relieved.

While I'm not going to sit here and say that the flags aren't covering up for each other all of the time, it's not like they can do heinous poo poo with impunity. Senior officers get fired all of the time. Retired flags get stars (and thus pay and benefits) retroactively removed all of the time. Granted that all normally happens for misconduct reasons. Very few senior officers get out and out punished for incompetence though, to be fair, very few people in general in the military get punished for simple incompetence.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
You know how there's the trope of a parent getting their kid to join the military to "straighten them out?"

Has that ever worked?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CongoJack posted:

You know how there's the trope of a parent getting their kid to join the military to "straighten them out?"

Has that ever worked?

No. Those parents are just passing the buck to a new babysitter.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CongoJack posted:

Has that ever worked?

Didn't do poo poo for Track Palin.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

CongoJack posted:

Has that ever worked?

I have seen it happen, yes. It's rare but it does occur.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CongoJack posted:

Has that ever worked?

Previous legal trouble types? Sometimes, but not often. The military is loaded to the gills with delinquents.

Stupid people like me, yeah, it helped a lot. But I joined after trade school and was still being a huge retard, so I was dumb enough to sign myself up. My family's idea was to push me to get a CDL and start driving a truck, but I ain't that goddamn stupid.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
When I had to make cold calls, whenever I spoke to a parent who were receptive and suggested that it "might straighten him out" the kid was almost without fail disqualified to join due to criminal record/probation/adhd

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember when poo poo was relaxed during the first term of Bush Jr. I was a little tubby (like, 230) but they didn't give a poo poo, the war drums were beating and Bush's army was taking most anything that breathed.

In some places there were unofficial backdoor drafts going on, but that was mostly agreements between judges and defendants over petty poo poo and misdemeanors, and any recruiter that was smart enough to get in a judge's ear. Four years of active duty will work a lot of simple stupid out of people. poo poo like don't steal something dumb from a convenience store or get busted for underage drinking and the like.

It was never near national scale and definitely not army endorsed, but it happened in pockets. Like the recruiters that would forge HS diplomas and GEDs to get people in. Not common, but not unheard of.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

CongoJack posted:

Has that ever worked?

I've known quite a few people who were shitheads and joined the military including some people in my extended family! and IMO they're doing much better now than they would be if they hadn't joined up. Financially and personally. Of course no one was a hard core criminal or anything, just immature and running with the wrong crowds. Some people really need structure in their lives and respond well to the relative rigidity the life sometimes presents.

I should say, each of these people made the decision to join up and it worked out for them. It was never their parents trying to force them into it, which is bad news all around. In the case with my cousin, my parents (his are dead) encouraged his decision and helped him out with the recruiter since he had to get a waiver or two. Before the military he was just working dead end jobs, smoking weed and doing shady poo poo with his ghetto friends. Now he's learning naval welding and is gonna make buku bucks when he decides to get out. He also got to travel in Europe a lot.

On the flip side there was this thug kid who took a swing at me in basic while we were in formation. I'm pretty sure he was one of those bad-boy reclamation projects.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Like the recruiters that would forge HS diplomas and GEDs to get people in. Not common, but not unheard of.

lol if you think people still don't do that

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
How many guys have Punisher tattoos?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh I widely suspect it, but can't verify it.

I remember when the army started implementation of bullshit online classes and only wanted the certificate printed at the end. I'd get someone who already took it, scan it, photoshop change names and suddenly my whole section was done with their bullshit without spending four hours at the screen.

I'm sure they've fixed some of that poo poo by tying AKO to whatever the unit wants its soldiers to hahahaha who the gently caress am I kidding.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Here's a question how come so many so many dooms day preppers are military or ex military? Does the military just attract these people or is because of it?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's just good old fashioned paranoia, amplified by our society's self-fellating ability to waste money.

I'd imagine you'd find most soldiers have bugout bags, but a serious stockpile and properly paid for as well as built shelter costs more money than most military folk can afford. The average E4 schmuck may earn two grand a month, they can't afford a bunker in gently caress-all corners of the desert.

The numbers might uptick with vets, but I'd wager that more people with undiagnosed mental illnesses roving free range in society are more likely to glorify the idea of it and possibly afford it than crazy vets or not so crazy ones.

Besides, fatties gotta roleplay.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I dunno but those guys are hilarious and pathetic. Some of them are prior military but I get the feeling that most are wannabes. So I gotta give some props to the non mall ninja spec ops airsofters who actually served.

Still it would make more sense for the survivalists to do a job where they're less likely to die, wouldn't it?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

tankfish posted:

Here's a question how come so many so many dooms day preppers are military or ex military? Does the military just attract these people or is because of it?

I think you need to cite some sources on this one, because most of the preppers I see are wannabes or fakers. Or their "military experience" consists of failing out of Boot Camp or participating in some local militia group.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

How common are IRR callups these days? I remember long ago in high school recruiters assuring me that they were extremely incredibly rare and nothing to worry about, lol. (Back in the 90s that may have even been true!)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well, since Trump took office guys are getting offered $10,000 to extend for a year so that the Army can expand by 28k.

So, yeah.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

I dunno but those guys are hilarious and pathetic. Some of them are prior military but I get the feeling that most are wannabes. So I gotta give some props to the non mall ninja spec ops airsofters who actually served.

Still it would make more sense for the survivalists to do a job where they're less likely to die, wouldn't it?

the idea that the military would prepare you for a no poo poo survival situation is pretty funny. weirdo prepper idiots who spout that kind of nonsense pretty much assures me theyre loving posers or completely retarded. all my meals were loving provided, i would have starved to death if left to my own devices

tankfish
May 31, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

I think you need to cite some sources on this one, because most of the preppers I see are wannabes or fakers. Or their "military experience" consists of failing out of Boot Camp or participating in some local militia group.
They are probably full of it. I live in the oil patch for reference and my job forces me to deal with preppers and steroid junkies all the drat time. Wouldn't doubt it's all dumb roleplay.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Oh I widely suspect it, but can't verify it.

I remember when the army started implementation of bullshit online classes and only wanted the certificate printed at the end. I'd get someone who already took it, scan it, photoshop change names and suddenly my whole section was done with their bullshit without spending four hours at the screen.

I'm sure they've fixed some of that poo poo by tying AKO to whatever the unit wants its soldiers to hahahaha who the gently caress am I kidding.

Even better are the training courses where it just asks you to fill in your name at the end and then prints a certificate based on that. I have an Anti-terrorism Training certificate made out to Osama bin Laden floating around my office somewhere.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If they still work that way, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. It just took less time to photoshop it after someone already did the leg work.

I watched Pentagon Wars again tonight because it's been for goddamn ever so thanks to whoever mentioned it in whichever thread earlier. Made me really not ever want to miss the army in any rose-tinted way whatsoever.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

If they still work that way, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. It just took less time to photoshop it after someone already did the leg work.

I watched Pentagon Wars again tonight because it's been for goddamn ever so thanks to whoever mentioned it in whichever thread earlier. Made me really not ever want to miss the army in any rose-tinted way whatsoever.

For those civilians that watch pentagon wars and think that it's maybe a little over the top, just google "F-35".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

CongoJack posted:

How many guys have Punisher tattoos?

Every MP and Admin since 1998

• Locked thread