Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Can't help but feel that 50 metre penalties should be reduced for the women's game given 80% of the kicks are going 30 or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CARN THE DEES

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Game paused due to lightning.

They are on half time break now, will come out to play the last 3 minutes of Q2, then swap ends and start Q3.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

drunkill posted:

Game paused due to lightning.

They are on half time break now, will come out to play the last 3 minutes of Q2, then swap ends and start Q3.

Thanks, was confusing. Another "benefit" of playing with in the middle of a paddock

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
6,500 in the crowd. That means over 50, 000 for Round 1 of the comp.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Brisbane with the lead and the wind in wet weather. Not particularly hopeful.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to be stuck following two bad teams tbh

I'm no longer nervous

:negative:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Even Pearce has been poo poo today, tackled a lot but gave away frees, turned it over and got caught with the ball.

And to top it all off I'm in loving Cranbourne

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
On the upside, at least Brisbane have a competitive team now.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Wow, come from behind win by Brissy. Great job considering the conditions.
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/828129763969495041
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/828131506174373889
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/828144606894190594

What a great weekend of footy, pity about the media ruining it by not having it be shown anywhere. All games for this first season should be on FTA. Basically 1 game per week is getting any radio coverage too, which is pretty poor considering Grandstand and SEN should be covering things. I listened to grandstand while at the game which was a real help getting to know the players. Stuff like this needs to be looked at over the next 7 weeks.

Over 50,000 attending the first weekend is pretty great, considering the capacity issues and one of those games being out in the middle of whoop whoop up ship creek in Casey Fields. Government really needs to re-open the trainline there, can have a station right next to the stadium, 50m from the entrance if the trains came back this way.

Carlton ontop of the ladder at the end of Round 1 in 2017. :getin:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Very disappointed at Grandstand's showing, it was pretty poor of them.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
One thing about the lower scoring and fewer teams is that percentage is going to play a much larger part in proceedings than in the men's

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

One thing about the lower scoring and fewer teams is that percentage is going to play a much larger part in proceedings than in the men's

Also the fact that there's no finals series just a grand final for the top 2

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Turns out I had tipped wrong, (as in I didn't tip the teams I thought I had tipped.) So instead of getting the 3 I thought I deserved, I ended up getting 1

I is an idiot.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I tipped wrong because I thought the good teams were bad and the bad teams were good

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Age posted:

A group of intruders, some believed to have been armed with baseball bats, have broken into a house where four footballers were sleeping, stealing their cars.

Three Essendon footballers and a VFL player had their cars stolen in an aggravated burglary at their home in Melbourne's west last week. A neighbour said she saw the footballers run after the cars screaming.

Victoria Police confirmed at burglars broke into a property in Maribyrnong just after 4am last Friday and stole wallets and the keys to a Mazda, two Holden Commodores and a Volkswagen. It is believed there were at least four offenders.

The house is occupied by four footballers; AFL listed players Shaun McKernan, Jayden Laverde and Connor McKenna, as well as Victorian Football League defender James Ferry.

The players were asleep inside at the time and by the time they realised they were being robbed, the offenders were fleeing the property.

None of the players were harmed but they are believed to be quite shaken.

Sherry Detering, who lives across the road, said she was woken up by the sound of the Volkswagen crashing in front of the house.

An offender got out and jumped into one of the other stolen cars.

Ms Detering said the players ran after the cars screaming.

"We heard this great big crash. All we saw were the cars speeding off in opposite directions," Ms Detering said.

"It's lucky they weren't hurt themselves, it's bad enough having a car stolen."

Police said the thieves arrived at the property in a stolen Toyota Camry, which has since been recovered in Maribyrnong.

The Volkswagen stolen from the property has also been recovered nearby and the two Holden Commodores were found in the western suburbs on Sunday during a police operation.

The Mazda is still missing.

They probably thought they were hitting a stash house.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The Pats are the American Hawthorn

gently caress Hawthorn and gently caress the Pats

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Also gently caress golden goal rules. It's worse in gridiron because it comes down to a coin flip to see who receives first, but the lack of right to reply is absurd.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

boy undead posted:

Also gently caress golden goal rules. It's worse in gridiron because it comes down to a coin flip to see who receives first, but the lack of right to reply is absurd.

If the receiver scores on the first drive there's a right of reply isn't there?

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Solemn Sloth posted:

If the receiver scores on the first drive there's a right of reply isn't there?

Apparently not. Pats won the toss, received, went down field for a touchdown and that was that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

boy undead posted:

Apparently not. Pats won the toss, received, went down field for a touchdown and that was that.

What the gently caress I would have bet money on that not being the case. That is dumb as gently caress.

E: oh, actually I think it's that you can't win from a field goal off the first drive. Still dumb as gently caress,

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
If the Hawks had done that in a GF I would have done something violent

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
The NFL tie break procedures have always been confusingly bad to me.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not bad numbers considering only two games were shown nationally on FTA. Well, technically only one game nationally since the WB v Freo game wasn't shown in Adelaide.Hopefully more games move to Channel 7 or 7mate for the remaining 6 rounds.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Yeah, that was the stupidest way to end it they could possibly have.

At least the AFL decided on two 5min halves before golden goal comes in. Just going straight to golden goal would be horrible.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

I think the GWS ruck is the biggest woman I've ever seen in person, but she's big like Liz Cambage, low jump and not hugely mobile. Metcalfe has nearly 30cm on her after jumping, and she's got some quality palming skills, certainly the most impressive of the four rucks I've seen so far.

The Marinator is boss though, and Phillips seems to have a huge fitness advantage. She is an Olympian coming off a WNBA season, so it's expected.

Looks like at least 8k here.

I was at the game too :3: Had a great time despite the rain. Great to finally see the team play, you can really tell the difference between athletes from other sports and the rest. Phillips was brilliant in the second half and Randall is a machine. Marinof was brilliant.

I am also officially in love with Sarah Perkins :allears: :swoon:

NTRabbit - you're not wrong about Metcalfe. She literally won every ruck contest except one in the first half, and after half time they were using other rucks a bit. Most of her taps looked to go to advantage too, though it's hard to say for sure since it was pretty fumbly out there.

Hope I can get free enough to go to the Norwood game in a few weeks :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

I was at the game too :3: Had a great time despite the rain. Great to finally see the team play, you can really tell the difference between athletes from other sports and the rest. Phillips was brilliant in the second half and Randall is a machine. Marinof was brilliant.

I am also officially in love with Sarah Perkins :allears: :swoon:

NTRabbit - you're not wrong about Metcalfe. She literally won every ruck contest except one in the first half, and after half time they were using other rucks a bit. Most of her taps looked to go to advantage too, though it's hard to say for sure since it was pretty fumbly out there.

Hope I can get free enough to go to the Norwood game in a few weeks :)

The first tap of the game was a nice bit of wrist work that went straight into the bread basket of a sprinting Marinator, which set the tone, though she made a bit of a nervy fumble if memory serves and didn't get a clean kick away.

Also, neither ruck girl was as tall as I thought they were, a trick of perspective and standing next to a lot of really short team mates - the GWS ruck is the tallest in the comp, but still shorter than me. Given that most, if not all, of the GSs and GKs in the ANZ championship, and quite a few of the GDs and GAs, are taller than I am, I was expecting the same.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
How tall are we talking?

I noticed a lot of the players looked really short, would love to know the averages

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Unless my brother lied to me the GWS ruck is 189cm

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

quote:

Melbourne's Richelle Cranston, Fremantle defender Ebony Antonio and Western Bulldog Kirsty Lamb...

...get to tell their grandkids they were the first ones rubbed out for a game in the womens comp.

ZombieJesus posted:

How tall are we talking?

I noticed a lot of the players looked really short, would love to know the averages

One thing I was surprised at is how willowy a lot of the girls are. I just figured they would have some meat on them like most mens players do.

I eagerly await the female equivalent to Cameron Ling

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 6, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Three incidents with the MRP:
http://afl.com.au/news/2017-02-06/three-players-offered-onegame-aflw-bans-

Ebony Antonio (Freo) careless conduct medium impact to head; Kirsty Lamb (Bulldogs) careless conduct high impact to head & Richelle Cranston (Demons) front-on contact with medium impact to head were all offered one match bans with early guilty pleas.

E; fb

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 6, 2017

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

hiddenmovement posted:

...get to tell their grandkids they were the first ones rubbed out for a game in the womens comp.

One thing I was surprised at is how willowy a lot of the girls are. I just figured they would have some meat on them like most mens players do.

I mentioned it before but I actually noticed a few girls seem to have bulked up a fair bit, at least in comparison to how they looked around the time of the all star game last year. For example I remember in that game noticing Brianna Green who looked tiny and I was amazed how she wasn't just pulverized at any contest. But then seeing her for Freo on the weekend, and she's still small but looked like she had a fair amount more muscle on her just from the pre-season work I imagine.

What do they do during the rather large off season? I assume most would go back to their original clubs and it would be business as normal, but do they have free access to the AFL training facilities too or have more official AFLW training at all or is that pretty much all put on hold until the start of their official pre-season again?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

seeing your av, here's a story you'd like: two years ago I was at the USAFL national tournament, waiting to play in our divisional final (we lost to Portland, who if you've seen Portlandia confirmed all stereotypes, and I barely got a hit-out). Montreal was playing Sacramento in their div final, Sacto was a team that was not exactly well-liked, even more so when they tried to do a head-count. during the head count I managed to get more than a few people to loudly chant GO HABS GO! and then OLE, OLE OLE OLE, OLE, OLE! whenever Montreal did something well.

Portland always looks Portlandia as gently caress, and the team's won their division at Nationals two years on the trot :smug: played for them before moving to Japan, now I'm with a club in Tokyo.

Need to catch up on the other matches from AFLW this weekend but very impressed so far. Love seeing the support it's getting too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
By the way, replays of games quarter by quarter are being uploaded to this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCpYawpeS6vUgtiLdZCi8QRQ

I am sort of surprised Bri Davey wasn't taken to the MRP with this high tackle. I suppose it wasn't malicious.
http://i.imgur.com/QTcsGZQ.gifv

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

drunkill posted:

By the way, replays of games quarter by quarter are being uploaded to this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCpYawpeS6vUgtiLdZCi8QRQ

Already taken down.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The first tap of the game was a nice bit of wrist work that went straight into the bread basket of a sprinting Marinator, which set the tone, though she made a bit of a nervy fumble if memory serves and didn't get a clean kick away.

Also, neither ruck girl was as tall as I thought they were, a trick of perspective and standing next to a lot of really short team mates - the GWS ruck is the tallest in the comp, but still shorter than me. Given that most, if not all, of the GSs and GKs in the ANZ championship, and quite a few of the GDs and GAs, are taller than I am, I was expecting the same.

Bit different playing GS and GK in netball though, you don't have to do much movement in those positions and height is a gigantic advantage in netball where the passes are so much more accurate and it's so much more difficult to legally spoil the ball.

Still, 189cm is around 6'3" which is drat tall for a woman. I'm 190cm and I'm pretty sure that puts me at around the 95 percentile for men of my generation in Australia, for women it must be in the top fraction of a percent already.

Metcalfe for the Crows is 185cm I think.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
According to some random website I found, in Australia a height of 190cm would put a woman in the 99.996th percentile, meaning only one in 27300 are taller.

Only one in 445 women are taller than 182cm

There you go. I'm 182 and very very rarely meet women taller than me, that explains why

Fun to play with:
https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
My girlfriend is only a few cm shorter than my 191cm self, and has never played a sport until I convince her that we could form the backbone of a killer mixed netball team but man I've never thought of those percentiles before....

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not afl related but I want everyone at Telstra to burn in loving hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

realbez posted:

Not afl related but I want everyone at Telstra to burn in loving hell

Thrive On