Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Your list didn't load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

It's better than anything ABC's ever done to promote IndyCars so...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

It's better than anything ABC's ever done to promote IndyCars so...

Yeah which is pretty much going "hey uh there's a race this weekend. maybe watch it? I don't know....."

To their credit? They cover the race well...they just don't know how to promote it worth a drat. The reverse is true with Fox Sports and Cup post-2004 or so.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 7, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

No matter how dumb it is (and I look at it as more "grossly out of touch" than "offensive"), we're all talking about it.

We're not the intended audience for the ad, but NASCAR would probably consider that a victory nonetheless.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

LASTCAR posted:

Your list didn't load.

it was one of those screams that was so high pitched only a dog could hear it

that dog did hear it, and he didn't care either

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

it was one of those screams that was so high pitched only a dog could hear it

that dog did hear it, and he didn't care either

I'm a millennial so I can hear it too

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Maybe I don't want casual people to watch the goddamn 500, you ever think of that? That's how we got Brian France and his marketing buddies running poo poo.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
not wanting casuals to do a thing is why the Falcons fell apart

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Maybe I don't want casual people to watch the goddamn 500, you ever think of that? That's how we got Brian France and his marketing buddies running poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agrxvRaQICc

What do you mean, peanut?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Harveygod posted:

Mehhhh. I'm adding my voice to the "Daytona Day isn't a bad campaign" opinion. The commercial during the Super Bowl even seemed fine. Drivers saying how they used to watch it was normal and non-bullshitty. "Hey, there's a car race and car races are fun have people over your house and watch it" is simple and fuuuuuck NASCAR could use some goddamn simple right now.

Other than the song I liked the commercial. NASCAR is a perpetual poo poo show, but every spring I get excited for racing. :unsmith:

It'll all be ruined by Vegas of course but oh well.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

It'll all be ruined by Vegas of course but oh well.

You're much too optimistic. It'll be ruined with DW says his first Boogity.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Remember last year's Daytona 500 only had one good mile and had a bad winner

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I didn't really watch commercial but I'm guessing if NASCAR wasn't so ham-fisted with the Daytona Day title it would've been an average commercial if they just dropped Daytona Day title?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

I didn't really watch commercial but I'm guessing if NASCAR wasn't so ham-fisted with the Daytona Day title it would've been an average commercial if they just dropped Daytona Day title?

Nah, not really. It was really ham fisted in general, making it seem like regular people treat it like the super bowl

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Nah, not really. It was really ham fisted in general, making it seem like regular people treat it like the super bowl

I'm trying to figure out how you would indeed get "regular people" to watch it.

I think in some ways you kinda have to get "car fans" back into watching it first to be perfectly honest, but NASCAR seems rather hellbent in turning those types away.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

not wanting casuals to do a thing is why the Falcons fell apart

y-yeah?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmQrVyK6ZoY

Was that so hard? It's a more traditional ad and gets my attention much more than a chees--

https://twitter.com/cpk_diecast/status/826612672636522496

:aaaaa:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I mean if you really want to sell the 500 look no further than LASTCAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaT-mS2JNM

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I mean if you really want to sell the 500 look no further than LASTCAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaT-mS2JNM

When I first saw the new round of "DAYTONA DAY" ads that thought immediatly came to mind. "Just hire LASTCAR and call it a day"

PYF NASCAR/Daytona 500 teases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibhdXuAx4U&

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My wife just looked at me funny as I was getting a coke from the Fridge while singing "DAYYYTOOOOONNAAAAA" without realizing what I was doing.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

They're not commercials for the 500, but gently caress it, they're my favorites.

Nick Offerman for NBC:
https://youtu.be/eaaz5a3DlNY

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday at the Brickyard:
https://youtu.be/xnqjTWUuz3Q

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/video/main-gallery/gallagher-pacifism-got-me-nowhere-82349/?s=2

NASCAR 2017: Someone Comes At You, Put 'Em On The Ground, 'Cause They're Gonna Fine You All The Same.

NASCAR 2017: Pacifism Got Me Nowhere

I have a big, goofy grin at my desk and am trying my hardest not to laugh in appreciation.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/8/nascar-damaged-vehicle-policy-update-2017.html

quote:

Under the guidelines, teams no longer will be allowed to replace damaged body parts that are the result of accidents or contact. Repairs, such as fixing damaged sheet metal, will be allowed; however, teams will be given five minutes to fix damage once they enter pit road. If the damage requires the car to go behind pit wall or to the garage for repairs, the car will not be allowed to return to the race. Also, if the repairs take longer than the five minutes allowed, the car will not be permitted to return to the race.

I can't wait til we hit a track that Goodyear brings a hosed up tire and half the field has to retire because of this.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Daytona 500 will be broken into 60-60-80 segments.

Slickdrac posted:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/articles/2017/2/8/nascar-damaged-vehicle-policy-update-2017.html

I can't wait til we hit a track that Goodyear brings a hosed up tire and half the field has to retire because of this.

quote:

"What they won't see is stuff we don't like to see, cars running around out there with stuff flying off," he said. "We don't like that because it creates yellows,

The sport which is creating deliberate cautions in the form of segments and thinks bunching up the field is a good thing for restarts doesn't want debris cautions.

After they created the Caution Clock.

Despite denying phantom cautions were deliberately put out for excitement.

It's also punishing drivers for getting in wrecks (e- In spite of being pushed to race harder).

I just :psyboom:

e2- It really feels like they're in "Let's throw every idea we have up against the wall and see what sticks so we can say 'we tried' before the ship sinks completely.".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 8, 2017

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Won't this just make more problems? Instead of going behind the wall, teams will try and fix a totaled car on pit road and send it back out after five minutes. I mean, lol. What are they even doing?

Also, is there anything about pits being closed when the segments are finishing? At longer tracks, people are just gonna pit on the last lap (Glen, Sonoma, Dega, Pocono, Daytona, Indy) to get track position.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Who's ready for :siren: MONSTER ENERGY FANTASY NASCAR CUP 2017 :siren:?

https://racing.fantasysports.yahoo.com/auto/group/4769

ID: 4769
PW: SRA

von Manstein posted:

More bad news....

A certain 1990 Daytona 500 winner isn't gonna be in the Xfinity series this year...

"What an amazing three years.

Fielding a full time Xfinity car for the past three seasons was certainly a time we will never forget!

We are blessed to have garnered great relationships, had many new opportunities, and of course had a few great runs!

But, our time in the Xfinity Series has come to a close, along with our recent partnership with JP Motorsports.

We look forward to 2017 with renewed vigor, and will keep you all in the loop as to what our plans will be!"

HOLD THE PHONE

quote:

Former Daytona 500 champion Derrike Cope will be returning to the most elite division of NASCAR in the Monster Energy Cup Series in 2017 with Premium Motorsports. Cope will be running a limited schedule in the #55, with the possibility of a full schedule dependent on sponsorship beginning in Atlanta in March. With over 700 top three series NASCAR starts, the far majority being in the Cup Series, Cope's career started in Winston West ( now K&N ) and spans 35 years with multiple wins.(Derrike Cope Racing)(2-8-2017)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's telling me that password is incorrect

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slickdrac posted:

Daytonna field could be really small after a wreck. I do like the policy though, as I'm not a fan of wrecked drivers bring their cars back out to take revenge on whoever they think put them into the wall.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CBJSprague24 posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/video/main-gallery/gallagher-pacifism-got-me-nowhere-82349/?s=2

NASCAR 2017: Someone Comes At You, Put 'Em On The Ground, 'Cause They're Gonna Fine You All The Same.

NASCAR 2017: Pacifism Got Me Nowhere

I have a big, goofy grin at my desk and am trying my hardest not to laugh in appreciation.

All that gym work for nothing since Spencer's would have been punching bag retired.

I think the no body panels thing would have worked better if 40th through 30th or hell 25th was worth the same points and not to 35th. More or less they're trying to keep cost of putting on body panels and try to keep badly damaged cars off the track. This will probably work at all tracks but Daytona and Talladega.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

L_Harrison posted:

Won't this just make more problems? Instead of going behind the wall, teams will try and fix a totaled car on pit road and send it back out after five minutes. I mean, lol. What are they even doing?

I can't wait for a car with poo poo hanging off of it flying back onto the track because their 5 minutes was almost up and jumps in front of the entire field LePage-style.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
On the plus side, this means more modifieds on track once teams just start cutting noses off because it's faster.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's telling me that password is incorrect

I may have done all caps out of habit when I posted in the thread by mistake.

I just changed it to all caps SRA.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
In as CloppingKeselowski

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
In as President Derrike Cope!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For Viking. Here ya go

https://twitter.com/Rojodi/status/829521548201644032

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lot of ANGEERY reacts on every new Nascar Facebook post hmmm

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's actually all my facebook alts sorry to break the illusion

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

That's Dave Kneisel, I think at Fonda. He was an upstate guy but he ran OCFS a ton, including in that car.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I can't tell if half the field getting junked in the first stage is no worse than any normal plate race or it's going to make the race somehow worse/more laughable which, in turn, will lead NASCAR to dump the system at Daytona and Talladega at some point.

I remember the 2014 Coke Zero 400 having most of the field gone by the time the rains came. Jeff Gordon finished 12th barely able to keep up with the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Races with like 10 cars left own

• Locked thread