Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ciaphas posted:

Factorio bug's bit again. Don't suppose there's such a thing as goon or other community multiplayer servers out there, or is it still kind of a friends-only affair?

Arumba has a permanent community server running. I don't have info offhand, but it's in his discord server's pinned messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Is there any way to have a better view of what is in the logistics network than the tooltip over the network?

That tooltip doesn't fit everything and is covered up by the equipment HUD.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

damnfan posted:

Is there any way to have a better view of what is in the logistics network than the tooltip over the network?

Nope! It's on the list of things they're trying to fix in a recent blog post, at least

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

damnfan posted:

There are a couple of mods that can help.
* Advanced Logistics Systems - iirc is a research tech that provides a window similar to production, though I haven't really used it properly yet.
* Minimap autohide - you can toggle the mini map on/off with hotkey.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately, Advanced Logistics Systems is super resource intensive for some reason.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

That's what experimental releases are for. They put those out fairly regularly.
there haven't been any 0.15 branch experimentals as far as I know, and that's where all the new stuff including the tech tree is.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bhodi posted:

there haven't been any 0.15 branch experimentals as far as I know, and that's where all the new stuff including the tech tree is.

Which means the work on 0.15 isn't anywhere near completion yet, unfortunately.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A tileable reactor capable of cold-starting because why not?

(There's a boiler both sides of each cooling tower, fed by a burner inserter with a circuit condition to turn off if the reactor core temp is > 100).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Pretty Gotlag but where's the blueprint string hmm? ;)

The new FFF is up and talks about belt optimisation mostly - https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-176

I loved this bit at the end though

quote:

If you remember from the previous FFF, our map downloader was having some extremely rare problems with some mysterious packets that would always get filtered over the Internet. We already had a fix for it, but I was curious what was going on. Thanks to the investigative power of the Factorio community, we found out that all those mysterious packets, before NAT, had a checksum of 0xFFFF. Admalledd from the forum sent some hand-crafted packets through his Internet connection and surprise, all packets would go through, except those with a checksum of 0xFFFF or 0x0000. At this point I would just assume this ISP(and some other few ISPs around the world) have some faulty hardware or software that do not handle these special cases of UDP checksums.

How good is that? They actually got to the bottom of such a gnarly problem rather than shrug and say "Not our problem, don't care."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Saw an update to Factorio in Steam, got excited for .15, read the FF and found it's only a hotfix for that packet issue and an Nvidia driver issue.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Saw an update to Factorio in Steam, got excited for .15, read the FF and found it's only a hotfix for that packet issue and an Nvidia driver issue.

Same :smith:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Ratzap posted:

Pretty Gotlag but where's the blueprint string hmm? ;)

The new FFF is up and talks about belt optimisation mostly - https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-176

I loved this bit at the end though

How good is that? They actually got to the bottom of such a gnarly problem rather than shrug and say "Not our problem, don't care."

The last post as of this moment even gets to the point by which the RFCs that say, yep, 0x0000/0xffff are invalid. I found it interesting that the RFCs even say that this can cause puzzling errors.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Tesla was right posted:

I'm getting disenchanted with bob's mods because it does little to incentivize pumping huge amounts of resources around - there comes a point where most of my factory is idle and my trains are sitting in their unloading depots.

Are there any other big mods which offer similar fun stuff (better assemblers, turrets and vehicles) without adding a dozen new resources?
I was wondering something similar. How is Angels ore stuff without Bobs? Does it basically just mean you have saphirite and you use that for iron and copper? I've been playing an Angels + Bobs (just Angels ore, not petrochem) and the ridiculous number of resources and processing chains is just too much for me.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

mastermind2004 posted:

I was wondering something similar. How is Angels ore stuff without Bobs? Does it basically just mean you have saphirite and you use that for iron and copper? I've been playing an Angels + Bobs (just Angels ore, not petrochem) and the ridiculous number of resources and processing chains is just too much for me.

Yeah, from what I remember it was only four ores but they had all that processing to get the iron/copper.

(I personally didn't find it fun)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there an ETA for this new update? I'm holding off on playing cause I wanna start a new map, but wanna do it when the new update hits.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
They had in the past said probably sometime in February, but nothing more concrete than that. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in March, the devs have a pretty high attention to quality.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Flow Control updated! Now includes float valves, which permit flow only when the destination is <80% full

I can't think of any vanilla uses for these off the top of my head but they're pretty handy for Reactors fuel processing, only producing fresh slurry when reprocessed slurry dips.

You can also use them in combination with overflow valves to tap "surplus" hot water from operating reactors and inject it into a shared hot water line to power pumps on inactive reactors (with an entirely burner-powered coal-fired backup if no plants are online).

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
I've noticed in some screenshots there is an achievement progress UI for some people. Is that a mod or a setting?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

damnfan posted:

I've noticed in some screenshots there is an achievement progress UI for some people. Is that a mod or a setting?
No, you open the achievement menu in the game and click on the particular achievement to track it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ShadowHawk posted:

No, you open the achievement menu in the game and click on the particular achievement to track it.

Niftiest goddamned thing too. Especially if you're inflicting Lazy Bastard upon yourself so you see how close you are to loving by one mis-click on your crafting menu.

Remember kiddies, need to save one craft for your initial oil refinery! Can't build them in level 2 assemblers, and level 3's are hidden behind blue science.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What do we know that .15 is going to bring, if anything? Still debating starting a new game versus waiting for the update. It's like the Paradox Curse :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
From here:

Planned:
  • Nuclear power
  • Blueprint preservation (Export/import blueprints)
  • Update optimizations (belts + pipes)
  • Research Revolution
  • Multithreaded update (This is the first experiment with that, only some entities will get multithreaded update, we will probably improve it later on)
  • Liquid wagon + universal barrelling
  • High res graphics introduction (This means just some parts of the game will be in high res in this version)
  • New terrain
  • Gui reskin and possible improvements
  • Circuit network improvements and optimisations
  • Allow loading games with different mod settings (and automatically download the mods if necessary)

Maybe:
  • Scenario pack extension
  • Surprise with 8-10 legs
  • Interactive mini tutorials

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ciaphas posted:

What do we know that .15 is going to bring, if anything? Still debating starting a new game versus waiting for the update. It's like the Paradox Curse :v:

At least going by Friday Facts, they've added or changed a few things from the list Solumin posted:

Primarily: Nuclear power, combat rebalancing, and new science progression (moving stuff into new side-tiers like "military," "production," or "high-tech;" infinite researchables).

Secondarily: Belt optimization, programmable speakers*, better GUI modding, coloring train stations, better blueprint UI, and a redone nightvision filter.

Also, lots of backend.

*which also allow custom alerts like the "you are getting attacked" popups

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Are they adding steam and cooling towers in this version???

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ElMaligno posted:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-173

read for yourself.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ElMaligno posted:

Steam yes, cooling towers no (booo)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
My friend bought me this game to play with him even though he knows I'm a huge idiot moron who will never be able to grok all these systems. Is the official guide in the OP still up to date? Is that the best place to learn how to do stuff?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Streamers are how I learned how to fiddle with this bonsai tree. I recommend ARavingLoon for a more relaxed approach, KathrineofSky for something a bit more rigorous, and Xterminator for maximum sperg.

Edit: all on YouTube, the later two have straight up tutorials about specific systems.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Streamers are how I learned how to fiddle with this bonsai tree. I recommend ARavingLoon for a more relaxed approach, KathrineofSky for something a bit more rigorous, and Xterminator for maximum sperg.

Edit: all on YouTube, the later two have straight up tutorials about specific systems.

watching streamers is good if you wanna see how other people tackle problems and maximize efficiency, but I think the way I started off playing is the most enjoyable way: just play a few games doing your own thing, coming up with your own solutions, being as spaghetti as you want. when you get bored of your own maps, or they become horrible messes that are just impossible to build upon, start over but take ideas that other people have implemented and try and do them yourself. it'll be so refreshing when you realise you could have done it this way all along and leaves you appreciating it fully due to the time and effort you put in earlier maps.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I actually started playing the game because oh my god this guy is missing really obvious poo poo and has awful designs and spends way too much time messing around with inane poo poo and I can totally do everything better

And then I started playing and ended up spending a whole bunch of time missing really obvious poo poo and messing around with totally inane pointless stuff. Had a blast.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jabor posted:

I actually started playing the game because oh my god this guy is missing really obvious poo poo and has awful designs and spends way too much time messing around with inane poo poo and I can totally do everything better

And then I started playing and ended up spending a whole bunch of time missing really obvious poo poo and messing around with totally inane pointless stuff. Had a blast.

10/10, I used to hate watching let's play videos of Factorio because it'd trigger me so hard when they did things awfully. But then I realised I'm just as bad as them cause I do lots of things awfully.

The one guy I can watch and not get an aneurysm from is MangledPorkGaming, because he and I think really similarly in terms of builds. I also love his voice, he's super soothing.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

MMF Freeway posted:

My friend bought me this game to play with him even though he knows I'm a huge idiot moron who will never be able to grok all these systems. Is the official guide in the OP still up to date? Is that the best place to learn how to do stuff?

If you want a nice chill 'play and learn along with' guide. Try this:

Negative Root - beginners guide series

As you watch the videos, switch back to factorio, set up a map with the same settings and do what's just been covered as you go along.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

We're supposed to be getting a Lua event for Market events, too. Nothing for vanilla, but scenarios (including multiplayer pvp stuff) that involve teams or anything resembling a simulated economy or dynamic prices should start to show up.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
They really need to get an experimental release out there soon or it's going to be months and months of bugfixes as the dozen disparate systems they've created all co-mingle and spawn edge cases. My deep need to play 0.15 is entirely coincidental.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

They really need to get an experimental release out there soon or it's going to be months and months of bugfixes as the dozen disparate systems they've created all co-mingle and spawn edge cases. My deep need to play 0.15 is entirely coincidental.

Heh, your logic is impeccable. I fully support this motion.

I spent a while last night swapping mod folders and updating everything. To my complete lack of surprise the Angels/Bobs save I have almost 3 days played in comes up with a 'corrupt file' message and refuses to load. A much less played version of the same save loads fine so I can only conclude that the author has changed too much without migration paths. That'll teach me to play painful unfinished crap (maybe).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I figured I'd share my current reactor setup. Currently sitting at 220 Turbines.

13 reactors per side per stack. Green wire kicks the whole shebang south to the monitoring/control station. Next to each large pole is a decider that is assigned "Letter" > 0 => Output reactor shutdown signal into each individual core's network.

The red wire network handles each local reactor. The input pumps are set to water <300 and water <360. This naturally gives priority to water leaving the cooling tower, which i've included a tank buffer for since rev 1 wanted to sputter a little bit. One output pump is set to run when temp > 98. The other pump is temp >95 OR 'shutdown/overheat logic'. shutdown/overheat is true if reactor temp is >180 (Latched until <155) OR reactor overheated OR reactor shutting down, and that causes the upper output pump to push water through the turbine and kicks on the cooling tower pump.

I've found that one cooling tower easily handles two reactors, and would normally even be fine for 4 if my factory wasn't experiencing 500MW power swings every few minutes.

Next project is improving what I call the dispatch logic. Right now I just have it set to constant combinators and when I don't need as much power I input some letters A-Z to shutdown the corresponding reactor. I'm trying to think of a good way for it to decide to spool up or shutdown reactors if average power sits in a certain band for long enough. I could brute force it but that isn't elegant.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Whoever is the one who is handling that nuclear mod, they really ought to contact Factorio devs and offer that nuclear tower as a sprite. It looks fantastic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

Whoever is the one who is handling that nuclear mod, they really ought to contact Factorio devs and offer that nuclear tower as a sprite. It looks fantastic.

That would end badly. It's ripped from SimCity 4.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've had my eye on this game for a while and a couple of weeks ago I finally gave in and bought it. It is the most amazing game I have ever played, I haven't been able to stop playing it at all because it's so addictive. I love city builders like Anno and Sim City so this really gets my logistic juice flowing.

I've managed to work out a fair bit myself and reading this topic (even though I still haven't touched the wires and logistic system beyond building huge numbers of robots and roboports), however I have a have a problem I'm not sure how I can deal with.

Near the end of my main resource bus belt, the items (copper plates right now) that I need a lot of to make other things like green circuits, are low in volume but way back near the start of the bus as they come out of the smelter area they are very high in volume, with the copper plates barely moving off the smelters because I have so many.

How can I improve this so more of the copper is getting to where it's needed further along the bus? Should I have multiple belts leading up through my base, or a dedicated line from the smelters to problem areas such as the green circuit production?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

RoboJoe posted:

I've had my eye on this game for a while and a couple of weeks ago I finally gave in and bought it. It is the most amazing game I have ever played, I haven't been able to stop playing it at all because it's so addictive. I love city builders like Anno and Sim City so this really gets my logistic juice flowing.

I've managed to work out a fair bit myself and reading this topic (even though I still haven't touched the wires and logistic system beyond building huge numbers of robots and roboports), however I have a have a problem I'm not sure how I can deal with.

Near the end of my main resource bus belt, the items (copper plates right now) that I need a lot of to make other things like green circuits, are low in volume but way back near the start of the bus as they come out of the smelter area they are very high in volume, with the copper plates barely moving off the smelters because I have so many.

How can I improve this so more of the copper is getting to where it's needed further along the bus? Should I have multiple belts leading up through my base, or a dedicated line from the smelters to problem areas such as the green circuit production?

Up to you. Those are both decent solutions to your problem. A third solution is dedicated smelters for high-demand consumers, backed by dedicated mines and trains and outposts and dedicated stations and blueprinted defense posts and lasers!
the world is extremely your oyster