Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
One little bit of housekeeping: each post should begin with the dreams (if any) you want to award for the posts before yours, as well as a current count of your Dreams/Wonder/Feelings.

Clover Town Stories
Episode One: Cleaning the Shrine

It's another hot, sunny summer day in Clover.

The kids are all out of school, and most are in the middle of enjoying their vacation.
Some of the older kids are studying for the important tests they'll be taking when they go back to school.
Some of the even older kids are out working under the hot sun, earning some summer spending cash in the big orchards at the edge of town.

Far on the other end of town, near a forested mountain path, lies the Clover shrine.
A weak, hot breeze blows through the long, over-grown weeds that choke the shrine on all sides.
In the front of the shrine, near the road leading into town, two young girls play at being jungle explorers among the tangled mass of weeds that makes up the front of the shrine plot.

Behind the shrine, in front of the small shintai - the small structure hosting the spirit of the Goddess of the shrine.
Floating in the air above the shrine is the Goddess of the shrine, Yotsuba.
Once she was a powerful Goddess who used her magic to bless the lives of the people in Clover.
Now, however, she glows very dimly, and her expression is troubled.

Yotsuba
"Now, my avatars, you have had some time to become accustomed to the powers I gave you.
It is time for you to go to work for me, and for this town.
Without the faith of the people, I cannot work my magic,
and without my magic, I fear darkness will take hold of the hearts of the people here.
Once, the man who runs this shrine was young and active.
He was a rally for the community, and a channel for their faith in me.
Now he is old, and spends much of his time resting.
The people have forgotten him, and this shrine.
Once my shrine was beautiful, a welcoming place for all who had weary hearts.
Now it is choked with weeds, a symbol of neglect.
So, avatars, this is the first task I give you:
You must gather help from the town and clean my shrine, this very day.
The magic I used to give you your powers was great, and it has left me weak.
If I cannot receive even this small show of faith from the people within the day,
I may fade from the heart of this town entirely.
But, finding any who are willing to come and work under the hot sun will be no easy task.
You must open your hearts to them, so that they will open their hearts to you.
I do not believe they have all completely lost their hearts just yet.
You must seek out those who still have the spark of faith within them.
There are two young girls playing in front of the shrine,
perhaps they can advise you on where to start.
Now go, my avatars!
You have little time, and much to do."

Having given her decree, Yotsuba faded from view, and her presence vanished from the shrine, leaving her 4 chosen helpers alone to consider their task.

Note: Yotsuba isn't available for giving Dreams to, or forging relationships with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Dreams: 0 | Wonder: 8 | Feelings: 5

My tail wagged back and forth as I looked at the spot where Yotsuba had vanished. Clean up the shrine? That sounded like a fun game! I bet all sorts of people would be happy to help. And even if everyone was busy, I'd take care of things! ...Wait, could I? Maybe the point was to get friends to do it? Aw heck, this whole faith business sounded really complicated.

Tsukimi would have some good ideas on what we should do. She was real smart! Making new friends sounded like a good first step to me, though! I bounced around excitedly and spun a few quick circles before settling down on my haunches. I bet they'd have all sorts of fun games to play. They might even know more people to play with.

I excitedly chuffed, "Let's make some friends! What do you think, Tsukimi?" My tongue lolled out and I started to daydream about all the pets I was gonna get today.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Nene, the lackadaisical tanuki

Dreams: 0 | Wonder: 5 | Feelings: 5

Nene rested her head in her paws.

"Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. It's amazing to even be awake in this heat. It's like a bath of cocoa." Nene stops for a moment, considering resting in the sweet substance. "I think we join in on their game, I mean it looks fun! Once we've got them all played out, they might wanna sit down with cocoa! Or... I guess... Lemonade? Apple juice? Sweeeeeeets..." Nene gets distracted and closes her eyes. "Yaaaaaaaaawn. Man it's hot. Wake me up when we decide on how we're gonna do this."

Nene stops moving, and her breathing slows.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yuu

Yuu narrows his eyes, then delivers a galloping headbutt to Nene's shoulder! That smarts - the fox may be tiny, but his head is like a brick.

"Get up, get up get up get up! Miss Yotsuba gave you an order! Sleep is for the week, and you don't have permission 'til next week! Come on, come on..."

Yuu begins the process of cajoling, shoving, and herding the other henge towards the kids playing in the scrub. Funny, though - he doesn't touch Kumo, just yaps at her.

Sticking in animal form for this first bit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Twitching her ears for a moment, Tsukimi looks over before flopping onto her back, letting her feet stick up in the air. "Gosh, cleaning it up ourselves sounds like a lot of work, so-" She rolls up to sit on her haunches. "Let's talk to those girls! And maybe find that old man! It's got to be humans that clean it up. Maybe we can lure them in with treats? Or tricks? Oh, it's not the right time of year for that, is it?" Holding her paws out as if having a vision, she says, "Oh, we could try and get them to have a festival! If we make it into a celebration, maybe it won't seem like work."

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
1 dream for everyone for showcasing your characters' personalities right out the gate!
I'm passing my turn this round. Once someone contacts the girls (or you decide to switch scenes and head somewhere else entirely) I'll jump back into the order.
Also just a note that going to the front of the shrine where the girls are will not count as a new scene.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 1 | Wonder: 2 | Feelings: 5

Everyone agreed! It was time to make new friends! Oh, happy day. It was hot and beautiful out and we were going to meet so many people. I supposed it would be better to look human, though, since it was pretty hard to explain everything when you couldn't talk! People usually just wanted to pet me which... That was great too! But that could wait until later!

In a flash, I leapt up into the air and changed! I softly landed on two legs, taking a minute to rise to my feet. It was still kind of weird balancing on two legs. Fun, but weird! I still hadn't quite gotten the hang of transforming, though, and I could feel my floppy tail poking out behind me. It wagged behind me as I grinned at the others, "Last one there owes me scritches!" With that, I loped off towards the front of the shrine where the girls were playing.

Assuming human form for 6 wonder! (4 for daytime, 2 for tail showing)

Tricky fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Huh? Wait!", Tsukimi called out, dashing after on her rabbity legs. "You can't just rush in without... with... oh, Yuu'll explain...", she says as she tries to keep pace. No need to rush out into the open of the shrine, though, let Kumo do the work... be brave... take the lead!

Going to give a Dream to Kumo for keeping things rolling!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Dreams: 1 | Wonder: 1 | Feelings: 5

Nene was jolted awake by the hammering of Yuu.

"Hey now, no need to get rude." Nene stretched standing up. With a slight twirl she became human, flattening out her pleated skirt. She looked to be in her teens, in a school uniform that seemed out of place on this bright sunny day. "There we go, another spotless transformation." Nene said proudly. She stretched her new human arms and yawned again longingly. "Right then Kumo, you ready to make some friends?" Nene smiled. She figured two children seeing a raccoon dog come out of the woods to play with them might be a tad alarming, so she had opted to change.

With a skip in her step, she bounced off to meet the children. "Maybe they have candies on them!"

Assuming human form for 4 wonder, for daytime

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 7, 2017

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

If Yuu had hands right now, he'd be facepalming.

He runs off after the two human-form henge, keeping to the underbrush that's the cause of the consternation. This was going to end badly, and it wasn't going to be his fault.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Tsukimi, Nene and Yuu should all have 1 Dream. I gave one to each of you in my last post! And 1 more dream for poor Yuu whose plans are all for naught.

The two girls playing at jungle safari in the dense, overgrown weeds in the front of the shrine appeared to be late elementary-school aged.
From up close it was apparent that they both had the same face, twins! Though it was a simple thing to tell them apart by their style and personalities.

Leading the 'expedition' was a cheerful girl wearing smudged jeans and a tank-top, her short hair was up in a brief ponytail. She swung a stick back and forth like a machete, blazing a trail for her sister.
Behind her came a more shy-looking girl in a simple summer dress that she was somehow managing to keep clean despite playing in the long weeds. Her hair was also short, and was pinned back behind her ear with pink hairclips.

Hearing the loud rustling of Kumo's approach, the girl in the lead poised, ready to strike. Lifting the stick high overhead, she got ready to give whatever was coming at them through the grass a big old whack!

Until her sister caught her arm, just in time to stop her from bonking Kumo on the head.

"Alma! You can't just whack people!"

"Sorry, didn't know it was gonna be people! I figured it was a jaguar!"

"We're not actually in the jungle, silly!"
The shy sister, cheeks blushing bright red, stepped forward and apologized.
"I'm sorry, my sister is a little too wild."

"Gotta be wild if you want to survive the jungle, Alice!"

"Oh, stop it! The game's over!"
After scolding her sister lightly, the girl who had been called Alice turned to Kumo and Nene.
"You came from the shrine, are you Mr. Elm's relatives?" she asked.

"We get loads of you guys every summer. That old geezer has to have a million grandkids or something!"

"Alma!"
Shooting her twin a dirty look, Alice turned back to Kumo and Nene with a shy smile.
"My name's Alice Weathers, and this is my sister, Alma."

"I'm the oldest! By a whole minute!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 2 | Feelings: 5

I leaped forward from the weeds and almost got bonked by a stick! Whoops, I guess I might have been a little too eager to meet my new friends. I bet Yuu's going to owe me scritches, though! Good thing he wasn't the first one out. They might have really hurt him by accident! I'm pretty tough, though, and they seem super nice and friendly. I smiled real big and said, "Hi new friends! I'm Kumo!" Of course, I guess they had asked something about Mr. Elm? Hm. Hmmmmmmm. Nope, no clue who that was! "Yotsuba asked me and my friends to help clean up the shrine. It got really messy and that made... her... sad... Stick!"

The stick that Alma was waving around looked like it would be really good for playing with! Ohhhh man. I wanted to get that stick. I wanted her to throw it and I'd get it and then she could throw it again and I'd get it again... forever! Wow. This really was the best day. I could feel my tail starting to thump against the weeds behind me.

I rocked back and forth, quivering with anticipation, "You should throw the stick, Alma! I can get it! I can get it so good!"

I'd like to make an impression check with Alma and Alice using Animal to impress them with how good Kumo is at playing!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nene tilts her head sideways, pouting at Alice. "Awww, but your game looked so much fun! But you know what would be even more fun? If we could get some more people and really cut through the dense underbrush of this jungle!"

Nene stops to think for a moment, "Do you know where Mr. Elm lives? I bet he knows plenty of people who would want to bushwhack with us!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 1 | Wonder: 5 | Feelings: 5

Tsukimi comes up alongside Yuu, and then puts a paw on him to prop herself up to see better. "Ah, they're brave, aren't they?" She leans over, speaking very quietly. "So, the festival idea's a good one, isn't it? It's the best idea, ha. What should we call it? The Shrine Festival? It lacks... um... piz... pizazz?"

I'll give Yuu a dream for being dully responsible!

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 8, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
A dream to Nene for that attempt at subtlety!

Tricky posted:

"Yotsuba asked me and my friends to help clean up the shrine. It got really messy and that made... her... sad... Stick!"

"Yotsuba? That's... the name of the goddess of the shrine..." Alice got a curious look on her face.

Tricky posted:

"You should throw the stick, Alma! I can get it! I can get it so good!"

"No way! This isn't for throwing. It's name is Jaguar Slasher, strongest machete in the jungle! Do you want to play Jungle Adventure, Kumo?" Alma broke through her sister's curiosity, excited to have someone new to play with. Something swishing in the long grass caught her eye, though, and she started to lean around Kumo to see what was making all the swishing...

Jade Mage posted:

"Awww, but your game looked so much fun! But you know what would be even more fun? If we could get some more people and really cut through the dense underbrush of this jungle!"

Both girls turned to look at Nene when she said this, then at each other.

"Clean all this...?"

"Cut down the jungle?"

The twins shared a doubtful look.

Jade Mage posted:

"Do you know where Mr. Elm lives? I bet he knows plenty of people who would want to bushwhack with us!"

Alice's eyebrows shot up, and she pointed behind Nene and Kumo at the shrine.

"Mr. Elm is the priest who keeps the shrine. Wait, you're not his relatives? Then... who?"

Both girls tilted their heads, looking at the two henge kids curiously.

Okay Kumo's Impression Check is returned. Alma's connection to Kumo will be 'Like' for now and I'd like to house-rule a 'Curiosity' connection for Alice's connection to Kumo.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 2 | Feelings: 3

A dream to Tsukimi for supervising first contact!

I tried to follow the conversation, I really did, but man it was tough! My eyes followed the stick as it waved through the air. It was a machete...? What was a machete? I don't know a lot of things, but I do know sticks! It looked like a really good one too. I bet it'd be a lot of fun to chew on... but if it's a machete, maybe not? Oh! I bet Alma could find a good stick if we played the Jungle Explorers game. That's a great plan. Good job, Kumo! I opened my mouth to say how excited I was to explore this jungle, when they both looked at us and asked us who we were again. Maybe they didn't hear us the first time. Or maybe they forgot! I sometimes forgot things when I'm excited.

I smiled and pointed to myself, "I'm Kumo!" I pointed to Nene. "That's Nene!" I vaguely waved in the direction of the thick brush. "Tsukimi and Yuu are back there somewhere, but they're shy."

I thought for a moment, then realized I was probably being silly. Maybe they wanted to know where we were from? I looked thoughtful for a moment. Where was I from? I usually slept kind of behind the school, so... I guess I'm from there! "I live by the school! Where do you two live?"

Spending a point of Feelings on each of the impression checks to make the initial strength of the connection to Alice and Alma 1. Kumo will start off Liking both of them.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 5 | Feelings: 5

"It's decided, then.", Tsukimi concludes to Yuu as she watches, before freezing like a stone as she's gestured to. What's Kumo doing? She's in stealth mode! You don't violate the stealth mode! Not cool!

After a moment, she gingerly steps out of the bush. She looks around, nose twitching. Careful. Get ready to bolt if they come too fast. Remember the ears.

Going to give Getsuya a dream because I can do that, for effortposting!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Going to give Getsuya a dream because I can do that, for effortposting!

Actually you definitely can (and should!) give dreams to NPCs because they will need dreams to strengthen their connections with the PCs as the story progresses!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

"C'mon now girls, you're jungle adventures! You've bravely adventured off to find the Lost Temple of Yotsuba the Many-Faced Goddess, and you've done it!"

Nene does a dramatic twirl, making her skirt sway in the wind than drops to her knees in prostration. Her voice turns into a fake old voice.

"We, the humble Temple Guardians of old humbly beseech you to help us find our ancient architect named Elm, without him we cannot return our precious temple to its former glory. Please brave adventurers, won't you help us finish our sacred duty..."

Nene starts to fake cry.

I'd like to make an impression check on the girls with Child to show how good Nene is at playing Jungle Adventurers!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

"Stop. Talking!" comes a voice from the bushes, which is normal and not an odd thing for bushes to do.

Dream to Tsukimi for being the only other sensible one here.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
A dream to Nene for turning on the waterworks!

Tricky posted:

"I'm Kumo!" I pointed to Nene. "That's Nene!" I vaguely waved in the direction of the thick brush. "Tsukimi and Yuu are back there somewhere, but they're shy."

"I live by the school! Where do you two live?"

"Oh, by the school? You must have just moved in... are you sisters?" Alice asked, leaning to look behind Kumo curiously, trying to see where two other kids might be hiding in the long grass.
"We live at the bakery."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

After a moment, she gingerly steps out of the bush. She looks around, nose twitching. Careful. Get ready to bolt if they come too fast. Remember the ears.

Alma's eyes, always watching curiously for any movement in the 'jungle', fixed on the little black bunny. She gave a little hop of excitement and pointed.

"Alice look look it's a rabbit! Holy cow it's all black! That's so cool!"

Jade Mage posted:

"C'mon now girls, you're jungle adventures! You've bravely adventured off to find the Lost Temple of Yotsuba the Many-Faced Goddess, and you've done it!"

"We, the humble Temple Guardians of old humbly beseech you to help us find our ancient architect named Elm, without him we cannot return our precious temple to its former glory. Please brave adventurers, won't you help us finish our sacred duty..."

Nene starts to fake cry.

I'd like to make an impression check on the girls with Child to show how good Nene is at playing Jungle Adventurers!

Okay! As with Kumo, Alma will Like having a new friend and Alice has Curiosity toward these new kids.

"Don't cry, Nene! Mr. Elm lives in the shrine! He's not hard to find. It's just... he's really old, so our dad told us not to bother him too much. And... I don't think he can really help clean up... he sleeps a lot these days. My dad says he always used to be out here cleaning up, but he just can't anymore."

However, Alice's heart was moved by Nene's tears, and she sent Alma a pleading look.

Alma caught Alice's meaning and immediately started shaking her head and waving her hands back and forth.

"No way no way no WAY. I'm not spending a single second of my summer vacation weeding! Besides, we'd need like twenty people to get this all cleaned up? We've got Kumo, Nene, you and me... oh and those other two Kumo said. It'd take us a week to get all this cleaned up!"

"I know but... I think we should help..."

Alice frowned. Her helpful nature had awakened, but even she shrank from the enormity of the task.

grassy gnoll posted:

"Stop. Talking!" comes a voice from the bushes, which is normal and not an odd thing for bushes to do.

Both girls jumped at the sudden noise, and whipped around to look in the direction the voice had come from. Though the grass was thick, they still should have been able to see a person standing there, but there was no one!

"Ghost! Wait no it's still morning... Um... talking jaguar!"

"No, it's Yotsuba!"

Alice was pale, but her eyes were full of surety.

"What? Isn't Yotsuba a god-DESS? That sounded like a boy's voice."

"Yeah but remember Mononoke Hime? Even the girl gods in that had boy voices!"

Turning away from her sister, Alice spoke in the direction of the voice:

"Lady Yotsuba! We're sorry for playing here! We know we're not supposed to because it's your shrine! We're sorry for being noisy!"

She then bowed her head low as if in prayer to show how much she respected the local goddess.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 2 | Feelings: 3

2 dreams to Alma and a dream to Alice to make up for lost time!

I spun around as I heard Tsukimi come out of the brush and Alma shout, then smiled real big and said, "Oh! It's Tsukimi! Did you come out to say hi to our new friends? They're so nice!"

I'm so wrapped up in that whole situation that I completely forgot about my tail! It definitely got Alice when I turned around. I hope Alice isn't too mad that I accidentally walloped her with it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Yuu is, in a rare occasion, caught speechless. Dare he? To assume authority, and to speak in Miss Yotsuba's name?

Well, he was in charge here, after all. He was a fox.

"Uh, yes," comes the voice from the bushes. It's throatier now, like the voice is trying to pitch down toward respectability and gravitas. "It is I, Yotsuba, guardian of this shrine and esteemed spiritual peer, par excellence, tout suite, etcetera etcetera!"

Yuu blathers, trying to buy time to think of a way out of this. Miss Yotsuba wanted more humans here, but they were disgusting and noisy and uncouth. But Miss Yotsuba wanted them here, but...

"You are correct, small child! Playing here is not encouraged! But if you help this weird d- uh, other child, and clean up the shrine, I will forgive this tresspass!"

The bushes are silent for a few heartbeats.

"Uh, and get someone to help you. And someone to help them. More humans is better! It'll, ah, go faster that way."

Nailed it.

Dream to...should I select one of the sisters to give a dream to, or can they both get one? For setting me up for this terrible, terrible idea, regardless.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 3 | Wonder: 5 | Feelings: 5

Tsukimi hops carefully over to Kumo, putting a paw on her ankle before peering around it to the twins. Her ear flicks over to peer at the bushes. She can't say "What are you dooooing?!", but she can... well. Stare warily. The same way rabbits stare at most things, really.

The fact she came out of the bush itself might be a little suspicious. She keeps one eye on the twins, though.

Giving a dream to Alma for her imaginary shenanigans, and one to Yuu for his terrible but provocative idea.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 1 | Feelings: 5

Nene pauses, uncertain on how to add to that. She seems to reach the verdict that continuing to fake weep is the best she can do.

And a dream to Alice for her caring!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Alice's Dreams: 4
Alma's Dreams: 4
(Counting Alien Rope Burn's Dream to me as one for each NPC in the scene.)

Tricky posted:

I spun around as I heard Tsukimi come out of the brush and Alma shout, then smiled real big and said, "Oh! It's Tsukimi! Did you come out to say hi to our new friends? They're so nice!"
I'm so wrapped up in that whole situation that I completely forgot about my tail! It definitely got Alice when I turned around. I hope Alice isn't too mad that I accidentally walloped her with it.

Alice was listening so intently for further speaking from 'Yotsuba that she barely noticed when something fluffy whapped her lightly. Instead, it was Alma who caught sight of Kumo's unnatural appendage and raised her voice, pointing in shock.

"A-Alice, she's got a... a...!"

"Shhhhh, Alma! Yotsuba is here! We're already in trouble for playing on shrine grounds. You have to be quiet and respectful around the Gods, okay? So keep your voice down." Alice's tried to keep her voice as low as possible while reprimanding her sister, who continued to point at Kumo, white-faced.

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu is, in a rare occasion, caught speechless. Dare he? To assume authority, and to speak in Miss Yotsuba's name?

Well, he was in charge here, after all. He was a fox.

"Uh, yes," comes the voice from the bushes. It's throatier now, like the voice is trying to pitch down toward respectability and gravitas. "It is I, Yotsuba, guardian of this shrine and esteemed spiritual peer, par excellence, tout suite, etcetera etcetera!"

As the voice came again, both girls stood up straight, as if they were being called out by a teacher in class. Alma even managed to forget the mystery of Kumo's tail for the moment as she listened. But, as much as they focused, neither girl could quite make heads or tails of the words...

"Peer?"

"Par?"

"Toot?"

"Sweet?"

Both girls looked at each other with blank, confused expressions.

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu blathers, trying to buy time to think of a way out of this. Miss Yotsuba wanted more humans here, but they were disgusting and noisy and uncouth. But Miss Yotsuba wanted them here, but...

"You are correct, small child! Playing here is not encouraged! But if you help this weird d- uh, other child, and clean up the shrine, I will forgive this tresspass!"

The bushes are silent for a few heartbeats.

"Uh, and get someone to help you. And someone to help them. More humans is better! It'll, ah, go faster that way."

Nailed it.

This part, at least, was crystal clear. Both girls shuffled their feet a little in shame. It was obvious this wasn't their first time playing on the sacred shrine grounds. Alma looked at her sister and the other kids glumly.

"Guess we'd better do it, huh?"

"Of course! We were asked by a Goddess, we can't say no!"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tsukimi hops carefully over to Kumo, putting a paw on her ankle before peering around it to the twins. Her ear flicks over to peer at the bushes. She can't say "What are you dooooing?!", but she can... well. Stare warily. The same way rabbits stare at most things, really.

The fact she came out of the bush itself might be a little suspicious. She keeps one eye on the twins, though.

"A-A-Alice look at that!"
Again Alma's hand shot out, pointing at the pure-black bunny that had appeared at Kumo's feet.
"I've never seen a bunny like that before! It's... it's got to be one of Yotsuba's messengers, here to make sure we do the job right!"
She gulped nervously, looking around to see if any other servants of 'Yotsuba' were watching them already.

Jade Mage posted:

Nene pauses, uncertain on how to add to that. She seems to reach the verdict that continuing to fake weep is the best she can do.

"Don't cry! We'll definitely figure out a way to get more people to help!"

Alice says this with certainty, but then slumps a little.

"But... where are we even going to find anyone free? All the adults are at work, and I don't think they'll want to help..."

"The boys should be down at the baseball park... Cory said they were going to play some ball today. 'Course there's no way any of the boys are going to want to come clean instead of playing."
Alma spoke with conviction, understanding the sentiment since she, herself, definitely didn't really want to waste a fine summer day doing yardwork.

"I guess some of the older kids will be at the library. They have to study for their exams, so they're over there every day. Though... it might be hard to get them to come, since they're all really busy studying..."

Both girls looked at each other with troubled expressions. Then they turned their hopeful gazes at Kumo and Nene. Perhaps their new friends would have a good idea how best to proceed.

A dream to everyone for winning over your first two helpers!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 4 | Wonder: 5 | Feelings: 5

With that, Tsukimi springs over towards Nene, and then - using her claws to catch clothing, leaps up and does a spiral around before coming over to her shoulder, as if to reassure her... while keeping an eye on the twins. She's starting to relax, though. They're cool. I mean, not cool cool. But cooler than she is, with her black fur. Is this description starting to ramble? Well, that's just the way it goes.

"Let's get the boys, we could try and make it a game... or they could lose their ball... all the way here?", she whispers to Nene. No time to lose, after all, daylight's a-wasting!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 3 | Wonder: 2 | Feelings: 3

I thrust my arms up in the air with excitement, hopping up and down a bit, "You said the boys are playing... Ball? That's one of my favorite games!" My tail swished through the air behind me, almost as excited as I was. "I bet if we show them how good we are at Ball they'll be super excited to help us out!" I looked over at Tsukimi and Nene and smiled, "Right?" I looked back at Alice and Alma, "Right?" I spun in a big circle until I was pointed back at where Yuu was hidden, "Right??"

This day was pretty much the best! So many new friends and all the games I'd ever wanted to play!

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Dreams: 3 | Wonder: 1 | Feelings: 5

Nene smiles, scratching Tsukimi behind the ears. "I think you're right my furry friend, let's go get the boys. Kumo, you want to lead the way? Girls would you like to join us, we'll get this done, and we'll all play some more!"

She turns to look at the bushes, "C'mon Yuu! We're gonna go get some boys to pluck weeds with us!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Yuu cringes to himself when he gets pointed at, but scuttles off anyway, deciding to take the back route over to where the human children are playing. Gotta maintain that gravitas, that elan.

Dream for Nene for tormenting Yuu.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Dream to Kumo for making absolutely sure the girls see her tail.

Tricky posted:

I thrust my arms up in the air with excitement, hopping up and down a bit, "You said the boys are playing... Ball? That's one of my favorite games!" My tail swished through the air behind me, almost as excited as I was. "I bet if we show them how good we are at Ball they'll be super excited to help us out!" I looked over at Tsukimi and Nene and smiled, "Right?" I looked back at Alice and Alma, "Right?" I spun in a big circle until I was pointed back at where Yuu was hidden, "Right??"

As Kumo turned away from them both girls could very clearly see her tail, wagging happily. Both paled and leaned close to each other to whisper:

"Like the bunny?"

"Y-yeah... I think she's one of Yotsuba's too! We better make sure we do what we're supposed to..."

They both nodded, and then showed Kumo and Nene big smiles.

"Come on, we'll show you where the ball park is!" Alice said, waving for them to follow.

<<SCENE CHANGE: Update your Wonder/Feelings. Make sure your Dreams are up to date. If you have 5 dreams you can spend them to upgrade one of your connections. Also, anyone wishing to assume/remain in human form please indicate in your next post and adjust your Wonder/Feelings accordingly.>>

The park was not too far away from the shrine. It was just a dusty baseball diamond without even a fence. Instead it was surrounded by fields of brown weeds, parched in the summer sun. Way out past the 'outfield' was a steep slope leading down to a canal, mostly drained dry by the heat and lack of rain.

The baseball diamond was partially obscured by clouds of dust kicked up by the boys running back and forth. There were 5 or 6 of them, wearing an assortment of gym clothes or baseball uniforms. Without the numbers to play a real game, they were just taking turns pitching, batting and running after the ball. One boy appeared to be the center of it all, calling all the shots for who got to bat next and what was a foul or not.

Alma pointed to the boy.

"That's Cory. The other boys'll do anything he says, but pretty much all he cares about is baseball."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 4 | Wonder: 10 | Feelings: 10

Tsukimi's ears prick up. Is that respect she's getting as Yotsuba's envoy? Well, it's only natural! Going up on her hind legs to puff out her chest in pride, she then realizes what goeth before a fall as she flails, falling backward. With her claws, though, she manages to catch ahold of Nene's shirt and pull herself up, her ears dropping a little. How embarrassing!

Is it possible to make some Impression checks after-the-fact with Alice and Alma? I just forgot to do so since it's been awhile.

As they arrive on the scene of the field, Tsukimi peers, her nose wriggling. Six... and... one... two... three... four... five... six. Well, well. She hops off of Nene's shoulder, running out behind the bleachers before there's a *poof* of back smoke, and she comes out, arms folded behind her head with a scheming place. Without any hesitation, she sildes up next to Alice, rubbing her cheek in thought. "So!", she says cannily. "How do you play this bases ball?"

Giving a Dream to Kumo for keeping the good cheer! Either way, spending 2 Wonder and 2 Feelings to take on human form + rabbit ears + rabbit tail.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 5 -> 0 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 10

Spending 5 dreams to upgrade my connection to Alma to 2 (keeping it Like for now) and 6 wonder to remain in Human+Tail form!

I looked at Tsukimi as she walked up to the group, "Hmmm... I think I've got it, Tsukimi!" I pointed at the boy holding the stick. As far as sticks went, it wasn't quite as good looking as Jaguar Slasher, being a little too smooth and knobby, but I'd still play with it for sure! "First, you whack the ball with the stick! Then, you chase after the ball... and play with the ball... and... and..." It was no use! I couldn't get past how much I wanted to get that ball! I was going crazy! I jumped up and down a little bit with excitement, my tail continuing to swish back and forth, then I took a deep breath. I scratched the back of my head, "And everyone has fun?"

I looked at Alma and Alice. They seemed like they knew all the games! Surely they would be experts at this ball game too!

Have a Dream, Tsukimi, for not quite falling!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yuu

Dreams: 2 | Wonder: 10 | Feelings: 10

Yuu lurks under the dried-out brush, observing this bizarre human ritual. It wasn't fully clear yet what the objective of this whole ordeal was, but there was a great deal of circumambulation and throwing things. Very probably a deeply arcane ceremony.

Hopefully Tsukimi wasn't in danger. The rest of them would be fine, though.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Dreams: 4 | Wonder: 3 | Feelings: 12

Gonna spend 5 wonder to stay human

"Yeah, girls, how do we play the 'base' 'ball'." She says with dramatic bunny ears around the words. "I don't figure I'll be any good, but I'm willing to try."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 5 | Wonder: 8 | Feelings: 8

Tsukimi looks sly and says quietly, "Well, if we beat them, they have to help us out, right?"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Dream to Tsukimi for the direct approach.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tsukimi's ears prick up. Is that respect she's getting as Yotsuba's envoy? Well, it's only natural! Going up on her hind legs to puff out her chest in pride, she then realizes what goeth before a fall as she flails, falling backward. With her claws, though, she manages to catch ahold of Nene's shirt and pull herself up, her ears dropping a little. How embarrassing!

Is it possible to make some Impression checks after-the-fact with Alice and Alma? I just forgot to do so since it's been awhile.

As they arrive on the scene of the field, Tsukimi peers, her nose wriggling. Six... and... one... two... three... four... five... six. Well, well. She hops off of Nene's shoulder, running out behind the bleachers before there's a *poof* of back smoke, and she comes out, arms folded behind her head with a scheming place. Without any hesitation, she sildes up next to Alice, rubbing her cheek in thought. "So!", she says cannily. "How do you play this bases ball?"

"Who... who...??" Alice jumped a little at the sudden appearance of the new girl, looking at her face in surprise.

Then Alma grabbed her hand and squeaked:

"A-a-a-aliiiiice... l-l-l-looook..."

With a shaking finger, she pointed to the pitch black rabbit ears on the new girl's head.

Both girls turned a pale shade of blue. The black bunny! Yotsuba's watchdog!

Then an even more shocking thought entered both girls' heads: If Yotsuba could make her helpers from animals into humans...

Would she turn two little girls who failed to complete her challenge into ANIMALS???

Both girls swallowed nervously and met each other's eyes. They had to do this thing.

Tricky posted:

I looked at Tsukimi as she walked up to the group, "Hmmm... I think I've got it, Tsukimi!" I pointed at the boy holding the stick. As far as sticks went, it wasn't quite as good looking as Jaguar Slasher, being a little too smooth and knobby, but I'd still play with it for sure! "First, you whack the ball with the stick! Then, you chase after the ball... and play with the ball... and... and..." It was no use! I couldn't get past how much I wanted to get that ball! I was going crazy! I jumped up and down a little bit with excitement, my tail continuing to swish back and forth, then I took a deep breath. I scratched the back of my head, "And everyone has fun?"

I looked at Alma and Alice. They seemed like they knew all the games! Surely they would be experts at this ball game too!

grassy gnoll posted:

Yuu lurks under the dried-out brush, observing this bizarre human ritual. It wasn't fully clear yet what the objective of this whole ordeal was, but there was a great deal of circumambulation and throwing things. Very probably a deeply arcane ceremony.

Hopefully Tsukimi wasn't in danger. The rest of them would be fine, though.

Jade Mage posted:

"Yeah, girls, how do we play the 'base' 'ball'." She says with dramatic bunny ears around the words. "I don't figure I'll be any good, but I'm willing to try."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Tsukimi looks sly and says quietly, "Well, if we beat them, they have to help us out, right?"

"Um, um..." Alice looked back and forth between Tsukimi, Kumo and Nene, trying to overcome her shock at the human form of the black bunny and remember how on Earth baseball was played. Luckily, Alma jumped in to help:

"Well, see that person with the bat... uh, that's the thing that kid's holding, that's the batter. They try to hit the ball when the pitcher, that's that kid over there, anyway he throws the ball and the batter tries to hit it. If the batter misses three times he's out and it's the next person's turn... And if you hit it... um..."

Then Alma looked perplexed, as she reviewed all the complicated rules of baseball in her head.

"Um... and then... well anyway it's easier if you just play it and learn while you go. It's easy."

"Yeah but it takes a really long time! If the boys pull us into a real game, it'll take all day!"

((Sidenote: Have you ever tried to give someone a brief explanation of all the rules of baseball? I tried to explain it to a friend in Brazil once and we never really got past all the different things that would cause you to be 'out'.))

Alice and Alma accept Tsukimi's impression check with my house-ruled connection of Awe for 1 point each, to represent their fear of Yotsuba's Bunny in Black.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Dreams: 4 | Wonder: 3 | Feelings: 10

"Awwww, Kumo. Look at their faces. Girls, you're jungle adventures! You don't have to be scared of little ol' Tsukimi!"

Nene kneels, pulling the two girls and Tsukimi into a big group hug. "See, he's still the adorable little rabbit we all know and love! Heck, you should see me when I'm not me. A cute bushy tail and everything, look!

Gonna spend 2 feelings to make my fluffy tail poof into existence and start swaying in the hot summer breeze

"You're part of a club of cool folks trying to clean up a shrine so Yotsuba can relax happy!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dreams: 6 | Wonder: 8 | Feelings: 8

Grabbed by Nene, Tsukimi flails briefly in protest before just slumping. She pouts a little, her ears drooping. "We don't have all day! Is there a way to do it really fast? Like, who can hit the ball further? Or maybe who can run around in the square the fastest!", she offers to Alice more hurriedly, before looking up at Nene, blushing a bit. She's being praised, that doesn't happen every day! Maybe this mission is alright.

Oh, right. Focus on the mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Dreams: 0 | Wonder: 7 | Feelings: 10

My tail wagged back and forth, "Ooooh, that's a really good idea! I bet that they'd want to help if we can hit the ball real good." I looked at the field, then back towards the shrine. "I bet I could hit it all the way back up there!" I pantomimed swinging the stick like the boys were. How hard could it be?

• Locked thread