Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't wait to play. One hour left until NA digital release!

Nioh has co-op where you can easily select who you play with, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

Yes. And no.

It has the same rando coop as Dark Souls, but also a mode where you can play with a friend throughout the whole campaign.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feenix posted:

Yes. And no.

It has the same rando coop as Dark Souls, but also a mode where you can play with a friend throughout the whole campaign.

The playing with a friend thing sounds nice. :O I'm just worried I may not enjoy this game because of its difficulty.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Unexpected start to Nioh! Weird hearing English, too!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Feenix posted:

Unexpected start to Nioh! Weird hearing English, too!

Your character is based William Adams and if you've ever seen Shogun the miniseries, it's pretty much like that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just meant after the alphas and betas. Just was weird hearing English spoken.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ars Technica says Nioh is probably better than Dark Souls: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/nioh-review-a-rewarding-dark-souls-heir-set-in-16th-century-japan
Forbes aggregate of 4 very high reviews: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/02/06/reviews-call-ps4s-nioh-vicious-brutal-fun/#5ac4ba601197

It's pretty funny to me that people were like "What if you made a game that was as nuanced and in-depth as Dark Souls but you, like, explain how to play it, kinda..." and that's enough for everyone to be like "Oh yeah this is really cool" instead of just getting ruthlessly slaughtered an infinite number of times because you literally have no idea what anything is or means or why you have to do anything.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 7, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Feenix posted:

I just meant after the alphas and betas. Just was weird hearing English spoken.

The reason William understands Japanese is the best but also the stupidest thing.
Thank you magical spirit cat for possessing me with your language skills.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ars Technica says Nioh is probably better than Dark Souls: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/nioh-review-a-rewarding-dark-souls-heir-set-in-16th-century-japan
Forbes aggregate of 4 very high reviews: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/02/06/reviews-call-ps4s-nioh-vicious-brutal-fun/#5ac4ba601197

It's pretty funny to me that people were like "What if you made a game that was as nuanced and in-depth as Dark Souls but you, like, explain how to play it, kinda..." and that's enough for everyone to be like "Oh yeah this is really cool" instead of just getting ruthlessly slaughtered an infinite number of times because you literally have no idea what anything is or means or why you have to do anything.

So dark souls? Because there isn't much you need to explain about it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't think there was ever a question that a more standard tutorialized experience would have a broader appeal, DS's approach with minimal instructions and mechanics as puzzles always had a niche aim. I don't think that really makes one approach better than another though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

HGH posted:

The reason William understands Japanese is the best but also the stupidest thing.

Could be what happened in real life too nobody knows for sure!!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

HGH posted:

Check back with us in the fifth sequel to the game where William can finally at least pretend to participate in society.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I might have to buy this Ni-Oh game.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
You really should. Responsive, brutal combat with a high skill ceiling, Diablo loot, and two types of coop, dude.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

there wolf lmao posted:

You really should. Responsive, brutal combat with a high skill ceiling, Diablo loot, and two types of coop, dude.
I played not the latest demo but the one two demos ago. It did indeed feel even harder than Dark Souls games. I'm not the biggest DS proponent in the world anymore though; I never finished 3. Also, randomized loot is the opposite of what I want.

But I have been playing happy-go-lucky games like Miku, Trials Fusion and Metal Gear Solid 5 a lot recently so maybe I want something dark and brutal for a change.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nioh is goddamn incredible and I think I like it more than Dark Souls. It plays soooooo good.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played not the latest demo but the one two demos ago. It did indeed feel even harder than Dark Souls games. I'm not the biggest DS proponent in the world anymore though; I never finished 3. Also, randomized loot is the opposite of what I want.

But I have been playing happy-go-lucky games like Miku, Trials Fusion and Metal Gear Solid 5 a lot recently so maybe I want something dark and brutal for a change.

The one two demos ago was way harder and less good (imo). The final build is great though, in spite of the diablo loot (which I also hate).

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Discovered fishing, shoji, and pool in Yakuza tonight, and saw but didn't play darts. It was a good night. I'm a whore for a good minigame. I never imagined that so many good takes were in one place.

Holy poo poo, is there pachinko? There's gotta be, right?

Fix fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fix posted:

Discovered fishing, shoji, and pool in Yakuza tonight, and saw but didn't play darts. It was a good night. I'm a whore for a good minigame. I never imagined that so many good takes were in one place.

Pachinko is only in one or two games I think, and not 0 afaik. I think it's especially expensive to license.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Fix posted:

Check the Sega Arcades. They are worth it always.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Samurai Sanders posted:

Pachinko is only in one or two games I think, and not 0 afaik. I think it's especially expensive to license.

How the hell can that be?

Oh right. Yakuza.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Check the Sega Arcades. They are worth it always.

Waiting for the Virtua Fighter arcade. Outrun was cool, but better on the 3ds, to be honest.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Virtua Fighter was in Yakuza 5 and Yakuza 6 gets Virtua Fighter 5 HD in 60 FPS with exclusive content and online Multiplayer

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fix posted:

How the hell can that be?

Oh right. Yakuza.
Eh, I think it's just that pachinko parlors are the main source of income for many companies and they are very stingy on any attempt to give people their fix without coming in and pumping in coins.

That said, I think Y4 and 5 have pachinko. 6 didn't anyway.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I bet Nagoshi has better Yakuza contacts than contacts to other licensing people

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

verbal enema posted:

I'm going to assume that's considered cheating by Sony so don't so that right?

Dang

It's only considered cheating by other people playing the games, you're not going to get a ban or in trouble in any way shape or form for using it.

I played shooters on PC for years and hate playing FPS with a pad so I bought a XIM, used it for battlefields, overwatch, CoD and other stuff without issues.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blizzard will get mad at you if you use a XIM to play Overwatch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Yes, you can straight up select people from your friend's list to co-op with.

Feenix posted:

Yes. And no.

Wrong; Yes and Yes.

You can search for friends using either mode. You can play with just friends as phantoms or as whole campaign.

Also somebody has to unfortunately beat the level before you can co-op it. :( Hopefully team ninja changes that, although it does keep your run more pure in souls terms and gives you co-op stuff after.

You can co-op twilight missions right away though which is interesting. They definitely seem more designed for co-op.

E: To clarify, you can summon without having beaten the level but to be summoned you have to have beaten it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Policenaut posted:

Nioh is goddamn incredible and I think I like it more than Dark Souls. It plays soooooo good.

Same

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So tempted to pick up Nioh. Still trying to get through Kingdom Hearts 3D 1st

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Being part of SegaSammy Holdings, which also manufactures Pachinko games, I'd say the problem is in recreating the experience itself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tossing money down the toilet is a much easer way to replicate it

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Other than the blinking lights and the hazy smoke inside the parlour, I don't get the appeal of pachislots at all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Other than the blinking lights and the hazy smoke inside the parlour, I don't get the appeal of pachislots at all.

They're slot machines that people fool themselves into thinking they can develop skill at and improve their winnings.

Its like taking the sunk cost fallacy and doubling it. If it just play a bit more, I can get better, and win back my money!

Its a trap for gambling addicts.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, you can straight up select people from your friend's list to co-op with.

Wrong; Yes and Yes.

You can search for friends using either mode. You can play with just friends as phantoms or as whole campaign.

Also somebody has to unfortunately beat the level before you can co-op it. :( Hopefully team ninja changes that, although it does keep your run more pure in souls terms and gives you co-op stuff after.

You can co-op twilight missions right away though which is interesting. They definitely seem more designed for co-op.

E: To clarify, you can summon without having beaten the level but to be summoned you have to have beaten it.

What about the coop in yokai realm? The one that's truly full coop with shared life bar. It seems weird if you can't do that from the start.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bust Rodd posted:

Depending on which GoW you're referring too, the secret to mastery is parrying people (EXACTLY LIKE MGR:R!). As Kratos, your moves kinda push you around the screen alot, so if you aren't attack or dodge-rolling then your doing it wrong, walking is for chumps.

Oh, God of War 3! Took a bit for combat to click but I'm enjoying it. Just put my boot through Hercules and am reveling in how goddamn angry Kratos is. Just continuously, excessively GRRR about everything. I do love how the game doesn't try to justify it or anything, he's just a complete dickhead and that's that. :allears:

Metal Gear Rising will always come out on top though. As I said, it was the first game of its sort that I genuinely enjoyed and learned to play on the harder difficulties - I also liked the DMC reboot, but it's not safe for me to talk about that too loudly. :v:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm playing Tomb Raider 2013 and got through the Solarii base etc. I'm back at the beach now and we have to fix the boat. How much is left in the game? I'm enjoying it but the whole "escape" sequence felt very end-of-game. Also I'm worried that Lara is going to explode and/or burn down the rest of the island, or that more of her friends will be murdered in front of her. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

irlZaphod posted:

I'm playing Tomb Raider 2013 and got through the Solarii base etc. I'm back at the beach now and we have to fix the boat. How much is left in the game? I'm enjoying it but the whole "escape" sequence felt very end-of-game. Also I'm worried that Lara is going to explode and/or burn down the rest of the island, or that more of her friends will be murdered in front of her. :ohdear:

There's a bit of the game left. There's a very abrupt shift in the type of enemy you face that signifies the final portion.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

irlZaphod posted:

You have the boat, then a new area to explore, then the endgame. That's at least a couple of hours, more if you want to find everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's also a very very obvious point of no return. Pretty sure the game explicitly asks you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I bought a Pro yesterday. I uploaded all my saves to cloud storage on my old PS4 but when I went to download them to the Pro it doesn't work(says something like the application isn't available). Does this mean I can't download saves for games I haven't played yet on the Pro? That's a big issue for the Nioh last chance trial data since it's not playable anymore.