Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Yeah, I think there's a certain line you cross where it's not worth listening to someone's political views anymore, because they're not grounded in good faith but only hatred.

Aaaand the alt-right definitely crossed that line a while ago.

e: although I get a fun sense of schadenfreude watching the atheist alt-right and the Christian alt-right tear each other apart online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus is the prophet most spoken of in the koran, and mary is mentioned more often in the koran than in the bible

so no, mohammed is not the enemy of jesus.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

mythomanic posted:

"Guys, sure, he's a nazi. But come on, give him a chance to ENACT his nazi policies before judging him!"

You're either winning or you're learning!

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yeah, I think there's a certain line you cross where it's not worth listening to someone's political views anymore, because they're not grounded in good faith but only hatred.

Aaaand the alt-right definitely crossed that line a while ago.

e: although I get a fun sense of schadenfreude watching the atheist alt-right and the Christian alt-right tear each other apart online.

Senju Kannon posted:

jesus is the prophet most spoken of in the koran, and mary is mentioned more often in the koran than in the bible

so no, mohammed is not the enemy of jesus.

oh? I guess I'm not winning, I'm learning!

so Mohammed isn't Islam's Jesus? huh.

I am ignorant about religion, ill admit it. but thats why I'm here. I'm trying to learn

Love me, hate me, fear me, I dont care. Just please dont ban me! :ohdearsass:

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 8, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Steve Bannon thinks that "Darkness is good," and then cites Darth Vader and Satan as examples. Though I have made the leap of faith to say that the light of Christ shines in the darkness, and the darkness will never overcome it, I also think it is bizarre to cite two examples of darkness who are also losers in their story. Darth Vader never stood a chance, because he is a fictional character created for a story of good's triumph over evil.

Steve Bannon also follows the Howe-Strauss Generational Theory's hypothesis that we are living in a time of crisis. I'm about to watch an interview Neil Howe has given about this theory and how it may have shaped Bannon. Coincidentally, I found Howe-Strauss to be thought-provoking, but I don't think Steve Bannon has come to the right conclusion. He thinks the crisis will be between countries and non-state actors, and so he promotes (white?) nationalism in the USA to give his side the advantage.

But I hold that the true crisis is between our humanity's most excessive selfishness and the ultimate bigger picture, in other words between good and evil and between sin and the eternal life of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
starting to see why you saw me say "bankers" and read "jews"

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009
I suppose posting a jpeg is almost as good as defending your own points or responding to criticism.

e: here are some dope japanese (orthodox?) icons:

mythomanic fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 8, 2017

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

mythomanic posted:

I suppose posting a jpeg is almost as good as defending your own points or responding to criticism.

I think the first and third one are Chinese.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah the third and first one are definitely chinese, and i'm going to add that the second one's handwriting is the loving worst and i am glad even native speakers can't loving read that poo poo

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I think the first and third one are Chinese.

Ah my bad. Don't really know enough about either to discern and just sorta judged by the script. I should've known the third was Chinese- seems obvious in retrospect.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

mythomanic posted:

Ah my bad. Don't really know enough about either to discern and just sorta judged by the script. I should've known the third was Chinese- seems obvious in retrospect.

Are you American? If so it's not really your fault, we aren't educated enough in school to know the differences between Asian Art, it just all gets clumped together.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
If people happen to have any favourite book, passage or verse in the Bible, like any that are especially beautiful, either as poetry or in expressing truth, or simply because you've got a particularly strong emotional connection to any one book, passage or verse for whatever reason, then I'd like to hear it, as well as what denomination you a part of, if any.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Are you American? If so, my condolences.

Harsh but true.

Grandmother of Five posted:

If people happen to have any favourite book, passage or verse in the Bible, like any that are especially beautiful, either as poetry or in expressing truth, or simply because you've got a particularly strong emotional connection to any one book, passage or verse for whatever reason, then I'd like to hear it, as well as what denomination you a part of, if any.

Sirach 3:17-20 posted:

My son, conduct your affairs with humility,

and you will be loved more than a giver of gifts.

Humble yourself the more, the greater you are,

and you will find mercy in the sight of God.

For great is the power of the Lord;

by the humble he is glorified.

Ben Sira has some gross stuff to say about women but most of Sirach is pretty good.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

mythomanic posted:

Those are amazing! I would hang that in my house if I owned a house. Maybe I'm wrong about the whole alien war thing and it truly is just love vs fear? One can dream.

Also keep in mind I'm only 23 years old. I'm guessing most of you are much older and therefore much wiser. Cut me some slack! I'm still finding my way. And I'm certainly not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. In fact, I hope to be wrong.

But as a 'know it all' 23 year old- I believe Political correctness is a direct threat to freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is the one thing I value above all else. So If I offend you with my words, I implore you to ask yourself, "is I LIKE COOKIE abrasive? Or am I just sensitive?"

I can feel the passion in this thread now, though. And that makes me happy. Even if I'm the bad guy in this particular scenario.

Nobody likes a circle jerk

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
people younger than you died fighting nazis. keep that in mind when you say "i'm only 23"

also lmao when i was 23 i understood that nazis were a bad thing and that it was to society's benefit that they be beaten whenever they show their sorry faces in public 2k17 make nazis afraid again

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

"We are not among those who draw back and perish, but among those who have faith and will possess life."

- Hebrews 10:39

I just read it one day when I'd had a lot of self pity and despair. I have it next to my desk now as a reminder to hope.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Deteriorata's like two hundred years old true story.

This thread is full of wildly differing political and religious views but we keep it pretty chill. Usually. I have other places on the internet I can go if I want to argue about the minutiae of Christophanies.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

I have other places on the internet I can go if I want to argue about the minutiae of Christophanies.

why are you cheating on us

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Nobody likes a circle jerk

What is a circle jerk?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Job 23, particularly 23:4 "I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments."

I'm an atheist. I also appreciate irony.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my dad posted:

What is a circle jerk?

a bunch of dudes get together and accomplish nothing of substance while making themselves feel good

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Job's full of awesome irony. The NLT (dynamic equivalence) really nails Job 12:2., when Job's friends are consoling him by saying he actually must have sinned at some point and that's why his life is falling apart.

"“You people really know everything, don’t you? And when you die, wisdom will die with you!"

Probably the most sarcastic line in the Bible.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

P-Mack posted:

a bunch of dudes get together and accomplish nothing of substance while making themselves feel good

actually guy orgasms have a lot of substance, haven't you seen that amazon review for giant boxes of kleenex

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The book of Job, because it's about remaining strong in the face of everything going to poo poo. I have this verse from it tattooed on my arm: "I know that my redeemer lives, and that one day he will stand up upon the earth, even after my skin has been ripped away, in my raw flesh I will see God." (Especially apt for a tattoo.) I'm a panentheist so I believe everything comes from God, including the bad poo poo.

As for beauty, the Psalms are good, but most of the beautiful religious poems that I love aren't part of the Bible, they're part of our Tradition, our religious heritage. Is it OK to open the question up to religious tradition as a whole?

P-Mack posted:

:ssh: he's trying to draw I LIKE COOKIE out with Socratic arguments

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 8, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Senju Kannon posted:

actually guy orgasms have a lot of substance, haven't you seen that amazon review for giant boxes of kleenex

You know in cartoons where a guy has no money and when he opens his wallet there's a puff of dust and then a fly starts buzzing around? Yeah.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

yeah the third and first one are definitely chinese, and i'm going to add that the second one's handwriting is the loving worst and i am glad even native speakers can't loving read that poo poo
grass script! it's ~~~~*artistic

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

As for beauty, the Psalms are good, but most of the beautiful religious poems that I love aren't part of the Bible, they're part of our Tradition, our religious heritage. Is it OK to open the question up to religious tradition as a whole?

The Divine Mercy Litany is legit even though it's fairly recent.

quote:

Divine Mercy, gushing forth from the bosom of the Father, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, greatest attribute of God, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, incomprehensible mystery, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, fountain gushing forth from the mystery of the Most Blessed Trinity, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, unfathomed by any intellect, human or angelic, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, from which wells forth all life and happiness, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, better than the heavens, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, source of miracles and wonders, I trust in You
Divine Mercy, encompassing the whole universe, I trust in You

etc.

Well wouldn't you look at that, the Orthodox probably sneaked in some apophatic theology into our lives.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Are you American? If so it's not really your fault, we aren't educated enough in school to know the differences between Asian Art, it just all gets clumped together.

I am. However, that implies that I was ever taught about any Asian Art at all!

I draw a lot of comfort and coziness out of Ecclesiastes. I don't really recall encountering it in church, but I read through it recently in a biblical literature and art class I took a few semesters ago. Now, it's the book I recommend when I'm talking to my secular friends about why the bible can be rad.

Ecclesiastes 9:7-10 posted:

Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do. Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun—all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

I grew up Presbyterian and liked it quite a lot. I've been feeling drawn towards something more liturgical lately. Been trying to convince myself to check out my local orthodox church.

mythomanic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

no denomination

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

man i shoulda told all my teachers in high school my handwriting wasn't poo poo, it was artistic

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Thanks for the answers so far. This thread moves fast!

HEY GAIL posted:

It is fine with me. The reason I specified the Bible is that I'm assuming that it is a largely shared text between most denomination, and that is part of what makes it interesting to see differences in where people might place emphasis. Like, it isn't surprising that a Jehova's Witness and a mormon would place different emphasis on the importance of unique scripture, but it is interesting to see, say, Lutherans, catholics, agnostics and whoever else, picking both different and similar favourite verse and passages with different reasoning.

I'm fine with opening up the question, since it is always interesting to hear of people's uniquely personal emotional connection, but I'd still be interested in hearing of any personal favourite Bible passages concurrent with that, since it is more of a shared framework.

Grandmother of Five fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 8, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

It is fine with me.

the sub tuum praesedium:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_tuum_praesidium
oldest hymn to Mary that we have. I had a dream about it once that really stuck with me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

I am a Roman Catholic. How about you?

On my mind recently has been the intro from Mark 6, when Jesus returns to Nazareth with his followers and gets a complicated reception:

1-2 He left there and returned to his hometown. His disciples came along. On the Sabbath, he gave a lecture in the meeting place. He made a real hit, impressing everyone. “We had no idea he was this good!” they said. “How did he get so wise all of a sudden, get such ability?”

3 But in the next breath they were cutting him down: “He’s just a carpenter—Mary’s boy. We’ve known him since he was a kid. We know his brothers, James, Justus, Jude, and Simon, and his sisters. Who does he think he is?” They tripped over what little they knew about him and fell, sprawling. And they never got any further.

4-6 Jesus told them, “A prophet has little honor in his hometown, among his relatives, on the streets he played in as a child.” Jesus wasn’t able to do much of anything there—he laid hands on a few sick people and healed them, that’s all. He couldn’t get over their stubbornness. He left and made a circuit of the other villages, teaching.

edit: That's just what's been on my mind, though. I thought more about your question, and I think the passage that most urgently needs to be preserved, like if it had to be discovered by future alien historians picking through our ruins, it would come from the first epistle of John: "God is love."

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

so Mohammed isn't Islam's Jesus? huh.

There are parallels, but they're still two individual people. They and their followers did successfully introduce monotheism to vast geographical regions, but they also lived very different lives. Jesus was executed while practicing his public ministry; the Prophet Muhammad died much older and as a political and spiritual leader.

I am always pleased to learn more about the lives of prophets, even the more controversial ones like Joseph Smith or Bahá'u'lláh. Even an imperfect prophet must be right twice a day.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 8, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

conservative catholics have been lying down with these guys for years, look at bozell, and now the mask is off, and now you and Worthleast are surprised and angered? this has always been the case! look at spain! look at portugal!

yeah uh mea culpa i guess

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

but I'd still be interested in hearing of any personal favourite Bible passages concurrent with that, since it is more of a shared framework.

Proverbs 3, 5-6: Trust in the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and lean not on thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct thy path.

Spoke a lot to me when I was a high schooler with no idea what the gently caress I was doing with my life, speaks a lot to me now in my late 20s with no idea what the gently caress I'm doing with my life.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

mythomanic posted:

I grew up Presbyterian and liked it quite a lot. I've been feeling drawn towards something more liturgical lately. Been trying to convince myself to check out my local orthodox church.

do it.

I'm fine with opening up the question, since it is always interesting to hear of people's uniquely personal emotional connection, but I'd still be interested in hearing of any personal favourite Bible passages concurrent with that, since it is more of a shared framework.

I have a special connection to the verse from Sirach that I quoted because I know a lot about theology and church history. And sometimes this makes me feel like I know more than everyone else.

But I don't. Mainly because a widow in her 70s at my parish keeps me in check. She somehow knows more about church history than I do. So I am humbled every time I talk to her.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Caufman posted:

I am a Roman Catholic. How about you?

On my mind recently has been the intro from Mark 6, when Jesus returns to Nazareth with his followers and gets a complicated reception:

1-2 He left there and returned to his hometown. His disciples came along. On the Sabbath, he gave a lecture in the meeting place. He made a real hit, impressing everyone. “We had no idea he was this good!” they said. “How did he get so wise all of a sudden, get such ability?”

3 But in the next breath they were cutting him down: “He’s just a carpenter—Mary’s boy. We’ve known him since he was a kid. We know his brothers, James, Justus, Jude, and Simon, and his sisters. Who does he think he is?” They tripped over what little they knew about him and fell, sprawling. And they never got any further.

4-6 Jesus told them, “A prophet has little honor in his hometown, among his relatives, on the streets he played in as a child.” Jesus wasn’t able to do much of anything there—he laid hands on a few sick people and healed them, that’s all. He couldn’t get over their stubbornness. He left and made a circuit of the other villages, teaching.

edit: That's just what's been on my mind, though. I thought more about your question, and I think the passage that most urgently needs to be preserved, like if it had to be discovered by future alien historians picking through our ruins, it would come from the first epistle of John: "God is love."

There are parallels, but they're still two individual people. They and their followers did successfully introduce monotheism to vast geographical regions, but they also lived very different lives. Jesus was executed while practicing his public ministry; the Prophet Muhammad died much older and as a political and spiritual leader.

I am always pleased to learn more about the lives of prophets, even the more controversial ones like Joseph Smith or Bahá'u'lláh. Even an imperfect prophet must be right twice a day.

I have great respect for my teachers. Thank you for taking the time to educate me on the difference between The Messiah and Prophets. The faster I learn, the faster I can accomplish my goals.

My favorite prayer is the serenity prayer. "God grant me the wisdom the change the things I can, accept the things I cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference".

I feel like I got the wording wrong but that's the gist.

I've got a question. Whats Ezra?

E: Besides it being a song by Flume

nevermind im off work now so i can google/wiki it

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 8, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

my dad posted:

What is a circle jerk?

It's one of the primary shapes you learn, but that's not important right now.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

It's just blurry bruh
Grass script is... something else
Also it's just some dude's name I think

I like the psalms. All of them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
italian rightwingers are involved as well, this is deeper than it looks
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/05/us-cardinal-raymond-burke-stokes-papal-tensions-by-meeting-nationalist-in-rome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Uggh I think I'll just go back to being a leftist until this nonsense is past. Neo Nazis in the white house, who thought I'd see the day.

• Locked thread