Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Total time the ball was in play for the Super Bowl was 16 minutes and 4 seconds. I know that's normal for gridiron, but it doesn't make it any less stupid given how long it takes to play a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

NFL is a sport best experienced in highlights packages I've found

https://twitter.com/Adelaide_FC/status/828731896913764354?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Marinoff and Western Bulldogs defender Bailey Hunt both received nominations in Round One.

quote:

The eligibility for the AFL Women’s Rising Star award is the same as in the men’s competition. Nominees must be under the age of 21 at January 1, 2017, and have played no more than 10 games. The overall winner must also not have been suspended during the season.

The only difference is that two players (rather than one) will be nominated after each round of the seven-game home-and-away season. Approximately 50 players in the inaugural AFL Women’s Competition meet the criteria.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 7, 2017

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Solemn Sloth posted:

Total time the ball was in play for the Super Bowl was 16 minutes and 4 seconds. I know that's normal for gridiron, but it doesn't make it any less stupid given how long it takes to play a match.

I remember hearing that the average for a game (a few years ago) was around 12 minutes.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

So frustrating to watch when you're used to AFL.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ah it's good to see cricket cameramen make it to the big time at least

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
How's the banter though

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

And that match went to overtime.

Yeah, it requires a completely different mental calibration to watch and enjoy. And to think, Americans think soccer is boring by comparison.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I stopped watching NFL because of how the league is handling the concussion issue, but I enjoyed the sport beforehand and have a couple of observations about the "time ball is in play" issue:

1. I'm a big test cricket fan and I wonder how long the ball is in play there, too
2. The few seconds that any individual play takes is action-packed, heaps is going on, all of the players are putting in 100%. So while the gaps are boring, the playtime never is, unlike footy or soccer or even rugby.
3. You can download it after with the gaps cut out, and it's a great watch

That's my story, I hope you liked it.

edit: yes the overtime rule sucks, it has been changed

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 7, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Apparently redzone is good because they cut between live games with only good stuff happening and some replays, but it is on at like midday Monday so yeah.

But I can can't watch rugby so even more breaks between plays in grid iron, no thanks.

In fact I hardly watch afl on tv, mainly because crappy commentators but I prefer going to the game.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The commentators for the Super Bowl were pretty good. They actually talked about thing relevant to the game. It was totally different and much better than the poo poo we get with AFL.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Any Australian complaining about gaps in play needs to take a huge long look at all forms of cricket

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

hiddenmovement posted:

Any Australian complaining about gaps in play needs to take a huge long look at all forms of cricket

Pretty sure we're avoiding looking at the long forms at all and are just going to the big bash instead.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

Ehhhhh, cricket isnt that bad. 4 minutes per over is the general rule, thats about 40 seconds between each ball being bowled and spinners can whip through an over much quicker than that. That has to encompass everything as well. All the field changes, any tactics discussions so on and so forth.

Compare that to 11 minutes of game time in over 3 hours of broadcast and its amusing that you are trying to imply cricket is worse.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

If you think American football is the worst in terms of game-time to coverage time in the US market, Baseball would like to have a word.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Weirdly the sport I probably watch the most of now after footy is road cycling. (Actually all cycling, because track and cyclocross and BMX, all of that is pretty great, but that usually only comes to prominence at the Olympics and such)

Half the point of watching it is the scenery and the roadside weirdos.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

harperdc posted:

And that match went to overtime.

Yeah, it requires a completely different mental calibration to watch and enjoy. And to think, Americans think soccer is boring by comparison.

Obviously the NFL has gotten carried away with the commercials and such, but I still appreciate the way the game flows from defined play to defined play like a chess match. That format allows you to really be able to appreciate each moment of the game, which makes big swings have more meaning. You can't really get something amazing like this in a free-flowing game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yru_1al8EY

It's structured in a way you can't see in a game like aussie rules. In the AFL, rather than the results of strategies on a play by play basis, you just kind of have to see trends develop as the game goes along, and those are what tell the story. Things like "Oh, the Suns can't seem to get the footy out of their own end." Or "Oh, I can't remember the last time the Suns got a mark." Or even "Oh, the Suns mids turn it over like every drat time they touch the ball." That's a really foreign way to watch a game from an American perspective. It's a completely different experience and you have to treat it as such.

As far as soccer, I think the biggest reason Americans don't like it, aside from all the diving, is that the play is very unaggressive in general. I don't mean that as in violence, I mean it as in a team may kick it back into their own end 5 or 6 times before they see a look that they like and actually attempt to drive it upfield. If you are a soccer fan, you can appreciate the dribbling skills of the mids as they pass it around, and the pace and crosses from wings and things like that, and it makes it fun to watch play develop, even if it develops really slowly. But if you're coming from the NFL where you basically never, ever, ever deliberately go backwards, it seems like a waste of time. "The beautiful game" is a name that sounds like an insult rather than something to be admired from that perspective.

Footy is kind of the best of both worlds in that regard. It's free-flowing, but teams generally push the ball forward because it's pretty unacceptable to dally around too long in your own end, and players don't dive. It's still a completely different experience that is chaotic as poo poo if you don't know what's going on, but it's fun once you've got a few games under your belt and you start to be able to see those trends.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baseball is a way better sport than cricket.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I think one of the most fun experiences I've had going to watch a sport for the first time was going to the baseball in the US. First game I saw was the Padres vs the Cubs in San Diego ... it was an awful game but the whole atmosphere and presentation was brilliant. I think I enjoyed it at a smaller ground like than that I did at Yankee Stadium a few weeks later. I saw a college football game between Lubbock and Texas State and that was just intense. The whole town of Lubbock basically went into shut down mode for the day and it seemed totally insanely over the top, but I guess thats college football. People seem more passionate about that in places than the NFL. I really appreciate the skill and set plays and everything about American Football, but the constant stop start just takes me out of it.

Still waiting to see my first NBA game live .. hoping for my first one to be watching my Knicks get slaughtered at the Garden.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

People seem more passionate about that in places than the NFL.

NFL franchises move, Colleges don't - plus the migratory nature of their college system makes it more than just a home town thing. It's not a huge surprise to learn that the most passionate set of NFL fans are the ones that support the only franchise that will never relocate, because they own it.

Also College football is pretty much all run and gun, whereas NFL is pragmatic and defensive.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 7, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Chairchucker posted:

Nope.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Footy is easily the best sport in the world. Nothing even comes close.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

It'd be nice if ch7 would play old matches more often, like 1960s-80s matches. Not as fast paced but the biff m8, the biff

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

This is correct.

College football is also way better than the NFL, the skill level disparities allow for more creativity and diversity in the way it's played. Saying "it's just run and gun" ignores the red-meat smash-mouth teams that are successful now.

Also partnered with the announcement of Geary as captain of the Saints for the year, the club has confirmed XBlades are the kit/training supplier. Let's hope they don't get wound up next week :v:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What is the simplest AFL fantasy game going around, in terms of weekly/unfront time investment required? If any?

Something beyond tipping, but not supercoach, would be ideal. I loved Supercoach back in the day when I had more free time (and was good at it because i had so much time), but now I just can't fit in the research needed to be good.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Windmill Hut posted:

What is the simplest AFL fantasy game going around, in terms of weekly/unfront time investment required? If any?

Something beyond tipping, but not supercoach, would be ideal. I loved Supercoach back in the day when I had more free time (and was good at it because i had so much time), but now I just can't fit in the research needed to be good.

Haven't played supercoach so I don't know how it compares but what about Ultimate footy? The only real in season time investment required is if you have to replace an injury or an underperformer but it's generally pretty quick to do that. It's pretty simple and you don't need to work out salary cap or any of that poo poo. You just look at the average scores for the players available in that position and recruit the one you like the most.

We had a league last year, but I'm not sure what's happening with it this year.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
I play baseball virtually all year around and watch a lot of it too, it can be slow and boring as hell at times but it's a game with so much underlying strategy going on that once you actually understand the nuance it can be gripping entertainment.
Also, it's better than most games of cricket but 20/20 is pretty entertaining. (I actually think 20/20 should adopt a baseball rule and introduce a DH - 12 a side, remove one of your bowlers during the batting innings - batter can only bat).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Double header at Princes Park.
http://afl.com.au/news/2017-02-08/aflw-doubleheader-is-on-with-piesdees-clash-moved-to-ikon-park

quote:

IKON Park will host a NAB AFL Women's competition double-header on Saturday, with confirmation Wednesday morning that the Collingwood-Melbourne match (originally slated for Olympic Park Oval) has been moved.

The Carlton-Greater Western Sydney match, originally scheduled to start at 5.05pm AEDT will now start at 3.35pm AEDT, and the Magpies-Demons clash will kick off at 7.40pm AEDT.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

That's a pretty good Saturday if you ask me. Thinking about trying my luck at the Freo game - the stadium only holds ~17000 people but who knows what the crowds will be like in the second round

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
champion data continue their quest towards irrelevance by ranking Peter Wright as the best 20 year in the game since they started tracking this stuff in 2010. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cha...2331f673abea213

the gist of it:

foxfooty posted:

Wright’s rating of 11.1 is better than Cameron (10.7), Jack Darling (10.0), Hogan (9.8), Walker (9.0), Joe Daniher (7.4), Lynch (7.4) and Jack Gunston (7.3). This may come as a surprise seeing, of the aforementioned group, he has only kicked more goals than Lynch and Gunston at the same age.

note that cameron was the coleman runner up at age 20 with 62 goals for the year. apparently wrights 4.2 hitout per game average sealed the deal in the rankings.

what are champion data smoking?

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Can only assume they're looking to get people talking and maybe got a nudge from the AFL to pump some Suns tyres.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Haters gonna hate. You're just jealous you don't have a two meter Peter.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Erin Phillips was on The Weekly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbNpNBsUi-4

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gabensraum posted:

I stopped watching NFL because of how the league is handling the concussion issue, but I enjoyed the sport beforehand and have a couple of observations about the "time ball is in play" issue:

1. I'm a big test cricket fan and I wonder how long the ball is in play there, too
2. The few seconds that any individual play takes is action-packed, heaps is going on, all of the players are putting in 100%. So while the gaps are boring, the playtime never is, unlike footy or soccer or even rugby.
3. You can download it after with the gaps cut out, and it's a great watch

That's my story, I hope you liked it.

edit: yes the overtime rule sucks, it has been changed

Well I mean they bowl 540 balls a day in Test cricket

snaeksikn posted:

champion data continue their quest towards irrelevance by ranking Peter Wright as the best 20 year in the game since they started tracking this stuff in 2010. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cha...2331f673abea213

the gist of it:

note that cameron was the coleman runner up at age 20 with 62 goals for the year. apparently wrights 4.2 hitout per game average sealed the deal in the rankings.

Peter Wright is pretty loving good

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What's the AFLW heat policy? Looking at the forecast there might be some games in 35-40+ temperatures

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Should just turn the sprinklers on imo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

snaeksikn posted:

the gist of it:

The crazy thing is that Wright is a decoy for Lynch, Cameron was the main man and had no real assistance since Patton was constantly injured.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought Wright looked scary good last year

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What's the AFLW heat policy? Looking at the forecast there might be some games in 35-40+ temperatures
The main heat policy is extending breaks (probably to 10 and 20 minutes) and allowing more water carriers on the ground than normal. Maybe they'll have a mist sprayer at the interchange.

There is no interchange cap either for the league, which was designed around the heat policy, as well as the 8 minute (three)quarter time breaks and 16 minute half time break.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-31/league-announces-heat-policy-for-aflw-matches

Edit: gently caress
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-09/ankle-knock-ends-blues-aflw-season-early

quote:

CARLTON midfielder Natalie Plane will miss the rest of the NAB AFL Women's competition after suffering a high-grade ankle sprain against Collingwood last Friday.

Plane, 20, had only one touch last Friday before coming off the ground. Tahni Nestor has been added to the Carlton squad.
A landscape gardener by day, so hopefully her AFLW contract can cover some of that lost income if there is any. Luckily the WBBL is over too as she plays for the Renegades, they would not have been happy if an AFL injury stopped her playing cricket.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 9, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Income protection was one of the things they were able to convince the AFL to give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

realbez posted:

I thought Wright looked scary good last year

looking scary good and having a scary good output across the duration measured are two different things. i dont know in a sane world how anyone could have rated wrights output higher than camerons at the same age (and because i am honour bound by this topic, hogans too)

its not a knock on wright as being poo poo, he looks to have enormous upside but like many of champion datas recent rankings, it feels like they crunched the numbers to some arbitrary formulas and then just ran with whatever was spat out rather than stopping and rationalising whether they could genuinely justify the output as being sane or reasonable

• Locked thread