Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

lol Konnan burying Hernandez from ringside

"blow him up, he's got no conditioning"

I did like Konnan's stint as manager here, the way he was always talking to Puma like an MMA ring guy during a match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I forgot how much Hernandez and Puma tore it up here, this was a great match. Easy to forget about it since the Deathmatch was the main

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Still think Puma gave Hernandez way too much offense but that match was way better than I expected at the time.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

So my daughter was asking about a WWE Network subscription, and I'm not really very interested in giving them money right now. If she likes LU, is it a safe bet that she'll enjoy Chikara? Is their streaming service any good, and would I be able to access it on our Roku?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I could honestly watch Mil and Fenix wrestle each other forever, they have such amazing chemistry together.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

I hope Univision and Spectrum fix their poo poo before the end of May for you all :mad:

I need them to fix their nonsense before a Godzilla marathon comes on. I usually stop everything I'm doing to watch it. Hell, I will call out of work to watch it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:rip: Bael

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DangerDummy! posted:

So my daughter was asking about a WWE Network subscription, and I'm not really very interested in giving them money right now. If she likes LU, is it a safe bet that she'll enjoy Chikara? Is their streaming service any good, and would I be able to access it on our Roku?

Lucha Underground's production values compared to Chikara's is like Ghostbusters compared to Be Kind Rewind's Ghostbusters, but yeah, it's good fun and worth a try. I don't know about Roku, but I have no issues with the streaming service. You get all the shows (new ones go up about two months after they happen) and every now and then they'll live stream a random show as it's happening.

If anything, watch it for the King of Trios shows and see how you guys feel about it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

I need them to fix their nonsense before a Godzilla marathon comes on. I usually stop everything I'm doing to watch it. Hell, I will call out of work to watch it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Isn't King of Trios like the one time of year CHIKARA ponies up money to bring in outside talent?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Isn't King of Trios like the one time of year CHIKARA ponies up money to bring in outside talent?

Not 100% accurate, but definitely more accurate in the past couple years.

Actually, DangerDummy!, the best "is this right for me" show would be King of Trios 2015 since it includes Team AAA (Drago, Fenix, Aerostar). This leads to (spoilering just in case) Team AAA vs. AJ Styles and the Young Bucks.

Just... stay away from Ashes of Chikara. It's... just trust me on this.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Benne posted:

It's when they pony up multiple times. Like, they'll bring in big money people for things like Anniversario, Young Lions (do they even do this anymore as its own show), the season finale, but King of Trios is 3 days worth of trying to get multiple teams of non-usual special event people out there.

EDIT: Also, Ashes probably isn't as bad in fast forward, but it's very much the definition of Quack re-defining everything that people would call Peak Quack before this. I'm curious how someone who'd never been a big Chikara fan would react to it, but I wouldn't recommend it when you have the rest of Chikara at your fingertips.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 2, 2017

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

thelazyblank posted:

It's when they pony up multiple times. Like, they'll bring in big money people for things like Anniversario, Young Lions (do they even do this anymore as its own show), the season finale, but King of Trios is 3 days worth of trying to get multiple teams of non-usual special event people out there.

Young Lions Cup tends to be crowned at National Pro Wrestling Day in post-Ashes Chikara (and YLC 13 is this Saturday), but it's true that they'll bring in bigger names for Aniversario and the finale show(s), and KOT is unquestionably their biggest weekend of the year.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the info. I know you especially have been championing them for some time now Gavok, so it was nice to get your input.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/827550141976571908
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/827550812406702081

The underlying source (the MMM Podcast) said his information is coming from a "very credible source" on the 2/15 date probably not happening -- the host often has DeJoseph or Van Wagenen on his podcast so odds are that it's one of them. He said "maybe that date happens but maybe it doesn't" meet that date (and probably not), but it really shouldn't be reported as news right now that it's going to hit that date.

He also said it's nothing to worry about, it's just a thing where all the episodes have to be properly dubbed and closed captioned (season 1 in two languages) and everything up to Netflix's specifications, and it's a lot of episodes to do that to, between the two seasons. And it hadn't made it on Netflix's coming soon list, either.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 3, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd gladly watch it dubbed in another language so I wouldn't have to hear Striker.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I'd gladly watch it dubbed in another language so I wouldn't have to hear Striker.

I don't mind Striker, but I'd absolutely go for insane Univision soccer commentator version.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Anals of History posted:

I don't mind Striker, but I'd absolutely go for insane Univision soccer commentator version.

MATANZA ENTRA AL RING! COMO UN CASTILLO ESTA RECIBIENDO SEISCIENTAS GOLPIZAS SIN MOVERSE, EL WRATH OF THE GODS ACABA DE QUITARLE EL ALMA A FENIX Y LO HA MANDADO A LA ESTRATOSFERA, OCHOCIENTOS DIEZ MIL MUERTOS POR ESTE MONSTRUO!!

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
I will powerwatch season one in two days. For reals.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MDoggMattCross/status/829133304205029379

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

You can tell Matt Cross is a pro because at the same time he shows off his broken leg, he pimps his merch

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Gotta pay those medical bills somehow, right?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Isn't it pretty hard to break your fibula like that? I thought most of those fibula breaks were down by the ankle

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I guess Ivelisse and Angelico have been giving him lessons.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jesus what is Pentagon's legal situation that he's doing indie dates as "Penta El Zero Miedo"

like he's ducking trademarks on Pentagon Jr., Pentagon Dark, AND "Cero Miedo"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus what is Pentagon's legal situation that he's doing indie dates as "Penta El Zero Miedo"

like he's ducking trademarks on Pentagon Jr., Pentagon Dark, AND "Cero Miedo"

AAA is petty as gently caress

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Just call yourself Hexagon Jr or Heptagon Jr or Nonagon Jr or something, cmon dude

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

Just call yourself Hexagon Jr or Heptagon Jr or Nonagon Jr or something, cmon dude

Dodecahedron Dark

Tonight on the rewatch we got All Night Long (one of my personal favorites) and Penultima Lucha!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

how about Octagon Jr.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pentagram!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pentecostal!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
lol THERE'S NO TIMEOUTS IN WRESTLING JOHNNY

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've always loved Johnny's strategy in this match, because it's such an obvious heel thing to do.

"Oh, this Iron Man match is no-DQ? I'll just brain the guy with a crowbar and get a bunch of easy pins."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's too bad this match happened before the NBA Finals, otherwise they totally would've had Johnny blow a 3-1 lead.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hey, remember when people gave a poo poo about Alberto Del Rio

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

I've always loved Johnny's strategy in this match, because it's such an obvious heel thing to do.

"Oh, this Iron Man match is no-DQ? I'll just brain the guy with a crowbar and get a bunch of easy pins."

Even if it wasn't no DQ, it's a strategy that would make sense for the heel - lose one fall to a DQ after you brain the other guy and then rack up like six pins.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I forgot that Bengala

a) existed
b) actually held a Medallion at one point

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

I forgot that Bengala

a) existed
b) actually held a Medallion at one point

I miss Bengala. He was the best kind-of-chubby kitty man

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Even if it wasn't no DQ, it's a strategy that would make sense for the heel - lose one fall to a DQ after you brain the other guy and then rack up like six pins.

I'm pretty sure in a Rock/HHH Ironman they did this. HHH beaned Rock with a chairshot for a DQ and then pinned him twice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

I miss Bengala. He was the best kind-of-chubby kitty man

Wrestling needs more chubby kitty men. I hope Lince Dorado gains 50 pounds and gets a push in WWE.

• Locked thread