Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

Modern impala vs 50s impala is the best crash test video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

Also fun, the non-repairable classics of copart.

Possibly :nms: but still incredibly impressive.

https://www.copart.com/lot/23265296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Powershift posted:

The biohazardous material sticker on the back of the El Camino really... makes?... the photo set.

God drat.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

The biohazardous material sticker on the back of the El Camino really... makes?... the photo set.

God drat.

I was gonna post the same thing. It makes sense that some, uh, organic fluids got left behind in that cabin. :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

That's a dead guy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Jesus. 100+ into a tree?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think overpass support?

A tree would vaporize with that much energy.

You can tell it stopped dead and didn't dissipate energy by spinning away or anything, so even if the guy wasn't liquified, his brain was most certainly re-arranged.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You know why they invented safety glass for car windscreens?

Because originally, when you had an accident (without a seat belt), your head would push through the windscreen and it would break radially, out from your neck into several places

These breaks allowed the momentum to push the glass outwards, but the rubber around the edge would twist and hold the pieces in place until your body stopped moving forward, bulging the glass outwards.

Then the kinetic energy stored in the rubber would snap the glass back into place.

And your head would pop off and bounce onto the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A problem easily solved by neck seatbelts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/leake_tulsa_06-06-14.pdf

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Huh, it used to have SS badges instead of a biohazard sticker.

https://www.leakecar.com/vehicle/1932/1969-Chevrolet-El-Camino/

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm the golf cart.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

.... Do they not just automatically crush / melt down any car that's been involved in a fatal? Fuuuuuck there would be no way in hell I would be touching that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

.... Do they not just automatically crush / melt down any car that's been involved in a fatal? Fuuuuuck there would be no way in hell I would be touching that.

They hose em out real good :shrug:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

Huh, it used to have SS badges instead of a biohazard sticker.

https://www.leakecar.com/vehicle/1932/1969-Chevrolet-El-Camino/

Good find. That is a shame, for both parties.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

They hose em out real good :shrug:

No hosing would be THAT good surely....?

Anyway, I believe down here that any fatal is held while the investigation happens then once it's all done it goes from police holding yard to crusher, nothing is allowed to be parted out so it does seem odd to me big wrecks like that could be sold again.

I have tried to retrieve parts off a really big wreck years ago before that law came into place and they uhhhhh..... yeah it wasnt as cleaned out as you would have hoped. I put the toolbox on the front seat, started to poke about and ummm.... yeah kinda got the clue someone had poo poo themselves while bleeding big time. Even if I *really* needed that part, there was no loving way I was touching that car again.

Kinda an interesting subtext was that it basically wasn't picked over for the next year and the wrecker just simply fed it into a metal recycler. No one wanted to touch it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Christ almighty. Nailed whatever it was (post/pole) dead on (no pun intended.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Christ almighty. Nailed whatever it was (post/pole) dead on (no pun intended.)

When I was in high school, a kid was doing donuts in the parking lot (in his parent's truck) and hit a light pole so perfectly it bent the ford logo right down the middle.

I don't know if that's target fixation or what but it's not the sort of thing you could pull off if you tried to.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

got the clue someone had poo poo themselves while bleeding big time

Muscles tend to relax shortly after death. Including the sphincter.

Did you notice what their final meal may have consisted of?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Steering wheel?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

xzzy posted:

Steering wheel?

Speaking of steering wheel, it's non-collapsible. And the spokes are bent backward.

Goddamn. :stonk:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

http://www.villagelife.com/news/man-dies-in-rainy-day-wreck/

I got a bit morbid cause I just had to find out how the hell he managed to hit something that hard

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Domestic Amuse posted:

Speaking of steering wheel, it's non-collapsible. And the spokes are bent backward.

Goddamn. :stonk:

Yeah, well, the column in my '76 land cruiser is one solid piece all the way to the spline shaft that it can maybe slip an inch or two on in either direction. I never intend on getting in a collision but a headon in that truck will make the steering wheel replace your head.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even the original beetle had a collapsible section of column.

If an economy car had it, jeeze.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beetle didn't get a collapsible column until 68.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

76 land cruiser

E: good to know, though. Thought it was earlier.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Actually, I think it's supposed to collapse and mine is welded for some reason that is probably related to the power steering upgrade.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, old cars and non-collapsible steering wheels.

In September of 2000 I hit a '94 Topaz head-on at 40-MPH when the unlicensed 16-YO left-turned in front of me. I was not wearing a seat belt. I was extremely lucky to walk away with no serious injuries. I even had my foot on the brake & bent the pedal

The wheel is now a decoration on my sunroom wall. That was the end of my non- seatbelt-wearing days.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 8, 2017

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

DIY ferrofluid:

Finally convinced a friend of ours to let us look at his car, and, uh, this is what the oil from the 2nd change looked like. '97 Chevy Cavalier, 191k miles on it. A mechanic several years prior tore a hole in the intake and halfway patched it up with duct tape, hoping nobody would notice. He was right. Our friend never went under his hood to do anything until it sounded like a goddamn tractor and the vibrations from the engine were rattling his teeth out. No oil changes for 3+ years. Now his engine has abraded itself into dust.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, uh, I don't care what car that came out of, your friend needs to have his license revoked permanently.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah, uh, I don't care what car that came out of, your friend needs to have his license revoked permanently.

Uhh, don't you also have a car in which the engine has poo poo itself? 🤔

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Don't have any pictures but when my father passed I had to go pick the car up he was driving when the thing happened. I wasn't an accident so it was just parked at the side of the road and I get in it and he had driven it for about 5 years with no maintenance and fake MOTs (think state inspection or rego in Oz) so the brakes didn't work, the oil was nearly solid and the steering took your inputs as suggestions. Rather than drive it home I drove it right to the local scrap yard and weighed it in. It was cathartic is an odd way. Anyway it shouldn't be news that non car people are the reason that engines do under 250k miles in their life.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Poop Cupcake posted:

DIY ferrofluid:

Finally convinced a friend of ours to let us look at his car, and, uh, this is what the oil from the 2nd change looked like. '97 Chevy Cavalier, 191k miles on it. A mechanic several years prior tore a hole in the intake and halfway patched it up with duct tape, hoping nobody would notice. He was right. Our friend never went under his hood to do anything until it sounded like a goddamn tractor and the vibrations from the engine were rattling his teeth out. No oil changes for 3+ years. Now his engine has abraded itself into dust.

It's pretty impressive it's held up this long. Is it still running?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's pretty impressive it's held up this long. Is it still running?

They probably turned it off to remove the oil pan.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They probably turned it off to remove the oil pan.

With how that oil looks, do you think removing the pan likely changed how the engine ran?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Wife's BRAND NEW Rav4 poo poo the bed.

115 miles on it and I suspect the Transmission/transfer case failed.
She drove it for the second time yesterday and when she went to leave the mall the car freaked out and told her to turn off traction control and drive to the nearest dealership ASAP.
She said it was making all sorts of terrible noises and would occasionally rev to high heaven.

I never got to take a look at it or hear it, but the dealership says 'they haven't been able to diagnose the problem yet.' I told them "don't bother, because you're giving us a new car." They agreed without the slightest hesitation.

It's killing me that I may never know what the gently caress happened or see the carnage.

edit:

page 7 posted:

704 Honda Hovercraft $1,100 Not Sold

wut?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 8, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wife's BRAND NEW Rav4 poo poo the bed.

115 miles on it and I suspect the Transmission/transfer case failed.
She drove it for the second time yesterday and when she went to leave the mall the car freaked out and told her to turn off traction control and drive to the nearest dealership ASAP.
She said it was making all sorts of terrible noises and would occasionally rev to high heaven.

I never got to take a look at it or hear it, but the dealership says 'they haven't been able to diagnose the problem yet.' I told them "don't bother, because you're giving us a new car." They agreed without the slightest hesitation.

It's killing me that I may never know what the gently caress happened or see the carnage.

Bring the techs some beer in brown paper bags (or pizza or something) around lunch time and ask for pictures.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

H110Hawk posted:

Bring the techs some beer in brown paper bags (or pizza or something) around lunch time and ask for pictures.

Won't work if it's anything like the dealer attached garages around here, the owner usually just hovers around ready to break up any sincere talk between techs and customers.
(I owned a first gen Rav 4 and there was a mechanic that was really into them, 2 minutes into talking the bossman came in and basically told him to gently caress off back to work because we were talking about how easy they are to work on compared to newer cars. It's the same dealer that scammed me by presenting me with a doubled bill (at the end) and no replacement car to drive home after they started work)

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
There's a good chance they might not know either. I'm a sub-supplier to Toyota and on one project they'd sometimes pull the entire transmission and engine to ship to R&D completely intact. I was really impressed because they resolved the issue but still spent a lot of time and money figuring out the exact mechanism that caused it even though it was very rare and easily fixed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
e; what he said ^

H110Hawk posted:

I have a feeling they're not even gonna go that far. They're probably just gonna send it back to toyota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
We used to own a 2001 RAV4 with a stick. Loved that little SUV. Anyway one time it ate its transmission with no warning at about 120k miles. We'd bought it used and it was obviously well outside of warranty but the dealer we bought it from and took it to for service contacted Toyota and we ended up getting a whole new transmission for free. Never did find out what happened though.