Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My dad had a wagon like that when I was a kid. Sooooo cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Luxrage posted:

This is my current daily driver, and fast becoming a strange blend between restoring and overhauling:

I moved down to Texas last year. My '94 Thunderbird V8 rusted out from living up north, and at the same time I was saving up to buy a fullsize Bronco, so I thought, why not both?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? And how much power can you get from the cigarette lighter? Obviously charging a phone (and then playback via cassette adapter) isn't a problem, but what about a laptop?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I enjoy the new driver and gaijin stickers on the back... :v:

Luxrage posted:

This is my current daily driver, and fast becoming a strange blend between restoring and overhauling:

I moved down to Texas last year. My '94 Thunderbird V8 rusted out from living up north, and at the same time I was saving up to buy a fullsize Bronco, so I thought, why not both?

So good.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

New ride, took months waiting to pounce on the right car and so far it's been amazing

Less cool than the above but likely a farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better car. Do some skids.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Luxrage posted:

The paint is totally burnt out, but there's no clearcoat so it does polish up nice. However, it is road chipped to hell and back.

One thing that baffles me is the interior is spotless everywhere but in the cargo area. I think it was stored halfway in a carport or something.

I was toying with the idea of the sedan instead. However, when I test drove a craigslist one and discovered the sheer size of the wagon and how well they drove, I was hooked.

This sold me on it:

Needs cop steelies, dog dishes, and blackwalls.

Awesome car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

New ride, took months waiting to pounce on the right car and so far it's been amazing

details pls!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

details pls!

Cross posting from the Porsche thread but it's a 2015 991.1 PDK with glass sunroof and mostly interior/sound options

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I enjoy the new driver and gaijin stickers on the back... :v:

Saw the sticker and wondered if it was added when they were selling it knowing it would be shipped out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Josh Lyman posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? And how much power can you get from the cigarette lighter? Obviously charging a phone (and then playback via cassette adapter) isn't a problem, but what about a laptop?

Yes, you can charge a laptop of the cig port. I have a behemoth that I use for in car work and it will slowly charge it. It much prefers an inverter wired directly to the battery, though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

Finally got a new car to replace the TDI I turned in, 2004 LS430(next to my miata for scale). Huge grandpa car but I love it more the more I drive it. Turn off traction control and it will happily spin the rear tires pulling away from a stop, but when driving normally it is completely smooth. Managed to find one that does not have the terrible navigation/hvac combo thing. Already installed a bluetooth adapter for streaming music/phone calls. I still have to wire up the mic and AUX input, but I am really impressed with how well it works.

Waddup LS430 buddy

Ours has the Nav system and it actually works really well, no complaints although it probably is time for an updated DVD. It has been a great car, I got it for my wife who has a horrid commute and the car has been a godsend for her, she absolutely loves it.

Also picked up an econobox for myself, 2012 Scion xB:

Liking it so far, it's the perfect urban vehicle for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also picked up an econobox for myself, 2012 Scion xB:

Liking it so far, it's the perfect urban vehicle for me.

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Got a free beater

It seems like the quintessential 90's truck. Lifted, BFG's, Pioneer Premier CD player, some sort of exhaust, those dumb step stool things hanging off the side, random amounts of diamond plate here and there...

Runs OK, brakes like poo poo, steers like poo poo, slow as poo poo. 114k though...

Its loving awesome in the recent snow we've had in Seattle. I now own 3 vehicles made before the year 2000.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Lol. I wanted a newer economical 5 door and it was the only car worth a poo poo for my needs. Originally wanted a Mazda2 but it's just too small.

Gonna scratch my AI itch with a project Wrangler in the future, pretty much done with miatas.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't think it'd be such a head turner!
Sorry for the sheer number of images in this post, I shrunk/compressed some of them down so it won't destroy mobile users so much:

Josh Lyman posted:

I paid $2800 for the car, it was the only one I could get to without having to buy a plane ticket! I called the dealer to see if they had it, told him "I'm coming to get it" and drove the 2.5hr to Texarkana to pick it up. Talked him down from $3600. I think he just wanted it gone!

I have a cig-lighter power inverter I got years ago, and it seems like it is able to charge a laptop.

Breakfast Feud posted:

That's fantastic and I love it. Post pics of the motor and more of the dash and interior controls.

The engine bay is a mess after I blew the coolant line on it, and the previous owner did NOT clean this thing.

Here's what I'm working with. This car's the fleet model, so it's absolutely spartan on the inside. I actually had to go out and find an OEM clock for the dashboard, it just had a blanking plate when I got it! It shows the date when you first turn on the car, which is a nice touch. It also has a trip timer! The previous owner did option in the split bench and power door locks at least! The cruise control does not work, sadly.

I upgraded the radio to the highest end 4-speaker radio that would be correct for the car. It's from an '88 Cougar.

Also, I'm used to driving bigger cars, but nothing prepared me for this:

Here's a photo of it when I first got it, unfortunately someone backed into it at the mom-n'-pop place I found it at:

There's the color it should ALWAYS be once I had it buffed out:

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 8, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
god drat thats an amazing piece of hardware. Your cruise issue is probably wheel switches/the contacts @ the column, or loose solder joints inside the controller.

Mcqueen posted:

Its loving awesome in the recent snow we've had in Seattle. I now own 3 vehicles made before the year 2000.

People buy cars made after 2000? :confused:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

cursedshitbox posted:

People buy cars made after 2000? :confused:

RX-8's are wonderful vehicles if owned by those with the correct mental illnesses.

And since this is the post your ride thread:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Saw the sticker and wondered if it was added when they were selling it knowing it would be shipped out.

new driver sticker was on there from prior owner taking it to matsuri

gaijin sticker probably because *australians*

this car will never be shipped out... if i can sell it after i will but that all depends on my driving when im there

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

People buy cars made after 1975? :confused:

Apparently, but I'm not sure why.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Man, that wagon doesn't know when it wants to exist. Wood panel? Chrome? Digital Displays and electronics? It's like it's straddling three different eras. I love it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Waddup LS430 buddy

Ours has the Nav system and it actually works really well, no complaints although it probably is time for an updated DVD. It has been a great car, I got it for my wife who has a horrid commute and the car has been a godsend for her, she absolutely loves it.

Any issues with yours? How many miles and what year? Came across one recently and am a little bit curious. Our little commuter is about up for trade.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryhampster posted:

Any issues with yours? How many miles and what year? Came across one recently and am a little bit curious. Our little commuter is about up for trade.

Little electrical issues that I haven't bothered to look into yet. It's an '03 and it had 90k on it when we got it, and is racking up the miles on my wifes commute. Paid 9k for it, only thing it needed was tires. It's seriously like driving a new luxury car, I've never owned a car that drives as well as an LS especially on the interstate. If I drive the LS too much and then get in my Scion it feels like tin can with wheels in comparison.

If you go to the Lexus Driver's site you can run any Lexus VIN# and get a full maintenance and owner history report as long as they were maintained at a dealer, which 90% of the time they are. I used it to pass on a few, and then finally pick up the one I have now, it was a two owner car bought locally and maintained at local Lexus dealers.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

[e] found some better pics of the LS

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 9, 2017

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Breakfast Feud posted:

Man, that wagon doesn't know when it wants to exist. Wood panel? Chrome? Digital Displays and electronics? It's like it's straddling three different eras. I love it.

It's baffling to think that in 1987 this thing was sitting next to the Taurus in the showrooms with it's almost unchanged 1979 design. It's a rolling time capsule.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Luxrage posted:

Oh my god I love it!!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Luxrage posted:

Nthing that this car is loving awesome. A simple intake/exhaust job would put it over the top IMO, or if you want to really get spendy a supercharger. :getin:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Luxrage posted:

The paint is totally burnt out, but there's no clearcoat so it does polish up nice. However, it is road chipped to hell and back.

One thing that baffles me is the interior is spotless everywhere but in the cargo area. I think it was stored halfway in a carport or something.

I was toying with the idea of the sedan instead. However, when I test drove a craigslist one and discovered the sheer size of the wagon and how well they drove, I was hooked.

This sold me on it:

I would absolutely love one of these with the drivetrain from my '05 P71. A pity they never made a wagon version of the aeros or later. My sedan has a huge trunk, but there's still stuff that just won't fit. I get by with a hitch carrier or a small trailer, but a wagon would pretty much eliminate the need for a pickup for me for all but the biggest jobs (which would then use the trailer!)
My boss when I worked at a car stereo shop many years ago had a thing for Crown Vics/clones, and the wagon variants. He would buy them, fix them, and flip them. The shop mobile install vehicle was an '80s Country Squire, with all the tools and gear stashed in the third seat well. and it said "Wally World or bust on the back window. :)

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Needs cop steelies, dog dishes, and blackwalls.

Awesome car.

Oh yes. I would even allow the cop steelies from the later models.

edit: oh, it's got the EFI 5.0. Never mind about the later drivetrain, then. That'll work fine! I'd upgrade to PW - should be easy to find a Grand Marq or Town Car to steal the mechanism from. I'd have to change the seats - I don't do vinyl in Texas any more. I've done my time, thanks.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

It's baffling to think that in 1987 this thing was sitting next to the Taurus in the showrooms with it's almost unchanged 1979 design. It's a rolling time capsule.

Pretty much.
Even better, Ford didn't substantially change the frame for the aeros and later. Obviously, the wagon frame is longer at the rear, but on the sedans (and coupes) you can fit the later chassis, particularly the '04-up chassis with the better suspension and rack and pinion with surprisingly little work.Mainly the frame horns for mounting the core support and bumpers.
http://bangshift.com/general-news/c...et-the-mod-box/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

Pretty much.
Even better, Ford didn't substantially change the frame for the aeros and later. Obviously, the wagon frame is longer at the rear, but on the sedans (and coupes) you can fit the later chassis, particularly the '04-up chassis with the better suspension and rack and pinion with surprisingly little work.Mainly the frame horns for mounting the core support and bumpers.
http://bangshift.com/general-news/c...et-the-mod-box/

Oh my god it's even a coupe...

It's glorious.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

angryhampster posted:

I have only had mine for a couple weeks now, but I love it. Mine is a 2004 with ~120k miles. Paid a bit more than I wanted($10k before tax/title/license) but it had a very good history and was in really good shape. Haven't run into any issues yet and I am hoping it will stay that way.

I would personally look for an 04+ just for the 6 speed transmission instead of the 5. There are other minor differences, but nothing huge.

The biggest thing to get used to is just the size of the car. Mine replaced our '13 JSW tdi, but we had turned that in a couple weeks before I picked up the LS, so we were driving my miata everywhere. I also found that the parking sensors are good, but apparently 2 bars on the front means there was about a 1/4" between my license plate and the car I parked behind.

If you go to the Lexus Driver's site you can run any Lexus VIN# and get a full maintenance and owner history report as long as they were maintained at a dealer, which 90% of the time they are. I used it to pass on a few, and then finally pick up the one I have now, it was a two owner car bought locally and maintained at local Lexus dealers.

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

Thanks for this, I had not heard of that site before. Thankfully it confirmed everything I had been told about the car. 2 owner car, second owner had it for almost 10 years and had it at the local Lexus dealer at least every 5k miles for oil changes. Had the timing belt done at 60k, so its probably about time to do that again since I am almost at 120k.

I kinda miss not having a backup camera, but the main reason I did not want it was I hated the HVAC being integrated to the screen. I was also looking at GS350's from the same era and I absolutely hated the NAV/HVAC setup.

Does your steering wheel move ok? The forward/back movement on mine is a bit jumpy. I found a thread on club lexus that went over how to replace a bushing and grease the track, but I can not for the life of me find it now. The other option is to have the dealer disable the auto steering wheel move when you shut off the car. I need to go and get a second key as well, so maybe I will have the dealer do both at the same time.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 9, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god it's even a coupe...

It's glorious.

Isn't it just? I love stuff like this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slurry_curry posted:

Does your steering wheel move ok? The forward/back movement on mine is a bit jumpy. I found a thread on club lexus that went over how to replace a bushing and grease the track, but I can not for the life of me find it now. The other option is to have the dealer disable the auto steering wheel move when you shut off the car. I need to go and get a second key as well, so maybe I will have the dealer do both at the same time.

The telescopic part doesn't move at all anymore, was one of the issues I talked about. the other is the drivers side mirror not working. If you can find that thread you're talking about pm me with a link because I'm going to need to fix it. Any idea what the dealer charges to disable the auto tilt steering function? Been thinking about doing that as well.

Also have the timing belt to do, I would like to take it to a shop other than a dealer to have it done along with having some fluids replaced so i gotta work on finding a good shop to do it. I just don't have the time or motivation to do it anymore :(

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I bought a thing. A wonderful thing. A hideous thing. A glorious thing. A 1965 Mercury Comet.

Pics are from the craigslist ad because I ran out of daylight getting it unloaded and in my front yard. I'll take more in the morning.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hopefully you took the GTO tiger tail off!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
All the vintage iron showing up in here is so :kimchi:

My derpy old bastage.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

The telescopic part doesn't move at all anymore, was one of the issues I talked about. the other is the drivers side mirror not working. If you can find that thread you're talking about pm me with a link because I'm going to need to fix it. Any idea what the dealer charges to disable the auto tilt steering function? Been thinking about doing that as well.

Also have the timing belt to do, I would like to take it to a shop other than a dealer to have it done along with having some fluids replaced so i gotta work on finding a good shop to do it. I just don't have the time or motivation to do it anymore :(

Found it! Don't have PM's so I will just post it here

I haven't talked to the dealer yet, but from what I can see online, people are saying anywhere from the dealer did it for free to charging $65 to make any changes.

Timing belt is supposed to be pretty easy to replace, but I am with on the no time thing so it is going to the crazy russian mechanic by my house.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, looks like a relatively easy job thanks for finding that!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Time to post old piles you say? Here is one of mine.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Nissan HB's are the best pickup trucks ever.

That and the VG30 era Pathfinders...whooo what a great vehicle.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

As Nero Danced posted:

I bought a thing. A wonderful thing. A hideous thing. A glorious thing. A 1965 Mercury Comet.
[timg]http://imgur.com/0AQT0YZ.jpg[/m]
[timg]http://imgur.com/yiVCmYZ.jpg[/ ]
[timg]http://imgur.com/F5PzTbY.jpg[/ ]
Pics are from the craigslist ad because I ran out of daylight getting it unloaded and in my front yard. I'll take more in the morning.

That a Caliente? I have a '65 Comet 404 4-door with the 200-6. I made a custom Dura-Spark electronic ignition setup with a MSD 6AL box and hybrid distributor from a 300 top and the original distributor, installed a 1979 big-port head (still looking for a decent Carter YF carb), Classic Inlines dual-out headers, lowered 2" with the Shelby mod done to the front suspension. I really need to get it back on the road. It has 44,000 original miles with mostly original paint and great interior.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

wallaka posted:

That a Caliente? I have a '65 Comet 404 4-door with the 200-6. I made a custom Dura-Spark electronic ignition setup with a MSD 6AL box and hybrid distributor from a 300 top and the original distributor, installed a 1979 big-port head (still looking for a decent Carter YF carb), Classic Inlines dual-out headers, lowered 2" with the Shelby mod done to the front suspension. I really need to get it back on the road. It has 44,000 original miles with mostly original paint and great interior.

Yeah it's a Caliente, or at least it has a badge on the trunk that says it is. The paint on the inside of the trunk lid matches the door sills so I think it's the original bodywork, or at least conveniently matched already. The confusing thing for me is the previous owner installed the 289 and he didn't have to do motormounts, but it has 4-lug wheels. I thought all the v8s came with 5-lug wheels (when he got it it had no engine). I think someone frankensteined it in the past.

Once I get the time and money to start doing work on it, I'll probably do a thread. I've got some ideas for what I want to do but I'd settle for a roadworthy cruiser.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 10, 2017

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

As Nero Danced posted:

Yeah it's a Caliente, or at least it has a badge on the trunk that says it is. The paint on the inside of the trunk lid matches the door sills so I think it's the original bodywork, or at least conveniently matched already. The confusing thing for me is the previous owner installed the 289 and he didn't have to do motormounts, but it has 4-lug wheels. I thought all the v8s came with 5-lug wheels (when he got it it had no engine). I think someone frankensteined it in the past.

Once I get the time and money to start doing work on it, I'll probably do a thread. I've got some ideas for what I want to do but I'd settle for a roadworthy cruiser.

Caliente was a trim package, and doesn't involve the engine. Does it have a lower crossmember? The I6 cars didn't, and didn't have a top export brace that was optional on V8s. AFAIK all I6 cars had 4 lug hubs and a 7.25" differentials. V8 cars had 5-lug hubs and an 8" diff.

First mod: dual circuit master cylinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think it's funny that they named the package Caliente. It's hot! (not)