Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... huh. Am I not remembering correctly that their powers are Extremely Fire And Brimstone Type Hell themed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The Sin of Onan posted:

The write-up seems very much designed to discourage Hunters from working together with Heroes, even though it also says that the Hero rules as presented in Tooth and Nail have been tweaked significantly from those in the Beast core book “to give disproportionate attention to rules that would facilitate engagement with hunters.”

I wonder why it is that Hunters aren't meant to be working with Heroes in a crossover-type situation, even though they both theoretically have the same goals. Surely it cannot be because the writers actually want us to be working with cool, sexy, misunderstood Beasts, instead of mean, dumb, probably sports-playing Heroes? :iiam:

This comes off as really weird, because in the tons of Hero descriptions we just got in the Hero book, none of them really seemed to care about personal glory in their cause. They're mostly about killing Beasts because Beasts tried to eat them and/or their friends. They were basically very driven Hunters.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Zereth posted:

... huh. Am I not remembering correctly that their powers are Extremely Fire And Brimstone Type Hell themed?

The Lucifuge themselves? You're absolutely correct, which was why I checked in Mortal Remains to see what the official word was. I'd assumed they were meant to be somewhat related to the Demons of Inferno. But Mortal Remains kind of implies that Inferno demons and Demon Demons are related anyway, so. Who knows? One of the things that Hunter does with all the other lines (except Beast) is that it kind of blurs their fluff a little, possibly on purpose, to make them a bit more vague and less tied to the specific notions that each game line says are true. It is also worth bearing in mind that Hunter: the Vigil predates Demon: the Descent by a very long time, and hasn't yet had its second edition update, so the nature of Castigation powers may change significantly in the next core Hunter book.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I tried reading the first issue and mostly just remember a sensation of confusion and the rest is just blackout. I haven't tried to tackle it since, and prefer to pretend Appleseed Hypernotes was the last thing he did before just realizing he could draw tits for a living and didn't need to bother with pesky writing.
I have the strong suspicion that the translation for the GitS mangas was... not that good. Not entirely due to the fault of dark horse since there's a lot of unusual terminology, esoteric concepts, and Shirow just being a weird (and arguably not that good) writer in general, but most of the video adaptations are comparatively a lot more comprehensible and approachable.

And going back to the cyberpunk humanity stuff a page or two back, it's pretty transparently a game balance mechanic that got handwavey justifications in the original games with it ("Pondsmith really loved AD Police" for CP2020, something something magic uh whatever for Shadowrun) and kinda got cargo culted into later games. It's an interesting theme to deal with in fiction... but only when you're considering stuff like full-body replacements or intentionally discarding parts and similar things that mess with the sense of self. But anything less than that? I mean I'm technically a cyborg and I'm pretty sure I have only the usual goon levels of misanthropy and low self esteem. :v: Let alone all the people with hip replacements, artificial hearts, prosthetic limbs, or what have you.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

LatwPIAT posted:

This comes off as really weird, because in the tons of Hero descriptions we just got in the Hero book, none of them really seemed to care about personal glory in their cause. They're mostly about killing Beasts because Beasts tried to eat them and/or their friends. They were basically very driven Hunters.

It bears emphasising that you would NOT know that just from reading Tooth and Nail. Tooth and Nail very much toes the party line of Beast: the Primordial on Beasts and Heroes, and as I said earlier, unlike that book or Conquering Heroes, it doesn't provide any specific examples of Beasts or Heroes to unintentionally disprove the claims it's making about Heroes being egotistical jerks.

Some of the more self-aware parts of Tooth and Nails treat Heroes as survivors, victims, and basically Hunters, but also a bit like addicts chasing a fix. These are also the better parts. I can only assume that was the influence of the Hunter writer[s] assigned to this book, not the Beast writer[s] working on it.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Telling Hunter players that they shouldn't team up with Heroes because they're too extreme in their methods when 'monster-hunter that is too extreme in their methods' describes a lot of playable Hunter splats seems...misguided.

Also Beasts are so loving special and good that they are the only splat that gets a Hunter book where they're not supposed to get hunted. It's like some dumbass developer somewhere remembered too late that Hunters are supposed to be the enemy of the other gamelines by default and had a loving panic attack over the idea of people killing his special snowflakes in their game.
For some reason that's what gets me here. Not any of the other lovely stuff about Beast, it's the gall to have a crossover book about Hunters that denies the Hunt.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

*Hunter sees mage walking by*
You bitch motherfucker
*sees Beast eating souls*:
Wlel, that's his beliefs and I respect that

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there a way to send the writers of Beast All of the copies of the guide to the Fomorii + a note reading "this is what you are doing!"?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Asimo posted:

I have the strong suspicion that the translation for the GitS mangas was... not that good. Not entirely due to the fault of dark horse since there's a lot of unusual terminology, esoteric concepts, and Shirow just being a weird (and arguably not that good) writer in general, but most of the video adaptations are comparatively a lot more comprehensible and approachable.

I realized recently I've had Black Magic sitting on my shelf unread and dug through it, and there's no amount of translation that'll help that- granted it's his amateur work, but it's amazingly incoherent. And then there's Orion - I think a lot of it falls on Shirow just being Shirow, and that trying to clarify things further would fall into the realm of localization and interpretation more than translation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZeroCount posted:

Telling Hunter players that they shouldn't team up with Heroes because they're too extreme in their methods when 'monster-hunter that is too extreme in their methods' describes a lot of playable Hunter splats seems...misguided.

Also Beasts are so loving special and good that they are the only splat that gets a Hunter book where they're not supposed to get hunted. It's like some dumbass developer somewhere remembered too late that Hunters are supposed to be the enemy of the other gamelines by default and had a loving panic attack over the idea of people killing his special snowflakes in their game.
For some reason that's what gets me here. Not any of the other lovely stuff about Beast, it's the gall to have a crossover book about Hunters that denies the Hunt.

This sounds remarkably similar to basically every mechanical and metaplot decision about the original Hunter: The Reckoning. "Oh no! They could hurt our beloved monsters! Better make that impossible."

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

ZeroCount posted:

It ought to be said that that is only my reading of it, not an authoritative statement. The next entry is all about how Hunter organisations see Beasts and Heroes, and - surprise - a lot of them really don't like Beasts. That said, plenty of them do think Heroes are a bigger threat, the book offers very little mechanical support for actually fighting Beasts, and the fluff both in this section and later in the book really wants to make you, the presumed Hunter player/ST, hate Heroes as passionately as it does - they are compared to abortion clinic bombers on more than one occasion - and think Beasts are a) doing a natural work that aids humanity, and b) unfairly vilified and victimised despite doing no wrong. So I think my reading holds up despite this.

Part of the reason I split the fluff section in half - apart from it being too long - is that the two different parts of the section feel like they were written by two different people: a Beast writer who can't stand the thought of Hunter players killing his darlings, and who wrote his section to encourage players to join up with Beasts and go after mean old Heroes instead; and a Hunter writer who's not at all happy that she was put on to this garbage, and is very reluctantly writing within the premise and trying to roll with the notion that Heroes can be just as bad as Beasts, but plainly doesn't buy it. We'll call them David A Hill Jr. and Filamena Young, respectively, although I don't actually know which is which - I'm only assuming because the credits list both of those two as writers but only David Hill as the developer, and given this book's attitudes and the fact that it sprung from the Beast kickstarter, it makes sense that the developer was someone associated with Beast.* So if you think the book is being too cuddly with Beasts at the moment, you'll be pleased to know that's about to change with a vengeance.

And then revert to being too cuddly with Beasts again. You know what they say about all good things.

* After I wrote this bit, I went and checked rpggeek.com to confirm, and yes, David Hill was a developer for Beast: the Primordial, and Filamena Young was a developer for Mortal Remains. It's nice when your guesses turn out to be right.

Night10194 posted:

This sounds remarkably similar to basically every mechanical and metaplot decision about the original Hunter: The Reckoning. "Oh no! They could hurt our beloved monsters! Better make that impossible."

I'm not super qualified to comment, but a lot of people have said that Beast embodies most of what was terrible about OWoD. So you're probably on to something there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I, for one, always took the mentality in my Hunter campaign that the existence of other game lines and how they present themselves are merely suggestions, not rules. I never cared for the God-Machine as a concept or the Demons as presented in that line, so I kept the traditional fire and brimstone demons.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Cythereal posted:

I, for one, always took the mentality in my Hunter campaign that the existence of other game lines and how they present themselves are merely suggestions, not rules. I never cared for the God-Machine as a concept or the Demons as presented in that line, so I kept the traditional fire and brimstone demons.

I think that's the mentality that most of the Hunter line encourages, to be honest :) It's really only Tooth and Nail that's super strict on what Beasts and Heroes are, and how they work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So I just woke up to this giant bit of Beast apologia and I'm facepalming so hard I no longer have a skull.

I really get the sense that Matt wrote all the sections where beasts are glorified and heroes demonized, and trusted that everyone else would write characters to suit his vision. But everyone else knew better and wrote actual well rounded heroes and... Well honestly most of the beasts in here are dumb but whatever... Then when Matt came back and read his copy and replied "oh yes, how dare this lesbian try to keep her children from understanding true wisdom!?" he's regarded with the same care as the racist old grandfather whom you gently placate as you surreptitiously drive them to the old folks home.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Speaking of Demon and the God-Machine, didn't someone do a write up of God-Machine Chronicle? I wanted to go back and read but don't see it on Inklesspen's archive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Strange Matter posted:

So what I'm getting from that is that Das Tragheit is basically the result of a player super min-maxing his character to be able to do exactly one thing that can kill anybody without Zed resistance. What a jerk.
Oh hey, just for you:

This is from Will to Power, the SS sourcebook. (I wonder how many RPGs, excluding wargames, have an official Nazi Sourcebook?) Turns out I was right, his power is a modified Disintegrate. So not much of a cost break; he's pretty powerful.

The most cleverly minmaxed dude we get a sheet for is probably Pevnost. The guy can transport people globally, which is incredibly useful, but his powers' limitations keep the point cost quite low.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Sin of Onan posted:

* After I wrote this bit, I went and checked rpggeek.com to confirm, and yes, David Hill was a developer for Beast: the Primordial, and Filamena Young was a developer for Mortal Remains. It's nice when your guesses turn out to be right.
Huh, that's...surprising, actually, given what I've seen of them on social media.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Guessing who wrote what based on 'well, they worked on this line before' is rarely accurate, from what Dave Brookshaw's said in the White Wolf thread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One thing I have heard second-hand though is that the writers for Conquering Heroes and Tooth & Nail were only given the initial copy of Beast to work with, not the finalized one with the changes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

One thing I have heard second-hand though is that the writers for Conquering Heroes and Tooth & Nail were only given the initial copy of Beast to work with, not the finalized one with the changes.
Hilarious if true. Not that it'd explain everything. Or anything, really.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember that the Nomads book for V:tR 1st edition read like a book that had been written for Masquerade. Anyone know what was up with that?

(Specifically, they seemed to allude to things like all Nosferatu being horribly deformed and Gangrel having animal features, which were their clan weaknesses in Masquerade.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It does explain how almost every single Hero that we're supposed to be Conquering became a hero after a close personal encounter with a Beast.

It doesn't explain why we're supposed to take that as a failing on their part and kill them in their sleep.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Rifts World Book 8: Japan Part 10: “Most Demon Quellers have a weakness for beautiful women”

So, today we are visiting the Demon Queller OCC. He is a “truly unique character,” as no other class in this game line or even this chapter is devoted to fighting demons, no sir. These are monastically trained demon fighters and 70% of their monasteries are located in China. That’s almost more specific info about China than we’ve learned anywhere else to date. Anyway, these guys really hate demons, because gently caress demons that’s why, they’re gonna kill them some demons, and when they’re done, they’ll go kill EVEN MORE demons. :black101:

But hey, just because they love to hate demons doesn’t mean they don’t like to party! They totally like to party. So much that demons will send girls out to party with them as spies or maybe hold a maiden hostage because they will do anything for the ladies. This is why Demon Quellers usually travel alone, or join forces with other heroes and demon slayers. Nobody knows how many of these hard-partying demon-quelling dudes there are, but maybe a lot! Maybe a whole lot but nobody knows, not even the demons.

The stereotypical Demon Queller is a large, muscular man, usually of Chinese (emphasis theirs) or Japanese heritage with a wild, bushy beard and mustache. They wear ornate silk robes (because armor is for pussies and demons), a “Chinese scholar’s cap”, and large black boots. They are loud, direct and outspoken, as one is after a monastic upbringing. When not fighting demons, they party. :guinness: Their favorite weapons are large swords, axes, and polearms. Bonus round question: Which Dynasty Warriors character am I?

Alien Rope Burn: I’m 98% positive this is Yin Chik-ha, the ghost hunter from 1987’s A Chinese Ghost Story.

Theoretically women can become Demon Quellers but nobody in Japan has ever seen one.

To the Powers List!
  • Mystic Body Hardening Exercises: They get mystic martial arts powers as follows: Stone Ox, “Chi-Gun”, Iron Hand, and Kick Practice/Chagi. These are all described in the mystic martial arts section in the back, but the summary says they allow the Demon Queller to MDC-ify their poo poo. For two minutes at a time they can turn their SDC + hit points to MDC, which with the right skill selections + the Ox thing should give them ~200ish. Not modified by level beyond the small gain in SDC/hit points. They can also do small amounts of MDC with kicks and punches. Their best bet is to jump kick constantly, it’s a single attack and does 3D6.
  • Chi..MD...Death Blow. (special):
  • Magic Spell Abilities: They know only the spells that help them fight demons and “aren’t interested in learning any others, at best, one or two spells every three levels.” Initial spells: globe of daylight, breathe without air, impervious to fire, circle of flame, fire ball, call lightning, charismatic aura, magic net, tongues, words of truth, exorcism, banishment, and protection circle: simple. Certainly no other spells could ever be applicable in demon fighting.

my hat-radar senses danger

• Meditation: 20% + 6% per level for the same ability all the other mystic classes have.

That’s actually it. After the yamabushi this is astonishingly brief. They get very modest PPE, but since the main thing they have to spend it on is hardening their muscles every two minutes (eight torturous Palladium rounds) they won’t burn through it all that fast. Unless they want to exorcise something, in which case they better be on a nexus. They get some modest combat bonii, plus immunity to possession (actually pretty strong in a world with Alien Intelligences everywhere), and immunity to vampire bites and mind control. +1 to save vs. other kinds of mind control, like sexy lady mind control.

Alignment is again on the scrupulous-unprincipled-anarchist axis. ME 14 and PS 12 to play. Any race and any gender may theoretically join, but most of them fail the critical ‘looking like Guan Yu’ requirement in some fashion. Their skills are primarily non-technical martial, and despite being completely devoted to doing nothing but fighting and flipping out on people they are forbidden to take acrobatics and boxing.

They ‘seldom wear armor’ because that 200-some MDC is going to last all day. They do get a silk robe, several sets of general clothing, boots, gloves, rope, sacks, backpacks, survival gear, and if they can ride a horse they are generously allotted a horse. Weaponswise they get a “high-quality, large sword (or two)” which leaves them still SDC weapons they probably shouldn’t break on demon hides, a knife, and three weapons of choice, which can be vibro-blades or guns or other modern tools. 2D6x1000 credits to start, and while they often make a lot of money, they often spend it lavishly. Other less well-compensated OCCs with very similar roles sometimes resent the Demon Queller.

This class would be balanced and decent if enemies in Rifts did not all have such incredibly inflated MDC totals, and if technological characters didn’t start out with much, much better stuff both in armor and weaponry. Why be a dinky little bearded drunk guy when you could be a SAMAS pilot with more MDC, the ability to fly at 200MPH, a railgun and missile barrages? Yes, I did just answer my own question there but statistically the Demon Queller doesn’t really live up to their fluff text, which is par for the Rifts course.

Tengu RCC

Tengu are a famous feature of Japanese mythology, occupying a number of different roles depending on the legend in question, sometimes as trickster, sometimes teacher, always mysterious. In Rifts they “tease, criticize, mock, annoy and play practical jokes on Buddhist priests (ancient rivals of the Shintoists who are their friends) and those “who worship technology.” They especially hate posers who claim to be priests, ninja or samurai but use power armor or cyber-limbs or anything else.

Tengu pranks tend to be ridiculously annoying, like moving things even to the point of tossing them into tree branches, tying shoelaces together, turning on gun safeties (:raise:), setting fires (hilarious prank!) and enjoying the chaos. The text refers to them often as ‘mountain goblins’ which seems a bit reductive.

They also hate Chinese and Indian mystical creatures and gods. Just, because. Especially Garuda and the ‘t’ien-kou’ Celestial Dog which is not statted in this book.

Of course, if you’re a “true” samurai, mystic ninja, or one of those other numerous wandering luddite classes that clings to the fairyland image of Japan, they show respect. Others who seem close to nature get less shade thrown as well, including druids, psi-stalkers (?!), Dog-boys (lotta those around Japan), simvan, and Wolfen--but not the other canids I guess. The good-aligned ones are also nice to poor people.

They protect Shinto buildings and sometimes help out monks and priests by doing chores or leaving food. Sometimes they even provide religious instruction directly. Good-aligned ones again tend to protect humans from demons and even from the worst depredations of their own brethren. Also, because :japan: they’re all martial artists and weapon masters.

Evil tengu are just dicks, whose pranks often turn dangerous or vile such as kidnapping children as slaves. People leave them offerings to try and get them to leave, but basically they’re jerks who are more creative than the usual ‘enjoys torturing and killing people’ level of Rifts monster.

Apparently a bunch of them are supposed to live on Mt. Kurama, and playing a gleeful prankster is noted as a delightful diversion to lighten up any group! Everyone loves kender after all. Evil ones of course make nice NPC villains who can create a lot of chaos.

On to the powers!

[list]
[*] Shape-change into a human: They often take the form of religious persons matching the tengu’s own biological sex. 12 hrs duration, and they can only appear Asian. Good thing that’s a narrow category with little variation. Limited to between 6 ft and 3 ft (!) tall.
[*] Possess Others: They can possess people, how charming. This only allows speech through the affected person’s mouth, and only on a willing victim, or one asleep, unconscious, or in a trance. One minute per level, and they speak and language the host does. I can't see the point of this unless there's a language barrier maybe but--nah.
[*] Spells: they have several spells they know instinctively and can teach to others if they wish.
[*] Teng-jutsu: They have a special martial art all their own which I’ll get to in a minute, and NPC tengu also know another art in addition. Go for that sweet aikido.

They get pretty good PPE, some pretty strong natural bonuses including immunity to normal fire and half from magical and mega-damage fire. They also fatigue at 1/10th the rate of humans, not that we have a lot of mechanics for that.

We heard a lot in the fluff text about good- and evil-aligned tengu; turns out 3% are principled, 12% scrupulous, 20% unprincipled, 30% anarchist, 5% aberrant, 20% miscreant, and 10% diabolic. So the scale’s a bit tipped.

They get good attribute rolls (PP 2D6+12), natural MDC of 3D4x10+PE, nightvision, see the invisible, sense supernatural, and regen 3D6 MD per hour. They naturally punch for 1D4 MD and kick for 1D6. They get a lot of old-timey skills though can also learn sciences, and “Technical: Any (+10%) except computers or any tech skills.” Okay. :raise:

They are prominently described as having wings but nowhere in this statblock do they have the ability to fly. They get almost nothing for equipment and are described as a bit magpie-like in being drawn to silk and shiny stuff, but they don’t usually hoard.

Teng-Jutsu

So the tengu, being Oriental mountain-goblins, have a secret martial art all their own. They also gain all special powers for the art at level 1, versus making everyone else wait to get their stuff. They do get bonuses at every level but they are fairly average.

The specal powers are:
[list]
[*]Tengu acrobatics, giving even more bonuses but not as many as the default Acrobatics skill.
[*]Tengu Leap: 10 ft +2 per level.
[*]Tengu Automatic Leap Dodge: An automatic dodge done acrobatically with accompanying wisecracks. This is confusingly phrased: “Each leaping dodge uses up one melee attack, but can be done indefinitely to avoid attack and damage as if it were a parry.” I--okay. I guess you lose one attack a round for automatic dodges thereafter? It also says that the tengu often use this to frustrate and anger opponents, making snide remarks at every missed attack, much like an entire race of Nightwings. “A frustrated or angry opponent tends to become reckless, will tire himself out foolishly, and focus on his leaping opponent rather than what’s happening around him.” No mechanical support for this statement.

Alien Rope Burn: I swear I’ve read this mechanic like ten times trying to figure out what the everliving gently caress they were trying to convey and I’m still coming up with nothing.

[*]Tengu Timed Leap: I’m seeing a theme here. This is a carefully timed leap meant to make an opponent strike something inopportune, like a rock, or another opponent. Only a +2 and PP bonuses allowed, no other bonii.
[*]Tengu Kick Attack: Instead of punching, they can use kicks. Amazing. Add 1D6 MDC if you’re a tengu, SDC if you’re a meatbag.
[*]Tengu Power Kick: Humans can do 2D6 MDC, Tengu do 5D6, and it counts as two attacks.
[*]Tengu Power Punch: 1D4 MD for humans, 2D6 for tengu, two attacks. Absolutely no reason to use this over the kick unless you fear enemies seeing your petticoats.

So 'teng-jutsu' isn't all tha great on the scale of Palladium martial arts honestly, Rifts always makes a huge deal out of ordinary humans being able to do MDC with punches and kicks but it's always so little as to be meaningless. All the other stuff, various kinds of jumping around, aren't much more than flash. The Automatic Leap Dodge might be good if you could ever figure out what the hell they actually mean by it, but the type of player who would choose a tengu is likely the sort who would make unendurable bad wisecracks every dodge roll so it's probably better if you don't try and figure it out.

Next: NOW we get to the Republic of Japan.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, at this point I have to assume that my earlier joke that the Beast line is really a thinly-disguised "Chronicles of the Elders of Zion: The RPG" that targeted the LGBTQ community is in fact what actually happened.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember that the Nomads book for V:tR 1st edition read like a book that had been written for Masquerade. Anyone know what was up with that?

(Specifically, they seemed to allude to things like all Nosferatu being horribly deformed and Gangrel having animal features, which were their clan weaknesses in Masquerade.)

Nomads was a really early book in Requiem's development (something like the second book rushed out the gate after the core), and a lot of the early books had material left over from when the game was still trying to differentiate itself from Masquerade.

You saw some of that in the corebook too. The Unholy, the Gangrel sig character, has those bird talons that were only later retconned as something unique to her rather than a clan weakness in general.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The super chill part about Conquering Heroes being like half, two-thirds breathless hagiography of Beasts in the face of those icky mean man Heroes is that it undercuts the already flimsy-to-the-point-of-ethereality defense of Beast that "hey maybe it's being somehow written out of character as an unreliable narrator" unless that logic is just supposed to poison every book and line it touches. Which hey: Maybe.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay I just sent links to these Beast reviews to a friend of mine who was a hardcore WoD fan back in the 90s and early 00s (LARP at Grand Masquerades and the whole deal), but had to get out of gaming due to real life. He initial reaction was "What the gently caress!? What the Christ!? This is a joke right? This isn't a real thing is it?"

I told him it was real and sent him the link to the DTRPG page. His response was "I supported all the weird Mage splats. I even liked Kindred of the East. This splat should not exist. It goes against everything that WoD was supposed to be." Whatever that means.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I told him it was real and sent him the link to the DTRPG page. His response was "I supported all the weird Mage splats. I even liked Kindred of the East. This splat should not exist. It goes against everything that WoD was supposed to be." Whatever that means.
For comparison, I'm rereading Vampire: The Masquerade 2nd edition right now, and the credits page begins with a note that it's a game about moral responsibility, and a dedication to Vaclav Havel.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I suppose he means given you have lines like Geist, Changeling, and Promethean that's about trying to find/reclaim your humanity, while Vampire's about struggling with your monstrous hunger and your morality, and other lines have themes about finding one's place in the world, or dealing with conflicting needs and wants.

Beast's just straight up "gently caress you, I do what I want because I'm special."

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 8, 2017

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Most of them are probably just going to go "loving Mages" for a while.

Even Mages will be confused at the sight of Valkyrie Sentai Mahounger, the example team of magical girl that somehow ended up working for Task Force Valkyrie.

ZeroCount posted:

*Hunter sees mage walking by*
You bitch motherfucker
*sees Beast eating souls*:
Wlel, that's his beliefs and I respect that

And this is why TFV needs them. Magical girls see with the heart.

Asimo posted:

I found at least the first movie somewhat hard to follow because most characters couldn't hold conversations with each other without devolving into pseudo-philosophical nonsense. I was taken aback at how much more casual everyone was in the manga.

occamsnailfile posted:

They protect Shinto buildings and sometimes help out monks and priests by doing chores or leaving food. Sometimes they even provide religious instruction directly. Good-aligned ones again tend to protect humans from demons and even from the worst depredations of their own brethren. Also, because :japan: they’re all martial artists and weapon masters.

That's actually somewhat correct. Tengu are generally known for being badass sword masters who occasionally teach samurai.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 8, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doresh posted:

I found at least the first movie somewhat hard to follow because most characters couldn't hold conversations with each other without devolving into pseudo-philosophical nonsense. I was taken aback at how much more casual everyone was in the manga.

I actually don't like the first movie

*waits for the horrified gasps to subside*

It was just way too dense with philosophy for me to easily grasp the plot. Innocence by comparison is fairly straightforward and it still has a rocking soundtrack.

e: When the preview for the live action movie came up during the superbowl I had a pretty interesting conversation with my father.

"Well she isn't wearing much."
"More than she does in the anime."
(head slowly turns towards me in horror)
"She's just straight up naked. Also she's a robot."
(cocks head like a confused dog)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

Why would I be gasping you're 100% correct.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kurieg posted:

It was just way too dense with philosophy for me to easily grasp the plot. Innocence by comparison is fairly straightforward and it still has a rocking soundtrack.

That mirrors my experience with the series. The first one features amazing animation, but the plot is kind of a mess. The second one still has pseudo-philosophical nonsense (even featuring action scenes where characters are just throwing philosophical quotes at each other), but at least you can follow it. Though the manga version of the adapted plots are better IMO.

Also she's wearing a stealth bodysuit that's either transparent or flesh-colored. Totally not naked :goonsay:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stand Alone Complex was so good partly for the Stand Alone Episodes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

Even Mages will be confused at the sight of Valkyrie Sentai Mahounger, the example team of magical girl that somehow ended up working for Task Force Valkyrie.

And this is why TFV needs them. Magical girls see with the heart.

Back when someone was doing Princess: the Hopeful, I remember suggesting that the magical girls might as well just be Hunters, with their magical girl powers as their Endowment.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Back when someone was doing Princess: the Hopeful, I remember suggesting that the magical girls might as well just be Hunters, with their magical girl powers as their Endowment.

How good are Endowments at doing the impossible and breaking the unbreakable? That happens in every finale.

(Giant Robots would also be nice for that Rayearth support.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Stand Alone Complex was so good partly for the Stand Alone Episodes.

And then NIGHT CRUISE happens and you're wondering what the gently caress happened and why are you listening to a guy monologuing about his rotten junk for 20 minutes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

How good are Endowments at doing the impossible and breaking the unbreakable? That happens in every finale.

The Malleus Maleficarum can bring back the dead with one of their top-tier Endowments. At the time Hunter was originally written, this was something no other splat in the entire World of Darkness could do short of Archmages.

So yeah, Endowments are free reign to do some serious poo poo if you are so inclined.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Kurieg posted:

I actually watched the movie a month or so for real and kind of reached the same conclusion. My only real exposure to it prior had been scattered clips and the King of my Castle music video. Otherwise my major exposure to the GITS franchise had been SAC in this case. Something which might have coloured my opinion somewhat. But at the same time I prefer SAC much more over the original movie.
But I will still see the live-action one regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

The thing about Tooth and Nail which bugs me is how the Beast writers seem to not have gotten Hunter when they talk about Heroes being too fanatical for Hunters.

I don't think it's unintentional that the Union, who are portrayed as fundamentally decent folk, are also the same kind of 'concerned citizens' who would take fire and pitchforks to a Promethean, TF:VALKYRIE is running straight-up special forces death squads, Chieron is at best a profit-oriented and even more amoral translation of the Technocracy's Progenitors, and at worst is harvesting sapient beings for profit, and so on. Hunter is very much a game which encourages fanaticism-and reflections on how that fanaticism renders you less human, in ways, than even the things you hunt. Remember that a vampire, even the worst non-Draugr vampire, knows, deep down inside, that genocide is bad. A mage, even the most callous wizard, knows that deep down inside killing people-and that includes humans and vampires and prometheans and other thinking creatures-is bad. There is no guarantee that a Hunter thinks the same way even though they might have higher "Morality." This, I think, was intentional.

Heroes also trying to touch upon that would make the book a good place to point these things out and explore those themes, but they just copped out and declared Hunters are the good guys and so are Beasts because ???