Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
What's the general consensus on The Magicians? I caught an episode, and it seems like someone really wanted to make an 'edgy' Harry Potter where casting spells is basically over-dramatic gloving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronash posted:

What's the general consensus on The Magicians? I caught an episode, and it seems like someone really wanted to make an 'edgy' Harry Potter where casting spells is basically over-dramatic gloving.

It's terrible but the cast is gorgeous and hilarious.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Counterpoint: Lost's ending was always going to alienate one side of the audience, the other half thought and still thinks that is was great. :colbert:

And they will always been wrong because it was hot trash.

Baronash posted:

You pretty much got it. It's trashy but oddly enjoyable.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I watch the poo poo out of the Magicians. It's not great TV but it's pretty fun and I enjoy how much a dick Penny is. I like all the characters.

Also you get to watch someone shotgun god semen to fight a demon, so there is that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LOST ending rules and the only reason the opposite started getting taken as gospel is because Devin Faraci is loud and opinionated as gently caress

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

APB

Pros:
Kevin Chapman as the District Captain.
Ernie Hudson as the Senior Sergeant.
Justin Kirk does smarmy arrogant rear end in a top hat really well.
It's a Matt Nix show and I liked the first few seasons of Burn Notice and all of The Good Guys
Len Wiseman was responsible for the amazing first season of Sleepy Hollow.
Nestor Sorrano's Mayor is the ideal corrupt rear end in a top hat this kind of series needs.

Cons:
Unfettered Surveillance is the best!
Chicago underfunding the CPD? Not going to happen. This should have been set in Detroit.
Magical computer tech.
Has a 'White Man's Burden' vibe along with adding 'Rich Techie' to the beginning of the phrase.

Two things would make this better. Make it subversive as gently caress by outwardly touting how great this surveillance and millions poured into tech are, while simultaneously showing how hosed up Chicago is getting because of it. Second, have Captain Hauser call his cousin Lionel in New York to brag about all the technology his district now has.

Speaking of APB, didn't someone say the same thing earlier?

quote:

The way Kirk sees it, however, he wanted to play Reeves because of the guy’s similarities to a very different wealthy crime fighter.

“When someone comes to you with a project that seems different from what you’ve done before, and it seems rich with good stuff to say and do, you kind of have to say yes,” the veteran actor tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I though it’d be interesting to do APB so I could explore whether or not Gideon’s view on the criminal justice system might be a good idea. Plus, I get to be Batman.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/justin-kirk-apb-cop-drama-971132

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cart posted:

Annual reminder that The Americans is the actual best show on TV that people would enjoy watching if they gave it a chance (sorry Rectify).

I hate to be that guy again, but since there's so many ppl here raving about it....

I think the Americans is a punishing show that is humorless and ridiculously harrowing. It's not a show that I enjoyed that much and by the second season I was glad to leave it behind and watch something else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't quite hate it that much but yeah I have absolutely no idea why The Americans is so acclaimed. It's so dull and aimless, and good performances can't overcome poor writing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The show just gets so dull in season 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: it takes until like episode 7 of season 1 to stop being "mission of the week" and then starts to get really good. There's a bit of a lull in the back half of season 2, but the payoff is worth it.

Edit: like, I came around to Mad Men eventually, but I find The Americans way more interesting and engaging.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's your Legion thread for tonight: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809253&perpage=40

Feel like I could've done better on the thread title but I'm sure a more appropriate quote will come along soon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Counterpoint: it takes until like episode 7 of season 1 to stop being "mission of the week" and then starts to get really good. There's a bit of a lull in the back half of season 2, but the payoff is worth it.

Edit: like, I came around to Mad Men eventually, but I find The Americans way more interesting and engaging.

Mad Men and the Americans have the same problem for what it's worth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

LOST ending rules and the only reason the opposite started getting taken as gospel is because Devin Faraci is loud and opinionated as gently caress

Who?

It's a bad episode because it's bad and exactly what everyone knew it would be but they swore up and down it wasn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

It's a bad episode because it's bad and exactly what everyone knew it would be but they swore up and down it wasn't.

What do you me-OH GOD you're not one of those people who thinks the finale actually WAS that they were in purgatory the whole time are you?? If you're not I really don't get what you mean

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Who?

The flash sideways were the show's version of afterlife/heaven. Could the flash sideways be read as purgatory? Sure.

But what people (including myself, for the first three or so seasons) had thought was that the ISLAND itself was purgatory, which it was not. The events on the island really happened to the characters, and when they died they were taken to the flash sideways "universe", were they were given a chance to reunite with their loved ones from the island and atone for their sins.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 8, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He knows he's just terrible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lost has really annoyingly loud blaring sad music signifying SADNESS and it was the most annoying in the finale. Add in all the slow motion shots of people crying and it just feels like manipulative garbage telling me I should be sad. gently caress off Damon Lindelof.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Lost has really annoyingly loud blaring sad music signifying SADNESS and it was the most annoying in the finale. Add in all the slow motion shots of people crying and it just feels like manipulative garbage telling me I should be sad. gently caress off Damon Lindelof.

Deadpool had really annoying silly soundtack drops signifying RIDICULOUSNESS and it was the most annoying in the finale. Add in the slow motion shots of heroes doing awesome stuff and it just feels like manipulative garbage telling me I should be enjoying myself. gently caress off Ryan Reynolds.

[Edit: all media is designed to be emotionally manipulative is the point I'm making here]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 8, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That actually does mostly apply to Suicide Squad haha. But yeah LOST-wise seems like a fuckin weird complaint.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Lost, but the final season is damaged by some terrible choices. The flash "sideways" (which, in retrospect, is inaccurate, they're still just flashforwards) are kinda irrelevant and end up resembling a Christians Couple Weekend advertisement, in an utterly baffling choice. The show wraps up a number of character arcs in really terrible ways (Sun, Jin, Widmore) and the final confrontation feels pokey and small.

But, yes, I still like the show -- despite its love of being cryptic over being concrete, despite its tendency to poorly characterize its tertiary characters, and despite some really melodramatic scoring -- because it's fun. It's shallow as gently caress some times, but it's fun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lelandjs posted:

Deadpool had really annoying silly soundtack drops signifying RIDICULOUSNESS and it was the most annoying in the finale. Add in the slow motion shots of heroes doing awesome stuff and it just feels like manipulative garbage telling me I should be enjoying myself. gently caress off Ryan Reynolds.

[Edit: all media is designed to be emotionally manipulative is the point I'm making here]

I don't like Deadpool either but more because of the cringey edgey jokes. You can manipulate emotions without being annoying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't quite hate it that much but yeah I have absolutely no idea why The Americans is so acclaimed. It's so dull and aimless, and good performances can't overcome poor writing.

Dull and aimless? Even if you don't like it those are weird criticisms imo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Dull and aimless? Even if you don't like it those are weird criticisms imo

Did you watch season 2? I'm struggling to articulate it in any other way too.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't like Deadpool either but more because of the cringey edgey jokes. You can manipulate emotions without being annoying.

I dislike most multicam shows with laugh tracks because it makes me feel awkward when I hear people laughing but I'm not laughing myself (looking at you, Big Bang Theory). Laugh tracks aren't always bad, though (IT Crowd, HIMYM).

Lost's finale has never felt overly manipulative to me, personally, because whenever I rewatch the show by the time the finale comes around I'm completely involved with the characters and their problems again. The fact that the show allows--heck, encourages--a full release of grief upon the ending isn't actually a bad thing.

But yeah, if you don't care as deeply about the characters, and instead cared more about the mysteries and conspiracies, then yeah, I guess the finale will ring emotionally false for you because you weren't given the release you wanted.

That's why I said that the finale works for roughly half of Lost viewers earlier. The half that cared about the characters got an ending they wanted, while the people who wanted grand, sweeping explanations out of the show were left wanting.

I would argue that, taken as a whole, Lost posits that the grander events in our lives don't matter--what really matters is who you are and treat those around you--and that's why they chose the ending they went with. That said this post has gone on too long already and also I'm sure X-O is looking for an excuse to ban Lost finale chat from the thread again so I should probably shut up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Travelers renewed, The OA renewed.

I'm happy about both of these things, tbh.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same, good on them both.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

That's why I said that the finale works for roughly half of Lost viewers earlier. The half that cared about the characters got an ending they wanted, while the people who wanted grand, sweeping explanations out of the show were left wanting.

I would argue that, taken as a whole, Lost posits that the grander events in our lives don't matter--what really matters is who you are and treat those around you--and that's why they chose the ending they went with. That said this post has gone on too long already and also I'm sure X-O is looking for an excuse to ban Lost finale chat from the thread again so I should probably shut up.

With the fear of resurrecting decade old arguments, I don't think this is entirely fair.

Lost lost people because it so leaned into the mystery and conspiracy angle, which really when you think of can never really have that much of a satisfying ending, and people bought into the premise that there would be a satisfactory ending, as implied by the show and explicitly stated by the creators during its run.

That's the cause of the bad taste re the show and its lowered ranking on shows people talk about a decade or so after its finale, IMO.

Don't have a personal dog in this hunt, I'd already peaced out with the hatch reveal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone actively still watching LOST wanting a proper answer to all the mysteries by the end of season 6 deserved to be disappointed. Somewhere around season 3 I was just like "gently caress it it's magic ok whatever" and stopped looking for answers and it got a lot better.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Escobarbarian posted:

Sure, if you ignore A) The opinions of the majority of people who don't know who the gently caress Devin Faraci is, and B) That the whole final season is largely just a waste of time. And I even liked the finale.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just announced:

quote:

Castlevania Season 1, Part 1 Coming to Netflix in 2017

:tviv:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything the problem with LOST was that it answered too much. For example, the episode with Richard's back story was cool but also completely unnecessary.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

Sure, if you ignore A) The opinions of the majority of people who don't know who the gently caress Devin Faraci is, and B) That the whole final season is largely just a waste of time. And I even liked the finale.

But the finale is specifically the thing people single out as being awful and terrible etc. I don't even really disagree about season 6 as a whole, it's almost def the weakest overall, but that's not what we're talking about really.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost just became a mess long before the finale. It had raised so many questions with no clear or satisfying answers that that consumed it, and then it became about giving over explanations to those answers that could never be as interesting as the stuff fans had spent years dreaming up (and even if it was, the fans would just say they called it years ago). It just became this muddled mess of using magic to justify whatever thing they wanted to do and the narrative completely fell apart.

But that's not on the finale. Lost was a mess way before then. So if you were super into the final season then you were probably good with it and liked how the finale tied it up and if you hated the final season then the finale was just the inevitable lovely ending for that. It was two different shows for two different audiences, and the problem was just that a bunch of people who were into the first couple of season (myself included) never really accepted that their show had become someone else's show. We can criticize the direction the show took but in complaining about the finale we're really just mad at ourselves for sticking around and hoping it would turn around.

Now BSG? That's just a lovely finale twist.

:)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 8, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

Lost just became a mess long before the finale. It had raised so many questions with no clear or satisfying answers that that consumed it, and then it became about giving over explanations to those answers that could never be as interesting as the stuff fans had spent years dreaming up (and even if it was, the fans would just say they called it years ago). It just became this muddled mess of using magic to justify whatever thing they wanted to do and the narrative completely fell apart.

But that's not on the finale. Lost was a mess way before then. So if you were super into the final season then you were probably good with it and liked how the finale tied it up and if you hated the final season then the finale was just the inevitable lovely ending for that. It was two different shows for two different audiences, and the problem was just that a bunch of people who were into the first couple of season (myself included) never really accepted that their show had become someone else's show. We can criticize the direction the show took but in complaining about the finale we're really just mad at ourselves for sticking around and hoping it would turn around.

Now BSG? That's just a lovely finale twist.

:)

Agreeing with all of this post right here.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I quit Quantico after the mid season 1 break. Did I make the right decision?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eventually.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Escobarbarian posted:

I like it because I admire Elizabeth's ideological commitment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

less laughter posted:

Just announced:
(Castlevania)

What a horrible night to have a slow bandwidth? I'm sure something better can be workshopped before it arrives.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

less laughter posted:

Just announced:

[Castlevania coming to Netflix]

This might be the animated one that Adi Shankar -- producer of Dredd and that gritty Power/Rangers short from a year or so back -- was putting together with Frederator Studios. If that's the case, hold on to your butts because Shankar's a drat hombre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Like.....one of those bad hombres?

• Locked thread