Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh nice, I go to Vegas once a year. Have you been to Settebello out there? Not that you'd ever really need to but that was prob my favorite cheap neapolitan pizza place when I visited.

Sette Bello is probably the best neapolitan pie in Vegas, tho they've been hit and miss lately. They do have a great bar at their Summerlin location, so my lady and I hit that a few times a month for good drinks and some tasty slices. But I've made my pizza for a few locals/pizza diehards/Italians and I've consistently heard that my sourdough crust blows everything out of the water, so I'm excited to get it out and into the public more. Always happy to fire up some pizzas for goons coming through Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Nice, my wife and I are coming there for Evo probably in July I think so maybe I'll try to hit you up then and learn your pizza secrets

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

Nice, my wife and I are coming there for Evo probably in July I think so maybe I'll try to hit you up then and learn your pizza secrets

evo bros :hfive:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I got a Baking Steel for Christmas and I haven't produced anything even approaching decent until tonight:

The broiler in my oven requires some coaxing to click on but the results are good so long as you don't overdo it (like the second pie above). I used this dough recipe from the Baking Steel people and even though it's not perfect it's worlds better than the other recipes I've tried.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I make pizza on an aluminum sheet, cooked at 400 or 425 in an oven, and the crust on the bottom is always crispy at first then gets soggy after sitting in the sheet for several minutes after cutting. Any tips to make it stay crispy that don't involve buying anything?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wire rack dude

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I can't just put the dough on the wrack because it'd fall through and look like that one horror picture.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

after cooking, like a cookie rack.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
I'm going to order a baking steel but wondering which to get, round or rectangular, 1/4", 1/3" or 1/2". Thoughts? Normally, I would think to get a round one like my two pizza stones but the 1/2" is quite tempting and only comes in rectangular.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think rectangular make more sense and is easier to slide a pie on to. I went with ⅜ and that is crazy heavy. ½ inch will weigh a ton.

edit: I have this one (the shogun, apparently) https://smile.amazon.com/Dough-Joe-Baking-Sheet-Samurai-trade/dp/B00LBKWSGC/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

whatupdet posted:

I'm going to order a baking steel but wondering which to get, round or rectangular, 1/4", 1/3" or 1/2". Thoughts? Normally, I would think to get a round one like my two pizza stones but the 1/2" is quite tempting and only comes in rectangular.

As big as you can fit in your oven with at least a couple inches of clearance all the way around, as thick as you can lift and afford.

Square is better. Not only are you going to use it to cook pizzas, but it also serves as an excellent temperature moderator in your oven, even when you're not cooking directly on it.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Square is better. Not only are you going to use it to cook pizzas, but it also serves as an excellent temperature moderator in your oven, even when you're not cooking directly on it.

What do you mean by temperature moderator? Does it keep the oven at a consistent temperature better? Just got one of these pizza stones and I'm curious if I can use it to help my oven even out heat when baking macarons.

Also, what's a good way to clean a pizza stone? My first attempt at pizza ended up with me spilling some cheese and toppings onto the stone and it getting burnt to a crisp in the oven :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A stone or (especially) a steel plate in the oven is a big chunk of thermal mass. It'll take a bit to warm up, but once you get thirty pounds of steel to 400° (or whatever,) opening the oven door isn't quite as terrible as it was before. The heat in the steel will help to bring the temperature right back up to where it was, much faster than the burner or element would by itself.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

A stone or (especially) a steel plate in the oven is a big chunk of thermal mass. It'll take a bit to warm up, but once you get thirty pounds of steel to 400° (or whatever,) opening the oven door isn't quite as terrible as it was before. The heat in the steel will help to bring the temperature right back up to where it was, much faster than the burner or element would by itself.

Ah I see, that's good to know. Thanks!

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

MrYenko posted:

So what you're saying is I should always leave the steel in my oven, not just for pizzas, good to know.

I decided on the 3/8" steel, I.Am.Excited!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You are going to love it. It makes a HUGE difference for pizzas and breads.

Be aware though that when Yenko says "it'll take a bit to warm up", it means like, 20-30 minutes minimum. If you've got an IR thermometer you can temp it in your own oven after 20 minutes to get an idea, but my 3/8" steel took a solid 35 minutes to come up to oven temp. Cooking in the oven before then, even if the oven itself says that it is preheated, is going to result in some very wonky natural convection around the inside as the steel sucks up heat, the element kicks on constantly, and the hot air convects.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

whatupdet posted:

So what you're saying is I should always leave the steel in my oven, not just for pizzas, good to know.

I decided on the 3/8" steel, I.Am.Excited!

I also have a 3/8" steel and I generally store mine outside the oven. it's really nice for bread but I'm always annoyed when it takes an extra 20-30 minutes to preheat the oven when I'm just trying to toast some nuts or make cornbread or I want to shift racks and have to deal with a heavy chunk of steel.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

You are going to love it. It makes a HUGE difference for pizzas and breads.

Be aware though that when Yenko says "it'll take a bit to warm up", it means like, 20-30 minutes minimum. If you've got an IR thermometer you can temp it in your own oven after 20 minutes to get an idea, but my 3/8" steel took a solid 35 minutes to come up to oven temp. Cooking in the oven before then, even if the oven itself says that it is preheated, is going to result in some very wonky natural convection around the inside as the steel sucks up heat, the element kicks on constantly, and the hot air convects.
I can't wait! Right now with my pizza stone I'm normally about 9-10 minutes per pizza, I expect to shave off a couple of minutes when I get my steel as I plan to use the stone up on the top rack with the steel in the middle and bump the temp from 450-500F to 500-550F. I don't have an IR thermometer but I usually preheat my stone anywhere between 30-60 minutes anyways. Next pizza purchase is a steel pizza peel, I currently have a wood one which is decent but occasionally it doesn't slide off it well since it's wood & thick and the toppings go flying off in the oven.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at a pizza peel that has a conveyor thingie on it. Anyone ever used one of those?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm looking at a pizza peel that has a conveyor thingie on it. Anyone ever used one of those?

Superpeel? I've had one for a few years and I like it, but deep down I know I should be able to use a normal peel.

But I have only hosed up one pizza in at least 100 using it so I consider it successful at stopping me from loving up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

Superpeel? I've had one for a few years and I like it, but deep down I know I should be able to use a normal peel.

But I have only hosed up one pizza in at least 100 using it so I consider it successful at stopping me from loving up.

I'm tired of sending pieces of sausage flying off the back of my steel only to catch fire at the bottom of my oven. I'll cheat if I can prevent that.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have one and love it.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Getting the hang of this dough recipe. These two basically fell into the form of a pizza with very little coaxing, although I probably need to find a way to improve the flat:cornicione ratio when I'm shaping them.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Re Steel thickness, I think 3/8" is as thick as you want to go. I made a 1/2" grooved griddle style one thinking bigger has got to be better. After using it for a year I can definitively say it's too heavy and takes too long to preheat. I think 3/8" would perform just as well 95% of the time and will probably clock in under 30lbs, making it easier to take in and out of the oven or out to the grill.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I was considering investing in a baking steel. I was probably going to just go with the original but then this bad boy caught my eye. https://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-S...ds=Baking+steel

I understand due to the thinner size it'll hold less thermal energy and will cool quicker and have to be reheated. But if I'm only doing one to three pies, is there really that big a tradeoff? I like the idea of it being easier to move when necessary. Thoughts?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

Got my pizza steel and plan to use it this weekend, do I need to put flour or anything on the pizza steel before throwing the pizza on top of it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

whatupdet posted:

Got my pizza steel and plan to use it this weekend, do I need to put flour or anything on the pizza steel before throwing the pizza on top of it?

Nope. Once the crust is cooked it will release just fine.

That is assuming the steel is already seasoned. If not, warm it in a low oven then rub it down with crisco, wiping off as much as you can before returning it to the oven and cranking the heat.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I got it from Baking Steel which indicates it's pre-seasoned, thanks.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Just bought my baking steel too! Getting ready to try a pizza in it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Getting less lovely at this every time!

Brought to you by your local piece of tank armor:

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
don't you find mild steels impart a metallic(rust) flavor on food?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Minge Binge posted:

don't you find mild steels impart a metallic(rust) flavor on food?

Not at all, thats actually an old picture before i cleaned up the metal and seasoned it. I did a 48 hour soak in vinegar to remove the scale then oiled and blasted as hot as my oven would go for about 2 hours. Its super smooth and nonstick now and has been awesome for pizza.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's a nice pizza

My pizzas still look like retarded amoebas

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

cr0y posted:

Not at all, thats actually an old picture before i cleaned up the metal and seasoned it. I did a 48 hour soak in vinegar to remove the scale then oiled and blasted as hot as my oven would go for about 2 hours. Its super smooth and nonstick now and has been awesome for pizza.

This is exactly my experience as well. I bought about a 10kg iron plate from a livestock supplier, sanded the poo poo out of it with an angle grinder, washed it, rubbed it all over with oil and baked it for a while. Works great now, and at ~30 Euro it cost me about a quarter of the price of branded pizza steels.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

we need more pan pizza love

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

we need more pan pizza love

drat that looks nice. I wanted to try my hand at detroit style but for some reason square pans are super expensive? :confused:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not too bad: http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/rectangular-pans-lids.html

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Perfect weather to make some pizzas!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
What's your sauce recipe, just curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

What's your sauce recipe, just curious

1 can of San Marzano tomatoes (Carmelina brand, recommended by another goon here)
8g salt
6-8 basil leaves

Stick blender till just smooth. Good to use right away, or refrigerate overnight and use the next day!