Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Not to mention, this isn't the first time this has been done. They cloned Ada in RE6 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The problem is that he looks nothing like Chris, kind of looks like HUNK unmasked who you see in RE 3's epilogue files, actually wears a gas mask initially too, Resident Evil Revelations original plot was going to have HUNK impersonate Chris which is why the original trailer for that game has Chris and Jill point their guns at each other and RE 7 has the same director as Revelations, Chris still has his old visual design in the upcoming CGI movie and the DLC is titled "Not A Hero" which stars him as the protagonist. I really don't think it's Chris.

Has Hunk ever actually made a canonical story appearance in any of the games? I mean as part of a main games plot not an unlockable bonus mission. This would be the first I think

Mr President fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 8, 2017

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Not to mention, this isn't the first time this has been done. They cloned Ada in RE6 too.

Yup.

Mr President posted:

Has Hunk ever actually made a canonical story appearance in any of the games? I mean as part of a main games plot not an unlockable bonus mission. This would be the first I think

His 4th Survivor bonus mission in RE 2 is canon, because he has an epilogue file in RE 3 and he has a note you can find in Code Veronica written by him called HUNK's Report. Otherwise, his appearances have mostly been in non-canon Mercenaries modes or Raid modes.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

blackguy32 posted:

she wasn't a clone, and she looked exactly the same

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It can't be HUNK, since the rest of his squad wasn't horribly murdered at any point in RE7.

Although the DLC may change that

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So how are the revelations games on the whole? Are there actual revelations here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShineDog posted:

So how are the revelations games on the whole? Are there actual revelations here?

They are okay. They're kind of a midpoint between RE-classic and RE4 style gameplay though they trend a little towards the latter. The second has a heavy co-op focus but no online play which drags it down a little.

There are no real revelations plot-wise though Alex Wesker is resolved in Rev2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ShineDog posted:

There are revelations about the Revelation games in the Revelation games. They don't really have much to do with anything but themselves except for the characters appearing in them and in-jokes. Revelations 2 has some pretty good-bad in-jokes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Barry has a daughter who shot somebody and ends up on a weird Jigsaw island, also one of the Weskers is a sexy lady

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

It can't be HUNK, since the rest of his squad wasn't horribly murdered at any point in RE7.

Although the DLC may change that

That's how RE 7 should have really ended.

*Final boss dies. Every one is dead. Ethan picks himself off the ground as the helicopter lands and the soldiers get out.*

Soldier: "Is the outbreak contained?"

Ethan: "Yeah..."

Soldier: "Are there any other survivors?"

Ethan. "None."

Soldier.: "I see." *reaches into his side bag as though he's going to pull out a gun, but instead pulls out a gas mask*

Soldier: "Once again, only you survived, Mr. Death. Good job." *hands gas mask to Ethan, who puts in on.*

Ethan. "The Death cannot die..." *camera pans away to show his masked face getting on the helicopter with the Umbrella logo decal on the door*

*sweet guitar rift - End credits*

And as a super secret bonus ending for collecting all the coins and bobble heads:

The helicopter start to fly away only to reveal Leon behind the control, followed by the helicopter instantly catching on fire and plumeting to the ground. End credits.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ShineDog posted:

Cannot speak to Revelations 1, but 2 is awesome and makes pretty good use of the imbalanced co-op formula.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

Barry has a daughter who shot somebody and ends up on a weird Jigsaw island, also one of the Weskers is a sexy lady

There are zero Revelations about the characters that matter, such as Mike the pilot and Ramon Salazar.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mike the pilot died the way he lived- piloting. And not shooting things enough on Professional mode.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
OK, revelations sound like they are worth playing.

I'm hoping for goofy as gently caress though. Resi is a lot like MGS to me, where the kind of escalating weirdness and excess is part of the charm. Resi 6 wasn't really where it went to far to me, it was just kind of the logical endpoint for the whole thing. In resident evil 4 I was chased by a giant stone robot dwarf. In resident evil 6 I'm having an infinite underground minecraft chase. It's a hell of a thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I forgot Revelations 2 even existed. I wonder how well it sold.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Revelations 2 was neither amazing nor awful. It's pretty stock RE action, but fun enough for what it is. Most importantly, it has Barry Dad Jokes.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If I was Capcom, I wouldn't bother with a Revelations 3 and instead just release a fully fleshed out Mercenaries/Raid mode game and make it free to play with paid cosmetics and stuff. Basically how Let It Die did it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ShineDog posted:

OK, revelations sound like they are worth playing.

I'm hoping for goofy as gently caress though. Resi is a lot like MGS to me, where the kind of escalating weirdness and excess is part of the charm. Resi 6 wasn't really where it went to far to me, it was just kind of the logical endpoint for the whole thing. In resident evil 4 I was chased by a giant stone robot dwarf. In resident evil 6 I'm having an infinite underground minecraft chase. It's a hell of a thing.

They aren't goofy in the same sense as Resident Evil 4's castle and Rev1 actually takes itself somewhat seriously outside of 2 characters and some eyebrow raising character design. Rev2 strikes the same tone as Rev1, removes the weird character designs, but manages to have a lot more fun with its characters.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Backhand posted:

Revelations 2 was neither amazing nor awful. It's pretty stock RE action, but fun enough for what it is. Most importantly, it has Barry Dad Jokes.

Is it worth $19? Resi7 put me in the mood to play everything I skipped that's in the Playstation Store, which includes Revelations 2, Resident Evil 0 and REmake.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rev2 loving owns. It's one of my favorites in the series. Rev1 is okay, but has a much better Raid mode if you're looking for reputability.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SeANMcBAY posted:

I forgot Revelations 2 even existed. I wonder how well it sold.

The best sales data I can find for it says 900,000 sales on Steam, and Capcom shipped two million physical discs. It was a solid success.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Crowetron posted:

Rev2 loving owns. It's one of my favorites in the series.

Seconding this hardcore.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Crowetron posted:

Rev2 loving owns. It's one of my favorites in the series.

Finally, a good opinion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Revelations 2 has a character who tells a boss "Go jump on a dildo" before she shoots him, ergo it is a good video game that you absolutely should play.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
At this point, at least the T-Virus (plus several of its offshoots like T-Veronica and G), Las Plagas, and Uroboros are all on the black market, right? And several others I'm forgetting, probably. RE-verse Earth is just teetering on the edge of global apocalypse at literally all times, since any one of those getting out could destroy a small country at the very least.

What are the odds we're eventually going to have an RE game where someone with just enough screws loose releases them all, and we have to fight our way through hoards of Zombies, Ganados/Majini, and black tentacle things?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much, yeah. When Umbrella collapsed a ton of companies and organizations jumped in to nick their research and BOWs, which meant that they were suddenly all over the place rather than "just" at the scene of outbreaks.

I'd love a situation that showed the BOWs working properly, as their intended military use. ORC of all things came closest to this during the DLC campaign where USS Delta squads were acting as support for the Nemesis.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think rev1 showed an effective use of them. drop 80 billion hunters on a small island, small island goes away.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Clearly we need a game staring the Diamond Dogs as a mercenary unit hired to deal with various groups using BOWs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Leon Cross posted:

Clearly we need a game staring the Diamond Dogs as a mercenary unit hired to deal with various groups using BOWs.
Well they're already in an upcoming game fighting zombies so...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

punished "venom" Jake

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The Muscle - "I'm just a realist, it's a capitalist society. Not everyone's cut out for that kind of constant pressure. Sure, there are opportunities to be had, but at what price? You gain, someone else loses."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Playing re6 and honestly it's not so bad if you take breaks between chapters. Still a messy game and the no feedback when you shoot enemies sucks but it's still enjoyable with a friend.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Muscle - "I'm just a realist, it's a capitalist society. Not everyone's cut out for that kind of constant pressure. Sure, there are opportunities to be had, but at what price? You gain, someone else loses."
It was years before I even knew that was in RE5.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

DanielCross posted:

At this point, at least the T-Virus (plus several of its offshoots like T-Veronica and G), Las Plagas, and Uroboros are all on the black market, right? And several others I'm forgetting, probably. RE-verse Earth is just teetering on the edge of global apocalypse at literally all times, since any one of those getting out could destroy a small country at the very least.

The T-Virus and G-Virus are on the black market, along with various permutations thereof. Nobody really seems to use the G-Virus, since it's absolutely uncontrollable.

Plagas could be on the black market and it wouldn't surprise anyone, but it'd be Wesker's type II version. Uroboros might be available somewhere, since it's in Revelations 2, but even there, all the experiments manage to do is kill everyone in the lab. You can also buy Tyrants, Lickers, and Hunters as battlefield weapons, as seen in Damnation.

The big plot hook that I don't think Capcom even realizes is on the table is the "Endor Holocaust" theory of Resident Evil: as of right now, there's been a major T- or C-Virus outbreak in one game or another on six out of the seven continents. The viruses in question are notable for being able to jump species barriers, and all of them were in or near major metropolitan or forested areas. The Raccoon Forest in particular was heavily infested by the T-Virus before RE2 even started, and in Darkside Chronicles, Javier lets a bunch of T-Veronica out to play in the South American jungle. Basically, on RE Earth, either they've got a lot of people working behind the scenes on this or the biosphere is gently, permanently hosed.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's one thing that bugged me about Sewer Gators, if I lived in the RE universe after all the poo poo that's happened there is no way I'd leave the house.

If I did I'd be heavily armed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, it's hard to imagine "paranormal investigators' whose first thought isn't "what the gently caress lovely Umbrella bullshit has infested this shithole today?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's why I liked the beginning of RE5. There's no "What the?? Zombies??? HERE???" because Chris and Sheva already know drat well there's gonna be zombies. Come on now. They see the first zombie dude and they're like

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

One of the things the series has consistently been bad at conveying is that not a lot of people outside the protagonists, the antagonists, and their inner circles actually know a lot about what's going on with bioweapons. There's also a literal conspiracy that would be trying to keep a lid on things, and that conspiracy didn't die with Simmons.

It also doesn't help that the Bakers' house doesn't have any explicit links to the corporate BOW circuit whatsoever, or that to listen to Pete bitch in the first video tape, this is the Gators' eighteenth episode and they haven't found anything worth talking about. It's effectively a show about urban exploration.

That'd be a funny flashback for DLC or something: Pete walks into his very first creepy abandoned mansion as part of the first episode of "Sewer Gators" and he looks like a reporter doing a live broadcast from a war zone. Over the course of the subsequent episodes, he slowly ditches more and more of the kit until he's just wearing a cheap suit as he walks into the Bakers' place, and that's the one that gets him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it's hard to imagine "paranormal investigators' whose first thought isn't "what the gently caress lovely Umbrella bullshit has infested this shithole today?"
Well I mean, we know Pete doesn't prep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I thought at very least the public was aware of Umbrella's stuff due to the whole Nuking Of An American City + suspension of business thing. Obviously Wesker's bullshit is all on the sidelines and I doubt the President ever advertised his daughter was kidnapped by monsters but Raccoon and Terragrigia were both pretty big deals I thought. (Sheena Island I guess to a lesser extent since nobody ever mentions it despite it being called the Second Raccoon City in RE0.)