Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

Agreeing with all of this post right here.

Yeah, he did a better job of explaining than I did. You should just point to that post and what Patton Oswalt said about his negative take on the show (to paraphrase, "I've been in enough writer's room to know when people wanted to just get the hell out of there")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nicolas Winding Refn and Ed Brubaker are working together on a crime series for Amazon. Its going to be called Too Old to Die and will be about gangsters in LA. No word yet on the time period of the setting although Bru has shown particular fondness for period pieces.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
mmmmmmfffffff that sounds so good i wish you hadn't mentioned it cause i want it right now

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was a pretty drat massive Lost fan, but the show really lost me in the last season. I think I started playing WoW again and was trying to watch Lost on my second monitor at the same time. Most of the season went completely over my head and I knew I wasn't enjoying it that much so never had the willingness to go back and watch it proper. I'm still not entirely sure what happened

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Nicolas Winding Refn and Ed Brubaker are working together on a crime series for Amazon. Its going to be called Too Old to Die and will be about gangsters in LA. No word yet on the time period of the setting although Bru has shown particular fondness for period pieces.

Brubaker loves him some noir crime stories, so this should be really good... in like 3 years because its Amazon and they take forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also it went straight to series so we won't even get that first episode for Pilot season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Lost had aired during the modern TV climate I probably wouldn't have been bothered by it. I would have lost interest around Season 5-6 and just binged it on Netflix when it was over. Lost fell into that perfect moment in TV viewing where there were DVRs and On Demand and Hulu so it was easier to keep up with a weekly series than it ever was but before "binging" really became so common so its much easier to just consume a show all at once if it isn't gripping you each week.

Plus Lost was really the first of the modern wave of Westworld type shows that push mystery and twists hard as the big sell. So they made a lot of the mistakes a lot of shows do but worse because they didn't have many other shows to learn from.

I'm a lot more sympathetic to Lost now that I've had time to step back and lost my emotional attachment to the characters and disappointment with the story. I still think it was a mess but I recognize its unique kind of placement in the changing of Television storytelling and consumption.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travelers being renewed is amazing news. Everyone go watch Travelers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

This. Do this. Do it now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

I'll do it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Canadian sci-fi? How could I miss out on that??

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The showrunner is Brad Wright, who was co-creater of SG1.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

gently caress you for telling me about this long before I can actually see it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am so glad Netflix greenlit Dear White People, now I get to watch a rerun of when racists lost their minds about the movie in 2014.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is that going to be a series or are you just talking about the movie being shown?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah sorry, shoulda specified.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/entertainment/netflix-dear-white-people-first-look/index.html

E: Lmao those dislikes. Doesn't take much, does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 9, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Lurdiak posted:

E: Lmao those dislikes. Doesn't take much, does it.

Because I'm insane I looked at the comments section and, behold, a tiny spark of hope.

"cant wait to destroy this tomorrow"

"by 'destroy' you mean making a video of you crying in your mom's house?"

I mean the rest of it is a trash fire, that should go without saying, but hey.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
LOST Season 6 made the mistake of cramming most of the final answers about the island's nature and the history of MIB & Jacob into one episode. All of that stuff in Across the Sea should've been interspersed throughout the entire season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first season of Lost has some amazing and touching stuff. The episode where Jack begs the woman at the airline counter to let him take his father's body home was crushing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think the pilot is one of the best I've seen and the first season is some of the best character stuff I've seen. That's what made it so hard to abandon the show once it became a narrative mess since you were so emotionally invested in Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I still think the pilot is one of the best I've seen and the first season is some of the best character stuff I've seen. That's what made it so hard to abandon the show once it became a narrative mess since you were so emotionally invested in Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, etc.

Right at the end of season one there's that scene between Jack and Sawyer where Sawyer helps Jack with his resentment towards his dad and oh god i'm crying just thinking about it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Relax dude. Watch some Travelers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or how about the scene where Desmond gets to talk to Penny over the phone? They really knew how to work us over emotionally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Even in the later seasons there's a lot of memorably emotional scenes. "Not Penny's Boat" and Sawyer/Juliet and Jin/Sun. It was a really talented cast that played very rich characters with a ton of backstory and motivation.

It just made no drat sense and spent way too much time pretending that it would all come together if we were just patient.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Or how about the scene where Desmond gets to talk to Penny over the phone? They really knew how to work us over emotionally.

I loved The Constant :smith:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

X-O posted:

Canadians do time travel shows really well (see also Continuum).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

lelandjs posted:

I dislike most multicam shows with laugh tracks because it makes me feel awkward when I hear people laughing but I'm not laughing myself (looking at you, Big Bang Theory). Laugh tracks aren't always bad, though (IT Crowd, HIMYM).

Lost's finale has never felt overly manipulative to me, personally, because whenever I rewatch the show by the time the finale comes around I'm completely involved with the characters and their problems again. The fact that the show allows--heck, encourages--a full release of grief upon the ending isn't actually a bad thing.

But yeah, if you don't care as deeply about the characters, and instead cared more about the mysteries and conspiracies, then yeah, I guess the finale will ring emotionally false for you because you weren't given the release you wanted.

That's why I said that the finale works for roughly half of Lost viewers earlier. The half that cared about the characters got an ending they wanted, while the people who wanted grand, sweeping explanations out of the show were left wanting.

I would argue that, taken as a whole, Lost posits that the grander events in our lives don't matter--what really matters is who you are and treat those around you--and that's why they chose the ending they went with. That said this post has gone on too long already and also I'm sure X-O is looking for an excuse to ban Lost finale chat from the thread again so I should probably shut up.

Yeah, I got into the show between the airing of the fourth season and the airing of the fifth, and watched the first four seasons over the course of two months. That was probably the best way to go about it, because it goes really well when you watch three or four episodes at a time. Plus I wasn't in the speculation community. That crew poisoned LOST for themselves, and unfortunately the creators did encourage that kind of thinking. But they didn't know any better.

I watched season five and six live, and it was a hell of a ride. Season 5 is, to me, LOST's best season by a wide margin. Season 6 meanders. I would religiously read Jeff Jensen's reviews for Entertainment Weekly, because his interest was in the philosophy of LOST. One review spent most of its time comparing LOST's story to a Salman Rushdie novel. In the review of the episode where Jacob is shown reading a Flannery O'Connor novel, Jensen went in depth on how the themes of Flannery O'Connor appear in LOST. it was LOST annotated, and it enhanced the experience so much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost speculation certainly did hurt the show for those viewers but its not fair to blame them. The show and its creators didn't just encourage it, they openly and aggressively pushed that poo poo. They'd put the magic numbers in other media and hide secret messages in stuff and every episode ended with a cliffhanger while every season ended with a podcast where they hyped up the exciting mysteries. "Mysteries" weren't just a part of the narrative or a little wrinkle. It certainly wasn't like when people come up with insane theories about a pretty straightforward narrative like Breaking Bad. Lost's entire narrative construct was built on a pyramid of mysteries and secrets.

Now, its totally cool if you were able to separate the character stuff from the narrative and just appreciate that fully for the good it was. Clearly roughly half the audience was able to do that. But its not the other half of the audience's fault that they cared about the show's story. At most its their fault for not making peace with things once it became completely clear that the story was a patched together mess and would never pay off satisfactorily (and again, I fully admit I was one of these people). Because that happened way before the finale.

We shouldn't give them a pass for "not knowing better." I'm willing to give them a few breaks for timing and not having a lot of contemporaries to learn from. But they actively created the mess that they ultimately get hated for not being able to clean up effectively. And they spent years gleefuly stoking the flames.

:lost:

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 9, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

quote:

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Nathan Fillion is set to appear on an episode of Fox’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The episode will revolve around a murder happening on the set of a TV show called Serve & Protect, with Fillion’s character offering to help Andy Samberg and Stephanie Beatriz solve the case by drawing on his years of experience as an actor who pretends to solve crimes

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I suppose that's fair, but at the time it was hard for me to have a lot of sympathy for the people absolutely melting down, screaming about LOST now being the worst show ever, etc.

I think the LOST experience definitely made me more skeptical of deeper engagement with fan communities of shows I like. The obsessive LOST posters went berserk, while the normal fans on non-LOST forums were split, but the intellectuals loving loved the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

And again, I'll give Lost a little bit of a pass for bad timing because it was also really in that perfect internet timing where the theories and images and conspiracy stuff were so easy to find and spread. But Lost embraced and enabled it and made it a key part of the show's marketing and narrative structure. So there's a lot of people who probably would have been fine before Lost dragged that niche obsession into the mainstream. And its never really gone away since.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, Spike is changing its name to The Paramount Network. Reminder that before that it was Spike TV and before that it was The National Network and before that The Nashville Network.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Hopefully Brubaker can surgically remove Refn's head out of his rear end so we get Good Refn instead of whatever the gently caress The Neon Demon was.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

whowhatwhere posted:

Hopefully Brubaker can surgically remove Refn's head out of his rear end so we get Good Refn instead of whatever the gently caress The Neon Demon was.

I love how people whose only exposure to Refn was Drive got really mad when they saw Only God Forgives and Neon Demon and realized that he made art films that just happened to have amazing action instead of action films with artsy set dressing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lol, Spike is changing its name to The Paramount Network. Reminder that before that it was Spike TV and before that it was The National Network and before that The Nashville Network.

I didn't even know Spike was still a thing, what do they even air?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lip Sync Battle and Bar Rescue.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

STAC Goat posted:

Its totally fair to hate the legacy of Lost fandom and all the toxic fandoms that have come out of it. I'm right there with you. I Xed the Good Place thread because I felt it getting the Lost treatment.

I've learned in general that if you enjoy a show just stay away from internet content about it.

Speaking of Lost, I just started rewatching it with my family that has never seen it and the first season is really good.

Watched APB and was hoping for dumb adventure show but the casting is terrible and I don't think I can watch it. I keep thinking the deputy from Under the Dome moved to Detroit or wherever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thus plunging themselves even further into obscurity, just like Freeform (formerly ABC Family)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The only thing good on Spike was all the TNG reruns.

• Locked thread