Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

AJ_Impy posted:

"The murderer is not going to get away unless we scatter humanity across the planet to give them that opportunity. Get everyone down together according to plan and we can keep everyone corralled until this one killer is found without risking our species."

Yeah, the captain's being weirdly aggressive with people giving their educated opinions. Especially since they were selected as some of the most well educated opinions of the human race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Yeah, the captain's being weirdly aggressive with people giving their educated opinions. Especially since they were selected as some of the most well educated opinions of the human race.

Yup. Methinks the lady protesteth too much.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
The Captain wouldn't have wanted this sir, he once told me "Better that many bad men survive then that a few good souls should slowly wither and decay in a disastrously small gene pool." We should wake up enough people to keep watch over the other colonization pods and other vulnerable areas of the ship while we investigate and safely get to our new home. Your plan is needlessly reckless and endangers the mission which is keeping humanity alive.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mutiny on the Herald!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hexenritter posted:

Mutiny on the Herald!

If he keeps being irrational I'm down with quietly asking around to see if anyone else thinks he's not acting right, and maybe it'd be better if he stepped back out of an airlock.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How are the colonist storage areas arranged? Does thus seem targeted, random, what's the deets on who got offed?

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Yes. Was a particular group targeted? Splitting the group(remnants of humanity) seems a bad idea too. This guy sucks lets airlock him.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

:siren: Adding a vote here :siren:

AJ_Impy posted:

"The murderer is not going to get away unless we scatter humanity across the planet to give them that opportunity. Get everyone down together according to plan and we can keep everyone corralled until this one killer is found without risking our species."

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

The Captain wouldn't have wanted this sir, he once told me "Better that many bad men survive then that a few good souls should slowly wither and decay in a disastrously small gene pool." We should wake up enough people to keep watch over the other colonization pods and other vulnerable areas of the ship while we investigate and safely get to our new home. Your plan is needlessly reckless and endangers the mission which is keeping humanity alive.

"The killer has snuck past the watchful eyes of the crew not once, but several times already. Once the passengers are awake he will at least not be able to kill them thousands at a time. There are risks either way. There's no telling what Hardrock would have done in this situation, because he's dead. I wish to God he wasn't and we could trust him to find the killer. He's not here though. I am. I am the captain. You'll have to trust me to do what's best. I'm all you've got. I'll not tolerate any more of your back talk, Lieutenant Commander." He stresses your rank, emphasing that his is higher. "One more word on this topic and I'll have you removed."

2) Do you follow orders?
A. Nope, I keep arguing with my superior officer
B. Sort-of. I storm out of the conference room.
C. Yes, I do not continue arguing about the flight plan

JamezBfod posted:

Yes. Was a particular group targeted? Splitting the group(remnants of humanity) seems a bad idea too. This guy sucks lets airlock him.
Oldcastle didn't say. You can go over passenger manifest and read through the histories of the 10,000 dead people during the next update if you get a chance.

Blasphemaster posted:

How are the colonist storage areas arranged? Does thus seem targeted, random, what's the deets on who got offed?
Everyone was going to the same place. It was pretty much first come first served in terms of cold sleep pod assignments.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 9, 2017

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
LLSix,

Are there any protocols for removing a higher up who is ordering irrational, dangerous things?

Any man who has to say "I am the Captain" is no true captain.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

LLSix,

Are there any protocols for removing a higher up who is ordering irrational, dangerous things?

Any man who has to say "I am the Captain" is no true captain.

The medical officer can declare the captain mentally unfit for command. The senior medical officer is Doctor Moreau and he is currently enthusiastically supporting Oldcastle.

As far as ordering dangerous things goes, you're a military officer. Your superiors are supposed to order you to do dangerous things.

In theory you are required to disobey illegal orders, but if the next order is legal you're still supposed to obey it. You know of a couple of times where someone was exonerated for disobeying orders on those grounds, but the commanding officer is never punished in practice. There's definitely no legal basis for mutiny. If you do mutiny, anyone who follows you is going to be the sort of person who is willing to disobey orders which will make getting them to do what you want twice as hard. That's one of the reasons mutinies aren't usually successful in the long run.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LLSix posted:

The medical officer can declare the captain mentally unfit for command. The senior medical officer is Doctor Moreau and he is currently enthusiastically supporting Oldcastle.

As far as ordering dangerous things goes, you're a military officer. Your superiors are supposed to order you to do dangerous things.

In theory you are required to disobey illegal orders, but if the next order is legal you're still supposed to obey it. You know of a couple of times where someone was exonerated for disobeying orders on those grounds, but the commanding officer is never punished in practice. There's definitely no legal basis for mutiny. If you do mutiny, anyone who follows you is going to be the sort of person who is willing to disobey orders which will make getting them to do what you want twice as hard. That's one of the reasons mutinies aren't usually successful in the long run.

Dangerous for us is one thing, Dangerous to the future of humanity is another.

Voting B

We don't know who would support us in a mutiny at this point, and getting thrown in the brig at this point would remove many of our options.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
C

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We're next in line for command. If he keeps seeming like an irrational moron and we seem like a level headed rational person someone may make the decision to do a favour for us. In that case we just need to make sure we have an alibi when it happens.

The captains plan to scatter humanity across the planet sounds odd. What are the chances half of the drop ships malfunction in orbit. Could be he's trying to install his own kingdom style bullshit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well his picture IS Kane, soooo....

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

Well his picture IS Kane, soooo....

I was thinking he looked kinda sketchy but yeah. We gotta space this guy and the doctor, and... Jesus did Earth command conduct any psych profiling or was this all an elaborate plot to rid earth of the undesirables? What does this say about us. Gawd.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D

Give someone we trust the task of shivving and spacing this guy. We gotta get to the drat planet and we can't do that by throwing off all the navigational math with this stupid, stupid plan. Off the Cap, proceed with plan to wake up enough dudes to guard the sleepies. Anyone acting suspicious around crucial personnel/equipment till we get planetside gets locked up and/or spaced.

gently caress procedure, gently caress ethics, lets make sure we get where we're going and launch some people grenades at it. CAPTAIN CAPTAIN can eat a space bullet for all I care.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Outrail posted:

The captains plan to scatter humanity across the planet sounds odd.

That is not his plan. It's a worst case contingency. He thinks he'll be able to find the murderer and be able to ramp up deceleration in time to make the landings as planned. Anders thinks that's unlikely, but not impossible.

Outrail posted:

I was thinking he looked kinda sketchy but yeah. We gotta space this guy and the doctor, and... Jesus did Earth command conduct any psych profiling or was this all an elaborate plot to rid earth of the undesirables? What does this say about us. Gawd.
Looking over the department head profiles before leaving Earth you did get the impression that they were the top people in their respective fields, but not necessarily team players. On the other hand, Captain Hardrock never had any trouble keeping everyone pointed in the right direction.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Everyone hold someone else at knifepoint until all is said and done. It's the only way! :ese:

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Outrail posted:

What does this say about us. Gawd.

Between Goon hive mind and the prevalence of robosexual avatars we probably are not so great either.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Eh. Amusing character quirks aside, goon Protagonists are psychotic powergamers at heart. The only reasons Enkidel isn't a Tyrant but OhOne absolutely is, are due to setting restrictions/allowances, really. We pick the most apparently efficient route to power and things snowball from thete.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

JamezBfod posted:

Between Goon hive mind and the prevalence of robosexual avatars we probably are not so great either.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it sounds as if you're suggesting a robosexual avatar is something other than a sign of a rational and level headed voter.

Let's install an AI onto the ship's mainframe and gently caress it.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
C We have already established our self as foil, when technically we should be confirming his orders and carrying them out as second-in-command. Perhaps a private apology near an airlock is in order later.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. Different tack.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C Don't want to be too decisive right now if we're second in command.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

So I guess we're playing through the SMAC intro now?
C

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

C

We need to show the other senior officers that we aren't willing to roll over, if we have them, we won't need Moreau to get rid of Oldcastle.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
B, because in the military you don't outright defy your senior officer in public. We do disagree with him though, and this isn't the end of this.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

You decide not to continue pressing your argument. There are only a few other comments and Oldcastle quickly wraps up the meeting. Afterwards, Anders catches up to you and asks for a minute.

"Thank you for having my back. I appreciate it. Don't worry, I'll make it work." While he's walking away you think you hear him mutter "Somehow."

Days pass into weeks. All of the colonists have been fingerprinted and none was identified as the killer. CommanderCaptain Ernest Oldcastle is increasingly withdrawn and suspicious of everyone. The military police travel the hallways in groups of 3, tasers openly visible on their hips. People are ordered to report for questioning, seemingly at random. You have been questioned twice. The questions were hostile and probing. The interrogators were aggressively adversarial.

After the second interrogation CommanderCaptain Ernest Oldcastle dismisses everyone else from the room and asks you, one-on-one, where the Hardrock's weapon cache is. "We cannot risk leaving it unguarded where the killer might stumble upon it."
1) What do you tell him?
A. I pretend I don't know what he is talking about.
B. I tell him I was ordered not to tell anyone where they were. A true statement, but one he is likely to take badly.
C. I tell him I was ordered not to tell anyone, and especially not him, where they were. A true statement, but one he is likely to take even worse than B.
D. I tell him where they are

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

e. I ask him where his weapons cache is, you know, in case anything happens to him.
write in

When you look through the dead colonist dossiers, one springs out at you. One of the dead colonists had been elected as the future president of the new colony. Guess they'll need to hold elections again. Without their intended leader and woken early, the colonists mostly turn to Herald's officers for guidance. Chaplain Freya Silvstedt, Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev, Botanist Jennifer Skye, Doctor Drake Moreau and quartermaster Jane Bean have all distinguished themselves in this regard. Oldcastle has started inviting one of the passengers who has been especially helpful, one Nweismuller Meyerson to weekly meetings.

Navigator Dana Anders has been spending 16 hours a day on the bridge; working on flight plan after flight plan. The captain recently let him step up the deceleration to 1.4g, but the ever-present worry lines on his face have not eased.

2) What do you focus your time during this period
G. I pore over the colonist dossiers, hoping to find more clues as to the killer or the killer's intentions. Even though Oldcastle took me off the investigation.
H. I spend time with the colonists, tending to their needs.
I. I work to keep crew morale up and discourage dissent.
J. I work to reduce crew morale and encourage dissent in a bid to stir up a mutiny/hope someone spaces Oldcastle.
K. I study images of our future home, looking for potential landing sites and learning geographic features.
write in

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 9, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Can we only vote for one option on question two? It's time to go Maximum Zarek:

AJ

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Can we only vote for one option on question two?
Yes.

You are doing a little bit of everything except probably only one of I or J. This is to determine what you focus on. Keep in mind that you're working two 4 hour shifts a day in addition to these other activities.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
e. I ask him where his weapons cache is, you know, in case anything happens to him.

H

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
F: "I grow increasingly concerned at the actions you are taking. End the patrols, stop intimidating the last humans alive, stop turning this hunt for one human into an attempt to form a dictatorship over all the rest, and that item is on the table for discussion."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
E Let me show you :commissar:
H Branch out. Can't fall behind in the colonist political game.

His command is extremely conditional. As the last remaining humans, there is no place outside the ship from which he can draw his authority. He's Captain only by the assent of the crew and passengers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
"Chaplain Freya Silvstedt, Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev, Botanist Jennifer Skye, Doctor Drake Moreau and quartermaster Jane Bean have all distinguished themselves in this regard. Oldcastle has started inviting one of the passengers who has been especially helpful, one Nweismuller Meyerson to weekly meetings."

Even more UNS Unity than I'd thought!

1C
2I

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

so unless we somehow keep this mess together it's going to look like this?
Chaplain Freya Silvstedt - Believers
Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev - Drones?
Botanist Jennifer Skye - Gaia
Doctor Drake Moreau - University
Quartermaster Jane Bean - Hive?
Oldcastle - Spartans
Nweismuller Meyerson - Morganites

That would leave us able to either shack up with any of these groups or pick up the UN for ourselves

E
H

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AH

Speak softly and carry a hidden arms locker.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
The arms cache is in the airlock.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
AH

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wd should find a group of rational non-idiots and ask them to form a body guard for us. With the prior captain, the future president and so many military police dead it's pretty obvious we're the next target of things go south for him.

Buuuuut. This is a ship. It relies on so much technology, all it would take is a glitch for the captain and half his loyal supporters to be fried alive or exposed to the void of space as a valve goes wrong. Just saying. Befriend the engineers/masters behind the electronic curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Wd should find a group of rational non-idiots and ask them to form a body guard for us. With the prior captain, the future president and so many military police dead it's pretty obvious we're the next target of things go south for him.

Buuuuut. This is a ship. It relies on so much technology, all it would take is a glitch for the captain and half his loyal supporters to be fried alive or exposed to the void of space as a valve goes wrong. Just saying. Befriend the engineers/masters behind the electronic curtain.

Thisx1000

• Locked thread