Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope that Mario's stunlock abilities are a nod to how it's so easy to stunlock certain bosses in the Mega Man X series. It's still bad boss design, but I'd have a modicum of respect for it if that were the rationale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Mak0rz posted:

That level was kind of neat in way. I liked how everything got darker at one point, showing that you're diving deeper into the ocean. The underground castle idea is pretty cool.

Those shrimp creatures seem like a huge pain, though. Especially that spawner you were fighting.

The shrimp are like the least of your worries in this hack. Just wait until you see what they did to Sniper Joe.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This cx guy seems lame, can we be quick man instead

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This cx guy seems lame, can we be quick man instead

We won't get to be Quick Man permanently until Mega Man CX-4. (Or CX-2, in this case, given what the opening riffed on? Man, I dunno.)

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
SMRPG Hack - Reserve_22 (2/2)

Here it is, we face a 'unique' boss and see the end of a pretty good hack considering the problems most SMRPG have. Yeah there were a bunch of fights, but they are all fair fights. Sure it is short, but that doesn't count against it because to much of this would overstay its welcome.
Don't think is the last of the SMRPG hacks got another that will be coming soon.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Here we see a level with a cool concept that just isn't particularly fun to play and requires either weird knowledge of the game's engine or accidental discovery.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yo, got that link to the sloppy joe mac and cheese hamburger?

Listening to this video is making me hungry.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
That Hogwarts level looked so loving awful. I didn't get nearly that far in my attempts at it, and from the look of things I'm glad I didn't. It was way too long with too few powerups and looked like it required you to be on your toes constantly.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Burger in question:

As I said in the video, I would *try* it. No guarantees on finishing, but I would try it.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's Play Link to the Past Randomized with CirclMastr and Combat Lobster
Episode 5

The quest for the lamp continues. Seemingly forever.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That was Red's battle theme, originally from Gold and Silver

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Today we delve into Vegetable Valley for some good old family friendly incineration

ROCKMAN CX #3: A Literal Tree
(Heavy Sigh, Shinryu, Simply Simon and SnoruntPyro)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like that the Grinder forest level used the music from the tree levels in DKC 3.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

So, did you see that second weapon get?
I'm pretty sure that was actually a power down that makes the ubercharge worse.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

So, did you see that second weapon get?
I'm pretty sure that was actually a power down that makes the ubercharge worse.

No, it makes Ubercharge give you invincibility as well.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ah, I thought it gave you that from the start. Fair enough.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ubercharge always gives you invincibility, what it does is turn it from "one press = use 1 bar = one second of invincibility" to "use 1 bar per second, invincible and can shoot during it".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So today I was toodling around twitch, and in the "retro" category, I found a Russian stream playing a SMB3 hack that looked pretty neat. It looked like it took a bunch of elements from more modern Marios, like the star coins, and the ice power. But as I said, it was a Russian stream, so I have no idea what the hack was. Any ideas?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I swear like half of LP authors here are Calgarian.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Choco1980 posted:

So today I was toodling around twitch, and in the "retro" category, I found a Russian stream playing a SMB3 hack that looked pretty neat. It looked like it took a bunch of elements from more modern Marios, like the star coins, and the ice power. But as I said, it was a Russian stream, so I have no idea what the hack was. Any ideas?

It might be Mario Adventure, though I could be wrong.

EDIT: On second thought it's probably Super Mario 3Mix.

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 9, 2017

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

I swear like half of LP authors here are Calgarian.

What the gently caress else are you going to do with your life spare time if you live in Calgary?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

biosterous posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to do with your life spare time if you live in Calgary?

I dunno. Herd cattle? :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

biosterous posted:

Wait for a boot-obsessed rich guy to die.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

biosterous posted:

Start lps and then update them twice every year.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
A romhack for the original Metroid called Rogue Dawn was released recently and it is really fun. FPzero you in particular should give it a go if you haven't yet, being a Metroid fan and all. I've never played the original, but I still know they are breaking all kinds of limitations the original had, and they added a whole bunch stuff, like a map and saves. The art is really good, the level design smart and logical. It feels like a mature 2d metroid, but crammed into a NES cartridge. It is a little rough going until you get your first upgrade, but it really starts to open up after that.

You can snag it here
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3280/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

biosterous posted:

The Flames look good this year.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

tiistai posted:

That was Red's battle theme, originally from Gold and Silver

Is the rest of that music from anything? I couldn't tell if it was meant to be some weird Harry Potter adaptation, but it sounds pretty bad. And then the creator decides to use an instantly recognizable Pokemon theme for the boss fight? It's a lot of strange choices.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Oh my goodness I'd almost forgotten about this sketch. Thank you, The Frantics.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: Beyond Chaos: Let's Randomize Final Fantasy 6! :siren:

What is this?

Using the Beyond Chaos randomizer, I'm going to bring havoc and destruction to the Final Fantasy 6 you may or may not already know and love. Not only am I utterly destroying it, but I am also then going to attempt to play through it! More specifically, what this randomizer does is it changes nearly every aspect of the game. Playable characters have been swapped around, they have weird starting equipment, they have weird battle commands, enemies have been shuffled around, treasure chests and any other item pickups have all been shifted around, espers may not be teaching you the spells you expect them to, etc. You name it, it's probably not going to be what you expect it to be. Just about the only things that remain unaltered are the major player NPCs, so Kefka is still Kefka, General Leo is still General Leo, so on and so forth. Assisting me with the more in-depth technical details that I should be sharing are Demerine and FeyerbrandX.

When can we expect updates?

I want to try to post one update a week, but I'm also juggling a lot of things at the moment, so bear with me if I miss a week. Also, video lengths will vary somewhere between twenty minutes to just shy of an hour.

I want to try this out!

You totally should, it's real fun! Follow that link put up there to get the randomizer itself, and if you want to follow along with this specific playthrough, you can input this seed: 62..1486343094

I, uh, am not too sure of the formatting of that seed, actually. It may just be 1486343094, but Feyerbrand seems to have gotten it working with the extra crap in front of it too, so hey! Do whatever works!

Table of Contents

In addition to my own series of videos that make up the main content of this LP, co-commentator FeyerbrandX will also be chronicling the things I miss as I blunder through the game I thought I knew. His screenshot mini-updates also happen to be an invaluable source of information that everyone should keep an eye on.

liquidy's video content

Episode 1 - I Have Amnesia!
Episode 2 - It's Not a Happy Place
Episode 3 - R-Nuke it From Orbit
Episode 4 - Abominable Swordsman
Episode 5 - Grind on a Sasquatch
Episode 6 - Whump
Episode 7 - Not More Wild Wind!
Episode 8 - We Get It, You Vape
Episode 9 - Maybe I'm Going to Use Runic
Episode 10 - Grand Treason
Episode 11 - Everybody Doot Now
Episode 12 - Ultimas Up Your rear end
Episode 13 - Really Elaborate Forks
Episode 14 - Katana Barrel
Episode 15 - Sweet Mohawk Trix
Episode 16 - Just Like I Remember It
Episode 17 - Dat Kow Der is Ripped
Episode 18 - The Biggest Room There Is
Episode 19 - Remember the Happy Times
Episode 20 - Very, Very, Very Dead
Episode 21 - We Should Know Better
Episode 22 - Thanks, OBS
Episode 23 - 2 Speed 2 Furious
Episode 24 - Just Drink It In
Episode 25 - My Brain Won't Melt
Episode 26 - Fight House
Episode 27 - Albino Sonic
Episode 28 - Dickworm Teleport
Episode 29 - Not Here For Subtlety
Episode 30 - Hype For Nothing
Episode 31 - Are We Done Yet
Episode 32 - The Drinking Episode
Episode 33 - Jack's Back
Episode 34 - It's ????
Episode 35 - Secretly Into Beyblades
Episode 36 - Oh, It's a Rat Stack
Episode 37 - Live Free or Bum Hard
Episode 38 - My Gilgamesh Cosplay
Episode 39 - [Insert Crazed Laughter Here]

Beyond Chaos FF6 Randomizer Post-Mortem - Hosted by FeyerbrandX

FeyerbrandX's corrections, missed loot, and minutiae showcase

Episode 1 - 2 coverage
Episode 3 coverage
Episode 4 - 5 coverage
Episode 6 coverage
Episode 6.5 - 9 coverage
Episode 10 - 11 coverage
Episode 12 - 13 coverage
Episode 14 - 16 coverage
Episode 17 - 20 coverage
Episode 21 coverage
World of Ruin Roundup 1
World of Ruin Roundup 2
World of Ruin Roundup 3
World of Ruin Roundup 4
World of Ruin Roundup 5
World of Ruin Roundup 6
Kefka's Tower Roundup 1
Kefka's Tower Roundup 2

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 25, 2017

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: Let's Randomize Final Fantasy 6! :siren:

Oh my god this is fantastic :allears:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

oldskool posted:

Oh my god this is fantastic :allears:

You ain't seen nothin' yet. The Beyond Chaos randomizer can also generate a dungeon crawl a la Lufia II's Ancient Cave.

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

I look forward to squeaking with glee throughout the entirety of the FF6 randomizer run. I mean, Gendo and his army of girl clones is gonna be tough to top, but I'll keep up the glee as best I can!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
There is a very quiet voice in the background at some points during this video that doesn't seem to correspond to any of the three commentators. Am I just imagining this, or did somebody step away from their mic, or what?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

vdate posted:

There is a very quiet voice in the background at some points during this video that doesn't seem to correspond to any of the three commentators. Am I just imagining this, or did somebody step away from their mic, or what?

That's my wife leaning over my shoulder wanting to be a part of the rock and roll lifestyle of an lper hanger-on like myself.

Or it could be me, liquidy had to crank up the gain on my mic for this session because I didn't want to listen to my own audio.

But back to the randomizer, just going to say to those playing along with the seed, remember you can see temp party member equipment by selecting equip, hitting left and seeing the whole crews load out. The equipment options are interesting to say the least.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Welp, there's my 5. :allears:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

liquidypoo posted:

:siren: Let's Randomize Final Fantasy 6! :siren:

Yes! This seed seems so much more fun than one I did a year ago.

I did end up with a Terra Celes that could cast Goner though. :getin:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Decided to (try to) play along and, uh, good luck :psyduck:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
If Mega Man Universe had ever come out, it would've just been this, forever.

ROCKMAN CX #4: The Video That Broke Simon.
(Heavy Sigh, SnoruntPyro, Shinryu, and Floor)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Simon's breaking wasn't nearly as funny as Pyro's, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wouldn't even say Simon broke, he was just laughing at how horribly that level was designed. Pyro, though....

• Locked thread