Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Hbomberguy posted:

It's so good. Like, there's the obvious first layer of comedy, right? Where he spends 30 minutes making cup noodles and pours hot water all over his kitchen counter doing it, and makes comments like 'this is great because it's a very cheap food source for students' before turning to his obscenely expensive keurig coffee machine to get hot water from it to make them with, and laments the lack of actual shrimps in his fifty cent shrimp flavoured noodle, as if he got ripped off.

But then, in the background, you get some of the most beautiful and baffling moment in human history.

Phil keeps, seemingly at all times, a cutting board with a ceramic knife and an array of spoons on it on his kitchen counter, just there, in case he needs them. Whenever he wants to cut any meat he has to move all the spoons and poo poo off, cut the stuff, wash the cutting board, and then presumably dry it and put the spoons back on.

Next to it is an inordinate amount of pyrex measuring jugs. He has like five pyrex measuring jugs, piled up there on his counter, in case he needs five pyrex measuring jugs. I can honestly say that this frame of video footage is going to be a point of obsession for the rest of my life.

Wait, it takes a half hour to make a cup of noodles?

*watches video*

Can he take his fedora off the counter?
Those Pyrex measuring cups are the same size? I have three Pyrex, but they are all different sizes (1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup) and some of them are hand me down ones. Also, instead of the Kureg, if he does not have a kettle (electric or otherwise) get one of those pyrex measuring cups and microwave water for 5 minutes, it'll be boiling then.

Now Cup of noodles is interesting, but this video series perplexes me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heSVJL5XYQs

Why fry meatballs in a large pot instead of a frying pan? Also, do you really need 3/4 cup of shugar for tomato sauce? You only need a pinch to cut the acidity of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wfj0-_q6dg

Bon appetit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

It's so good. Like, there's the obvious first layer of comedy, right? Where he spends 30 minutes making cup noodles and pours hot water all over his kitchen counter doing it, and makes comments like 'this is great because it's a very cheap food source for students' before turning to his obscenely expensive keurig coffee machine to get hot water from it to make them with, and laments the lack of actual shrimps in his fifty cent shrimp flavoured noodle, as if he got ripped off.

But then, in the background, you get some of the most beautiful and baffling moment in human history.

Phil keeps, seemingly at all times, a cutting board with a ceramic knife and an array of spoons on it on his kitchen counter, just there, in case he needs them. Whenever he wants to cut any meat he has to move all the spoons and poo poo off, cut the stuff, wash the cutting board, and then presumably dry it and put the spoons back on.

Next to it is an inordinate amount of pyrex measuring jugs. He has like five pyrex measuring jugs, piled up there on his counter, in case he needs five pyrex measuring jugs. I can honestly say that this frame of video footage is going to be a point of obsession for the rest of my life.

So... Does DSP at any point actually end up eating the noodles? I'm asking because there's no loving way in hell I will ever actually watch a DSP video of my own volition, and I remember being told that he once did a 20 minute "unboxing" video of a video game that ended with him never actually opening the box.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have wondered many times over the last year or so why Yahtzee doesn't just go onto Patreon and do his schtick there and make the 12 grand a month or however much Jim Sterling makes.

I figure it's two reasons.

1. The Escapist "owns" his Zero Punctuation ip. As I heard that some other shows that were cancelled could not go on and continue with their own work on youtube.

2. Jim Sterling works like a mule to put content out and who the gently caress wants that?

Any thoughts on that one?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Maxamillion Dood is the Anti-DSP. He's actually good at fighting games, manages to have a chill and fun personality, and is totally cool if he loses a battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Miles923

He's also got a really fun series in Boss Rage where he goes after the hardest bosses in fighting game history. There's some ANGRY YELLING but it's 100% in good fun and he's actually funny. Check out his Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat history series too.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I imagine it must be an IP/copyright/contract thing that means Zero Punctuation is owned by The Escapist or it would be onerous for Yahtzee to buy himself out.

Alternatively, he is in a comfortable arrangement and he doesn't want the hassle of going solo. :shrug: He was doing some LPs but uploading to YouTube some captured footage with commentary and not much editing is nothing close to running your own website etc.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I imagine it must be an IP/copyright/contract thing that means Zero Punctuation is owned by The Escapist or it would be onerous for Yahtzee to buy himself out.

Alternatively, he is in a comfortable arrangement and he doesn't want the hassle of going solo. :shrug: He was doing some LPs but uploading to YouTube some captured footage with commentary and not much editing is nothing close to running your own website etc.

yeah, i mean, i don't begrudge him for sticking with something if it's working for him, i'm just amazed it's still working when the escapist is a empty-husk of a website
it would not surprise me if ip issues play a role though. i remember there was a big semi-public fight when extra credits stopped getting paid and tried to take their show independent and what's his name, bob, had to rebrand his show after getting cut since the escapist still owned the name or something

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

yeah, i mean, i don't begrudge him for sticking with something if it's working for him, i'm just amazed it's still working when the escapist is a empty-husk of a website
it would not surprise me if ip issues play a role though. i remember there was a big semi-public fight when extra credits stopped getting paid and tried to take their show independent and what's his name, bob, had to rebrand his show after getting cut since the escapist still owned the name or something

Speaking of Extra Credits, aside from their main show (which is mostly okay to occasionally pretty good) they also have Extra History where they spend 4-6 episodes picking some less known historical moments, or the lives of historical figures and giving a crash course narrative on them. I'd recommend their series on Admiral Yi for one of their best sets, but most the stuff in there is really fascinating and an easy listen.

On the negatives though, the narrator, Daniel, edits his voice over to give it a higher pitch which I know annoys the poo poo out of some people, and they also make frequent mistakes (flags in particular, to the point that it's kind of running joke) though they do own up to these whenever they can. Almost every topic ends with an extra video where the writer points out mistakes that they made as well as pointing out where they fudged details to make for a better story. You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Also avoid literally every single political video they make as they are universally awful.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Alacron posted:

Speaking of Extra Credits, aside from their main show (which is mostly okay to occasionally pretty good) they also have Extra History where they spend 4-6 episodes picking some less known historical moments, or the lives of historical figures and giving a crash course narrative on them. I'd recommend their series on Admiral Yi for one of their best sets, but most the stuff in there is really fascinating and an easy listen.

On the negatives though, the narrator, Daniel, edits his voice over to give it a higher pitch which I know annoys the poo poo out of some people, and they also make frequent mistakes (flags in particular, to the point that it's kind of running joke) though they do own up to these whenever they can. Almost every topic ends with an extra video where the writer points out mistakes that they made as well as pointing out where they fudged details to make for a better story. You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.

is it off topic if we talk about video people who don't do reviews? because i watch way more of that

i hear the shallow criticism leveled against a lot of stuff on youtube, to which my response has always been, if it's got your interest look up a book, find a podcast! the whole youtube format in general just doesn't seem that conductive to more in-depth examinations, imo, that seems to take a very special combination of creator and audience to pull off
wasn't there something about research showing the dumb youtuber thing of having their face in the corner doing over-the-top reactions was actually really effective at getting views? i think i heard that from a lindsey ellis video or tweet or something but i'm not sure

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

AriadneThread posted:

is it off topic if we talk about video people who don't do reviews? because i watch way more of that

i hear the shallow criticism leveled against a lot of stuff on youtube, to which my response has always been, if it's got your interest look up a book, find a podcast! the whole youtube format in general just doesn't seem that conductive to more in-depth examinations, imo, that seems to take a very special combination of creator and audience to pull off

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like youtube in general caters to shallow stuff. I really wish there were more in-depth videos, since the multimedia approach can be a really great way to learn stuff, but I can't argue the effort-to-payoff ratio.

quote:

wasn't there something about research showing the dumb youtuber thing of having their face in the corner doing over-the-top reactions was actually really effective at getting views? i think i heard that from a lindsey ellis video or tweet or something but i'm not sure

Don't have a link, but I saw the same thing. Annoying, but if it gets people more views, I'm not going to make a stink over it. :/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alacron posted:

That's more with their actual Extra Credits series on game design, which is very beginner friendly to the point of basically being a survey course rather than in depth analyses. Their Extra History stuff is generally better researched, and when Dan does his let's plays looking at animation, you can tell he knows what he's talking about.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

AriadneThread posted:

That's exactly what I thought. I mean, I remember maybe 5 years ago there was a pretty decent video up every day. Now, I log in every few weeks to look at Yahtzee's videos. I remember that the site would actually shut down for the 10 or so minutes after if launched. What a world.

I used to enjoy the Extra Credits stuff. But the earnest emotional "Let's pull together and be a better world" stuff that closed out each episode got to me. (As did the chipmunk voice.) But what really crushed my interest was the video where one of the contributors went on camera live to talk about depression. Ok, sure brave move. But it destroyed my respect for the show. I can't listen to podcasts where people talk in detail about their personal lives and watching this guy, who the show had constantly made out was this genius of videogames (and to be honest, a bit of a Mary Sue) talk in great and awkward length about his depression just made me say no more and cut it off. (I searched, I can't find the video)

It's a kinda complex reaction and feeds into a lot of my viewing choice. I like many people, suffer from depression. I never discuss it with my friends, co-workers or even partners. All of them know. But I don't want that trait to define my relationships. People I know who are open about their depression seem to let it define them and I battle every day to not let that happen. I find no comfort in sharing it and you are judged for it. Even by the best of people, who may not mean to judge you negatively. But can't help to see you as weak. I had a girlfriend who I had told about it who dumped me and for weeks would call to make sure I was not going to kill myself. (I never expressed a desire to her at any point) But inevitably, the thought creeped in. Maybe it's me seeing too much of myself in these people or maybe I a have enough human drama in my own life without getting involved in strangers online who make videos to entertain and sometimes educate me. But I could not help but feel like I had lose my respect for a series when they start saying. "Hey, sorry I have not posted in a while. I am dealing with some stuff, it's hard but I will power through for my fans." It strikes me as a craving for external validation or a desire to be thought of as deep and meaningful.

I know I must sound like a hypocritical callous rear end in a top hat for that. But yet, I suspect I am not alone in feeling that. Does too much personal information from the hosts bother you?

Don't get me started on Moviebob. I can't believe I used to go to that site.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

I know I must sound like a hypocritical callous rear end in a top hat for that. But yet, I suspect I am not alone in feeling that. Does too much personal information from the hosts bother you?

uh, yeah, as person that has/continues to deal with depression, more then anything else it sounds like something you really ought to be talking to a therapist about instead of buying into this harmful stigma around mental illness
like, if you feel the need to check out of something because you don't have it in you to take in a stranger's personal issues, that's fair, i do that all the time, but thinking less of them for being open about it is kind of lovely and self-destructive, imo it's not a weakness to be honest about how you're feeling
i would much rather, personally, for a creator to be honest that they're dealing with tough poo poo then just drop off the face of the earth. how much they want to disclose is up to them. but seriously, this is something i would recommend navigating with a therapist if you aren't already

i mean, there's a danger with over-sharing too, yeah, but i find that's not a issue unique to people with depression and more with internet celebrity over all and the difficulty in maintaining the line between personal and public facing personas.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Ashens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IWwM26OxiM

Soothing British voice who reviews toys, food, and other cheap Chinese ripoff items.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Heather Alexandra is a Kotaku writer who got started doing critical Let's Plays of Shadows of the Colossus and Far Cry 4. She also used to have a series called Minicrits that aren't far off from Errant Signal's videos. You can find both of those on her channel, along with a few "Let's Remember" series on games like Skies of Arcadia here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtfjXS1Ay_yXHTs8XEjNwwg/featured

And here's an example of her video work over at Kotaku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO8mlKQLavo

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TheBrandonTenold

Canadian guy reviews cult films. The "I'm an amusing rear end in a top hat" bit can grate occasionally but I like him because he's reviewed some really good bizarre films (Horror Express, The Final Programme) and looks like this one photo of young Theodore Roosevelt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCWR3D8_NSL7Dl3r62_q3Cog

Australian lady reviews queer cinema and costume dramas.

Hbomberguy posted:

I love you a little bit, okay

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've stopped watching Moviebob in the past few months. Seems like every five minutes he's going on about how poor rural people deserve to die and how they're holding back "the future" or some poo poo.

I kinda like Jontron's videos but lately it seems like he's a little too friendly with alt-right types. I hope thats just an error in my perception because his videos are funny.

Other than that, it's pretty much Redlettermedia for me, all the way.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Much like Moviebob being futurist fascist sadly Jontron is traditional fascist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keep the politics low.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Alacron posted:

You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.
Funny enough, they just posted a video addressing the fundamental challenge behind delving into the subject of games as a medium this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNV2xtiBk5U

While we're compiling YouTubers

Jenny Nicholson - Vloggish, though often deceptively in-depth, reviews of various Disney/Harry Potter/Star Wars/&c. related things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC7-E5xhZBZdW-8d7V80mzfg

Innuendo Studios (Ian Danskin) - fairly deep-cut essays on specific games and general media literacy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC5fdssPqmmGhkhsJi4VcckA

Renegade Cut (Leon Thomas) - Fairly short recap/thematic summary reviews of a huge swath of movies. Super consitant, too. Does one a week almost without fail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC9infsKo33_2LUoiqXGgQWg

Brad Jones - vlog reviews of almost every new movie every week, plus in-character reviews of faith films, grindhouse, and pornography https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCIO689mgXeuzH4M5NS7wZwg

Errant Signal - video game reviews from a more analytical standpoint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCm4JnxTxtvItQecKUc4zRhQ

Folding Ideas - general media literacy, but a heavy focus on editing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCyNtlmLB73-7gtlBz00XOQQ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alacron posted:

You could also argue that they're shallow and don't really delve into the meat of the subjects they're tackling.

This is my biggest problem with them. They have 8 or 9 minute long episodes and all they do with that time is define terms and lay out the broadest parts of a subject and nothing more. They also lie about "We'll be discussing this topic" when they're really just defining the topic. It's the most shallow poo poo ever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lonos Oboe posted:

I have wondered many times over the last year or so why Yahtzee doesn't just go onto Patreon and do his schtick there and make the 12 grand a month or however much Jim Sterling makes.

I figure it's two reasons.

1. The Escapist "owns" his Zero Punctuation ip. As I heard that some other shows that were cancelled could not go on and continue with their own work on youtube.

2. Jim Sterling works like a mule to put content out and who the gently caress wants that?

Any thoughts on that one?

He owns a bar, now a franchise I think, writes novels, does coding, and some freelance journalism. Dude's probably way too busy to go full time with ZP.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Movies with Mikey and his faves of 2016: https://youtu.be/hN2B7GHffgI

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

PassTheRemote posted:

Why fry meatballs in a large pot instead of a frying pan? Also, do you really need 3/4 cup of shugar for tomato sauce? You only need a pinch to cut the acidity of it.
Bon appetit!

He's amazing.

My favourite cooking video is what me and my friends call 'DSP and the family breakfast mystery', in which where he makes egg-in-a-hole toast and calls it 'egg with a hole in the middle' and has no idea what the name is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LgMrkRrRI
Highlights:

- "I'd rather get breakfasts out of the way before I tackle any advanced recipes."
- Using PAM to spray the pan instead of cooking with butter, aka, the things you loving cook bread and eggs with, you disgusting food criminal
- Despite being a video about cooking, and a simple recipe that shouldn't take ten minutes yet somehow does, he still had to cook the bacon in advance
- He drops the eggshell directly onto the bread
- "Technically, it's not a sandwich, because there's holes in it"
- "here are two pieces of what we like to call egg with the hole in the middle *holds up two pieces of uncooked bread, egg completely obscured by cold pre-cooked bacon and unmelted processed cheese*
- *pokes the bread, discovers it is soft and not toast* "It's very lightly toasted"
- "You can do healthy variations on this"

I don't want to come across as making fun of this guy. I genuinely love and am entertained by this man's food videos and hope he never stops, for me he's just a fantastic oddity on par with Masaokis in terms of sheer awkward entertainment. You couldn't make funnier cooking videos if you tried - some people have tried to parody his food videos and they can never be as good

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Can't believe I forgot this guy! SuperBunnyHop is another really great video game critic. His videos are either about reviewing specific games, events or concepts in gaming. A recent video he did talked about getting to play the "Nintendo Playstation" Prototype where he interviews the owners of a once-mythical piece of gaming history.

Also, he loves you.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hbomberguy posted:

He's amazing.

My favourite cooking video is what me and my friends call 'DSP and the family breakfast mystery', in which where he makes egg-in-a-hole toast and calls it 'egg with a hole in the middle' and has no idea what the name is.
Highlights:

- "I'd rather get breakfasts out of the way before I tackle any advanced recipes."
- Using PAM to spray the pan instead of cooking with butter, aka, the things you loving cook bread and eggs with, you disgusting food criminal
- Despite being a video about cooking, and a simple recipe that shouldn't take ten minutes yet somehow does, he still had to cook the bacon in advance
- He drops the eggshell directly onto the bread
- "Technically, it's not a sandwich, because there's holes in it"
- "here are two pieces of what we like to call egg with the hole in the middle *holds up two pieces of uncooked bread, egg completely obscured by cold pre-cooked bacon and unmelted processed cheese*
- *pokes the bread, discovers it is soft and not toast* "It's very lightly toasted"
- "You can do healthy variations on this"

I don't want to come across as making fun of this guy. I genuinely love and am entertained by this man's food videos and hope he never stops, for me he's just a fantastic oddity on par with Masaokis in terms of sheer awkward entertainment. You couldn't make funnier cooking videos if you tried - some people have tried to parody his food videos and they can never be as good

DSP is really really funny, and I want to like the dude purely by how hilariously inept he is, but the dude's got a really nasty mean streak that sours me on him. It's funny the first time when he shrieks about losing a fighting game match, it starts being infuriating and awful when he screams and calls people retards, loses, shitheads, autistic and other poo poo because he can't win. Masoakis's home is a wreck but he's at least funny and pretty chill (and shockingly sane and relaxed in his 'normal' home) and not an angry dickhead.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MariusLecter posted:

Movies with Mikey and his faves of 2016: https://youtu.be/hN2B7GHffgI

Yeah, movies with Mikey is really funny and informative. If you want recommendations for indy films that aren't blockbusters, he's a good place to start.

Edit: This reminds me that John Wick 2 and Lego Batman are out this weekend. :neckbeard:

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

poptart_fairy posted:

He owns a bar, now a franchise I think, writes novels, does coding, and some freelance journalism. Dude's probably way too busy to go full time with ZP.

The Mana Bar closed back in 2013 but he did recently move to America. I do miss his videos his Gabe. :(

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

oldman posted:

The Mana Bar closed back in 2013 but he did recently move to America. I do miss his videos his Gabe. :(
Closed in 2015.

Went to The Mana Bar once. It was kinda cool, but it was also tiny. There were *maybe* 30 people there and you could barely move, the drinks were expensive even by Brisbane standards, and Fortitude Valley is a nightlife spot just far enough from the CBD that there's no reason to go unless you're really planning on drinking all night.

And I don't know why everyone shits on Moviebob so much (okay I do, but bear with me). He makes some good videos, like this Bob's Burgers one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSI0Ua2Uvg

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Sometimes with review videos, the reason you may not like a certain reviewer is because of their politics and how it affects their perception. The "death of the author" can be a hard enough thing to do watching a Woody Allen film or a Tom Cruise action movie. With an online reviewer it can be really hard. Even if you agree with most of a person's politics, they can be such insufferable cunts about it that you can't help but dislike them. Or you feel they are championing something not said enough.

You can't separate a reviewer from their politics so I think it's worth mentioning if a reviewer is partial to bringing it up.

Folks like Yahtzee and Red Letter Media generally avoid it. (Sometimes they can't help it, but I never found their work politically motivated from what I have seen) But Moviebob or Anita Sarkeesian can't help but have it. I think it''s best for the list being compiled to highlight if they have a certain leaning viewpoint. But add no further judgement on them.

Also, I just discovered Comic Book Girl 19 I have only seen maybe 5 videos, but I really like her perspective on comic book movies and comic books in general. Maybe someone who has seen more of her stuff. can add more details.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

He's amazing.

Looks like the videos from this channel are down, couldn't find a backup from a cursory google search.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Someone already brought up my favorite (Movies with Mikey) so instead I'll shine a light on someone else I like for mostly the same reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2jtkIrqd4
Rossatron focuses mainly on action films through a lens that most critics would not use on an action film while occasionally exploring their broader cultural impact and the evolution of certain film-making and stuntwork techniques. He's not the most entertaining critic, but certainly informative and passionate about fight scenes

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Lonos Oboe posted:

Folks like Yahtzee and Red Letter Media generally avoid it. (Sometimes they can't help it, but I never found their work politically motivated from what I have seen) But Moviebob or Anita Sarkeesian can't help but have it. I think it''s best for the list being compiled to highlight if they have a certain leaning viewpoint. But add no further judgement on them.

Also, I just discovered Comic Book Girl 19 I have only seen maybe 5 videos, but I really like her perspective on comic book movies and comic books in general. Maybe someone who has seen more of her stuff. can add more details.

I'll add Comic Book Girl 19 to the OP. Slowly adding more to the OP.

I probably won't add Anita or Moviebob to the OP. Both are too politically charged now. People are free to post reviews by anyone they want as long as the review in question is not essentially political. For example, if Hbomb has a largely non-political video than I think it would be fine to share it here. Yes, how do you define "political" etc etc.... It is easy enough for newcomers to find political takes on X, Y, Z just by internet searches and following links etc. They don't need our help.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Does ComicsExplained YouTube channel count as an internet video reviewer?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Does ComicsExplained YouTube channel count as an internet video reviewer?

Good question. I mean, we include a number of other people who are really essayists. I mean, I guess it all comes down to what you consider to be a review. Personally I lean towards the broader "re-view", anything that implies a looking over, but for others here it might just be the "is this good or bad?" style.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Well, here's his latest on the Injustice series.

How Sinestro Corrupts Superman (Injustice Gods Among Us: Year Two Volume 1) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fctSnap60YE

e; and here is the first one to start you guys off. How Did DC Comics Injustice Start? (Injustice Year One: Prelude)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiEwWtLxZE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ralph The Movie Maker is hard to pin down. He often reviews big budget films with an eye towards analyses on why they work and why they don't, but he also reviews terrible reality TV series and other works. What makes him interesting is his presentation, which is either entirely genuine, or the driest sarcasm I have ever seen. I'm still not sure if he is sincere or not, but he's a good one.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jeremy Parish has been a game reviewer/knowy figure for around 20 years, popping around the time Seanbaby was a thing. Among other things including a podcast that has SA Allumini BobServo, several books that were what Brick by Brick wanted to be and probably the most touching article about wearing a fedora.

Link goes to his youtube channel, which atm is hosting his projects GameBoy World and GoodNintentions , kind of sister projects to a major one hosted by...

Doctor Sparkle 's Chrotendo, a rather ambitious project to review every Nes and Family Computer game around. The Lo-Fi aesthetic and the incredibly chill presentation has been growing in popularity for several years. Atm his youtube is a bit disorganized, so a link to his rehosted videos on the Internet Archive is advisable

Retro Pals is kind of a grabbag in terms of RetroGame Systems, mainly based on streams. There's an overview of early PSX games being slowly done, and there has been crosslinks between them and Lazy Game Reviews among others.

Stop Skeletons from Fighting is centered on both the often maligned and the incredibly obscure figures on videogames.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lonos Oboe posted:

Sometimes with review videos, the reason you may not like a certain reviewer is because of their politics and how it affects their perception. The "death of the author" can be a hard enough thing to do watching a Woody Allen film or a Tom Cruise action movie. With an online reviewer it can be really hard. Even if you agree with most of a person's politics, they can be such insufferable cunts about it that you can't help but dislike them. Or you feel they are championing something not said enough.

You can't separate a reviewer from their politics so I think it's worth mentioning if a reviewer is partial to bringing it up.

I think the primary reason behind the "no politics" rule is because the Internet Critic thread in RGD devolves into lovely screaming matches roughly five times every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think the primary reason behind the "no politics" rule is because the Internet Critic thread in RGD devolves into lovely screaming matches roughly five times every hour.

So glad about that rule

Another one that might make the list is Cinefix's What's the Difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?CineFix

They take a book or comic book adaptation and analyse the differences between and offer their opinions on what they believe worked or didn't. It's an unconventional approach, but it is a review show when you break it down. They apply critical thinking to both the source and the adaptation and argue about which is better.

• Locked thread