Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cat Mattress posted:

Doppler-Kruning effect: an incoming object seems smarter than it really is; an outgoing one seems dumber.
Something something political joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Doppler-Kruning effect: an incoming object seems smarter than it really is; an outgoing one seems dumber.
It actually sound like an actual accurate political effect but it may be because it's an up and incoming theory. In a few years, we will just say it was a dumb idea. :frog:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

New Goblins one!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

You made me actually check the URL first. :D

e: Elan's the best when he's at about this amount of ditzy vs competence.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That one actually made me laugh out loud, and it's been a while since that's happened.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I like that Elan's wearing his outfit from the very first strip, in this flashback. :) The comic has had a lot of costume changes, but it was cool to see that red sash again!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Glad to see Andi's learned exactly nothing from this experience.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

PMush Perfect posted:

Glad to see Andi's learned exactly nothing from this experience.

Encounter isn't over yet!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
She just hasn't gotten enough XP to level up yet, she'll be fine once she raises the right skills.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/829418183161479172

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Rich is the best.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rich :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I would have guessed mint, most likely wintergreen specifically.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 3, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

for once in it's life, twitter is right

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

gitp forums: WHY IS THIS CHARACTER IN A PARTY OF POORLY ALLOCATED CHARACTERS NOT OPTIMALLY ALLOCATED

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AriadneThread posted:

for once in it's life, twitter is right

clouds actually just taste like fog :saddowns:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Shugojin posted:

gitp forums: WHY IS THIS CHARACTER IN A PARTY OF POORLY ALLOCATED CHARACTERS NOT OPTIMALLY ALLOCATED

It's been ten gods damned years, and they still don't loving understand this.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Shugojin posted:

The joke is that, unlike everyone else in OOTS, Elan is fairly well optimized.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cuchulain posted:

The joke is that, unlike everyone else in OOTS, Elan is fairly well optimized.

No, no it is not.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Not this joke, this joke is that he's an airhead. I meant the core joke about Elan.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
He's not an airhead he's just got his head in the clouds.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Of course he does. How else you going to figure out how they taste?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I understand how Roy and V and Belkar are poorly optimized, but how are Durkon and Haley? Not sarcastic I legit don't know

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Durkon's far too interested in melee combat and Haley is playing a rogue.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Being dead is a trap feat. He should've been alive instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I understand how Roy and V and Belkar are poorly optimized, but how are Durkon and Haley? Not sarcastic I legit don't know

Haley takes things that she likes rather than things that will benefit her. (i.e: turning down boots of speed because they're lime green.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Belkar took Wisdom as his dump stat and thus can't cast spells.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Durkon is a cleric who doesn't have enough ranks in knowledge (religion) to figure out when another cleric serves a sworn enemy of his god

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

Durkon is a cleric who doesn't have enough ranks in knowledge (religion) to figure out when another cleric serves a sworn enemy of his god

And that was something that went from "crappy build" to "tragic flaw and cause of death" over the course of the story.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Rand Brittain posted:

Belkar took Wisdom as his dump stat and thus can't cast spells.

Plus no tracking or animal companion until very recently yeah

And Roy has the perfect stat spread to be a pretty great wizard
And V had the objectively best magic school as his forbidden magic school right

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Calaveron posted:

And Roy has the perfect stat spread to be a pretty great wizard

Roy is an unfair case because he reads to me like his stats are 14+ across the board. He could pull off any class.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

And V had the objectively best magic school as his forbidden magic school right

Look, it's not V's fault that the laws of the universe had been rewritten since V chose a forbidden school.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ikanreed posted:

Roy is an unfair case because he reads to me like his stats are 14+ across the board. He could pull off any class.

Roy is kind of a meta-joke about fighters in D&D 3.0/3.5. Given his stat spread, he could be great at any number of classes, prestige or otherwise, but he's simply putting level after level into fighter, well past the point where fighters can be expected to have plateaued. He's also burned a lot of feats on greatsword specialization, which bit him in the rear end when he had to run around with a club for a few hundred strips.

So Roy is pursuing a decidedly substandard leveling path, Durkon misallocated his skill points (and has a Dexterity penalty), Haley is virtually useless unless she can sneak attack (and doesn't carry a backup weapon), Elan decided to be a backup spellcaster for utility but hasn't taken any of the typical matching feats or skills, and Belkar is a halfling melee fighter with a Wisdom penalty who typically has to be reminded about his own class features.

V is a more interesting case, because the transition in #001 from 3.0 to 3.5 mucked up their character build. I think V even complains about it in one strip or another, that their excluded schools changed at some point after character creation, which is why they don't know teleport any longer. Even considering that, evocation specialization has always been one of the most munchkin-friendly wizard builds in D&D; you're giving up vast amounts of flexibility and adaptability in exchange for simple, raw firepower. You're basically begging the DM to come up with a series of scenarios that you can't win simply by blowing everything in front of you to hell.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Not sure if Durkon is badly built per se, or just has had no idea how to abuse his class features properly. Far too much melee attacking and healing when he should have been raining the wrath of the gods on his enemies.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

There's that line from his Celestial Caseworker that says Roy could make a decent cleric, too. He just really doesn't want much to do with magic or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

V is a more interesting case, because the transition in #001 from 3.0 to 3.5 mucked up their character build. I think V even complains about it in one strip or another, that their excluded schools changed at some point after character creation, which is why they don't know teleport any longer. Even considering that, evocation specialization has always been one of the most munchkin-friendly wizard builds in D&D; you're giving up vast amounts of flexibility and adaptability in exchange for simple, raw firepower. You're basically begging the DM to come up with a series of scenarios that you can't win simply by blowing everything in front of you to hell.
I thought blaster mages were the subpar choice. Sure you can cast several big damage spells to win or you could just cast one save or suck/die spell and effectively end the encounter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

But seriously I don't understand how the gitp forums are so unable to realize that if everybody in it was an optimized build and acted appropriately, it would be really goddamn boring :psyduck:

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

People are little too invested into the mechanics that are only vaguely involved in the story and not enough into the whole narrative. Sure, a key part of OOTS is the Dungeons and Dragons parody, but there's a lot more story to it than that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shugojin posted:

But seriously I don't understand how the gitp forums are so unable to realize that if everybody in it was an optimized build and acted appropriately, it would be really goddamn boring :psyduck:

Not necessarily. You just have to build encounters that require that level of optimization to prevail, or hit 'em where they ain't the way Rich already does to get around V. If the players are all optimized characters, you send optimized monsters after them.