Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

no

Anyway, as a trans woman, i'm not really a woman. I cant get pregnant and my boobs are gross fat man-boobs, LOL. I was raised male and dont know anything about what its like to grow up female. I think biological sex matters because whether or not you have one type of body or another determines how you are treated by society. If you have a vagina and uterus, society has expectations of you and pigeon holes you; same for when you have a dick and dangly wrinkly hairy balls. All my opinoons on feminist issues (and all other issues, to be honest, but thats neither here nor there) are worthless. But people, especially feminists, are very nice and accomodating, even if I dont believe for one second that they really think I'm a woman XD .

Jesus can we go 10 pages without hearing about what a self loathing ugly trans person you are? We get it, you hate everything including other trans people except for gross body poo poo. This doesn't need to be reiterated ad nauseam til the heat death of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

GDT's movies aren't that great. I enjoy Pacific Rim and Pan's Labyrinth but they are kind of forgettable. Also he's obsessed with swords.

e: yeah I forgot he did Devil's Backbone. I loathed the villain so much I don't think I can ever watch it again.

The films he's most known for are really slow and get mislabeled as horror films when they're mostly just uneasy meandering mysteries with supernatural touches. I think they're alright but I rarely feel like watching any of them more than once

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Grandmother of Five posted:

I didn't like it either. If you're not really into "world building", then you simply wont like it, I think. Great works of literature transcends genre, I think, and LORT really doesn't. It exemplifies fantasy, for better or worse, which means for worse if you're not specifically into fantasy.

I like Harry Potter. Although the camping scenes in Deathly Hallows were pretty boring.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Camping blows. People always saying they love camping and I'm wondering if they're taking the piss. Where do you even poo poo? Ridiculous.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Grandmother of Five posted:

I didn't like it either. If you're not really into "world building", then you simply wont like it, I think. Great works of literature transcends genre, I think, and LORT really doesn't. It exemplifies fantasy, for better or worse, which means for worse if you're not specifically into fantasy.

The Hobbit is better than The Lord of the Rings for that very reason. The Hobbit seems more concerned about the actual story that is being told and Bilbo as a character, whereas the LOTR is more about Tolkien's "world" and made-up languages and history.

Story and character should always be the number one thing you are concerned about, if you are a writer. Even if you are writing fantasy or science-fiction. You figure out the characters and the story and themes, and build the world around that. It's actually easier that way, too. I've actually tried to do worldbuilding but i never get very far. Every time i sit down and try to come up with kingdoms, histories, maps, and all that stuff, I can't do it. Because i dont know whats going to be useful for a story. But i can come up with a character and a theme that i want to talk about, and build a little narrative around that. Once i do that, its way easier to come up with background stuff.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It will be a generic sci fi movie stripped of all the imagination and "politically problematic" stuff that makes Dune stand out, because no major studio would pay for a truthful version of the book.

This is the most likely outcome.

I unpopularly think Dune is best suited for TV. IF you want to adapt it all, that is, if nobody ever made a film adaptation of it again it would be no great loss.

Another unpopular Dune related opinion: the last couple Dune original books were actually pretty good.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Blue Star posted:

Story and character should always be the number one thing you are concerned about, if you are a writer. Even if you are writing fantasy or science-fiction.

world-building is a valid arm of storytelling and characterization but yeah not a lot authors respect that, some even just use it as an excuse to work their kinks into a book as some kind of common in-world custom :cripes:

either way, i dare you to imagine something like 1984 dialing back its depiction of a fantastically dismal totalitarian world while still retaining the same impact

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The new Dune is probably just gonna be Dune in the style of the new Star Trek films which will work even less for Dune. I don't even like Dune at all really but I'll be laughing my rear end off as all the stereotypical fighting and epic ship battles that'll be going down in the new one

Some crazy action scenes gonna take place on a sand worms back too I'm calling it. Like a mad max type "fighting on vehicles" thing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It really depends on how the Blade Runner sequel goes down. If he can make that work then he can do Dune.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Camping blows. People always saying they love camping and I'm wondering if they're taking the piss. Where do you even poo poo? Ridiculous.

Camping is fun for a night at most, maybe half a night but then the novelty of drinking and smoking pot in the woods wears off pretty fast. Back in High School a lot of my mates were really into camping and would go on camping trips for 3 days at a time, I think it was mostly just an excuse to get hosed up away from the watchful eyes of parents though, hated it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Camping is fine for people who can stand getting away from their PC / X Box for more than a day without getting the shakes, hth. I miss the times I actually had time and opportunities to camp.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ramagamma posted:

Camping is fun for a night at most, maybe half a night but then the novelty of drinking and smoking pot in the woods wears off pretty fast. Back in High School a lot of my mates were really into camping and would go on camping trips for 3 days at a time, I think it was mostly just an excuse to get hosed up away from the watchful eyes of parents though, hated it.

When I was in highschool we had a sweet mid-way between that cause my friends parents had a cabin that had no electricity so we'd go up light a fire and do shrooms or acid for a day or two at a time and not have to worry about the lovely parts of camping

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I refuse to deal with mosquitoes, especially whatever the gently caress's going on now where they can pierce thick clothing. They got my fingers through gardening gloves, what the hell is happening.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It is OK to admit people who share your political views can be unhelpful dickheads without attributing their actions to "false flags".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

steinrokkan posted:

Camping is fine for people who can stand getting away from their PC / X Box for more than a day without getting the shakes, hth. I miss the times I actually had time and opportunities to camp.

I agree with this, assuming the right climate/weather conditions/equipment. Obviously if you go camping in a mangrove swamp in Florida at the height of summer and you forget your mosquito spray and your tent has holes in it and it starts pouring down rain you're going to hate camping, but just don't do that and plan intelligently and it can be a great time. It's (or at least it can/should be) about a lot more than just "drinking and smoking pot around a fire".

e: as for where you poo poo like the other guy asked, where do you think? It's obviously not as nice as a toilet, but as long as you remember to pack toilet paper it's not a big deal. Just don't fall backwards.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Feb 9, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

It is OK to admit people who share your political views can be unhelpful dickheads without attributing their actions to "false flags".

This exists waaaaaay more on the internet than it does in real life though. Just a few years ago I got bored and posed as a really religious dude on youtube to post on Hitchens and Dawkins videos and I never go out of my way to troll like that. It was just entertaining to take a work break and have 20 angry internet atheists trying to educate me. I'm definitely not immune to dumb sources of gratification and neither are a ton of other people. Yourself included

I feel like actual "I'm gonna make this side look bad" ploys are rarer but they definitely happen on the internet pretty frequently

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh sure, I won't deny the entertainment value to trolling efforts, but it does get irritating when any sort of negativity surrounding a movement gets pushed back as a false flag, or the conniving machinations of a third party. Like, dickheads exist in all walks of life. A movement isn't going to be held back if it falls short of total, utter perfection and trying to whitewash nasty individuals within it just strikes me as a bit desperate.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Also I really wish the reason for this avatar was explained. They're getting a bit obscure now. :psyduck:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Also I really wish the reason for this avatar was explained. They're getting a bit obscure now. :psyduck:

The last one was dumb but obvious. Your new one? No clue.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

It's a really pretty avatar and I kind of wish I had it

But yeah I'm usually suspicious when a place is bombed and someone spraypaints "TRUMP SUCKZ" or "gently caress OBAMA" on the side of it cause that poo poo is so on the nose it's gotta be something dumb. School shootings and poo poo? That's dumb as gently caress

I mean you get actual poo poo like dylan whatever the gently caress and the Boston bomber guys who killed people because of indoctrination but none of that poo poo is false flag stuff. You very rarely get that poo poo anywhere in the world

Edit:btw I just watched a bill burr standup so imagine this in his voice

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bean_shadow posted:

I'm hyperbolizing, of course, but not by much.

Bullshit.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bean_shadow posted:

They take out their silverware and then it's described who's father's, father's, father's, father's made it, whole timelines for foods and objects,

Like, this literally doesn't happen anywhere in the books. There are some spoons that one character has been trying to steal from another for years. She is a bad person.

There are sections of the books (mostly the back end) where Tolkien deliberately mimics the structure of the old epics (that would list whole genealogies for pages upon pages - as in The Aeniad), but it's not constant throughout all six.

His prose pays special attention to landscapes and ancestry because they inform the characters (via History) and frame the stakes of the quest. To say it's "just world-building" is dense. The story and characters are intimately concerned with the passage of time and its effect good and bad, the death of the country idyl etc.

The language stuff is a sidenote in The Lord of the Rings itself, the pop-culture idea that it dominates his writing is based on appendices and different works published after his death.

And taking issue with the songs is the dumbest criticism I've ever heard as the book is a musical so how can there not be songs?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

sassassin posted:

Like, this literally doesn't happen anywhere in the books. There are some spoons that one character has been trying to steal from another for years. She is a bad person.

There are sections of the books (mostly the back end) where Tolkien deliberately mimics the structure of the old epics (that would list whole genealogies for pages upon pages - as in The Aeniad), but it's not constant throughout all six.

His prose pays special attention to landscapes and ancestry because they inform the characters (via History) and frame the stakes of the quest. To say it's "just world-building" is dense. The story and characters are intimately concerned with the passage of time and its effect good and bad, the death of the country idyl etc.

The language stuff is a sidenote in The Lord of the Rings itself, the pop-culture idea that it dominates his writing is based on appendices and different works published after his death.

And taking issue with the songs is the dumbest criticism I've ever heard as the book is a musical so how can there not be songs?

Lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
An ancient god seeks to reclaim the magic ring of legend and only the long-lost descendant of a fallen line of Kings can stop him (with a little help from his friends).

But why are they talking about history? It's just pointless world-building!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sassassin posted:

An ancient god seeks to reclaim the magic ring of legend and only the long-lost descendant of a fallen line of Kings can stop him (with a little help from his friends).
Is this from MagicRealismBot?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the only reason people wouldn't like camping is not being able to play video games lmao

Maybe I'm a spoiled baby but I like sleeping in a bed, indoors. That's why I have a cabin where I can get all the benefits of camping(seclusion, unplugging, nature, drinking and smoking weed without consequence etc) without having to sleep outside or poo poo in the woods.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

hard counter posted:

either way, i dare you to imagine something like 1984 dialing back its depiction of a fantastically dismal totalitarian world while still retaining the same impact

You could even say it's doubleplusgood dismal.

sassassin posted:

I was just hyperbolizing to explain how he goes off on tangents on the little things when there should be action. Sorry if I don't like it, but those are reasons why I dislike it. I can see why people like the series, I just can't get through it. I wish I could like it because I do like the plot and ideas but it's just too unnecessarily padded. Can you deny that Tolkien loves to hear himself talk?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bean_shadow posted:

I was just hyperbolizing to explain how he goes off on tangents on the little things when there should be action. Sorry if I don't like it, but those are reasons why I dislike it. I can see why people like the series, I just can't get through it. I wish I could like it because I do like the plot and ideas but it's just too unnecessarily padded. Can you deny that Tolkien loves to hear himself talk?

No more than anyone who writes a novel.

You are allowed to dislike the book. I dislike the book.

But if you're going to explain why you dislike it, try to mention things that actually exist in the book, rather than just making stuff up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

poptart_fairy posted:

I also really like your new avatar (it reminds me of that Da Vinci sketch of the woman with the plucked hairline), but where are you posting that you keep being bought a rotating door of avatars?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I loved camping when I was a kid and early teen and doing scouts and competitive survival camping contests and poo poo, but as an old fussy adult with fussy guts, not anymore :( It's nice though to live somewhere where you can be in an amazing provincial park or island or all the places people like to camp but make it a day-trip instead. Or rent a cabin and hit a different forest every day. Best of both worlds really.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't think anyone would argue that a cabin is superior to camping in a tent in almost every way, but it's just not an option. It's not something you have to like or want to do, but I don't understand how anyone can't see the appeal of it for some people, and why they get so defensive about it. If you don't like the outdoors it's fine. For everyone who hates camping there's someone who can't stand being in/near the downtown area of a city (me). Different things make different people happy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Das Boo posted:

I also really like your new avatar (it reminds me of that Da Vinci sketch of the woman with the plucked hairline), but where are you posting that you keep being bought a rotating door of avatars?

The IOSM thread it looks like. Someone is changing my avatar to Gamergate stuff within seconds of the farting fairy coming back. That I get to an extent - saying Milo is a prick somehow comes off as supporting him, but w/e - but this one is a total mystery.

E; haha, changed again. I hope they know I didn't choose the previous one. :v: That's 60 bucks in one week, wtf

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Feb 9, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

my guess would've been a bad video game opinion in a dark souls thread since that lady was in some concept art for demon souls

Baronjutter posted:

It's nice though to live somewhere where you can be in an amazing provincial park or island or all the places people like to camp but make it a day-trip instead. Or rent a cabin and hit a different forest every day. Best of both worlds really.

BC (i assume) is real neat like that :hf:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

The IOSM thread it looks like. Someone is changing my avatar to Gamergate stuff within seconds of the farting fairy coming back. That I get to an extent - saying Milo is a prick somehow comes off as supporting him, but w/e - but this one is a total mystery.

E; haha, changed again. I hope they know I didn't choose the previous one. :v: That's 60 bucks in one week, wtf

Man I wish people got that mad at me

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

sassassin posted:

But if you're going to explain why you dislike it, try to mention things that actually exist in the book, rather than just making stuff up.

That's fair. I just haven't read it in fifteen years. Or tried to read it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

poptart_fairy posted:

Really enjoying the sideshow here.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

The IOSM thread it looks like.

What is the IOSM thread?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Idiots On Social Media.

Das Boo posted:

Really enjoying the sideshow here.

I'm faintly impressed by the speed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sassassin posted:

Out of curiosity, what is a great chest exercise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Idiots On Social Media.

I'm faintly impressed by the speed.

*ahem ahem* Don't title your posts.