Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Eight thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MrBuddyLee posted:

Eight thumbs up.

You should probably let a doctor have a look at that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Qmass posted:

err the main guy actually doing stuff (that isn't "David"), throwing all the dudes and poo poo around gets shot through the shoulder and you see the wound... ?

plus I don't think zodiac with an old lady on it makes a convincing personality

I'm on board with the "crew is David's personalities/different powers" theory. The telekinetic guy who gets shot doesn't have a wound at all when you briefly see him on the beach standing next to everyone, not even a bullet hole in his clothing. David could have been shot there and had a personality/power to heal himself, and he just isn't aware that he's doing it. When you see someone physically interacting with a guard, he could be the one doing that part of the fighting. I don't think it quite meshes with how his powers are depicted in the comics, but he may be physically projecting these personalities into the world around him.

To me it's more interesting if some of them are his hallucinations, and some aren't. Like, maybe the people who show up to rescue him (the three by the pool) are real, but everything else that's happening is his powers just going ham on everyone trying to kill him and he hallucinates the different personalities doing those actions. Of course, it's not like it'll be bad if Bird is the only real person there either.

Very good pilot though, glad to see him out in the wild at the end of the episode.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 9, 2017

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm guessing the fat monster with yellow eyes is shadow king in which case this show is really going places :getin: episode was loving amazing especially the end sequence

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

people are saying the yellow fat monster is mojo but i think the show runner just wanted a cool looking monster so instead of shadow king being either a gross fat guy or a yellow eyed demon he is a combination of those. he seems to be in his own pseudo dimension only david can perceive so power wise it's v shadow king so far

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the deal with the mirrors/reflections?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just wanna say that was the best pilot I've ever seen since the Mr. Robot pilot.

This is Shutter Island mashed with Inception by way of Kubrick and :tviv:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

This show is extremely my poo poo so far. I hope they can keep it up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm wondering what the twist is, beyond the most obvious one suggested. The plot is actually extremely straight-forward beyond the amazing presentation once you parse what's happening.

Metalshark posted:

I was impressed with how compelling this was throughout despite an admirable commitment to being weird and obtuse plus it was so, so Pink Floyd even beyond the obvious name. The whole thing was channeling the isolation of The Wall or the rage of The Final Cut to me.

It's like watching a modern slick reimagining of every surreal 70s's/80's British show/movie/[thing].

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Dan Stevens is possibly my favorite actor in the world and this was awesome.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm wondering what the twist is, beyond the most obvious one suggested. The plot is actually extremely straight-forward beyond the amazing presentation once you parse what's happening.

It's really the presentation that matters above all else. Though everything else was good too.

e: Also, can I ask that no comic book spoilers be posted? This seems like the kind of show with lots of twists and details and I want them to hit me a full force, and probably so does everyone else who has no knowledge of the source material.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably only going to get characters, not storylines.

No X-men

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If you're digging Dan Stevens and haven't seen The Guest yet, go watch it right now.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Loved this a bunch. Can't wait to do a rewatch and figure out what the gently caress was going on.

Trailer for next week looks super expositiony which is a shame. Hope they keep the momentum going. I have faith in Hawley though.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's like watching a modern slick reimagining of every surreal 70s's/80's British show/movie/[thing].

It seems straight forward, except for answering how he left the mental ward in Syd's body, but later they both have their own bodies back and she's not in the ward. I think the explanation of however that happened is going to be the main reveal for what's actually going on. It's pretty obvious his memory of events is hosed.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I didn't understand a single loving thing that happened and have no clue what's going on.

Love it!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I love this weird world they've created in the show. Clearly has their technology above our present tech but with this weird 60s aesthetic. Fits the whole alternative X Men universe that they've talked about this being in.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
This was pretty great. It wasn't as extreme but some of the color schemes and general aesthetic reminded me of the criminally under-watched Utopia (UK show - not whatever US reality show).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm really into Evil Art Garfunkel

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

If you're digging Dan Stevens and haven't seen The Guest yet, go watch it right now.

It took me a while to get over the fact that he was yet again playing a character named David. I kept thinking back to his role in The Guest for the first half of the show, but he's doing so well as a totally different character that I think I'm over it now.

Can't wait until next week, goddamn what a good pilot.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm really into Evil Art Garfunkel

You mean the Soap Guy? Because that was clearly Evil Tom Waits.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 10, 2017

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i think the lead actor was the worst part of the pilot, and the best part was the filter of grain they put on for the "daytime" clockwork scenes

Hokey CGI at the end also kinda killed the mood

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the jane's addiction song that i couldn't remember the name of and it was bothering me all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brQ-EWzgEX0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The Guest rocked

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Le Saboteur posted:

I love this weird world they've created in the show. Clearly has their technology above our present tech but with this weird 60s aesthetic.

Has the time period been confirmed? I instantly thought that it must be the 70's with the wig Katie Aselton was wearing but didn't really think about it beyond that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Has the time period been confirmed? I instantly thought that it must be the 70's with the wig Katie Aselton was wearing but didn't really think about it beyond that.

It's intentionally not in any time period

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As I was just telling my wife "That sounds like a homage to 'Run'", and the next thing I hear is the name Syd Barrett. It was such an eureka moment that I can't fairly judge this show.

ArmZ posted:

the jane's addiction song that i couldn't remember the name of and it was bothering me all day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brQ-EWzgEX0

I called it the beginning of 'Ocean Size' when I heard it, but good to know the name now.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 10, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm having an old age crisis because I thought "Hah! Syd Barrett, nice reference if not a little too on the nose" and then I realized it may not be an obvious reference to you drat children watching this show get off my lawn

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nate fisher posted:

As I was just telling my wife "That sounds like a homage to 'Run'", and the next thing I hear is the name Syd Barrett. It was such an eureka moment that I can't fairly judge this show.

Medullah posted:

I'm having an old age crisis because I thought "Hah! Syd Barrett, nice reference if not a little too on the nose" and then I realized it may not be an obvious reference to you drat children watching this show get off my lawn

Mind explaining the context for us upstart millennials? What's the significance of the name Syd Barrett?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ViggyNash posted:

Mind explaining the context for us upstart millennials? What's the significance of the name Syd Barrett?

Pink Floyd member who went a little bit crazy. He was the inspiration for the song "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" and album "Wish you were here"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGE9Gi0bB0

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ViggyNash posted:

He was one of the original founders of Pink Floyd who went a little crazy. Also during that scene they were playing a homage to Pink Floyd's song 'On the Run' off Dark Side of the Moon. The song features what I always took as an airplane crash, but during the episode it was replaced with skateboard in the background.

Edit: As a long time Pink Floyd fan I do agree the name with that music in the background (although Syd was long gone by the time they got to DSOTM) was a little too on the nose. That said I'm ok with that since it was Pink Floyd.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 10, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

When David is getting interviewed by the man in the brown suit the guy has a distinctly high tech tablet computer that looks like a folder.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

X-Men without the same cast of characters and same storylines they keep rehashing over and over again is what I've been loving waiting for forever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

"We’ve got the time, right? It’s not a two-hour movie. It’s an 8- or a 10- or a 12-hour movie. Let’s tell the parts of the story that you couldn’t tell on the big screen. What is it really like to hear voices or to be able to move things with your mind or to think you can move things with your mind, but you’ve been hospitalized and they’ve been talking you out of the idea that you can actually move things with your mind. If there’s one thing that television doesn’t really do, and has never really done, is to tell a surreal story."

Is this a one-season series, or is there a plan to keep it going forever? I read somewhere that it plans to tie into the cinematic universe with maybe a cameo by Professor X, but the Fargo talk has me thinking it's a 8-12 hour movie and it'll have a satisfying ending. I don't have the endurance to watch a show that goes on and on and on way past where it should stop, especially when it starts out this good.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'm perfectly fine with no X-Men, but I also don't want X-Men clones who are the same as the X-Men except for the name. Like, for the first 40mins of the episode Syd was a carbon copy of Rogue.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

When David is getting interviewed by the man in the brown suit the guy has a distinctly high tech tablet computer that looks like a folder.

Yeah for a while I was kind of thinking that it might be set in the 70s or some poo poo, but that high tech tablet made me think modern day.

BJPaskoff posted:

Is this a one-season series, or is there a plan to keep it going forever? I read somewhere that it plans to tie into the cinematic universe with maybe a cameo by Professor X, but the Fargo talk has me thinking it's a 8-12 hour movie and it'll have a satisfying ending. I don't have the endurance to watch a show that goes on and on and on way past where it should stop, especially when it starts out this good.

Honestly I don't think it matters in this story. X-Men Movie Verse is pretty drat convoluted anyway

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

You read wrong. This is not connected to the movie universe at all. The producers confirmed it's entirely separate universe of its own. The new X-Men show on Fox from Matt Nix that's in pre-production now is the one that is tying into films.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

It's going to pull a Gotham in that the era will never seem defined: they have tablets, high tech guns and S.W.A.T. gear, but payphones and old vending machines for cherry pie too.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
how did they get the swimming pool filled so fast? huge plot hole there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

how did they get the swimming pool filled so fast? huge plot hole there.

In this show what is real and what is in his crazy rear end brain. For all we know at this point every character we have met is a different personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pretty sure swimming pools are just regular holes, nothing plotty about them.