Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

I went to school at Georgia Tech, and the lecture halls in the basement of the College of Computing Building were very underground. Once, during torrential rains, this exact thing happened and water was pouring out of the electrical outlets.

I thought the lower levels of the CCB was just a big sever farm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

What a lovely place to put a server.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bloody Pom posted:

What a lovely place to put a server.

decent cable management though.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bud K ninja sword posted:

That's because they have to sit there and look at it.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Phimosissy posted:

Jesus, it was scary how often people just wanted an adapter to connect totally bizarre unrelated things together.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

That's because it was always so nicely laid.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's because they have to sit there and look at it.

i dunno man that one on the bottom right would bug the poo poo out of me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Safety Dance posted:

I went to school at Georgia Tech, and the lecture halls in the basement of the College of Computing Building were very underground. Once, during torrential rains, this exact thing happened and water was pouring out of the electrical outlets.

For a school with a reputable engineering program, GT has a bunch of lovely construction. We used to joke that they never hired alumni because they'd get underbid by UGA grads.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

endlessmonotony posted:

Reporting someone for making bad repetitive jokes on Something Awful seems a bit pointless.

That used to be bannable on SA, posting retarded poo poo like "kill it with fire" or page sniping.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

That used to be bannable on SA, posting retarded poo poo like "kill it with fire" or page sniping.

I'm always a little scared to get in on the repetitive jokes, and I'm waaaay too scared to report one of them. I don't know which way it is now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have an Enrique to report repetitive jokes for you

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just report all my own posts immediately after posting them. It's the only way to be sure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

there wolf posted:

I thought the lower levels of the CCB was just a big sever farm?

Klaus, maybe. I'm talkin' about this building:

If you go down the stairs to the left of the bicycles, there's a few different lecture halls, some offices, and some Chemistry classrooms if I remember correctly.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nakatomi Plaza?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Klaus, maybe. I'm talkin' about this building:

If you go down the stairs to the left of the bicycles, there's a few different lecture halls, some offices, and some Chemistry classrooms if I remember correctly.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, the Herringbone building on old campus. Must have gotten it confused with something else.

You weren't in school in 2009, were you?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

i dunno man that one on the bottom right would bug the poo poo out of me.
That's a feature.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

there wolf posted:

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of, the Herringbone building on old campus. Must have gotten it confused with something else.

You weren't in school in 2009, were you?

I skipped spring of '09, but I was at Tech from '07-'12.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I really want that to be functional.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is that USB -> PS/2 -> Serial as VGA -> DVI?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is that USB -> PS/2 -> Serial as VGA -> DVI?

Nope. Serial to parallel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not sure but there's a PS/2 slot just to the left of it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

cakesmith handyman posted:

Not sure but there's a PS/2 slot just to the left of it.

And a USB next to that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Where's your sense of adventure?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Nope. Serial to parallel.

Yeah, I was hoping it was a DB25 serial (which means there would hope it was functional), but the color coding on the back panel, not to mention the gender changer, really point to parallel port.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How did you find a picture of the local hackerspace??

I'm joking, the bathroom is too fancy to be the hackerspace.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My local makerspace had a situation almost exactly like that. They converted the old women's bathroom into a temporary storage room for about a year until the membership grew to the point that having 2 bathrooms was a good thing so they removed the servers and re-did the bathroom.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ours failed within a year.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HardDiskD posted:

Ours failed within a year.

Your bathroom?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hear that can happen if you forget to put in all the waterproofing layers.

Where I work there's a server rack right next to the sink. The sink also has a sign not to drink the water, because it's still on old lead pipes.

Actually, the bathroom situation at my place of work isn't great, period. It's a listed building and you get to choose between bathrooms that are heated or bathrooms that have hot water. Not a great place to have a poo poo in the winter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually, the bathroom situation at my place of work isn't great, period. It's a listed building and you get to choose between bathrooms that are heated or bathrooms that have hot water. Not a great place to have a poo poo in the winter.

Heated, especially for № 2. Hot water takes too long to come out of the pipes anyway so I don’t always wash my hand with it even when it’s available.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/Na9jGYR.gifv

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Your bathroom?

I will leave that open for interpretation.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ad infinitum
ad naseum

It's like the shuffle you do wen someone's on the wrong side of the hallway, and you both try to move, and end up getting back in each other's way repeatedly.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HardDiskD posted:

I will leave that open for interpretation.

Don't poo poo on the soldering irons.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

I skipped spring of '09, but I was at Tech from '07-'12.

Then I'm going to hazard a guess that the outlet shower was fall of '09 when we had that 500-year, record-breaking flood. I don't think it's possible to waterproof a basement against that much water short of building your house on a submarine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That sounds about right. It was fun to watch. There was a brief debate over whether it was okay to stand in the puddle that was forming by the whiteboard.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How does that even happen? There doesn't seem to be enough "stuff" for the person to have gone through a floor. Maybe an unfinished attic type thing where you have to walk along the joists, and he didn't?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

How does that even happen? There doesn't seem to be enough "stuff" for the person to have gone through a floor. Maybe an unfinished attic type thing where you have to walk along the joists, and he didn't?

That looks like some insulation coming out of the whole next to them, so it's an attic. My dad did that once and fell straight through.

Luckily the couch broke his fall; unluckily he broke the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Facebook Aunt posted:

When I worked for an ISP, I thought the same thing too. It only takes one misstep to put your leg through the attic floor. The particular attic was mostly finished with no balancing act required too.