Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for January, 2017?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (FORMER WWE Champion) 25 21.19%
:hurr: John Cena (WWE Champion) 20 16.95%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Smackdown Women's Champion) 14 11.86%
:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) 5 4.24%
:hai: Kyle O'Reilly (FORMER ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) 6 5.08%
:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion): 0 0%
:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) 0 0%
:shibe: Eddie Edwards (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.85%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 46 38.98%
:yikes: So This Is 2017, eh? (None of the Above) 1 0.85%
Total: 118 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The first month of 2017 is already over, and it's time again to see who was Rowdy Ringsports' Pro-Wrestling Champion for the month. Last year, for only the second time we got a 2-time Champion of the Year in AJ Styles (CM Punk has won 3 times). It was a fantastic first year in WWE for AJ Styles and he dominated the back half of the year in polling and had the most dominant percentage victory of any recorded Champion of the Year to date.

As always, Champions are mostly chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. There is no hard and fast rule for what qualifies as an "eligible" Champion because that way madness lies - we'd either have 4 poll options or 45. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish. The IWGP Intercontinental Champion is no longer included on the poll.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:human being: AJ Styles (FORMER WWE Champion) - After months of domination and winning the Champ of the Year poll, this may be the last chance to vote for AJ. After a build that included being dismissed as "just a guy" despite being Champion, AJ had an absolutely incredible match with John Cena at the Royal Rumble. Cena came out on top but even he had to admit AJ was more than just "a guy" after having to throw everything he had and more to finally beat him.

:hurr: John Cena (WWE Champion) - Delivering yet another incredible match, Cena finally matched Ric Flair's (WWE Official) number of title reigns. When an Avalanche AA couldn't put down AJ, Cena followed up with an AA rolled into another just to make absolutely sure. Already booked into an Elimination Chamber match with Styles, Bray Wyatt, Baron Corbin, The Miz & Dean Ambrose it seems like he has a tough month ahead of him. Even if he gets past them, Rumble winner Randy Orton is waiting in the wings.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Alexa Bliss had a decisive end to her feud with Becky when "La Luchadora" was revealed to be Mickie James. With Becky now obsessed with revenge on Mickie, Alexa has had some trouble dealing with Naomi who she initially dismissed as a nobody. Naomi ended January with two wins over Alexa and pushing heavily for a title match.

:kakashi: Io Shirai (World of Stardom Champion) - After defending her title against her former stablemate Mayu Iwatani, January was a bit of a cooldown month for Io Shirai. Despite spending most of the month teaming with Queen's Quest stablemates HZK and Moto Watanabe, Shirai did successfully defend her title against the gaijin Viper in a match that was solid but unspectacular for her (so, still one of the best matches of the month). Is that enough to bring her votes above the MOTYCs that bookended the month? Thanks to Senerio

:hai: Kyle O'Reilly (FORMER ROH World Champion) - With his contract up and questions over whether he would sign another, O'Reilly went to Tokyo for Wrestle Kingdom 11 where he defended the belt against former Champ Adam Cole. His loss to Cole cemented the idea in people's minds that Kyle was done with ROH.

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - Despite his arrogant proclamations before his Tokyo Dome match, even Cole looked shocked when he beat O'Reilly to regain the ROH World Title. Since then he has defended the belt in a 3-way match against Jay Lethal and El Ligero at a WCPW show.

Kevin Owens (WWE Universal Champion) - Owens went to every effort to try and prevent having to have a one-on-one match with Roman Reigns but seemed doomed. Chris Jericho was locked in a shark cage and suspended over the ring at their Royal Rumble match. But assistance from Braun Strowman meant Owens was able to get the win. Braun called in the debt though when he demanded his title shot the next night on Raw, only for Roman to cost him the match as well. Owens ended up Speared and left laying... but still the Universal Champion.

:c00l: Johnny Mundo (Lucha Underground Champion): - Lucha Underground has taken a surprise "mid-season" break, taking away whatever momentum had been building for the All Night Long (long since taped) match between him and The Mack. This will be the last chance for a while to vote for Mundo, until the "break" finishes and Season 3 continues on.

:troll: Charlotte (WWE Women's Champion) - Charlotte retained her title in a match against Bayley at the Royal Rumble. There was no controversy or surprises, she pretty much just beat her to continue her undefeated on PPV run. Continuing her less than stellar TV run however, she was pinned by Bayley the next night on Raw in a mixed tag match.

:shibe: Eddie Edwards (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Eddie had fought Lashley to no-contests through the end of 2016. At the Genesis PPV to kick off TNA in 2017 (now under new management at last), a definitive ending was finally found as Eddie and Lashley fought in an Iron Man match... and Lashley won.

:anime: Bobby Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - With his title back, Lashley will have to face not only Eddie in a rematch, but the likes of Jeff Hardy and even wrestler/MMA fighter/color commentator Josh Barnett. The matches have happened but have not yet aired.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - After a quiet end to the year, Okada once again delivered a MOTYC to open the year at NJPW's Wrestle Kingdom. Not just any MOTYC though, this was one of only two (and the first official?) matches to ever be awarded Six Stars by Dave Meltzer. A phenomenal match against Kenny Omega saw Okada just barely come out on top, having successfully avoided Kenny's One Winged Angel. With Omega defeated though, Okada and his CHAOS faction ran afoul of the returning Suzuki-Gun, with Minoru Suzuki sauntering down to choke out Okada as he tried fighting off the entire faction by himself. With the likes of Suzuki coming for him in February, and Omega and his One Winged Angel still out there, are Okada's days numbered?

:yikes: So This Is 2017, eh? (None of the Above) - If you were hoping for better from 2017 but it's already letting you down, or you just want to see the results, vote none of the above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cena will probably win but my vote goes to Okada, Omega didn't make that match by himself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Considered AJ because his reign was so good. Considered Cena because the match was so good.

Went with Okada because his reign is so good and the match was so good!

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

It's my privilege to vote for AJ Styles for the last time in what hopefully isn't a very long time :unsmith:

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
i voted cena because cena/styles was better than okada/omega

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cena has never won this poll. His Time Is NOW.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

schweens posted:

i voted cena because cena/styles was better than okada/omega

Five and three quarters

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lets go cena

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Good news! Cena can win in Feb

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I voted for Cena because WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Golashes posted:

Good news! Cena can win in Feb

Eh, I suspect I'm going to be voting for Okada (OR MINORU SUZUKI) in February. As much as I'm looking forward to the Chamber Match, I'm not expecting John to put on the kind of month he had in January. His match was awesome and he was consistently super exciting in all the segments building toward it. As was AJ. If AJ hadn't won a poo poo ton in a row and also Champ Of The Year I might be voting for him, but even despite that I honestly think Big Match John earned it just a pinch more between them. Especially considering that this title win was Historic 16. It just feels like Cena's moment.

Edit: For the record, I'm not voting for Okada because as amazing as that match was and as much as the right guy won, when talking about the month as a whole building up to it I feel like Kenny knocked it out of the park by comparison.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Yeah i mean clearly Omega carried Okada's lazy rear end in that match. The gently caress did he do? Tanahashi would've been better. That would have been seven stars.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the champ is here

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Tough month. However, kiss the stars bitch. Rainmaker

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Lid posted:

Yeah i mean clearly Omega carried Okada's lazy rear end in that match. The gently caress did he do? Tanahashi would've been better. That would have been seven stars.

I did specifically say the build, not the match. In fact, I said the right guy won the match.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not voting this month, waiting for The Miz to win teh Elimination Chamber so I can vote for him next time.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I voted AJ Styles again with Alexa Bliss a close second.

I like how AJ Styles seems like a real champ who doesn't always rely on shenanigans like Kevin Owens. I like Kevin Owens and Jericho as champ duos, but I feel AJ Styles is better.

Alexa Bliss is still my favorite women's division wrestler compared to the rest on Smackdown and Raw. I like Alexa better than Charlotte. Charlotte promos suck pretty bad compared to Alexa. I do appreciate Charlotte's in ring wrestling ability, but her feuds with Sasha and Bayley are pretty boring. My biggest beef with Alexa this month is that it seems like she's been having to take a backseat to Nikki Bella and Natalya. Then she keeps getting her rear end pinned by everyone. Hopefully February will be better for her and hopefully she'll keep the title all the way up to Wrestlemania.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I was looking down the list and at first I was tempted by AJ because he's had a pretty stellar month. But then I saw that at the very bottom was Okada, who had one of the best matches of all time earlier in the month. Time flies! Okada/Omega was another level and it was an easy choice.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Las Io-gobernables numero uno

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Okada was in the best match so he's the best champion.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Voted for Alexa because I like predicting who's gonna win based on people who post here, then was reminded by the voting that WK11 happened in January

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The champ is back

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sasha as champion of the month is loving stupid.

Dicember was your month Alexa :(

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

John Cena was in the best match so he's the best champion.

(Actually I voted AJ)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Look at Okada winning because of that split vote. God drat two-party politics!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Okada by a mile. He seriously deserved that win, and although I'll be happy to see him lose to Suzuki in Sapporo (please make it happen) he's quite possibly my favourite wrestler in the world right now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lack of Owens votes makes no sense, he is the man! Plus nutty run-in finish aside, he was like a human freight train in that match against Reigns. And he's a great friend.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

(Actually I voted AJ)

Dont misquote me! Fake news is an epidemic and must be crushed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still a day to go, don't forget to vote!

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
One day Cena will win.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There is still time to vote if you haven't. Okada has the lead but it would be interesting to see how things would have gone if WWE only had one top men's title.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another January, another Okada win as Wrestle Kingdom yet again delivered perhaps the best match of the year before the year had barely begun. John Cena and AJ Styles combined still would have fallen a vote short, even if you added in Kevin Owens results as well the split between the two probably still would have seen them fail to keep up with Okada, who ended WWE's 7 month streak as Champ of the Month.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lets do retroactive votes for 2008

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nobody winning in october 2015 is a hilarious reminder of how awful Seth's run as champ was

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

march would be morishima, dunno about jan/feb off top of my head

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alain Post posted:

nobody winning in october 2015 is a hilarious reminder of how awful Seth's run as champ was

Bayley won that month :confused:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

In all seriousness, the polls are really useful as a snapshot of a moment in time for the forums (and wrestling I guess) and it would be near impossible to get back into the mindset to vote how we would have at the time without the benefit of hindsight. If we did retroactive polls in 2010 just as an example, I doubt Kane would win as many months as he did and Miz probably wouldn't win Champ of the Year, but that IS how we were thinking at the time!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

just put an asterisk on those months and say the polls were done later. its not like there were any real outlier candidates that would do way better now, orton, edge and nigel were all stable title-holders for those three months iirc and also won months in the immediate proximity

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you could almost interpolate the vote counts for orton, angle and nigel since all of them were having long reigns so you have data on the neighboring months. edge won in it mid-december and lost it on the last day of march. the ecw belt went from punk to chavo to kane but chavo wasn't gonna win anyway nor were any other any promotions' champs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are the 2007 threads in the archive or anything

• Locked thread