Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

glorious schadenfreude...

I almost hate the people who let fuckwits like that in more than the fuckwit themselves. Being selfish is human nature, but not standing up for what's right and blocking that motherfucker as hard as possible so that they're forced to miss their exit or smash into the loving gore-point is unforgivable. People wouldn't try that poo poo if everyone else presented a united front and stonewalled the hell out of them. Preventing that is literally the only acceptable excuse for tailgating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

kastein posted:

Montvale, the asshats at the 90-95 interchange (where I got shot at!), and the clusterfuck that is the woburn 93/95 interchange are basically 99 of the 100 horrible things I have to deal with, yes.

:agreed:

only since ur coming from the other direction i doubt u regularly have to get on I-93S from 128S which in certain times/conditions can be demanding like landing on an aircraft carrier.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I almost hate the people who let fuckwits like that in more than the fuckwit themselves. Being selfish is human nature, but not standing up for what's right and blocking that motherfucker as hard as possible so that they're forced to miss their exit or smash into the loving gore-point is unforgivable. People wouldn't try that poo poo if everyone else presented a united front and stonewalled the hell out of them. Preventing that is literally the only acceptable excuse for tailgating.

i really don't do things like letting ppl pull out in front of me or anything similiar to that anymore because tbh most ppl aren't paying attention (or just simply baffled) and looking at me whenever i try to give them an indication w/ high beams to go ahead - and instead it often creates dangerous conditions for urself. it's also a bad habit cause idiots think being kind and generous = being a good driver, when instead they often indicate to other idiots who believe just cause some other idiot is flashing them to go ahead that they then have cart blanche to ignore all the traffic approaching from the opposite direction

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 9, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Mariana Horchata posted:

:agreed:

only since ur coming from the other direction i doubt u regularly have to get on I-93S from 128S which in certain times/conditions can be demanding like landing on an aircraft carrier.

Holy poo poo. This. I know it's a fairly typical cloverleaf interchange, but somehow it's literally the worst one I've ever encountered in my life. Taking that exit forces you to cross HEAVY entering/exiting traffic in the space of about 200 feet twice.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Holy poo poo. This. I know it's a fairly typical cloverleaf interchange, but somehow it's literally the worst one I've ever encountered in my life. Taking that exit forces you to cross HEAVY entering/exiting traffic in the space of about 200 feet twice.

yeah when it comes to that section im like ayn rand behind the wheel.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
or a dive bomber pilot

I'm kinda surprised how few accidents ive ever seen there but that's prob because they would occur at low speeds and cars involved would likely move up and pull onto the grass between 128S and the onramp from 93S.

on the flipside, the way too long for no apparent reason on ramp from 93N onto 128N is also especially grating at times (the section with the concrete rumble strip separating you from the right most lane on 128N because...tbh i dont have a fkn clue - i should actually ask my dad as they would prob kno the exact reason) but mostly only when u have slow moving traffic in front of you that will likely slow down even more the closer they get to the end of the ramp...but if it's like 2AM it's a blast - as are most if not all the other ramps at that interchange so long as MSP isnt hanging around looking for drunks.

and w/r/t the aircraft carrier metaphor - 2/3rd of the on-ramps on old 128 (north of the 95 split) require u to proceed as if u were taking off from an aircraft carrier (at least if u know how to drive instead of just stopping on the ramp with mouth agape staring at all the cars going by until there's no more cars coming which means u can go + bonus moron points if said other driver is driving something approaching 300hp or more and nothing dangerously slow like a 1.6L Miata or a 190E that isnt in the mood for a kickdown)... :hai:

tl;dr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPrgLRrKEXQ

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 9, 2017

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

kastein posted:

YES IT DID CATCH IT. I wish I had my rearview dashcam hooked up for this, I'd sound slightly less schizophrenic that way.

As for living with this commute, welp, it sucks. It's getting worse, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzwo1KzdtTY

Alternate title "Ken achieves release"

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
poo poo that makes my eye twitch:

-dipshits that decide to right turn on red when i'm in the intersection with a green light

-dipshits that slow down to a drat near stop approaching a green light

-dipshits that slam on their brakes AND THEN turn on their turn signal. poo poo would be okay if they hit the signal and then slowed down...

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Just thought I'd throw this out there- last week I saw two people driving questionable cars. One had their DRLs on with no taillights, and the other had a flat rear tire. Rolled down my window and got their attention, and they listened politely. The lights guy even got his lights turned on proper.
They aren't all scum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1fOyZJAzQ

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

That's how I want to be memorialized - with a massive vinyl decal on the back of a car driven by a complete rear end in a top hat.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From the OSHA thread:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Insurance fraud? Looks more like road rage.

I loving hate people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvPdv-_AGY
So I have lights, I'm wearing yellow, goddamn reflective shoes, and in a bike lane. Also he passed me, so it isn't like he couldn't have seen me.
When the video starts, I just noticed his turn signal on, know exactly what is happening and brake. If I don't brake, I'm embedded in a prius rear door at 17mph or something.
Admittedly, this happens like every day, but he had a company car, so I saved it and sent it to them.

This, by the way, is why cyclists are always so angry. If 3000lb killing machines were gunning for you while you were in your own specially designated lane, you'd be pissed as well.

edit: This camera is awesome though. Got his plate number, which is actually better than my car dash cam does at night.

nm fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 9, 2017

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Ripoff posted:

vigilantes with black spray paint get on them soon.

My first thought. Wire cutters are good too if you take a length out and not just snip.

Also led banks should be the exception to the "don't gently caress with a guy's ride" rule.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

From the OSHA thread:

I guess someone called for a taxi.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Powered Descent posted:

From the OSHA thread:

Look at him fly through traffic!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nah, that's just typical OC drivers.

Actually surprised those inner brake lights on the trunk lid aren't white. Do they come clear from the factory and people don't put in red bulbs? Or does the sunlight age them clear? I almost never see red brakes lights on those Lexuses.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's actually really difficult and expensive to make a red, UV stable dye. For some reason, Lexus (and those Impalas) always have those lenses sun baked clear. Nobody cheaps out on the brake lenses, but everyone does on those rear inner ones.

They're always so close to white that I thought they were rear fogs. In fact, I didn't know rear fogs were a thing until recently, and then I always pictured those when they came up in discussion here, because they're always white.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I've seen this rear end in a top hat more than a handful of times, and they drive like that EVERY time.

FogHelmut posted:

Actually surprised those inner brake lights on the trunk lid aren't white. Do they come clear from the factory and people don't put in red bulbs? Or does the sunlight age them clear? I almost never see red brakes lights on those Lexuses.

Depends on the year. Pre-facelift models had definite fading issues with the lenses while later models didn't have the issue.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I've seen this rear end in a top hat more than a handful of times, and they drive like that EVERY time.

I'm going to have to look out for that guy next time I go up that way.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to have to look out for that guy next time I go up that way.

I usually encounter him up around the 5/57/22 interchange, but have run into him on the 405/55 a couple of times too. I think the vanity plate + rear window sticker makes it easier to remember them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hey, I've seen that guy too!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ripoff posted:

Regarding light bars - I see loving minivans running light bars here in Georgia now, the most recent one today sporting a lovely US-license-plate-sized install that was aimed upward towards traffic from a mount on the front bumper. As I'm riding in a bitch car for pussy men (Mini Cooper) and I'm not sitting 6 feet off the ground like everyone else on the road, I got treated to an eye full of light bar on the way home.

I'm surprised that seems so unusual. My sister bought a new Toyota Avensis station wagon and had a pair of LED lights installed on the dealership. Of course they only work with high beams, but at least they can be improved since high beams are mediocre on almost all cars. Extra high beams are almost standard feature in northern Finland.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
These are the truckers you used to share the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Phanatic posted:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Interesting that my cheapo cams won't trigger below 15 degrees, otherwise I'd have footage of the guy 'legally' running a red light to get in front of me this morning.

Right-on-red to "u-turn" to right-on-green, except my light turned green in the middle of his maneuver. I would have ended up in back in front of him but held off, wasn't interested in getting tailgated even harder. I was doing 35 in a 30 zone where I'd previously caught a $230 ticket for doing 40, so they can suck it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Phanatic posted:

What do you have against Aquatrucking? Just another paid shill for Big Dry Transport!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

dee eight posted:

Also led banks should be the exception to the "don't gently caress with a guy's ride" rule.

I saw the LED light bar taken to a new level this morning.

Semi truck driving West on I-10 had a full width bar mounted on the leading edge of the top... of the trailer. Guess blinding drivers on normal roads wasn't enough so he figured out how to blind oncoming traffic on the interstate even when there is a fairly tall concrete divider. Well done douchebag, well done.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

The Locator posted:

I saw the LED light bar taken to a new level this morning.

Semi truck driving West on I-10 had a full width bar mounted on the leading edge of the top... of the trailer. Guess blinding drivers on normal roads wasn't enough so he figured out how to blind oncoming traffic on the interstate even when there is a fairly tall concrete divider. Well done douchebag, well done.

Again something that doesn't sound unusual. Bunch of high beams on top of semitruck cabin is a standard feature.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saukkis posted:

Again something that doesn't sound unusual. Bunch of high beams on top of semitruck cabin is a standard feature.

That's a euro truck, though. We don't do that cab-over thing here much at all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also I'm guessing both Euro drivers and law enforcement obey/enforce headlight laws. Here you'd pretty much have to be shining an air raid spot light into opposing traffic before the police would do anything about it, and illegal lighting is rampant pretty much everywhere you go.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cindy Shitbird posted:

That's a euro truck, though. We don't do that cab-over thing here much at all.

Replace them with air horns, then it would be cool.

Thankfully the LED bar lights haven't really caught on around in my neck of the woods. I have enough problems with idiots and hi-beams.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Laying on horns and beams while driving at 90 4:00 in the morning in quaint villages... Great game. :allears:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

It's a new trend. 2nd time this week: Semi truck hauling apples crashes into Columbia River

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
How are high beams even a thing anymore? Regular lights are pretty goddamn bright nowadays. Vehicles intended for road use shouldn't even have the option. You don't need to see the goddamn treetops when youre driving around. I only ever use mine to indicate when some oncoming dickheads needs to turn his off.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The lows on my 2015 base WRX are loving shameful and should not have been allowed to go into production that way. If I'm on a lit highway at night, I cannot actually tell they are on at all. I'm currently looking for an HID transplant but at the same time people gently caress up aftermarket headlights all the time and I don't really want to be associated with that crowd.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

um excuse me posted:

The lows on my 2015 base WRX are loving shameful and should not have been allowed to go into production that way. If I'm on a lit highway at night, I cannot actually tell they are on at all. I'm currently looking for an HID transplant but at the same time people gently caress up aftermarket headlights all the time and I don't really want to be associated with that crowd.

Do you have a base or premium? I have a 17 Limited with the LED headlights and they're wonderful. By contrast the high beams were garbage until I swapped them out for LED bulbs. I need high beams out where I live, the country in Wisconsin, because there are deer everywhere and the high beams give you sometimes 2 extra seconds of warning.

Anyways check subispeed and see if they have any good LED headlight kits. I bought a bunch from them but not the low beams.

Edit: hurf you said base right there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

theres a will theres moe posted:

How are high beams even a thing anymore? Regular lights are pretty goddamn bright nowadays. Vehicles intended for road use shouldn't even have the option. You don't need to see the goddamn treetops when youre driving around. I only ever use mine to indicate when some oncoming dickheads needs to turn his off.

They are extremely useful in the country where there are no street lamps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, on dark rural roads high beams are the only thing keeping deer out of your grill.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

shortspecialbus posted:

Do you have a base or premium? I have a 17 Limited with the LED headlights and they're wonderful. By contrast the high beams were garbage until I swapped them out for LED bulbs. I need high beams out where I live, the country in Wisconsin, because there are deer everywhere and the high beams give you sometimes 2 extra seconds of warning.

Anyways check subispeed and see if they have any good LED headlight kits. I bought a bunch from them but not the low beams.

Edit: hurf you said base right there.

Though it's not as bad in the high beam position assuming you're using them properly since no one but you will be affected, "plug and play" LEDs are bad for the same reason "plug and play" HIDs are. The reflectors weren't designed for the light pattern the bulb emits.

A good bright halogen bulb will likely get you a better beam even though it may not look as bright on the eye equivalent of the rear end dyno. The uncontrolled beam from a conversion kit usually gives you a brighter than necessary foreground which looks good from the driver's seat but is less useful light than putting more of that in to the distance.

The only correct way to change bulb type is to also change the optics. If you want LED you have to install LED optics, whether that's an upgrade to the OEM units or retrofitting parts intended for another vehicle.

And yea, living in rural Ohio high beams are life at night. If you live and drive in a city where there are always street lights I could see how you might not understand their purpose, but when you have to deal with the idiots we call deer it's a different story

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Right, I meant get one of the complete kits that change everything. Not a LED bulb in a halogen reflector. gently caress that.