Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Oh boy. We have over 7,000 5508's in production effected. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Prescription Combs posted:

Oh boy. We have over 7,000 5508's in production effected. :gonk:

What the unholy gently caress

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Kazinsal posted:

Probably works at a big hosting provider or colo or something, like me, though as far as I've heard we only have a handful of 5508-Xs in use; we mostly pushed people to the 5515-X as our entry level. Whatever the case, godspeed, 5508 guy. Godspeed.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Home depot has a gigantic wifi deployment, maybe that's it.

edit: scratch that wifi talk, thought he was referring to the WLC for some reason

Also there's a rumor that the 6800 will have an early EOL and nexus will become a datacenter and campus switch. Sucks to those who bought in.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 10, 2017

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Heard the same from a rep in the federal space a few months ago. Told us that 6500 and 6800 was getting abandoned sooner rather than later.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
To be honest if you are a mid-level network engineer why would you EVER have bought into the "6800" in the first place?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Dedicated hosting.

They're the new 'low-end' high throughput firewall my company offers to customers since the 5510-5550's are EOL.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

To be honest if you are a mid-level network engineer why would you EVER have bought into the "6800" in the first place?

When does a mid-level engineer ever have say in the purchase?

You probably got them for a refresh if Cisco had a sweet bundle price for them at any point

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sepist posted:

When does a mid-level engineer ever have say in the purchase?

You probably got them for a refresh if Cisco had a sweet bundle price for them at any point

Well when my Cisco SE was pitching the 6800's to refresh our Datacenter 6509's I laughed at him as a mid-level engineer, and we went with Nexus instead. The final say wasn't mine, but my laughter was taken into consideration.

For access, we went 4510's IIRC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Sepist posted:

Home depot has a gigantic wifi deployment, maybe that's it.

edit: scratch that wifi talk, thought he was referring to the WLC for some reason

Also there's a rumor that the 6800 will have an early EOL and nexus will become a datacenter and campus switch. Sucks to those who bought in.

Can confirm.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If you were building out a new small datacenter environment, would you go with two independent 10Gbe switches and use nsx or something similar to build layer two overlays, would you go with a chassis switch like a 9k, or would you do two independent 10Gbe switches and use mlag or VPC? I know leaf spine and layer 2 overlay is the new hotness, but I don't want to do something unnecessary here.

Assume the following:

12 VMware hosts (6 for VDI and 6 for server virtualization)
2 HA SANs, and 4-5 metro ethernet carriers
No more than 25% growth over the next 5 years
We do a lot of virtual routing already with VyOS/quagga

I know this is a complicated question, I'm just looking for some general thoughts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NSX is a pretty expensive solution for 12 VM hosts and no real need for microsegmentation.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

NSX is a pretty expensive solution for 12 VM hosts and no real need for microsegmentation.

I thought vmware recently dropped the price considerably, is it still pretty expensive even after that?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

More expensive than just using 9ks like you mentioned, yes. I don't see what benefit you would get from NSX in an environment that small unless you're trying to meet strict security requirements or are hosting multiple subsidiaries' applications and environments that need to be kept separate in ways that the traditional DC network you detailed cannot.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 11, 2017

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

More expensive than just using 9ks like you mentioned, yes. I don't see what benefit you would get from NSX in an environment that small unless you're trying to meet strict security requirements or are hosting multiple subsidiaries' applications and environments that need to be kept separate in ways that the traditional DC network you detailed cannot.
That's actually what I wanted to hear. I was mostly worried that I was considering "the old way" when I should have been looking at the newer poo poo instead. Good to know that some designs are timeless.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I love neat next generation networking poo poo as much as the next guy, but sometimes networking is just networking and all you need is a non-blocking 10GB switch that can do fabricpath or TRILL. Or none of that because most of the time traditional L2 networking is sufficient.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

psydude posted:

I love neat next generation networking poo poo as much as the next guy, but sometimes networking is just networking and all you need is a non-blocking 10GB switch that can do fabricpath or TRILL. Or none of that because most of the time traditional L2 networking is sufficient.

Really don't even need fabricpath or trill. EVPN is pretty much supported on every vendor now and gets you the same sort of capability.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The 6800/6500 platform is basically the cornerstone of the enterprise product line. The NEXUS code is no where near as stable or feature-complete to be a drop-in replacement.

The 6500 was - and is, still - the swiss army knife of the networking world, it does everything at a reasonable price. If they discontinued that product line I have no idea what's going on at CISCO but it's bad.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

abigserve posted:

The 6800/6500 platform is basically the cornerstone of the enterprise product line. The NEXUS code is no where near as stable or feature-complete to be a drop-in replacement.

The 6500 was - and is, still - the swiss army knife of the networking world, it does everything at a reasonable price. If they discontinued that product line I have no idea what's going on at CISCO but it's bad.

The 6k's been around since 1999, it's time to let go. They tried to keep it relevant by ditching classic bus and doubling up on fabric channels (hooray, now you have DFCs everywhere which doubles line card costs) but as a flagship product it's days are numbered unless they do a ground up rebuild (and at that point just make a new product and be done with it). VSS is inferior to vPC, and routing BU withdrew their support for the platform when they moved to ezchip and doubled down on the 9k. If they do replace it, I imagine we'll see something built primarily around merchant silicon with a custom ASIC for features, but DC switching has a few years on them in that department.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
I am hoping someone can help me identify this cable? I think it's a 10 gigabit cable but I am looking for a link; it's from Foxconn. Unfortunately their website isn't searchable and when I find images from other sites they are not depicted exactly as what I have here.

http://imgur.com/a/K1QJU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

QSFP?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Correct

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like SFF-8088 SAS to me. Some stuff uses it to stack.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

kripes posted:

I am hoping someone can help me identify this cable? I think it's a 10 gigabit cable but I am looking for a link; it's from Foxconn. Unfortunately their website isn't searchable and when I find images from other sites they are not depicted exactly as what I have here.

http://imgur.com/a/K1QJU

Latches look like SFF-8088 as Ants says, SFF-8661 (QSFP+) has retention clips on the sides.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
Thanks so much!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ragzilla posted:

The 6k's been around since 1999, it's time to let go. They tried to keep it relevant by ditching classic bus and doubling up on fabric channels (hooray, now you have DFCs everywhere which doubles line card costs) but as a flagship product it's days are numbered unless they do a ground up rebuild (and at that point just make a new product and be done with it). VSS is inferior to vPC, and routing BU withdrew their support for the platform when they moved to ezchip and doubled down on the 9k. If they do replace it, I imagine we'll see something built primarily around merchant silicon with a custom ASIC for features, but DC switching has a few years on them in that department.

VPC better than VSS? Whaaaat

If you're just using it as a switch then yeah the 7k is better but the 6800/6500 is (or was, at least) far superior as a routing platform which is what made it so desirable.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Ethernet is so ubiquitously deployed that there's only need for switches to do dumb transport. Everything else can be done on hosts.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Good luck doing your edge routing on hosts without asic for forwarding.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

abigserve posted:

If you're just using it as a switch then yeah the 7k is better but the 6800/6500 is (or was, at least) far superior as a routing platform which is what made it so desirable.

To each his own, but you're still using a switching-oriented platform to do routing and you're stuck on classic IOS to boot. If I wanted a modular router I'd be looking at something like ASR 1000 or 9000.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

abigserve posted:

I thought the 4500 was supposed to replace the 6500 for Enterprise LAN Switching. Or was there some kind of inter-BU fuckery that torpedoed that idea?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

To each his own, but you're still using a switching-oriented platform to do routing and you're stuck on classic IOS to boot. If I wanted a modular router I'd be looking at something like ASR 1000 or 9000.

I agree, but if I'm not mistaken the price of the ASR range is orders of magnitude higher.

edit: just looked, and yeah an ASR eclipses the 6800 line in price. An ASR1004 without any linecards or licensing any of the 10G ports costs over twice as much as a 6840.

abigserve fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 14, 2017

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite

falz posted:

Not disagreeing, that's where Jericho/Dune shines... but it's still a commodity Ethernet chipset. No magic here.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Philistines. I use IPTables and Snort and a bunch of custom Perl scripts as my perimeter security because why would I spend my organization's money on Big Networking's solution and a support contract. Check and mate.

:smug:

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 14, 2017

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

abigserve posted:

I agree, but if I'm not mistaken the price of the ASR range is orders of magnitude higher.

edit: just looked, and yeah an ASR eclipses the 6800 line in price. An ASR1004 without any linecards or licensing any of the 10G ports costs over twice as much as a 6840.

Sure, the ASRs go a lot higher but there are closer alternatives to be used for this example like an ASR9001. Not that they're directly comparable anyway, the 6840 has more port density, but I was mainly just lamenting using a classic IOS platform at this point.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

Philistines. I use IPTables and Snort and a bunch of custom Perl scripts as my perimeter security because why would I spend my organization's money on Big Networking's solution and a support contract. Check and mate.

We use VyOS pretty heavily, and it works great. We still have fortigates for perimeter firewall, but do our BGP exchange on VyOS (and have for years).

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a small foreign child route all my packets by hand, he's pretty efficient though

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Sepist posted:

I have a small foreign child route all my packets by hand, he's pretty efficient though

Possible if you use card stock.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

falz posted:

Good luck running a 6500 in the DFZ doing anything other than vanilla v4.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

abigserve posted:

For a data center you can do most of everything you'd need to do on a 7k/9k. We've been doing a lot of Nexus and Arista in the data center and doing HP, Brocade and occasionally Juniper for campus. It's worked out well for us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

FatCow posted:

Good luck running a 6500 in the DFZ doing anything other than vanilla v4.

Challenge... accepted!

code:
#sh platform hardware capacity forwarding
L3 Forwarding Resources
 Module              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used     %Used
   5                     72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)      868352      630304     73%
                        144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)       90112        35623     40%

detail:      Protocol                    Used       %Used
                                  IPv4                      627085         72%
                                  MPLS                        3219          1%
                                  EoM                            0          0%

IPv6                       35616         40%
                                  IPv4 mcast                     4          1%
                                  IPv6 mcast                     3          1%

Adjacency usage:                     Total        Used       %Used
                                               1048576        2790          1%
3CXL, same L3 capability as the 3BXL just with extended L2 capability. It's fine one you recarve TCAM.