Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ball was loving terrible in that first half. Lack of speed is really noticeable. Holiday came in and was able to immediately split Oregon's half press for easy looks.

e: now it's the second half and he's getting put in jail by lovely white backup PGs. really don't see it with this guy. Looked downright bad in the two games I've seen him play against teams with equal or greater athleticism.

e2: pretty great at the end here though!

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

straight up brolic posted:

Ball was loving terrible in that first half. Lack of speed is really noticeable. Holiday came in and was able to immediately split Oregon's half press for easy looks.

e: now it's the second half and he's getting put in jail by lovely white backup PGs. really don't see it with this guy. Looked downright bad in the two games I've seen him play against teams with equal or greater athleticism.

Yeah seriously I mentioned before that I thought his shooting form was horrible and was told that it was just one game, but he can't do anything against Oregon. He's a good rebounder but so far his only offensive game seems to be from two janky rear end 3's that somehow went in.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
And of course he nails a deep three to put a dagger in the Ducks.

This game is amazing. College Basketball is so good this year holy gently caress

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I mean his shooting form is bad but he hits a decent clip so no shooting coach is going to want to rebuild it from scratch

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean his shooting form is bad but he hits a decent clip so no shooting coach is going to want to rebuild it from scratch
he did actually already try to rebuild it from scratch before the season, but didn't feel comfortable

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

e2: pretty great at the end here though!

Lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can't wait for Grayson Allen to be drafted by the Celtics in the 2nd round, flair out in 2 years and then spend the rest of his life playing in China.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

pleased that Ball showed what he could do at the end there. Wedge rebounding with him is going to be very valuable. Pretty unreal in transition and with outlets. He needs his shot to translate at 35-40%+ at the next level to be a good half court player.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

oh my god The Ringer just ran a draft big board column where they couldn't recognize man from zone re: Fultz defense

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

I can't wait for Grayson Allen to be drafted by the Celtics in the 2nd round, flair out in 2 years and then spend the rest of his life playing in China.

And then he'll have a teary reunion with his actual dad, Ted Cruz

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oh my god The Ringer just ran a draft big board column where they couldn't recognize man from zone re: Fultz defense

Was it Tjarks? He legit might be the dumbest person covering the draft for a relatively high profile outlet.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MourningView posted:

Was it Tjarks? He legit might be the dumbest person covering the draft for a relatively high profile outlet.
Yeah it was Tjarks, Kevin O'Connor and Danny Chau. Motley crew.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked O'Connor as Lowe Lite but he's been infected with the Simmons virus

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MCW plays like many other dumb idiots who went to Syracuse (Carmelo Anthony, Dion Waiters, some others who aren't good enough to show off how bad they are) his problem isn't just his shot

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Kevin O'Connor seems alright generally, but Tjarks is amazingly bad. Like, Bill Simmons is better to listen to about basketball than him because he is just as wrong but doesn't dress it up like he's all informed and smart.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Since it looks like the Lakers may end up having a coinflip chance of keeping their pick (although their schedule starts to get pretty easy as this month goes on), I really have had a lot to think about as far as their drafting goes. And I really am starting to think Ball might not be the best fit for them. But man they're going to be under so much pressure to take him.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

MourningView posted:

I tried to listen to a Tjarks/O'Connor podcast once and had to delete the entire channel after five minutes. It was amazingly bad. Their voices did not help either.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The whole ringer basketball staff is funny. I wish they'd get some money or affiliation with some media thing so that half of their writers didn't have to do double duty at si content farms. I miss grantland. Fansided's the stepback (good luck navigating there on your phone) http://fansided.com/nba/the-step-back/
has been surprisingly good, they have a writer who just writes about draft prospects and even if he isn't the ultra scout he does good work.

If you're bored, Mega Leks is playing at 3pm eastern today. Three of their players will probably be in the second round, Vlatko Cancar, Kashtja Mushidi, and Alpha Kaba

They're the draft prospect showoff club owned by an agent and they play a style and level of competition that makes their players look better than they are, but it's nice to be able to watch a bunch of euro prospects in a team format

http://www.vipbox.bz/basketball
If anyone knows where to get better international basketball streams, I'd appreciate it

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 12, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That is quite the name trio

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like CBS mock drafts should be saved for posterity, because the dude really tries to do his own thing and everyone makes fun of him (possibly for good reason) but I never remember to go back and see who's more accurate, him or the consensus. My notes in brackets so I can look stupid later if he's right. It's also in February which is when it's probably okay to make a bad mock but I don't have much better to do this exact second but mock his.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-mock-draft-2-0-lakers-get-fsus-isaac-at-no-2-knicks-land-uks-monk/

1. Celtics - Fultz [So far so good]
2. Lakers - Issac [That turned quick]
3. 76ers - Ball
4. Suns - Tatum [Huh?]
5. Magic - Markkanen [The Magic really test their ability to try and force a player against logic to be an SF)
6. Timberwolves - Robert Williams [Well, he's a project but he could be great]
7. Pelicans - Dennis Smith [Well, I guess he remains the third PG drafted . . Pelicans must want to have the league's smallest backcourt]
8. Mavs - Frank ["Andre"] Ntilikina
9. Kings - Josh Jackson [Listen even if Josh Jackson fell to 9 are we really supposing the Kings make a good draft pick???]
10. Knicks - Monk [What if you teamed Melo up with someone who had his prime athleticism, but didn't use it much and also was a lot shorter.]
11. Bucks - Fox [The article calls him a defensive stopper . . . maybe the league will outlaw screens during the offseason]
12. Nuggets - Tyler Lydon [Not a very "Nuggets" pick but otherwise fine I guess]
13. Heat - Justin Patton [Wouldn't have a problem with this if the writer didn't suggest this was to replace Whiteside]
14. Hornets - Alonzo Trier [gently caress you article for making me have to say something negative about Allonzo Trier but him at 14 is kind of a reach]
15. Trail Blazers - Jonothan Motley [wha]
16. Bulls - Josh Hart
17. Pistons - TJ Leaf [Anywhere out of the lottery is fine for me for him]
18. Pacers - Justin Jackson
19. Thunder - Miles Bridge [I feel like this is someone someone would take a chance on a little earlier]
20. Hawks - Caleb Swanigan [I don't know who this is]
21. Raptors - Frank Mason [Also not in the top 50 of prospects but I do like him as a player]
22. Wizards - Isaiah Hartenstein [No se]
23. Raptors - Mikal Bridges [some joke about someone named Bridge being paired with a Mason]
24. Jazz - Ivan Rabb [I definitely don't think someone will let him get this low without rolling the dice on him]
25. Nuggets - Ethan Happ [Might make more sense after Wisconsin's annual "beat better teams than them in the playoffs through crawl ball until they run into a team with an offense, but also, not a very "Nuggets" pick]
26. Nets - Zach Collins [Haven't seen him. It's actually pretty hard to watch Gonzaga basketball even with my cable package]
27. Rockets - Tacko Fall [he spells his name like The Adventure Zone]
28. Spurs - Thomas Bryant [The Spurs for some reason decide to select the Least Spursish player in the draft]
29. Trail Blazers - Donovan Mitchell [His game's been sitting on my DVR for two weeks now]
30. Jazz - Harry Giles [I actually think this drop is plausible].

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
All I want out of this draft is for the Mavs to draft the best big man left when it's time to make the pick. (and for that player to be not bad.)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like literally what is the point of Harry Giles. Does anyone think he's going to have a career?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Jazz getting to roll the dice on Giles at the end of the first would be amazing

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'd bet high on the Nuggets getting a foreign player, they always seem to.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
There are two scenarios that would make me an extremely happy Sixers fan in this draft.

1. Drafting Fultz

2. Getting the Lakers pick and our own within the range to get Isaac and Ntilikina.

I don't ask for much

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Remember when Harry Giles was a bonafide lottery pick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like literally what is the point of Harry Giles. Does anyone think he's going to have a career?

Well, he was supposed to be the next generational talent when he had at least one healthy knee.

It is within the realm of possibility that he regains some athleticism, and he really wouldn't need to get back all that much to be a monster again.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
there is no way miles bridges slips that far

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

I feel like CBS mock drafts should be saved for posterity, because the dude really tries to do his own thing and everyone makes fun of him (possibly for good reason) but I never remember to go back and see who's more accurate, him or the consensus. My notes in brackets so I can look stupid later if he's right. It's also in February which is when it's probably okay to make a bad mock but I don't have much better to do this exact second but mock his.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-mock-draft-2-0-lakers-get-fsus-isaac-at-no-2-knicks-land-uks-monk/

ridiculous draft board
what the gently caress is this lmao if rabb falls to 24 the Blazers trade is actually good

Paul Zuvella posted:

he was the best player in the country before he got hurt, might be a bit soon to write him off

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

quote:

Caleb Swanigan [I don't know who this is]

A double double machine, 21 so far this year and a pair of 20/20 games. Sophomore for Purdue, but he reclassified in HS so he should have been a freshman this year. Good shooting touch, hits almost 50% of his 3s and 80% of his FTs. Downsides is he is not a great defender and not the best athlete. Also he turns the ball over a ton.

If he were around 10-15 years ago he'd be David West with a better shooting touch. In today's game I don't know where he plays. He's too small to be a 5, too slow to be a 3 or 4.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Who the gently caress is Justin Jackson?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pubic works project posted:

I dunno, he wasn't top 30 USA when I did my list last month but he is this month so I have a game scheduled for him. He's currently at USA rank 26, but he has jumped like 20 spots forward in ranking in one month, so I guess it's probable he could go to 18.

PotatoJudge posted:

A double double machine, 21 so far this year and a pair of 20/20 games. Sophomore for Purdue, but he reclassified in HS so he should have been a freshman this year. Good shooting touch, hits almost 50% of his 3s and 80% of his FTs. Downsides is he is not a great defender and not the best athlete. Also he turns the ball over a ton.

If he were around 10-15 years ago he'd be David West with a better shooting touch. In today's game I don't know where he plays. He's too small to be a 5, too slow to be a 3 or 4.

Interesting. I feel like I have a Purdue game somewhere on my list so I'll keep an eye out.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pubic works project posted:

Wing for UNC. He was a top 5-10 guy coming out of high school, but then wasn't very good his first two years. He's shooting like 10% better from 3 this year and having a really good season. I am skeptical

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 14, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Wing for UNC. He was a top 5-10 guy coming out of high school, but then wasn't very good his first two years. He's shooting like 10% from 3 this year and having a really good season. I am skeptical

Also needed to put on 15-20 lbs last time I checked.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also needed to put on 15-20 lbs last time I checked.

It's so rare that a prospect doesn't need that much extra weight that I just assume they all need it, unless otherwise noted.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Justin Jackson is on the McAdoo program. Tank your stock then revitalize it as an upperclassman

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Justin Jackson is on the McAdoo program. Tank your stock then revitalize it as an upperclassman

McAdoo was able to revitalize his stock all the way back up to "literally not even drafted" it was very impressive

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MourningView posted:

McAdoo was able to revitalize his stock all the way back up to "literally not even drafted" it was very impressive
lol don't know why I thought he was picked

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bonzie Colson is a new age Barkley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MourningView posted:

Wing for UNC. He was a top 5-10 guy coming out of high school, but then wasn't very good his first two years. He's shooting like 10% better from 3 this year and having a really good season. I am skeptical

Yeah that's a hard pass please, Mr. Larry Legend. Thanks in advance

• Locked thread