Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

I thought at very least the public was aware of Umbrella's stuff due to the whole Nuking Of An American City + suspension of business thing. Obviously Wesker's bullshit is all on the sidelines and I doubt the President ever advertised his daughter was kidnapped by monsters but Raccoon and Terragrigia were both pretty big deals I thought. (Sheena Island I guess to a lesser extent since nobody ever mentions it despite it being called the Second Raccoon City in RE0.)

They've suggested now and again that law enforcement and emergency response personnel are briefed on the T-Virus, at least, but they mentioned in Revelations that the general public didn't know BOWs existed until something like 2003. In 2002, in Darkside Chronicles, Krauser isn't sure he actually believes in such things until he sees his first zombie.

Basically, it's not Dead Rising where they put out millions of emergency posters explaining what the zombies are, what to do, and how to react. Nobody seems to have known exactly what was going on for the first few years, and even in the modern period, assholes keep coming up with brand-new strains out of nowhere, so the old rules may no longer apply.

It's probably suggestive that there isn't an actual T-Virus outbreak in the canon timeline after Dead Aim, though. That's the virus that's relatively easy to deal with, plus there's an effective vaccine/cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I believe it all got covered up but its really unclear. Re6 makes a point that it was a cover up but alot of people still seem to know about all this poo poo.

Wonder if this means there is a racoon city truthers site in the re universe.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 9, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Playing re6 and honestly it's not so bad if you take breaks between chapters. Still a messy game and the no feedback when you shoot enemies sucks but it's still enjoyable with a friend.

I found playing it in that timeline order but starting with chris 1 is the best, nice change up every now and then keeping it fresh and keeps up the mystery but flows much better.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

I found playing it in that timeline order but starting with chris 1 is the best, nice change up every now and then keeping it fresh and keeps up the mystery but flows much better.

Yeah I've been doing this. We found a chapter order guide or whatever and we have been following that. It got really annoying with Leon when Helena or whatever didn't want to tell us what the gently caress was going on until we got to the cathedral or whatever. That whole thing sucked and then Ada comes out as well and it's literally like what the gently caress is even happening lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

That's why I liked the beginning of RE5. There's no "What the?? Zombies??? HERE???" because Chris and Sheva already know drat well there's gonna be zombies. Come on now. They see the first zombie dude and they're like

For as much poo poo as it gets, RE5 was actually pretty good for it's time. It's just aged really poorly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I've been doing this. We found a chapter order guide or whatever and we have been following that. It got really annoying with Leon when Helena or whatever didn't want to tell us what the gently caress was going on until we got to the cathedral or whatever. That whole thing sucked and then Ada comes out as well and it's literally like what the gently caress is even happening lol.

It uh gets a lot weirder from there trust me

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's from reviewing RE4 through a more mature eye that I realized that Ada was just some writer's precious snowflake character. She has her Own Agenda even though she's working for the bad guy, she helps out the smouldering American heartthrob (but only sometimes), speaks in the kinda Twin Peaks style where we only hear half the conversation, and it's the unimportant half, and she wears a sexy xxx dress even in a warzone where she knows full well that the technology level is only really up to steel hand weapons and crossbows.

I really don't like Ada. :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's ok, I'll like her for you. She owns everyone in every RE game she's in real hard :)

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Also, you know, she's the fem fatale in a maximum camp game.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Ada/Leon bullshit fake tsundere relationship is easily in my top 5 list of things I love about the RE characters canon alongside :

-Claire being everyone's big sister
-Barry and everything about him
-that Wesker's and Birkin's kids are together
-Chris and Jill being just friends

Also I'd love to own a gunshop in the RE universe. I'd be making bank with all those outbreaks.
"Well I'm sure those people in Terragria also thought they didn't need those extra shotgun shells too... and see what happened to them. By the way do you know about our layaway program?"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i get the feeling that ada knows how to chill and relax way better than any other playable re character.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Chris injects roids and powerlifts all the things in his downtime. I'd say he also sports his hardon for Wesker, but the roids killed that long ago.
Leon is probably a closet goon and spends his time poking around online, watching bad action flicks, and thinking up one liners.
Claire probably just does the normal home life thing.
Ada likes to go to fancy restaurants and drink wine.
Jill...uh, got no idea. Green Barret by 20 or something silly before retiring to a middle of nowhere police force. Burnt out over achiever? Maybe spends her downtime hitting the herb.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Leon Cross posted:

Jill...uh, got no idea. Green Barret by 20 or something silly before retiring to a middle of nowhere police force. Burnt out over achiever? Maybe spends her downtime hitting the herb.

Jill is nearly professionally capable in something like six separate fields besides the one she's in. I figure she spends her downtime getting utterly lost on Wikipedia.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Leon Cross posted:

Chris injects roids and powerlifts all the things in his downtime. I'd say he also sports his hardon for Wesker, but the roids killed that long ago.

You've never been to one of D.C. Douglas' erotic fanfiction panels, have you?

On the subject of RE7, I think it is sort of a soft reboot. A few references to the old games without having to know anything about them to get what's going on. I hope the series goes forward like this, with self contained stories that maybe make wink wink nudge nudge references to past games. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Creamed Cormp posted:

Also I'd love to own a gunshop in the RE universe. I'd be making bank with all those outbreaks.
"Well I'm sure those people in Terragria also thought they didn't need those extra shotgun shells too... and see what happened to them. By the way do you know about our layaway program?"
Gunshop owners have a 100% fatality rate in the RE universe. Being a door-to-door arms dealer would probably be a better idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My favorite Ada thing is how Chris catches her dead to rights like 5 times in RE6 and gives a monologue about how hard he is going to kill her every time, just to have her zipline off in the middle of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Repo Man posted:

You've never been to one of D.C. Douglas' erotic fanfiction panels, have you?

On the subject of RE7, I think it is sort of a soft reboot. A few references to the old games without having to know anything about them to get what's going on. I hope the series goes forward like this, with self contained stories that maybe make wink wink nudge nudge references to past games. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

Considering the ending I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ImpAtom posted:

Considering the ending I'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen.

What do you mean? The ending was incredibly vague and low content so I'm curious what you took away from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What do you mean? The ending was incredibly vague and low content so I'm curious what you took away from it.

The ending explicitly involves direct references to previous Resident Evil games which, even if they are intentionally misleading, are misleading because they involve those direct references. Like whatever the ~real answer~ is for Chris Redfield it's not going to not be involved in the convoluted RE mythos.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He is saying the DLC is going to go full REtard.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

For as much poo poo as it gets, RE5 was actually pretty good for it's time.

Yahtzee blew me off when I told him that.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Creamed Cormp posted:

The Ada/Leon bullshit fake tsundere relationship is easily in my top 5 list of things I love about the RE characters canon alongside :

-Claire being everyone's big sister
-Barry and everything about him
-that Wesker's and Birkin's kids are together
-Chris and Jill being just friends

Claire Redfield being sick and tired with all of the B.O.W Umbrella bullshit is my favorite part of Rev2. I

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if claire didn't have to try to keep moira going, i suspect she would have spent all of rev2 like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WsJ-FUhQQ

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I had a dream that the Not A Hero DLC came out and it has you playing as a bear wrestling zombies and biting their heads off and stuff and occasionally you meet important RE characters and they go "oh, you're not a hero, you're just a bear" and this is canon for me now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Gunshop owners have a 100% fatality rate in the RE universe

Helicopter pilots also.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Resident Evil is a bit like Dragonball Z to me: Objectively terrible in every way, but god drat if it isn't somehow an absolute blast regardless. The ultimate guilty pleasure.

As for Ada, I kinda like her: When playing as her, her little extra mini-campaigns give me just that little touch more RE action after I've finished the main storyline, with a slightly different twist on it. And during the main storyline, she exists to give me rocket launchers and keep the plot moving.

When you think of her more as a plot device than an actual character, she becomes a lot more easy to appreciate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know if I can bring myself to play Ada's campaign in RE6 because the three main ones were quite enough and it might explain why there are two Adas running around being weird and why Simmons stops the final battle to give a jilted lover monologue complete with weird music and the explanation will be stupefyingly retarded

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't know if I can bring myself to play Ada's campaign in RE6 because the three main ones were quite enough and it might explain why there are two Adas running around being weird and why Simmons stops the final battle to give a jilted lover monologue complete with weird music and the explanation will be stupefyingly retarded

Ada's RE6 campaign is worthwhile for one reason and one only, it reveals that Ada is such a loser she has an imaginary friend

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Backhand posted:

Ada's RE6 campaign is worthwhile for one reason and one only, it reveals that Ada is such a loser she has an imaginary friend

However, her imaginary friend is basically HUNK, so she is still cool.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Backhand posted:

agent is real and not imaginary and definitely ada's BFF okay

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is stupid but the related boss fight is pretty funny. There's also a ~stealth section~

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CJacobs posted:

Helicopter pilots also.

Well RIP Barry

Electromax
May 6, 2007
On my PS4 menu, this is so unsatisfying:

Resident EvilŪ
resident evil 4
RESIDENT EVIL5
RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard

They can't pick a dang stylization and stick with it.

But except for 5 these are 3 games I'm never gonna uninstall. Not enjoying 5 as much on replay but not bad by any means. If the RE2make is the same level of polish as the original REmake, can't wait.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Do we think code Veronica style 3d for re2make?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Helicopter pilots also.

See also: Any mode of transportation operated by Leon.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ShineDog posted:

Do we think code Veronica style 3d for re2make?

I'd be super down for another prerendered background setup ala zero or remake, or even just the prebaked camera angles but using the RE7 engine for the environments.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Gunshop owners have a 100% fatality rate in the RE universe. Being a door-to-door arms dealer would probably be a better idea.

Stranger, stranger..! Now THAT'S a weapon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

blackguy32 posted:

Well RIP Barry
Barry is a dad who knows how to fly a helicopter, not a helicopter pilot. Big difference.

Bogart posted:

Stranger, stranger..! Now THAT'S a weapon.
That guy knew what was up.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

man nurse posted:

I'd be super down for another prerendered background setup ala zero or remake, or even just the prebaked camera angles but using the RE7 engine for the environments.

I expect this is what they'll do. Pre-rendered was only ever because consoles of the time couldn't handle those scenes in real time, but with the new engine that's not a problem any more. Also it means they can include RE4 / RE7 camera modes as a bonus (or alternative like with the weird new control scheme in Remake HD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fereydun posted:

agent is real and not imaginary and definitely ada's BFF okay

that can't be true because agent is real and not imaginary but he is my bff