Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Star Citizen Patch v2.6.1a
Welcome to Star Citizen Alpha Patch 2.6.1a, PTU Testers! For the complete 2.6.1 PTU patch notes, you can find them here
During this initial testing phase, PTU access will be restricted to a small group of players that we will expand on over time as required. Your launcher should show “2.6.1-503234” as the client version. It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Test client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Test.

Please review our current list of Patch 2.6.1 known issues, and take full advantage of our Issue Council area of the Community site to report any bugs you encounter, as well as contribute to other players submissions.

Important Issues: For users encountering GPU Related crashes on NVIDIA cards, please ensure that you have performed a clean driver installation of driver version 378.49! There is a crash when exiting to the main menu from ArcCorp or MMHC with the elevator UI open. Please make sure you’re not in the Elevator UI when you use the game menu! The “Contacts List” button on the Universe page doesn’t work. Hangar flair item are not persisting through client restarts. Players may experience excessive desync when interacting with the Greycat Buggy. If you encounter any infinite loading bugs, restart your client and select a specific Region, not “All”.

Contents:
Updates and Fixes
Star Systems
Ships
First Person
Updates and Fixes

Star Systems:
  • Fixed some audio clipping problems in Revel & York Hangar.
  • Fixed an issue where part of the Khartu-Al flair model was sticking out of the display case.
  • Fixed a number of lighting issues on the three Race maps.
  • Fixed a number of lighting issues in the VFG Industrial and Aeroview Hangar.

Ships:
  • Made some tweaks to the audio for shield activation and deactivation.
  • Fixed an issue where the Cutlass Black thrusters were missing VFX.
  • Fixed an issue where characters in crouch will still clip out of the Mustang Alpha, Beta and Delta when entering the ship.
  • Fixed an issue where the missile cinematic camera would cause the normal player camera to become locked in place.
  • Fixed some unintentionally mirrored textures on the Super Hornet.

First Person:
  • Made some tweaks to the blood splatter visual effects when shot.
  • Changing loadouts mid-game will now give the correct prompt of “Equip Loadout”.
  • Fixed some audio issues with the MediPen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Here, journalists, I have researched a list of convenient questions for you to ask Chris Roberts in your next totally-not-a-paid-placement interview! No need to thank me- just be sure to read them verbatim.

At Gamescom in April of 2016 you demo'd the "Alpha" of Star Citizen's 3.0 patch, which was slated to introduce NPC's and a larger game world. At the time you indicated that this was set to release before the end of the year.
At the moment, it is 2 months into 2017, and several statements by employees have given the impression that you have not even begun working on 3.0. Is that the case, and if so, what was it that you showed off last year at Gamescom? What prompted you to give late-2016 as a release date?

In an interview with Forbes in 2013, you said: "[Then] an alpha of the single-player game, and then finally a beta of the persistent universe by the end of the year (2014)." Now obviously that was wildly off the mark.
What was behind your estimates at that time, and what has changed to push the release date back by 3+ years with no end in sight? Are you addicted to that little tingle that comes from making declarative statements?

On your forums in 2014, Ben Lesnick, then director of community engagement and content strategy, said: " [... We] plan to launch the Persistent Universe sometime in 2015 and expect to have all the features we’ve talked about to date implemented and functioning (with the help of the community which will be testing them) over the course of the ensuing year." In an interview with Geekdomo in April 2014, Erin Roberts said: "For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year (2015)."What was behind their estimates at that time? It appears that in each of these quotes, the strategy when discussing release dates was just to say something approximately 12 months ahead of the current moment. Would you say your company has some kind of issue with estimating more than 5-6 months out? Would you say that the "Con" in CitizenCon does not, in fact, stand for "Convention?"

In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2014. In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2016. These appear to be the same mechanics you've been waving your hands and describing for 2 years. What have you actually accomplished, you intolerable waste of skin?

In september of last year, you angrily denied rumors that the SQ42 was delayed. Less than a month later, you did a complete 180 on that statement and announced that the game was delayed, and promised an update in the near future. It's been 4 months since then and it is increasingly apparent that you weren't anywhere close to finishing the smallest part of this project. When you lie so blatantly, do your testicles kind of shrink up into your body or have you lost the ability to feel shame?

Virtually everything in this timeline is wrong. Are you a loofah-faced poo poo gibbon?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You need to link these so I can drive by downvote the fuckers

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

his nibs posted:

"ChristianPost.com is the nation's most comprehensive Christian news website and was launched in March 2004, incorporated with the vision of delivering up-to-date news, information, and commentaries relevant to Christians across denominational lines."

I wonder if they realise how many of the Ten Commandments Crobbers has already broken?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/star-citizen-2-6-1-ptu-patch-notes-news-mega-map-now-in-effect-174586/
weird, Jilianne+Arbonida has no other posts on that entire website. It's probably just coincidence. I did find a profile on https://www.outsourcely.com. Is it still considered doxxing if it's a fake person that CIG has hired to supposedly post really hip and fresh articles about Star Citizen?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

You need to link these so I can drive by downvote the fuckers

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5t6vjs/261a_released_to_ptu/

o7

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller posted:

Here, journalists, I have researched a list of convenient questions for you to ask Chris Roberts in your next totally-not-a-paid-placement interview! No need to thank me- just be sure to read them verbatim.

At Gamescom in April of 2016 you demo'd the "Alpha" of Star Citizen's 3.0 patch, which was slated to introduce NPC's and a larger game world. At the time you indicated that this was set to release before the end of the year.
At the moment, it is 2 months into 2017, and several statements by employees have given the impression that you have not even begun working on 3.0. Is that the case, and if so, what was it that you showed off last year at Gamescom? What prompted you to give late-2016 as a release date?

In an interview with Forbes in 2013, you said: "[Then] an alpha of the single-player game, and then finally a beta of the persistent universe by the end of the year (2014)." Now obviously that was wildly off the mark.
What was behind your estimates at that time, and what has changed to push the release date back by 3+ years with no end in sight? Are you addicted to that little tingle that comes from making declarative statements?

On your forums in 2014, Ben Lesnick, then director of community engagement and content strategy, said: " [... We] plan to launch the Persistent Universe sometime in 2015 and expect to have all the features we’ve talked about to date implemented and functioning (with the help of the community which will be testing them) over the course of the ensuing year." In an interview with Geekdomo in April 2014, Erin Roberts said: "For the first chapter [of Squadron 42], we're aiming for it to be towards the beginning of next year (2015)."What was behind their estimates at that time? It appears that in each of these quotes, the strategy when discussing release dates was just to say something approximately 12 months ahead of the current moment. Would you say your company has some kind of issue with estimating more than 5-6 months out? Would you say that the "Con" in CitizenCon does not, in fact, stand for "Convention?"

In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2014. In this video, you begin waving your hands while describing procedural generation for star citizen in 2016. These appear to be the same mechanics you've been waving your hands and describing for 2 years. What have you actually accomplished, you intolerable waste of skin?

In september of last year, you angrily denied rumors that the SQ42 was delayed. Less than a month later, you did a complete 180 on that statement and announced that the game was delayed, and promised an update in the near future. It's been 4 months since then and it is increasingly apparent that you weren't anywhere close to finishing the smallest part of this project. When you lie so blatantly, do your testicles kind of shrink up into your body or have you lost the ability to feel shame?

Virtually everything in this timeline is wrong. Are you a loofah-faced poo poo gibbon?

Look man Chris Roberts 2012-[LAST YEAR] was obviously an untrustworthy, lying scammer. However; Chris Roberts [THIS YEAR] has reassured me of his commitment to finishing the game with renewed respect for the backers and an unprecedented transparency,

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Chris promises content, fails to deliver game. Backers get :argh:
Chris keeps mouth shut, fails to deliver game. Backers get :argh:
Chris admits they're delaying release, fails to deliver game. Backers get :argh:

Whatever in the world would you have him do :reddit:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
More like ships roberts

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

More like ships roberts

unless you're talking about a finished product! :slick:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

personality disorder

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

personality disorder

CIG doesn't lie, 3.0 by December 19th was an alternative fact. loving SJWs won't stop making fake news.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

Is it still considered doxxing if it's a fake person that CIG has hired to supposedly post really hip and fresh articles about Star Citizen?

What would Jesus think?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Look man Chris Roberts 2012-[LAST YEAR] was obviously an untrustworthy, lying scammer. However; Chris Roberts [THIS YEAR] has reassured me of his commitment to finishing the game with renewed respect for the backers and an unprecedented transparency,

In [LAST YEAR] we told you that we were just a couple of weeks away from showing [VERSION NUMBER]. Then we sold you more ships. Well, obviously we [GOT TOO MUCH FUNDING/BROKE AN ARM/FIRED HALF OUR DEVELOPERS] so those dates are going to slip a little bit. Don't worry- you'll see everything you pledged for in [CURRENT DATE PLUS SIX MONTHS]!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Self-awareness, thy name is not Angry Pacifist.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Self-awareness, thy name is not Angry Pacifist.

I sometimes kind of half-envy that kind of immense, unfounded self-assurance.

I wish I wasn't smart enough to know how stupid I am

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sarsapariller posted:

In [LAST YEAR] we told you that we were just a couple of weeks away from showing [VERSION NUMBER]. Then we sold you more ships. Well, obviously we [GOT TOO MUCH FUNDING/BROKE AN ARM/FIRED HALF OUR DEVELOPERS] so those dates are going to slip a little bit. Don't worry- you'll see everything you pledged for in [CURRENT DATE PLUS SIX MONTHS]!

We were right on time to release the game, but then we had to factor in the unplanned scopular enlargement

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

o8

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
lol they havent even bothered pretending they look for active issue council people.

Its

Evocati > Subs and concierage (new) > Plebs(often skipped) > Live.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Seriously I am a busy man and I need links so I can downvote and report these people, it's my only hobby

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Stop being mean to apes. :colbert:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Seriously I am a busy man and I need links so I can downvote and report these people, it's my only hobby

pls get a ticket and downvote these devs irl

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-and-squadron-42-will-take-to-the-stage-at-the-pc-gamer-weekender/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Was that the same show where CIG showed up to demo some poo poo and basically had jpegs and talked about it?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like how they clarify it will just be the developers and not the actual games.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Estimates are, by nature, inaccurate. For example, when Amazon.com sends me a shipping notice that says "estimated delivery date: 7-10 days", there is no way for them to actually know how long it will take, based on past experience. It may arrive in 6 months and I'm fine with that.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I like how they clarify it will just be the developers and not the actual games.

Yea you have to read into it lol

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

his nibs posted:

"ChristianPost.com is the nation's most comprehensive Christian news website and was launched in March 2004, incorporated with the vision of delivering up-to-date news, information, and commentaries relevant to Christians across denominational lines."

I wonder if they realise how many of the Ten Commandments Crobbers has already broken?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/star-citizen-2-6-1-ptu-patch-notes-news-mega-map-now-in-effect-174586/

They've posted about Star Citizen before.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/s...evealed-170724/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/s...lopment-158395/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/star-citizen-release-date-news-alpha-2-0-gameplay-footage-goes-live-152542/

Christian Post is owned by Christian Media Corporation International (CMCi Group), a faith-based digital news, entertainment, and resource company. Seems fitting.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SC continuing to get funding makes more and more sense after Trump.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Hav posted:

Traveller was an RPG written by Marc Miller back in the 1980s; basic science fiction fare that I hugely enjoyed. Kickstarted the fifth edition and ended up facebook friends with Marc, which is geeky as all hell.

Sometime in the late 90s, they decided to 'advance the timeline' a bit, and created a virus that managed to transfer itself from starship to starship, killing the crew and roaming the stars looking for other ships to infect. 'Vampire fleets' if you will. This effectively locks humanity down to the planets it came from, unable to trust a lot of the computers.

I thought this was _fascinating_ as an idea. Player characters were now operating in the twilight of empires, avoiding the old technology, or doing 'smash and grabs' to obtain things from degenerate human societies and the occasional rogue AI.

While the themes are all there in science fiction, this was one of the most original twists that I'd seen in a while.

So why didn't ships just completely air gap the navigation computer and comms from each other and go about their business? Was there an explanation? It seems like a pretty fixable problem unless the virus is contagious space magic that spreads through the air. Keep the navigation computer isolated and ships would work just fine. Revert comms back to old school analog radio with no actual memory or processors and comms would be immune to virus as well.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
im not sure which of these gifs best captures the essence of cig and their fans

http://i.imgur.com/PPDl904.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/AbQvhYl.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/xT65vku.gifv

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I sometimes kind of half-envy that kind of immense, unfounded self-assurance.

I wish I wasn't smart enough to know how stupid I am

When ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BitBasher posted:

So why didn't ships just completely air gap the navigation computer and comms from each other and go about their business? Was there an explanation? It seems like a pretty fixable problem unless the virus is contagious space magic that spreads through the air. Keep the navigation computer isolated and ships would work just fine. Revert comms back to old school analog radio with no actual memory or processors and comms would be immune to virus as well.

They did, eventually. The Traveller universe is largely mediated by jump distance, with any size of jump supported by the engines taking 7 days, limiting the communication speed of 'poo poo, something bad happened to the computers' to roughly the propagation speed of the virus. No FTL communication.

The main intra-system communication method was handled by specialized jump-6 boats that were all jump engine and fuel bladder; they'd jump into a system, transmit their payload and wait to be refueled for the next jump. The vampire would transmit the virus, which would space the crew and go after other targets. By the time they figured out what was happening, the intra-system areas were filled with hostile metal and some planets were in collapse because of a cessation in trading.

Kinda like the old empire collapsing in Foundation.

The New Era has you working as a group of technologically advanced people attempting to rebuild in essentially the hostile universe with all your computers effectively turned into expert systems with human airgaps. It's actually a neat way to resolve the technology into more of a 1990s setting.

edit: In 'gently caress me' news;

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-fling-social-media-app-died-2016-11

$21 million burned, no revenue.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 10, 2017

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yea you have to read into it lol

I nearly fell asleep reading about it. I can only imagine the live thing...

I've been a fan of PC Gamer since 1995, it hurts to see this death spiral in real time.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Ever wondered what it's like to work with Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, Gary Oldman and Andy Serkis? Here's your chance to ask.
You betcha :thumbsup:

quote:

Speakers include Star Citizen Live lead designer Luke Pressley, Star Citizen system designer Will Maiden and Star Marine senior designer Sean Noonan. CIG COO Carl Jones and Squadron 42 lead level designer Simon Vickers will also be part of the discussion on the Saturday.
What, the entire all-star cast, including whatsisface and that random dude? Who's left making the game

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I love that you'd only know this thing exists from a rando website, not CIGs or any of their several shows. Its deliberate, this is for new suckers.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Nicholas posted:

Estimates are, by nature, inaccurate. For example, when Amazon.com sends me a shipping notice that says "estimated delivery date: 7-10 days", there is no way for them to actually know how long it will take, based on past experience. It may arrive in 6 months and I'm fine with that.

you have ordered from china I take it.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 10, 2017

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Colostomy Bag posted:

Was that the same show where CIG showed up to demo some poo poo and basically had jpegs and talked about it?

That's pretty much every show, isn't it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sarsapariller posted:

Assuming ignorance instead of malice, I get the impression Roberts thinks of a "year" as an unfathomably long period of time in which nearly infinite amounts of work can be completed. So one year should be enough for any single task, like "make the game" and then "finish the game."

Hmm, couldn't get the alpha out this year? No problem, there's a whole new year to work on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg: