Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

jesus that cat eats fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Man I kind of want to get one of these for Kiska now

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That moment when he's looking around because he's sure there were way more kibbles... :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp just bought that for Kiska and because you can never buy just ONE thing for your cat on Amazon, some more toys that make noise. And it supports a rescue for cats with health issues so good work Chili :3:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I have the Catit Senses Digger (below) to slow down my doofus because I was sure he'd knock that kind over, it works pretty well.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

Welp just bought that for Kiska and because you can never buy just ONE thing for your cat on Amazon, some more toys that make noise. And it supports a rescue for cats with health issues so good work Chili :3:

Make sure you have smile turned on! All of our purchases on there support the mdspca, the organization we foster through.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

Make sure you have smile turned on! All of our purchases on there support the mdspca, the organization we foster through.
Yep it always is :3: That's what I meant.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

Yep it always is :3: That's what I meant.

I used to forget half the time then I found an app that just keeps it on. We've raised an embarrassing amount of money for the MDSPCA

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I keep waiting for "Catit" to not automatically parse as "Cat tit" for me on that product line but it ain't happening yet.

How are the kittens and momcat? :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
They're still doing great, we'll let em out in the basement again tonight. I'll try to hit you all with a video.

Oh and the last nugget/catharsis of the food maze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ySDMamh0U

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol when butterscotch squnches his head down into his shoulders it's like he's sprouting new chins in real time

I love your fat, extremely hungry cat.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
Our cats eat out of one of those to promote sharing and prevent cat bulimia. Pro-tip if you have wood or tile floors use it without the rubber mat, then all their efforts to knock it over fail because they just slide it all over the place.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Underwater Shoe posted:

Our cats eat out of one of those to promote sharing and prevent cat bulimia. Pro-tip if you have wood or tile floors use it without the rubber mat, then all their efforts to knock it over fail because they just slide it all over the place.
I'm now looking forward to seeing this.

To be honest I have no idea if Kiska will even get this, she is not a smart cat :v:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Butters is so clearly food-motivated, and he figured that out pretty quickly. I feel like this means you could probably train him to do just about anything with a food reward. Looking forward to seeing him sail majestically through a series of hoops. :allears:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

wheatpuppy posted:

Butters is so clearly food-motivated, and he figured that out pretty quickly. I feel like this means you could probably train him to do just about anything with a food reward. Looking forward to seeing him sail majestically through a series of hoops. :allears:
When my cat was in rescue, she was free-fed. When I got her, I started her on scheduled feedings. At first she didn't really pay attention to food, but it didn't take long for her to understand the pattern and anticipate meals.

Then she noticed I'd sometimes give her treats when I'd give the dog a couple small treats immediately following a trip outside. So now whenever I come back inside with the dog, she jumps onto the counter and lets me have it with the meows until she gets a greenie or minnow. I'm trying to think about turning into a training opportunity for her, but not sure what I really want her to do. I've already trained her to jump onto my back. I think "stay" will be next.

What I'm saying is you've gotta train butters, chili :)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

I've already trained her to jump onto my back.

What I'm saying is you've gotta train butters, chili :)

I don't have a death wish.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Is there a video of Butterscotch eating a normal meal in record time I've missed?

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Bud K ninja sword posted:

you are a really cool person and that is :kimchi: as fuuuuuck

Aw thanks man! Working with dogs is a blast :3:

Also Butterscotch is such a big baby, his desperate cries are very similar to those of my wannabe tubster Bones, or as we call him in his moments of petulance, Boner.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

porkswordonboard posted:

Aw thanks man! Working with dogs is a blast :3:

Also Butterscotch is such a big baby, his desperate cries are very similar to those of my wannabe tubster Bones, or as we call him in his moments of petulance, Boner.

if i worked with them i would have poor restraint. and i haz too many already :smithfrog:

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Yeah when fosters come by it can be a real problem, I don't have a dog (living situation doesn't allow them, and I work 2 jobs) so a few doggos have really tugged at my heartstrings to the point where a year later I'm still pining for them...Drifter I wanted you so bad :cry:

The upside is every foster dog that comes by for a bath gets tons of free add-ons and treats and free food samples and sometimes a toy I buy for them because I'm such a sucker, really. Currently working with my boss to start a program where certified fosters get 10% off everything and he's on board!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Guys.

Gummi has hit adoption weight, and he's likely leaving our care tomorrow. My heart is kinda breaking, as he's become my favorite. He's such a good lap kitty with a loud purrbox.

Don't have much else to say beyond that. Keeping him isn't an option but I just wanted to mini-vent a bit because I'm sad. He's a good boy. I'll be sure to post some good pictures of him tonight.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Chili posted:

Guys.

Gummi has hit adoption weight, and he's likely leaving our care tomorrow. My heart is kinda breaking, as he's become my favorite. He's such a good lap kitty with a loud purrbox.

Don't have much else to say beyond that. Keeping him isn't an option but I just wanted to mini-vent a bit because I'm sad. He's a good boy. I'll be sure to post some good pictures of him tonight.

just know that the little baby is gonna have a good home and you played a big part in that! You're awesome, Chili!!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congratulations, Gummi! :unsmith:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh, Gummi!

You did a great job raising up that fat little kitty, Chili. I hope the sadness passes and the feeling of joy you get from fostering takes its place as quickly as is natural for you.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He was my favorite from the pics and videos so I'm glad he turned out into such a chill little dude :3: You're good people, Chili & family.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Congrats for Gummi's new step :3:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Chili posted:

Guys.

You did a Good Job.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You know what this means?

A going away party for Gummi. With party hats. And lots of pictures.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You know what this means?

A going away party for Gummi. With party hats. And lots of pictures.

A tiny kitten mortarboard and little Foster Care Graduate diploma :kimchi:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Goodbye Gummibear! :patriot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kzDr2WKTA

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

You're not waiting until the rest are at weight so they can hopefully get adopted in groups?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

You're not waiting until the rest are at weight so they can hopefully get adopted in groups?

They generally go back in two's, so that remains a possibility. Most of the time, when we foster a larger litter like this, they aren't quite as bonded to specific kitties. They would all do well getting adopted with a brother or by themselves.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Gummibear will make a Good Cat :unsmith:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Thank you all for attending my little pity party around giving up Gummi. I owe you all a bit of an update!

Pictures and maybe video later, but for now, Panda, Polar, and Gummi have all moved on and will be finding forever homes!

So for now we're left with Mama, Teddy, and Grizzly.

Also, we learned that Teddy is, in fact, a little girl! It's always hard to tell when they're young, and they simply guessed wrong last time. So she's been outnumbered until now.

Last bit of good news is that they just started a foster mentoring program at our SPCA. The plan is to have veteran fosters be available to support new fosters should they need assistance. So they give out phone numbers/email and hook up new folks with some support. They're starting the program off small and they only picked a few, but they chose us! That was a nice way to soften the blow of handing over some of our kitties.

So all is well here. Grizzly and Teddy probably have about a week left with us before they can go back. Lilly will have another week or two as she'll need to dry up before they can spay her.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The obvious thing to do is post more teddy pics, such a pretty kitty. :kimchi:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I didn't get a picture, and haven't seen it again, but there has been a catpile with Gonzo and Momma Cat (we really need to give her a new name, my niece has stubbornly taken to calling her Sugar Sprinkles though). As soon as I said something, though, Momma Cat hopped down to request to be let back in the house.

Also, since she loves nibbling on you and bunny kicking your arm as her play mode, I should get a discount valentines day stuffed animal for her to play with like that, so it won't matter if she tears it up. She has gotten better at realizing she's gotta be gentle on us humans, at least. And I really should figure out how to clip her nails, since her extra dewclaw doesn't really get worn down like the others and tends to get her hooked up on door mats and such.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chili posted:

Thank you all for attending my little pity party around giving up Gummi. I owe you all a bit of an update!

Pictures and maybe video later, but for now, Panda, Polar, and Gummi have all moved on and will be finding forever homes!

So for now we're left with Mama, Teddy, and Grizzly.

Also, we learned that Teddy is, in fact, a little girl! It's always hard to tell when they're young, and they simply guessed wrong last time. So she's been outnumbered until now.

Last bit of good news is that they just started a foster mentoring program at our SPCA. The plan is to have veteran fosters be available to support new fosters should they need assistance. So they give out phone numbers/email and hook up new folks with some support. They're starting the program off small and they only picked a few, but they chose us! That was a nice way to soften the blow of handing over some of our kitties.

So all is well here. Grizzly and Teddy probably have about a week left with us before they can go back. Lilly will have another week or two as she'll need to dry up before they can spay her.

Does Mama enjoy human attention, or does she just really enjoy digging at the bottom of boxes?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How often do foster pets get renamed in the adoption process?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Does Mama enjoy human attention, or does she just really enjoy digging at the bottom of boxes?

Not entirely sure yet. Mama cats are kinda nuts until their kitties leave. After that you can get a better sense of what they're like.

hiddenriverninja posted:

How often do foster pets get renamed in the adoption process?

No idea, but I'd be willing to guess that almost all of them get renamed. Naming pets is fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm too allergic to ever have a cat or dog, but I can't fathom renaming a pet if it already has one, especially if it responds to it.