Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ignore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Might be one of my favorite pilot episodes in a long while. The "create charred skeletons" power was ultra rad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

You read wrong. This is not connected to the movie universe at all. The producers confirmed it's entirely separate universe of its own. The new X-Men show on Fox from Matt Nix that's in pre-production now is the one that is tying into films.

Literally everything I've read on this subject from the producers or Hawley says the exact opposite - that while it's meant to be standalone and may not end up tying into other properties, it's still very much part of the shared X-Men universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Literally everything I've read on this subject from the producers or Hawley says the exact opposite - that while it's meant to be standalone and may not end up tying into other properties, it's still very much part of the shared X-Men universe.

Nope. From a recent IGN interview:

quote:

IGN: What are the challenges in having this other, larger X-Men franchise? Will this be within that universe, or are you making it separate?

Donner: No, we're making it separate. We're our own world.

IGN: So even if it touches upon Xavier later, it's not the Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy versions?

Donner: Yes, we're in a different world. Exactly.

IGN: Why go that route? Particularly because Matt Nix said his FOX X-Men project is a part of that world?

Donner: Matt's is much more a part of just the world in terms of there are mutants, mutants are hated and there are Sentinels -- though very different from what we've seen before. You feel like you're here in the X-Men world. With Legion, we're our own universe. It gives Noah the freedom to do what he wants to do. Because we play with so many different timelines, and we rebooted and not really rebooted and all that, we felt like, OK, we're going to throw it out there and hope the fans accept it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/16/legion-x-men-producer-on-how-xavier-fits-in-and-future-tv-plans

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that's much clearer than anything I'd read previously, specifically the Xavier bit. I know Singer said it definitely would be connected last year so sounds like they were confused between themselves.

Anyway it not being connected to the film universe is by far my preference so woop

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah, that's much clearer than anything I'd read previously, specifically the Xavier bit. I know Singer said it definitely would be connected last year so sounds like they were confused between themselves.

Anyway it not being connected to the film universe is by far my preference so woop

The X-Men creative team confused about continuity? Certainly you must be mistaken!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Mine too. Just tell a good story. The obsession with shared universes is getting out of hand. I saw up to the first commercial break at New York Comicon last October (so I was super pumped to see the full episode), and I swear, half the questions afterwards were about if the show was in the x-men universe, or if x-men would show up in the Marvel cinimatic universe.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

BlackJosh posted:

Yeah I too got a strong Hannibal vibe and it definitely has me on the hook for at least a few more episodes. Very interesting and adventurous visually and aurally.

Hannibal was snobbishly artsy (In a good way) This is straight up trippy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like some parts of this show, the look, the non-liner storytelling, crazy rear end Aubry Plaza headmate, heavy use of tracksuits, but at the same time I really do not like them having a known X-men character and just change the name. As was said, Syd was just Rogue, but not Rogue. What's the point?

I forgot this was on FX as I was watching it on the CityTV site and then they started swearing and I was "the hell? I thought this was network tv".

That Bollywood like dance number felt really french new wave cinema for some reason to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Syd isn't Rogue. Rogue doesn't have mind-swap powers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

You read wrong. This is not connected to the movie universe at all. The producers confirmed it's entirely separate universe of its own. The new X-Men show on Fox from Matt Nix that's in pre-production now is the one that is tying into films.

IMDB trivia says otherwise, but the IGN interview you posted contradicts it. Fitting for this show that the "is this or is this not part of the Marvel cinematic universe" question exists, actually!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Escobarbarian posted:

Syd isn't Rogue. Rogue doesn't have mind-swap powers.

I mean, that's true, but you could have accomplished something pretty similar if it had been Rogue and she gained David's powers without being able to control them, which causes crazy poo poo to happen and David escapes in the confusion.

I think maybe they just wanted some more crazy poo poo to happen in their crazy poo poo show, and "mind swap" is crazier than power drain.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is the fact that it seems like when Syd's powers run out, rather than just the minds swapping back and the bodies staying in their physical locations your physical body instantly goes to wherever you've moved the body you took over, and vice versa. Like, if it had worked how we normally see mind swaps go then when the time was up Syd would be back in her body at that little outdoor cafe and David would be back in the mental hospital. I wonder if we'll get more info on how that works later on, because it's actually a much more versatile power that way and becomes much better for spying. You could kidnap a general, swap with him, walk right into a secure military base and get all sorts of intelligence, then when it runs out you swap right back to wherever you tied the general up and he's back at the base. You don't even have to worry about your allies not realizing if you're back or not, since your physical form will change. Anyway, it's some sort of mind swap and teleport combo that I've literally never seen before, so kudos on them for coming up with a new wrinkle on a common power.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It does seem like Syd should be real. Since they did swap places and the bad guy wants Syd as well.

Telekinetic guy, Tommy gun guy and emo chick are probably not though!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Affi posted:

It does seem like Syd should be real. Since they did swap places and the bad guy wants Syd as well.

Telekinetic guy, Tommy gun guy and emo chick are probably not though!

Yeah Telekinetic dude is most definitely not real. That's the "he would be the most powerful mutant in the world if he could control his power" type thing for sure.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

False posted:

This was pretty great. It wasn't as extreme but some of the color schemes and general aesthetic reminded me of the criminally under-watched Utopia (UK show - not whatever US reality show).

Quoted because Utopia was amazing.

"Where is Jessica Hyde?" - Neil Maskell being loving terrifying.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I think we will find out at the very end of the season that Syd isn't real and that will be the big twist.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

how did they get the swimming pool filled so fast? huge plot hole there.

It's not like we know how long he was knocked out for. And being deceived by David's clusterfuck of a mind is part of the ride, so it's really hard to trust much of anything. We just have to accept stuff like this and come back to it if it becomes relevant somehow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I think we will find out at the very end of the season that Syd isn't real and that will be the big twist.

Speculation, but did we ever find out how she got out of the asylum after waking up back there? Could be she was killed after that and she's been fake ever since.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Man, that would suck. You fell in love with a personality inside your mind. Just a part of yourself that's gone with meds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

IMDB trivia says otherwise, but the IGN interview you posted contradicts it. Fitting for this show that the "is this or is this not part of the Marvel cinematic universe" question exists, actually!

IMBD is one of the least reputable sources you can find on anything. It can be edited by pretty much anyone.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I am worried the rest of the episodes wont be nearly as awesome as that pilot was.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I spent the whole first half of the episode trying to figure out what time period this is, since my boomer dad couldn't stop pointing out the psychadlic soundtrack and how long it had been since he had heard whatever. By the second half it was clear that this is the early 70s, but Clockwork might as well have been a dimension in David's head for all I know, because of all the Kubrick sci-fi poo poo. I pretty much lost it at the giant flat-panel TV running an old Bubsy Berkeley inspired dance number.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not the early 70s. It isn't set in a specific period.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Malory: "What year do you think this is?"
Archer: "I uh, yeah, exactly, good question."

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

Speculation, but did we ever find out how she got out of the asylum after waking up back there? Could be she was killed after that and she's been fake ever since.

If Syd or another mutant can inject people into memories then there's no reason to believe that Syd was ever at the asylum or that the asylum even exists (unless the asylum is in "red hook") , as iirc the interviewer seemed confused about both the existence of Syd and the doctor that David referred to. The scene where they sleep together started with David's door opening and closing with no feet shown, and then Syd appearing next to the bed.

The only thing that is likely real are the present scenes as the camera left David to look at the rest of the school and Dog Man.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The interviewer says that Lenny was found dead, embedded in a concrete wall so that actually happened. Syd could've been rescued by the mutants who showed up in the car, and I assume all three of them are real. Maybe none of them are, but I'd say everybody but maybe telekinetic guy are real.

However, Syd could've also put herself into more of David's memories than she was actually in, the bedroom scene could've been fabricated by her as he's recalling his memories to the interviewer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If she can inject herself into memories, maybe she can extract herself too.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this is the first time I had to pause the episode to see how many minutes it had left because I didn't want it to end.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Pussy Quipped posted:

I am worried the rest of the episodes wont be nearly as awesome as that pilot was.

You need to relax dude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cQeFBU2Kw

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where crazy telekinetic dude isn't 'real'.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Spuckuk posted:

Quoted because Utopia was amazing.

"Where is Jessica Hyde?" - Neil Maskell being loving terrifying.

We just finished the pilot and also got a huge Channel 4's Utopia vibe from it. (Bummed we're not going to get more, or the HBO remake).

That pilot was amazing, I don't know what I just watched - but I hope there are more ties into the X-Men universe. Legion, if successful, could make a great primer for an X-Universe reboot once the lovely movies are done. (Though Logan looks pretty dope). Also, I can't say it enough: Dan Stevens is incredible.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We just finished the pilot and also got a huge Channel 4's Utopia vibe from it. (Bummed we're not going to get more, or the HBO remake).

Utopia season two was pretty darn bad, such a huge disappointment to watch. it is probably for the best that we won't be getting more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^ yep

If it wasn't probably over the character limit for usernames I legit would change mine to"SHUT UP ABOUT UTOPIA"

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^^^^ yep

If it wasn't probably over the character limit for usernames I legit would change mine to"SHUT UP ABOUT UTOPIA"

You're cranky.

Do you get those dreams a lot, Escobarbarian?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This couldn't be set in the 70s because Aubrey Plaza makes a CNN reference early in the pilot. Also the interrogator had a tablet straight out of Westworld.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I get the sense that the world style is a product of David's mind. For example, I don't think his sister actually looks or dresses like that, I think he just sees her that way for some reason.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

I get the sense that the world style is a product of David's mind. For example, I don't think his sister actually looks or dresses like that, I think he just sees her that way for some reason.

Exactly! Also why are some of you jumping on Syd=Rogue there isn't really anything to suggest that besides her not liking to be touched.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lowtechs posted:

Exactly! Also why are some of you jumping on Syd=Rogue there isn't really anything to suggest that besides her not liking to be touched.

It'd be like a mutant character on the show shooting [insert thing here] out of their eyes and everybody having to compare them to Cyclops.

My first instinct when I saw Syd was that she was meant to be Rogue, but that was because I didn't do any research on the show beforehand and went in blind. I didn't know about there being no connection to the mainline X-Men comics or movies, the character's name or power, etc. Also does anybody here still think Syd is Rogue or are you must assuming that?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

It'd be like a mutant character on the show shooting [insert thing here] out of their eyes and everybody having to compare them to Cyclops.

My first instinct when I saw Syd was that she was meant to be Rogue, but that was because I didn't do any research on the show beforehand and went in blind. I didn't know about there being no connection to the mainline X-Men comics or movies, the character's name or power, etc. Also does anybody here still think Syd is Rogue or are you must assuming that?

Eh I am just going by past posts I think it should be obvious now that Syd is not Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Spoiling my guess about the mental hospital sequences, not sure how much of the show it could be true for, probably none of it. But I've read the books and that may have influenced my guesses even if I don't remember them great.
None of this is real, david's done a bunch of crazy poo poo and the whole episode is in his head where he is trying to stay in control, or others are trying to keep him under control in telepathic constructs. He's aware and in on it. At least, that's what I immediately started guessing when he turned to his sister and said "something new needs to happen" and that fact that he wasn't allowed to get too close, in case they touch accidentally. He's getting bored and then his subconscious brought his sluggy TK buddy out to play, then later a cute girl personality because david wants to be touched, as the therapist references, but he can't touch her because she's not real.Also that weird green guy hiding on the wall in the cafeteria. No mental hospital would let a patient do that.

Edit- Or everyone who talks to her, which means everyone David interacts with and one of the nurses, is one of his alternates.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 11, 2017