Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love how one of his last comments on Criminal Girls, when (Pat?) asked if he recommends playing it, basically boiled down to "I'd rather play anything else, but maybe it'll get good one day so i'll keep playing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Deleter posted:

I did not know what Criminal Girls was, so I looked it up and now I can say I am a poorer person for doing so.
You bought it?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't know man. I understand your point, and you've got most of it right, but to me the core concept of it it's still feels inherently contradictory because that whole 'Moe' subgenre is fanservice (and usually to a creepy degree) in and of itself and is also a big part of what Liam calls 'otaku culture'. That's still the creepy thing and it is almost entirely inseparable from the extra creepy poo poo like "Now watch as be blow their clothes off" or "Press this button and they let you pet them." or "And now this quest requires you to watch this cutscene of a man taking gravure photos of this underaged girl in her swimsuit." kind of poo poo that his constant task of reminding everyone 'no I actually don't like this' feel really hollow/like the biggest back down.

I think that quote from Geoff's twitter kinda sums it up: "I hate waifu culture, but I'm totally part of the problem". He's into that moe BS, although as far as I can tell on the shallow side of the creepiness. It's just that as you stated, they're kinda inseparable. I have this theory that when people consume niche pop culture they kinda learn to pick off the elements of it they don't quite like, while at the same time getting defensive when someone from the outside asks you "so why don't you get them without that poo poo in the first place?". You develop some resistance to it, but you don't necessarily side with the side that ADORES those elements - which is how I see Liam. Again, this is just rationalizing his opinion, I stopped doing poo poo with my local FGC group after getting tons of poo poo for backing up criticism of Laura's alt outfit and realizing "I kiiiiinda don't wanna support them guys anymore".

edit: maybe this is proof that ecchi poo poo is literally addictive and we should start an intervention for our friend. You start with Keiju because "oh it's good i swear don't look at the fanservice" and then when you realize it you're watching Black Rock Shooter or playing Criminal Girls and saying "it's fine i can stop whenever i want" to yourself.

edit 2: I guess what I'm really REALLY trying to say is that I understand what mindset he's coming from when he says that kinda stuff, even if I disagree with it. It makes enough rational sense that I'm not BAFFLED by it. But that's enough Liam for today.

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 10, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Forgall posted:

You bought it?

No I mean I'm now worse for having seen it. I spent my money on Paper Mario instead.

Matt's pun game is strong in this episode of RE7.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I opened the latest RE episode and a link to PE2 part 15 sat tantalizingly at the bottom, taunting me with a removed video.

So check yesterday's Youtube feed tomorrow if it looks like there's no upload.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

I opened the latest RE episode and a link to PE2 part 15 sat tantalizingly at the bottom, taunting me with a removed video.

So check yesterday's Youtube feed tomorrow if it looks like there's no upload.

Goddamnit, Billy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's Fire Emblem Fates (which added that as a side-minigame in the side-minithing of building your own castle in the astral plane) but Fates was mostly building up from Awakening. What i'm talking about is Awakening itself, the make-it-or-break-it game where creepy anime bullshit was left at simply the marriage system expanding to having your own children show up as Borutos due to time-travel, but the game mostly sold itself as a simplified Fire Emblem that everyone could play, with smaller, simpler maps, a way to turn-off permadeaths and a few other things to make the game more casual, and from its success we got 2017 where a remake, a phone game and a musou are coming out.

Bombergirls seems to add MOBA elements with the big flashy thing being a clothes removal gimmick, much like Medabots Girl Mission (spoilers: Medabots is more dead now.)

And also the inevitable 'small girl who turns into a dragon' character. Most notable for wearing the most ungodly costume for a character that looks like a child I've ever seen.

But that's a real modest claim, since I don't play a lot of not-mainstream anime games.

The Deleter posted:

I did not know what Criminal Girls was, so I looked it up and now I can say I am a poorer person for doing so.

I made the same mistake, because I could've sworn it was some kind of fanservice-heavy fighting game with with a criminal theme to it.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 10, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dias posted:

Goddamnit, Billy.

It came up at the same time as today's RE2 and for a minute or two was available. Oh well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With Digimon, the main issue is almost never with the girls of the show. At least the human ones.

Outside of Frontier but Frontier can go die in a trash fire

It's usually the adult women Digimon that get 'sexy' designs. But they're also usually treated like adults and not kids. So 'eh. I also cannot say that it's a new development for Digimon, given that the cat fight between Angewomon and Lady Devimon goes all the way back to the beginning.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

And also the inevitable 'small girl who turns into a dragon' character. Most notable for wearing the most ungodly costume for a character that looks like a child I've ever seen.

But that's a real modest claim, since I don't play a lot of not-mainstream anime games.

I made the same mistake, because I could've sworn it was some kind of fanservice-heavy fighting game with with a criminal theme to it.

Oh yeah! That poo poo was gross, too. Glad the localization presented her with funny russian dude as buddy buddies.

So yeah, FE has creepy anime bullshit, but they're more like single elements (which are still super bad, I cannot imagine going through Conquest and having to deal with Camille all the time shudders) that are at least tame compared to Medabots/Bomberman's "play so your reward is literally the closest we can do to nudity."

I am very glad to not have looked up Criminal Girls yet. All i'm thinking is a bunch of anime girls in prison stripes, maybe showing their belly buttons, with some sorta bad Action RPG gameplay, and i'm happy to let that mental image stay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remember when he said smash 4 was ugly because it looked like Mario Galaxy, instantiating that Galaxy is a terrible looking game

Or the times that he argues to keep in the uncensored stuff so the game will sell horribly now to "learn their lesson" when 90% of the time, there will be no next time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah! That poo poo was gross, too. Glad the localization presented her with funny russian dude as buddy buddies.

So yeah, FE has creepy anime bullshit, but they're more like single elements (which are still super bad, I cannot imagine going through Conquest and having to deal with Camille all the time shudders) that are at least tame compared to Medabots/Bomberman's "play so your reward is literally the closest we can do to nudity."

The most bizarre part is that the game gives you three manaketes and the other two are really cool! Nothing hosed up about them (design-wise notwithstanding) at least.

But yeah, Fates was just uncomfortable in a lot of ways. I'm dissapointed that they didn't really manage to pull the game together in a real satisfying way. That and I didn't really care for a lot of the characters. I don't really have a lot of characters I can pick out from there that make me say 'Oh yeah (x) was rad!' like previous ones.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tae posted:

Remember when he said smash 4 was ugly because it looked like Mario Galaxy, instantiating that Galaxy is a terrible looking game

I one-quarter agree with his argument, in that Melee kinda looks best for its plastic-y toy art style, something like making all the characters look like extra-pretty amiibos would've been even better. But Smash's 4 artstyle is super pretty, miles above Brawl. It's ironic how his point was that the art style was too "plain" and nothing with "characters just looking how they look" when he used to go on tangents about how "game with boring realistic artstyle =/= no art style".

Still miss Liam, but I just know we'd get an argument about Bombergirls if he was still around. ...which we did... poo poo.

RareAcumen posted:

But yeah, Fates was just uncomfortable in a lot of ways. I'm dissapointed that they didn't really manage to pull the game together in a real satisfying way. That and I didn't really care for a lot of the characters. I don't really have a lot of characters I can pick out from there that make me say 'Oh yeah (x) was rad!' like previous ones.

Yeah, that's what I hear. Kinda sucks, FE Awakening had a few good points in the story and i only really thought Chrom was dumb, but the opening 6 chapters of Fates are veeeery not great, and there's few characters i actually like. OTOH the gameplay is really, really good for someone like me that only played Awakening and even if I end up just skipping custcenes down the line, the game will stay fun.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Tae posted:

Who the gently caress believes this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chrom is the best, well-rounded male lord with an actual personality beyond "save my kingdom" outside of Ike

The gameplay in conquest is the best in the series probably, but the only character I really like is a fraction compared to Awakening, which I only didn't like Yarne (gently caress Yarne)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, that's what I hear. Kinda sucks, FE Awakening had a few good points in the story and i only really thought Chrom was dumb, but the opening 6 chapters of Fates are veeeery not great, and there's few characters i actually like. OTOH the gameplay is really, really good for someone like me that only played Awakening and even if I end up just skipping custcenes down the line, the game will stay fun.

I'm sure the problem is just that I don't really remember every single plot beat to the game like Dragon Quest 8, but I can't really remember any points where Chrom was an idiot. I mean, he gets stuck in a lot of lovely situations and the only option at the time is do it or detour for five days/ sacrifice someone's life/submit yourself for execution and none of that's going to happen. Fire Emblem's a one-trick pony, it's not about to suddenly break out a stealth section- again- or turn into a beat-em-up out of nowhere. It's not like you're going to get an option to surrender in the middle of a fight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

Chrom is the best, well-rounded male lord with an actual personality beyond "save my kingdom" outside of Ike

Only issue with Chrom is that he uses too much memory.

sorry

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh, didn't mean that Chrom was literally dumb. He's reasonable enough. He's just kinda bland and slightly goofy. Admittedly I haven't played older FE so I don't know how he fares compared to others, but my experience with him wasn't too memorable. He didn't do anything wrong, but I really liked seeing him lay on the floor and not get into Smash and also banging his daughter just because

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sigurd is the best lord, specially if you like the hot blooded types :v:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sigurd is the best lord, specially if you like the hot blooded types :v:

Yeah he's the man. Every1 else sucks except Hector

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't think of many Fates characters I don't like besides the children that are specific references to awakening characters like nahjrat or whatever. Even king garon i could like on a "this guy is so stupidly evil he wraps around to being sorta fun". Corrin is way worse than Robin though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

are we still managing to have liam meltdowns now that he's not even around

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I can't think of many Fates characters I don't like besides the children that are specific references to awakening characters like nahjrat or whatever. Even king garon i could like on a "this guy is so stupidly evil he wraps around to being sorta fun". Corrin is way worse than Robin though.

It's not that they are unlikeable, it's that most of them are really boring (also the support convos tend to be really boring. Especially in Birthright, Conquest has a better cast.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Rodyle posted:

are we still managing to have liam meltdowns now that he's not even around

Nice meltdown

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Weird subject change here, but does anyone else miss their mic quality before they got new ones at the end of December 2015? I always seemed to like how their old mic quality made their videos feel like you're just over at their house having a good ol' time, but I think that feel has been lost with their newer noise-filtering mics. I dunno, just a thought that came to me today.

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 11, 2017

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
idunno, it's definitely nostalgic, but I feel more like I'm at their house having a good ol' time when they don't sound like they're talking to me through an Xbox Live headset

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I watched some old vids, it gets rough listening to them especially in the yelling parts because those mics are not good for peaking audio

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Tae posted:

I watched some old vids, it gets rough listening to them especially in the yelling parts because those mics are not good for peaking audio

It's definitely the worst in the Mario Party 9 and Mario Kart Best Friends Brawl videos; the mic quality just continually dies anyone talks or raises their voice

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Weird subject change here, but does anyone else miss their mic quality before they got new ones at the end of December 2015? I always seemed to like how their old mic quality made their videos feel like you're just over at their house having a good ol' time, but I think that feel has been lost with their newer noise-filtering mics. I dunno, just a thought that came to me today.

It's tough to go back, even when they're not peaking out, they were not very clean audio. The only thing I miss about the old setup is that Pat's incessant figiting didn't cause his voice to occasionally disappear from the recording.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I am never ever going to understand the bizarre cowardice that Pat and Woolie exhibit towards actually playing video games. It's dumb as gently caress and very frustrating. The Indiana Jones moment was funny, but then Woolie actually teleported out. What the gently caress?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

They are still affected by the prepare to die marketing mindhack

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so when's Woolie's Big Goof supposed to happen, Pat hinted at it a fair bit of time ago and he's still not done anything seemingly game-ruining!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Invictus posted:

so when's Woolie's Big Goof supposed to happen, Pat hinted at it a fair bit of time ago and he's still not done anything seemingly game-ruining!

It will probably be attacking frampt or rolling into the place you put the lord vessel. Screwing up that questline AND anything you could do with Kaathe.

Or ya know he like kills big hat somehow or feeds frampt something he shouldn't.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Was Matt throwing that fire-ax really game-ruining? Like, maybe it's just a small dumb thing that's just really stupid.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Wordnumber posted:

Was Matt throwing that fire-ax really game-ruining? Like, maybe it's just a small dumb thing that's just really stupid.

I get the feeling it was less game-ruining and more "Woolie you stupid stupid idiot." followed by Pat laughing his rear end off.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

What does "Matt throwing the fireaxe" refer to?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Silent Hill: Downpour. Just go watch it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Silent Hill Downpour, I believe.

The FireAxe is one of the best melee weapons in the game. They went through some trouble to get it and it is invaluable to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZgf47z-ko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHOK9XIAAs