Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers

There were several Power Rangers games in the 16-bit era of gaming, and this is the one that's not a beat 'em up or fighting game. Well, kinda. It's an action-platformer, but there is a lot of punching and slashing. Its most defining feature is probably how incredibly mild it all is. Mildly aggressive enemies, mildly interesting boss patterns, and mildly challenging platforming. I feel confident that nearly anyone familiar with games could finish it in just a couple tries.

Why Let's Play it?

Because it's fun, and it's one of the very first 16-bit games I've ever completed. It may not be particularly remarkable, but it is remarkably fair. You could mistake its ease of play for something made by today's standards, and I have a soft spot for old games that feel more like new ones, because they just seem so out of place. And I really, really want to talk about the game's design.

So let's stop Rita Repugnant.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am somewhat excited to see the movie next month.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am pretty hype. Ideally it will feature several cameos of Ivan Ooze.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm still not sure what to think about the new movie. Eh, we'll see I guess.

I'm not familiar with this particular Power Rangers game; I never had an SNES growing up, so the ones I wound up playing were the Genesis games. One of those is just an arena fighter type thing and I don't remember much about it. The other one's based on the original Power Rangers movie; it's somewhat more like this one gameplay-wise but it's also got some lore that was cut from the movie integrated into it, so I find it a little more interesting.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

I'm still not sure what to think about the new movie. Eh, we'll see I guess.

I'm not familiar with this particular Power Rangers game; I never had an SNES growing up, so the ones I wound up playing were the Genesis games. One of those is just an arena fighter type thing and I don't remember much about it. The other one's based on the original Power Rangers movie; it's somewhat more like this one gameplay-wise but it's also got some lore that was cut from the movie integrated into it, so I find it a little more interesting.

You mean the beat 'em up, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I remember enjoying this game via emulation a few years ago. It's not very challenging but it's pretty fun for how simple it is.

It's worth noting that Natsume, the developer, also made a non-licensed version of this game called Ninja Warriors (that's apparently also a remake of a Taito arcade game of the same name, according to Wikipedia).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD2ym2HTlRE

I'm curious if you're familiar with it or not. It's pretty much this game but more challenging and more involved mechanically.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

it will be trash but i really hope it'll be able to be good trash, much like the original power rangers

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Genocyber posted:

I remember enjoying this game via emulation a few years ago. It's not very challenging but it's pretty fun for how simple it is.

It's worth noting that Natsume, the developer, also made a non-licensed version of this game called Ninja Warriors (that's apparently also a remake of a Taito arcade game of the same name, according to Wikipedia).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD2ym2HTlRE

I'm curious if you're familiar with it or not. It's pretty much this game but more challenging and more involved mechanically.

I was aware of Ninja Warriors, but I never noticed the similarities, I should give it a try.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it will be trash but i really hope it'll be able to be good trash, much like the original power rangers

It will be better than VR Troopers.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Ha, I was just thinking about this game earlier today and thinking I should replay it. Now I don't have to!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PureRok posted:

Ha, I was just thinking about this game earlier today and thinking I should replay it. Now I don't have to!

I am glad that my LP timing was convenient!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Ah yeah, loved this game as a kid. Played it a few months back when I found my old SNES and games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah yeah, loved this game as a kid. Played it a few months back when I found my old SNES and games.

It seems like it would've been a good game to play back then, it really rewards the player for aggression.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You mean the beat 'em up, right?

Yeah. Also, the Movie game on the Genesis had bitchin' music.

It will be better than VR Troopers.

There are a lot of things better than VR Troopers. Like Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad. Or Big Bad Beetle Borgs.

I mean, it's a low bar, is what I'm saying.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

KieranWalker posted:

That was also the intent of my joke

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I just want to see if the movie actually manages to deliver on the "with attitude" line.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ya know i just thought about it, and zardon has a weird definition of "with attitude" considering all the teens are charity-workers and the first few seasons were kind of moralizing at times

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

So is Gnarly Gnome a garden gnome?

mandatory lesbian posted:

ya know i just thought about it, and zardon has a weird definition of "with attitude" considering all the teens are charity-workers and the first few seasons were kind of moralizing at times

Geostomp posted:

I just want to see if the movie actually manages to deliver on the "with attitude" line.

Apparently he meant "can-do attitude"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm pretty sure they've got the "attitude" in the movie, considering the trailer shows them all in Breakfast Club style detention at one point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Apparently he meant "can-do attitude"

eh, okay i guess that makes more sense

also dang billy looks like he got a bit pudgy in his sprite, overalls are such an unflattering look

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I loved the Power Rangers so much. As a kid I think we only had the fighting game. I'm heavily considering picking up that new side-scroller that came out since it's got a 4 player deal going on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

I loved the Power Rangers so much. As a kid I think we only had the fighting game. I'm heavily considering picking up that new side-scroller that came out since it's got a 4 player deal going on.

Oh hey, I actually own that! It's a pretty good beat 'em up, just don't expect stellar production values.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

That was also the intent of my joke

Yeah, I know. I was just being silly by taking the comment at face value, which amuses me for some reason.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I feel bad for Billy's actor. Apparently a lot of the production crew bullied him for being gay, which led to him contemplating suicide and eventually quitting the show.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I feel bad for most of the original rangers; one was gay, one was black (the black ranger) and one was Asian (the yellow ranger)
We all know this of course but c'mon Saban really

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

The Genesis game, or the actual "fighting edition"?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

whitehelm posted:

The Genesis game, or the actual "fighting edition"?

Hopefully not the Genesis one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SonicRulez posted:

I saw an official stream where they were giving away all the movie stuff and Bamco put up the Steam icon for the game, but then put it away after a time. That got chat riled up. The game looks like an early flash fangame with QTE abuse.

PureRok posted:

I feel bad for Billy's actor. Apparently a lot of the production crew bullied him for being gay, which led to him contemplating suicide and eventually quitting the show.
I heard it was with some higher up and they eventually sent his character to an alien planet with a girlfriend.

Sjs00 posted:

I feel bad for most of the original rangers; one was gay, one was black (the black ranger) and one was Asian (the yellow ranger)
Jason (Red Ranger) is an American Indian.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
You mean Native American?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

I've seen a few of the panels on the youtubes and they got one of the first casting directors up there.

They literally didn't realize it until after they had released the first string of episodes... Zack is supposed to be the Black Best Friend, with the red and black rangers being best friends in the source material.

Also, the guy who plays Zack? Kinda missing a finger

David Yost ran a Godfathers Pizza in Roseville for a while (like early 2000's ish?)

Bulk is still doing TV work Mostly Power Rangers related (He had a string of cameo's in one of the most recent seasons). Skull, however, is a PHD in theater for Shakespear and Westerns, and can no longer do the laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKLYYYe23w A panel from them from 2011.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Calax posted:

Bulk is still doing TV work Mostly Power Rangers related (He had a string of cameo's in one of the most recent seasons). Skull, however, is a PHD in theater for Shakespear and Westerns, and can no longer do the laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVKLYYYe23w A panel from them from 2011.

Westerns? Yeah, I recall seeing Bulk make an appearance in Power Rangers Samurai.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Jason (Red Ranger) is an American Indian.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Tommy, who was revealed to be Native American during the Alien Rangers episodes, then became the Red Zeo Ranger (and got a spirit quest episode in that season).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I might need to catch up on the franchise or that was a typo.
:iiam:

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 12, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

I might need to catch up on the franchise or that was a typo.

It is a mystery which.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Are Bulk and Skull even gonna be in the new movie? I haven't seen them in any previews, and for me, it's the definitive factor in "seeing it at theaters" versus "waiting 'til it comes out to rent."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bulk and Skull might be a simple walk-on role or, as a nod to the franchise, they will be seen doing damage control during the Kaiju fight in the city, pulling people out of crushed cars. Don't hold your breath on that.
The more I hear about the movie, the less enthused I get.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Maybe it's a satire of the kind of movie you hope it isn't.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Who's up for a little swim through the sewer?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KieranWalker posted:

There are a lot of things better than VR Troopers. Like Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad. Or Big Bad Beetle Borgs.

Man you just sent me in a trip to the 90's.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Elentor posted:

Man you just sent me in a trip to the 90's.

Depending on where exactly you live, all of VRTroopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs are on Netflix. I wouldn't personally recommend watching them, but maybe it'd be fun just for the nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have a Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad comforter. No joke.

• Locked thread