Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Worst nightmare. Low-intensity conflict and insurgency I can handle, but being soaked in a chemical environment? gently caress. No. Anything at all goes wrong and you're dying a horrible death.

I take it you saw the videos with the rabbits and goats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

things ive done as a medic to pay for college:
-swab multiple dicks and i became very well versed in the ancient art of sticking plastic tubes in dicks
-stick a gloved lubed index finger into multiple buttholes of dudes brought in for heat cat
-frozen genital warts off a dudes dick

you dont do this poo poo on a helicopter

-Made an epidemiological STD map for my PA in Korea
-Scheduled about 1 in 5 female soldiers for prenatal poo poo, also in Korea
-Had to "rod someone off the range" at least once a week
-Watched the deliberate malicious actions of leadership at all levels result in enough permanently disabled soldiers to fill a company-sized element over the course of my enlistment

psydude posted:

I like all of the terrifying medical poo poo that the Army potentially makes you endure.

Heat casualty? Ice in uncomfortable places. Chemical attack? Needle directly into your femur.

e: I would probably never be able to get over my doubts of the efficacy of the chemical warfare epipen and wind up dying horribly from a nerve agent as I contemplated firing a spike into my leg.

Atropine pens are like a couple minute bandaid at best plus hey now you've got a punctured suit so might as well pop that valium autopen too so you at least don't give too much of a poo poo while you seize, poo poo and piss yourself, and eventually die because the chemical signaling telling your respiratory system to work is disabled.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm actually surprised the Iraqi army didn't bother dumping its chemical weapons into the coalition forces in 1991/2003 knowing that they were hosed anyway.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

spacetoaster posted:

I take it you saw the videos with the rabbits and goats?
No, thanks, I'd rather not.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Not only that, the signal that tells your muscles to relax everywhere gets shut down! It's a similar mechanism to tetanus toxin, but instead of taking ~2-3 weeks to fully kick in and kill you it only takes a few minutes. Everything clenches, nothing relaxes, brain starts firing randomly, etc. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors are a fun way to go, alright :stonklol:

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
Flight medics also have the opportunity for rad as gently caress jobs after the army! Want to do dedicated search and rescue for the Grand canyon? You can do that. Deal with trauma all day? Do that too! Join the guard after regular army and pull people off of mountains and poo poo. You have the opportunity to have one of the best jobs in the army.

Being a regular line medic is fun for a while but just remember you have a very good chance of getting stuck in an FLA for days at a time watching people do stupid poo poo on a range.

Do flight medic, be bros with the pilots and drop a packet for flight if you want to.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

psydude posted:

I'm actually surprised the Iraqi army didn't bother dumping its chemical weapons into the coalition forces in 1991/2003 knowing that they were hosed anyway.

There's a profound difference between getting your rear end kicked up between your ears and the point where you provoke the entire US military to scourge your country to the loving bedrock. Someone starts wholesale dropping VX, sarin, tabun, even mustard gas on me and you might as well rename the campaign as the 10th Crusade.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Vahakyla posted:

Haven't ruled out going for some of the available slots. The decisions are made in a month.

But I have an airborne contract, I kinda wanna do summadat grunt poo poo.
Though aviation would be cool, good, and chill.

I've been an AD medic for about 14 years. Here's how airborne will probably shake out:
-you will never do a combat jump, anywhere, ever, because modern war doesn't work that way
-you will do the bare minimum number of jumps per year to stay qualified, and spend the rest of the unit jumps watching people do their best lawn dart impression from an FLA
-you will spend the rest of your time shoving long q-tips up dicks, telling people to change their socks, and handing out sacks of over the counter pills to people with assorted minor ailments
-you will go through an endless circlejerk of medical "training" from other people that don't know any more than you
-you will eventually transfer to a non-airborne unit, and realize that nobody cares about your shinies, because you're still just like every other medic ever, except with a worse back and knees
-you have no job prospects outside the army, because medics aren't certified for anything except driving and giving oxygen, and skydiving instructors know how to jump out of planes properly

Flight medics:
-get advanced medical training
-have a direct civilian equivalent, with multiple subspecialties
-have a real-world mission that they do regularly, even in garrison
-are not subject to normal army dickery (it's a special kind of dickery)
-promote quickly
-get flight pay
-belong to flight units exclusively
-are useful

I'd go on, but my thumb's getting tired. My point is, if you don't take this opportunity, I'm going to find you and crane kick you until you poo poo teeth.

E: Look around your formation for the most useless, worthless, selfish, braindead, fetal-alcohol looking motherfucker. That's your Gruntland boss, promoted because he runs good and someone needed an ncoer bullet. Get to studying, fucknuts.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 11, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you do summadat grunt poo poo you're a loving idiot

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Okay I'm going to talk to my PSG on monday.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
people that want to do grunt poo poo are one of two things:

people with zero brainpower that it's all they can do

or

people with lots of brainpower and think it'll be cool

it's never cool

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I also don't see it being hard for you to go to airborne school later after you get to your Polly prissy pants flight medic unit.

it is me the jealous grunt

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

TBeats posted:

I also don't see it being hard for you to go to airborne school later after you get to your Polly prissy pants flight medic unit.

Be hard to pitch, since it doesn't benefit any dustoff unit anywhere. Air assault, maybe.

It's OK, though, since "stand around for hours while you have to piss then literally fall out of an airplane, then stand around some more" is one of those life skills that can be safely handled by, say, a brick.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

If you don't listen to us, you deserve what you get.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soulex posted:

If you don't listen to us, you deserve what you get.

Well that first part went right out the window when he raised his right hand so we'll see how the rest plays out.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
He already moved from Finland to the US so why not keep digging that grave since its halfway finished

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

All this talk about flight medicine and planes has me hankering to try and get my private pilots license. Except its 10 grand to get here in central oregon

*peers into army guard warrant officer flight school*.

why does the army have to suck but gives you free training for cool stuff like helicopters :(

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

MurderBot posted:

All this talk about flight medicine and planes has me hankering to try and get my private pilots license. Except its 10 grand to get here in central oregon

*peers into army guard warrant officer flight school*.

why does the army have to suck but gives you free training for cool stuff like helicopters :(

I mean, but then you'd be a WO and give 0 fucks all the time

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
E4 mafia ain't got nothin' on chief

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

E4 mafia ain't got nothin' on chief

That's where you are wrong.

Chiefs have it loving made.

No enlisted gently caress poo poo. Not a lot of officer gently caress poo poo. No one questions your knowledge because it is stupid to question a warrant.

Source: my chief literally played Zuma all deployment long.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
you can't really use that as a qualifier because who didn't play zuma all deployment long

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

you can't really use that as a qualifier because who didn't play zuma all deployment long

Me. I was doing all the Chief's and SNCO work.

brains
May 12, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Okay I'm going to talk to my PSG on monday.
oh hey for a good while there i trained AD flight medics so:

-once you're selected, you'll be in the pipeline for just under a year before you get to a medevac company
-pipeline is paramedic>critical care>basic flight medic course (formerly known as F3 course) (now the F2 course)
-you'll be a nationally registered critical care flight paramedic
-you'll be in a flight company guaranteed E-4 through E-8
-seriously, as long as can maintain a medical clearance for flight (don't get broke), you will not go back to a ground unit
-you'll be treating live patients both garrison and deployed so your skills shouldn't atrophy
-army desperately needs F2 68Ws because they all get out immediately after graduating*
-because they're nationally registered critical care flight paramedics

*fun fact, the army, in its infinite wisdom, failed to include an ADSO when the yearlong F2 course first started up. so there were people literally months from ETS when they graduated, laughing all the way to the bank.

TBeats posted:

hahaha, no one in their right mind is gonna send a qualified flight medic to go break their loving legs at airborne school

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

brains posted:

hahaha, no one in their right mind is gonna send a qualified flight medic to go break their loving legs at airborne school

Oh well. You're not missing much.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Plus being airborne qualified means you might go to the 82nd

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

brains posted:

*fun fact, the army, in its infinite wisdom, failed to include an ADSO when the yearlong F2 course first started up. so there were people literally months from ETS when they graduated, laughing all the way to the bank.

im glad when i hear about people getting theirs from the army like this

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Mustang posted:

Plus being airborne qualified means you might go to the 82nd

Yes... hahaha... yes!

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
The whole airborne appeal thing I never got. Just destroyed knees and loving stupid runs with my long rear end legs kicking peoples shins.

No one cares about that badge so id go take that flight medic poo poo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My first exposure to AIRBORNE! was in 35T AIT. A pair of tabbed E-6s were walking through the schoolhouse halls one day and stopped my class. They asked if any of us were considering going AIRBORNE!, and when none of us said we were, the saltier looking one said, "Good. Only loving idiots do it. Don't be like us."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I thought air assault school was pretty fun. It's not hard to go by a packing list and dress right dress your stuff. The obstacle course is pretty easy. Fast roping out of a UH was fun. I even learned a thing or two.

Then again it was basically a ten day vacation away from my stupid rear end unit.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

brains posted:

oh hey for a good while there i trained AD flight medics so:

-once you're selected, you'll be in the pipeline for just under a year before you get to a medevac company
-pipeline is paramedic>critical care>basic flight medic course (formerly known as F3 course) (now the F2 course)
-you'll be a nationally registered critical care flight paramedic
-you'll be in a flight company guaranteed E-4 through E-8
-seriously, as long as can maintain a medical clearance for flight (don't get broke), you will not go back to a ground unit
-you'll be treating live patients both garrison and deployed so your skills shouldn't atrophy
-army desperately needs F2 68Ws because they all get out immediately after graduating*
-because they're nationally registered critical care flight paramedics

Looks like we are right on script here boys. A real subject matter expert with real experience swoops in and tells the young grasshopper everything he needs to know to make the right decision. Young grasshopper throws his shades on and says SMDFTB I know exactly what I'm doing, gets in his 33% interest Mustang and drives into the sunset, into the land of busted knees, bitterness, and sadbrains.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

TBeats posted:

I thought air assault school was pretty fun. It's not hard to go by a packing list and dress right dress your stuff. The obstacle course is pretty easy. Fast roping out of a UH was fun. I even learned a thing or two.

Then again it was basically a ten day vacation away from my stupid rear end unit.

There was a MEDCOM direct commission major in my class. I'm pretty sure Air Assault was his first 'real' army thing, dude was so into that poo poo. Watching him eat an MRE was like watching a kid open Christmas presents

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Direct commision folks go through OCS in their own special company but live in the same barracks. While the candidates more or less live in an almost basic training environment the direct commision folks are already officers, wear civies after 1700 or whenever their day ends and hang out outside on their cell phones and get to eat at the DFAC like normal people.

They looked ridiculous the few times they actually did 'real' army training. They looked like they were about to die after rucking like 4 miles.

edit: also overheard a group of them being excited about getting to try MREs for the first time the next day for their one day out in the field or whatever

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Direct commision folks go through OCS in their own special company but live in the same barracks. While the candidates more or less live in an almost basic training environment the direct commision folks are already officers, wear civies after 1700 or whenever their day ends and hang out outside on their cell phones and get to eat at the DFAC like normal people.

They looked ridiculous the few times they actually did 'real' army training. They looked like they were about to die after rucking like 4 miles.

edit: also overheard a group of them being excited about getting to try MREs for the first time the next day for their one day out in the field or whatever

Are you talking about OCS, or OBC? Because direct commissions don't go through OCS. I just direct commissioned an E-7 (it took a stupid 8 months to get the dumb paperwork done) and all he's got to do is go to OBC and get back to the unit to start doing officer "work".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

OCS. It just changed then because I definitely had a direct commision company in class while I was going through. I mean maybe they call it OBC or something but it's part of 3-11 IN, the OCS BN and housed in the same barracks.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

TBeats posted:

Looks like someone forgot waiting in line for 3 hours to do the rappelling tower and endless mockup runs air assault air assault air assault air assault

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

OCS. It just changed then because I definitely had a direct commision company in class while I was going through. I mean maybe they call it OBC or something but it's part of 3-11 IN, the OCS BN and housed in the same barracks.

Why are they going to Officer Candidate School if they've already commissioned? If they're going to send them, why even direct commission?

The E-7 I direct commissioned already had a degree and met all the requirements so it was just a paper signing (that took 8 months) to get him his gold bar.

Now he's just got to go to OBC (Officer Basic Course, I think the term is BOLC now) and that's just for DMOSQ.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's to teach the direct commision people the basics of being in the Army without sending them through BCT. The E-7 you're talking about obviously doesn't need to go because he's been in the Army for a while.

They aren't officer candidates, they're already LTs and CPTs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

It's to teach the direct commision people the basics of being in the Army without sending them through BCT. The E-7 you're talking about obviously doesn't need to go because he's been in the Army for a while.

They aren't officer candidates, they're already LTs and CPTs.

Oh, so they're like nurses and stuff? My wife got offered CPT by a medical recruiter a couple months ago. I slapped the phone out of her hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah it seemed like they were mostly nurses and lawyers