Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

In the garbage where it belongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

In the garbage where it belongs.
Rude

Still lolling at Tiger's WD

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Dimebag posted:

Anyone done something similar and how did it work out for them?

Not me personally. But I know a couple of guys that are members of CordeValle who play with a group at Shoreline every week (in SF Bay Area). Part of the reason is the people they're playing with. And part might be the commute. Cordevalle hosted the US Women's Open last year and the Frys.com a few times, it's in top shape and fun to play, while Shoreline is a rather gross muni.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

sarehu posted:

Not me personally. But I know a couple of guys that are members of CordeValle who play with a group at Shoreline every week (in SF Bay Area). Part of the reason is the people they're playing with. And part might be the commute. Cordevalle hosted the US Women's Open last year and the Frys.com a few times, it's in top shape and fun to play, while Shoreline is a rather gross muni.

Ah cool, yeah the courses themselves are not really comparable. The course I am a member of is I guess what you guys would call a muni but its short and a decent challenge just super hilly and they don't have much money as members are low which is not going to improve any time soon. The one I'm looking at reminds me more of a country clubs you guys have in generic coming of age movie just before college goes back in the 70s. In terms of condition put it this way, I'd rather take my chances with a lie in the good courses rough over the fairway at my current club.

I'd most likely still play a game a month my old course since I'd miss the guys I play with. But going from what most locals see as one of the the bottom courses in the area to a top 100 in the country course. Plus my kid is going to a pre school near there doesn't hurt. Prolly moving over around June which is when most courses start their new membership year. You guys think it would be worth getting a letter of introduction from the current club captain or president?

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

So I've been trying to get into golf for the least few years, but life keeps getting in the way. I had hoped to get out more this past summer, but my wife and I had a baby in June so I never found the time. I want to make time this summer to get out and learn and improve. I want to get some practice in before spring comes around, but I live in Michigan. What do you folks who live in places with seasons do in the winter to practice? I would like to try and get some lessons in, but all of the courses here are closed until April or so. Any and all newbie advice would also be much appreciated!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

wisdomHNOX posted:

So I've been trying to get into golf for the least few years, but life keeps getting in the way. I had hoped to get out more this past summer, but my wife and I had a baby in June so I never found the time. I want to make time this summer to get out and learn and improve. I want to get some practice in before spring comes around, but I live in Michigan. What do you folks who live in places with seasons do in the winter to practice? I would like to try and get some lessons in, but all of the courses here are closed until April or so. Any and all newbie advice would also be much appreciated!

Depending on your area there are probably a couple places with indoor hitting bays, either with a simulator or not. Some people that give lessons probably have indoor setups too. It seems like it's pretty random whether or not you'll have any good winter options in your area though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah heated bays at outdoor ranges are becoming common in cold weather areas. I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but here in toledo we have a range with heated bays that's pretty solid. Indoor hitting areas aren't ultra common from what I've seen but they do exist. They're not cheap though. One winter I bought a hitting mat and net to set up in my garage just to get some swings in, but I'm 6'6" so I need a whole lotta room to even swing short irons.

If you have a little indoor space though, it's not hard to get a hitting mat, some foam balls, and a chipping target like this for under $50 grand total. That at least lets you keep making contact and it's not a bad time killer when the weather's really bad. Shorter length weighted swing trainers like this also let you work on your rhythm and don't take up a ton of room.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of great solutions out there, but you can make do with some indoor stuff.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks for the tips! The indoor courses closest to me are a little further than I'd like to drive, but there are 3 or 4 courses close to where I live. I will call around and see if any of their instructors are able to give indoor lessons. I figure if I can get some tips on my stance and swing now I will be a little bit more prepared when the weather does clear up. Our house doesn't have high enough ceilings for any of the indoor equipment you linked, but I will keep it in mind when we are looking for a new home in a couple years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

Thanks for the tips! The indoor courses closest to me are a little further than I'd like to drive, but there are 3 or 4 courses close to where I live. I will call around and see if any of their instructors are able to give indoor lessons. I figure if I can get some tips on my stance and swing now I will be a little bit more prepared when the weather does clear up. Our house doesn't have high enough ceilings for any of the indoor equipment you linked, but I will keep it in mind when we are looking for a new home in a couple years.

If nothing else, grab a putter and if your carpet isn't bad, knock a few balls around the house just to work on keeping your face square.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, hotel booked for Masters week and tee time made at Forest Hills Golf Club in Augusta. Anyone ever play there? :)

Also, I now have 2 Masters tickets for Wednesday's practice round if anyone in here has more money than sense seeing as they are going for min $950 on stubhub. :)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't believe they let people "flip" Masters tickets. That's got to get you onto some sort of ban list.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I can't believe they let people "flip" Masters tickets. That's got to get you onto some sort of ban list.

I'm pretty sure it does for tournament days.

In other news, I played yesterday in short sleeves since it was close to 65F. This morning we got 5 inches of snow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I doubt they care about par 3 tournament days or practice rounds

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

I know this is not what you asked but during the winter, working out and increasing flexibility and stamina can really help improve your golf swing. A good golf swing can put a lot of pressure on your back and is not a very natural movement. I don't swing the club much during the winter, but after I started lifting and stretching I feel that my swing comes back quicker and feels more natural.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Add Jordan Spieth to the list of golfers who own for telling professional autograph seekers to kiss their rear end.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

"Why don't you go get a job" is a pretty loving dumb thing to say for a guy who plays a game for a living.

Adults who seek autographs are loving weird anyway, regardless if you're trying to make money off them or not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah that was a jackass response from spieth but I'd be getting really worn out on it too

E: I know it's driven Phil Mickelson nuts before.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 9, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Beautiful day for golf today outside of Denver. 60's, very little wind, course in nice condition for February. Par 4, you have to hit to a landing area, then to a green that's 50' below you. ~250 yards to good landing spot, but slightly downhill, so usually a 5 wood for me. Today, hit about 270, and had this shot to the green. Looked worse than it was, 150 or so to the hole, so getting it over the fence post was easy, but I was lined up with the tallest part of the fence.

IMG_20170209_110605_208 by B. B., on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh wow that's gorgeous

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

oh wow that's gorgeous

Fox Hollow. Well maintained, semi-mountain golf on 2 of 3 nines.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Aaaaaand Tiger has pulled out of the next two tournaments. I'm starting to think it really is over.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Suprfli6 posted:

Aaaaaand Tiger has pulled out of the next two tournaments. I'm starting to think it really is over.

It's over until he can teach himself to swing like a 40 year old and not like an 18 year old.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Tiger needs to go to Germany and get the Regenokine injection poo poo like Freddie Couples, Kobe and others have done.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQYhOc-lfGV/

I can relate.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Am I the only one that thinks Bill Murray trying to be funny at this tournament every year is super forced? Let it go, Bill.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is so loving dumb: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/11/european-tour-golf-team-event

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Bill Murray trying to be funny at this tournament every year is super forced? Let it go, Bill.

Nope. It's really tiring

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

Nope. It's really tiring

And still 100% more entertaining than Chris Berman.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

And still 100% more entertaining than Chris Berman.

Dying of cancer is more entertaining than Chris Berman.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Man I must need to get my head checked out. 5 loving three-puts, 40 putts total. My short game is in a goddamned shambles. In addition to the putter massacre, I lost about 6 shots from chili-dipping or blasting short shots over the green.

Started off the round by missing a 6 foot birdie putt and making a knee knocker. Second, I missed the green by 4 feet, chili dipped a chip then three putted. Third Par 3 was on the fringe from 200 yards, took me three to get in. gently caress hole 4(seriously it's a bastard, not a single mishit and still doubled). Birdied 7 :toot: Hit a bad left tee shot on 9, hit a hybrid from 210 yards out into a greenside bunker, the proceed to blast that over the back of the green, chili dip another chip then two putt. 10, chunked a half wedge and two putted ( 40 yards left in 2). 11, 3-putt from 20 feet. 12, missed pin-high left, chunked chip 2 putt. 13 bad mishit, got mad, gently caress the world. 14, gently caress that hole( giant oak in the middle of the fairway surrounded by bunkers ). 15, very uphill with a tree in the middle of the fairway, smashed a tee shot and still had 200 left, sucked an elephant cock around the green. 16 reachable par5, perfect tee shot, went for it at 220, came up a little short but in good position, skulled chip through the green, texas wedged it to 10 feet and missed. 17, missed pin high left, chunked two chip shots 2 putts. 18 missed fairway right, ball 18" above my feet from 200 out, hit it pin high 20 yards right, skulled chip, two putts.

As I said before, I am hitting the ball solidly, moreso than I ever have, but goddamn the results aren't any better. Thanks for letting me rant in here.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

I'll just leave that here, probably one of the nicest courses I've ever played from a scenery and condition standpoint. This is #18 at Playa Mujeres Golf Club.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quite lovely, that

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thebushcommander posted:

I'll just leave that here, probably one of the nicest courses I've ever played from a scenery and condition standpoint. This is #18 at Playa Mujeres Golf Club.
I was going to talk about being all jealous except it's 65*F and sunny so I could actually be playing golf right now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Farking Bastage posted:

...13 bad mishit, got mad, gently caress the world...sucked an elephant cock around the green...

You're a wordsmith.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Do you guys want a new, not 2015 thread title?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This should be the prize for something.

https://usuckatgolfing.com/products/lay-ups-are-for-basketball

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Golf Megathread 2017: OWww my back!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Flog Megathread 2017: OWww my back!