Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The guy with the guns won't allow it, so good luck with those elections (before planet fall anyway)

Quick question though: where IS the weapon cache? Is it on a drop pod? Would it need to be moved to one first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Volmarias posted:

The guy with the guns won't allow it, so good luck with those elections (before planet fall anyway)
The military would still be in command until planetfall, of course. The elections wouldn't be meant to enforce an immediate power structure, just to kickstart the colony planning before the pods are dropped.

If he refuses even this arrangement, then we might have a legitimate argument to space him.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

JT Jag posted:

The military would still be in command until planetfall, of course. The elections wouldn't be meant to enforce an immediate power structure, just to kickstart the colony planning before the pods are dropped.

If he refuses even this arrangement, then we might have a legitimate argument to space him.

We already have a good reason to space him, so legitimizing sou ds good to me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

You are approximately 1 week out from your new planet when two things happen at almost the same time. Oldcastle approves more significant breaking maneuvers peaking at up to 3.5g for 30 minutes at a time and frequently hours at 2+gs. Even during the lower acceleration periods the ship is experiencing 1.8gs now. The Herald of Humanity is only rated to withstand 3.4gs but smart engineers give themselves very comfortable margins. The engineers who designed the Herald were the best humanity had to offer. 3.5 is within the zone that can be endured for a short period of time.

As a result of the high acceleration, all the passengers and non-critical crew are confined for to their acceleration beds for long periods every day. The passengers swap colonization pod assignments around on their own initiative, self-sorting until entire colonization pods have only members from a single faction. In some cases this splits families up. With a wife favoring one faction and a husband preferring another. Despite this self-imposed isolation tensions continue to rise between faction members. The tight quarters and short rations would be enough to make anyone irritable even without the added pressure of debating what the future of the entire species should be. The only time they really mingle now is during meals. Even the shifts working on the hydroponic "vegetable fields" have been segregated by Jennifer Skye after she had to break up two fights during a single shift with mixed factions.

At meals the arguments between faction members are loud and long. The other officers speculate that Oldcastle is using meal times as a pressure relief valve. That he's hoping by letting them argue only when they are eating he can keep them relatively calm and bleed off some of the tension in a bid to keep things from getting any worse. However, Oldcastle doesn't share his reasons with anyone these days.

At about the same time, a rumor starts spreading through the ship that there is a stowaway. A stowaway who murdered the original captain and 10,000 passengers. According to one version you heard, Oldcastle is actually a vampire stowaway who stole the real Oldcastle's face and drank the blood of all 10,000 passengers to keep himself alive. There are many other versions of the rumor ranging from those fairly close to the barebone story of someone having been using the spare cold sleep beds that you started to the truly fantastic. Some involve alien pirate changling doppleganger Illuminati ninjas.

3 days later, with 4 days left to go in the voyage, Oldcastle (Preservers) calls a conference with all the department heads and Nweismuller Meyerson (Magnates). You decided to support The Second Chancers & Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev instead of further splintering the last hope of the human race, so you take the seat to her right. Botanist Jennifer Skye sits on her left. Yurika has no objections to democracy in principle as long as there are strong safeguards to ensure long term consequences are appropriately weighed and at your urging has agreed to consider instituting some form of democracy once the colony is safely established. But the exact details are something to be worked out in the future.

"You have no doubt heard the ridiculous rumors running through the Herald. I am neither a vampire nor the leader of the Brotherhood of Nod." A few nervous chuckles run around the room but are quickly silenced by his next statement. "However, there is a small grain of truth in these rumors. Many of our spare cold sleep beds have been heavily modified. The logs indicate that this was done during your watch, Drake." The use of Doctor Moreau's first name is a studied insult. Doctor Moreau is incensed anytime his full title isn't used and loathes his first name. A military police officer steps in through the only door out of the room. He stands at ease in front of it but you can see that the peace strap on the taser holster has been snapped open, allowing for a quicker draw. Oldcastle continues, "I would like to hear an explanation for that."

Doctor Moreau (Unfettered) thrusts himself out of his seat, either fearlessly or arrogantly ignoring the armed guard. "I modified 8 beds to preserve biological samples while I slept. I needed them to prepare pallatives for every possible disease vector after landing in order to keep our passengers and ourselves safe. You have no right to meddle with my medical preparations! I, and I alone, have the learning necessary to make good judgements in medical matters."

Oldcastle (Preservers) calmly replies "Indeed Doctor. 8 of the cold sleep beds were modified. 2 more had their logs erased. What do you know about that?"

"I didn't touch the other 4 beds. Who did? Who dared to meddle with yet more of my masterpieces? Probably the murderer! Did you check the inside of the beds? Even in cold sleep people lose enough skin cells during the wake up process to provide a DNA sample. Additionally, the filtration system will still have small quantities of blood in it. There are commands to flush the beds but most people don't know about them and it isn't done automatically."

"Jim (Military police head & Preserver); check that out after this meeting and compare any DNA found to that on file for the crew. If there are no matches, collect DNA samples from all the passengers, starting in colonization pod 1 and work through them sequentially." You know that the Preservers ended up with the first and eighth colonization pods. You also know that it takes about 4 hours to process a DNA sample and run a comparison. If you have a custom built machine. There is one, but its packed away in the colonization supplies. The medical bay on the Herald has several machines that could be converted, but even at 4 hours a sample it would take more than 27 years to identify the murderer. There is no way they're going to get through everyone. The murderer is going to be allowed to land on your new home. Oldcastle will never hold elections while the murderer is free.

"Moving on to the next order of business, I want to give you all a better look at what our new solar system looks like. Anders has prepared packets for all of you and his staff has compiled simplified versions that you can distribute to the passengers."

"We are now close enough to our destination to have good readings on all the planets in this solar system."

"The star is somewhat cooler and smaller than the sun we were born with. It is a K-type main sequence star star that is approximately 69% the mass of and 64% the radius of the Sun. It has a temperature of 4925 K and is 7 billion years old. This makes it almost half again as old as the sun. Because it has a smaller and has less of a gravitational pull, the inner solar system is smaller than the sun's. Surprisingly, it has 5 planets inside the inner system, one more than back home."

"By convention the planet closest to the star is labeled B. Both B & C are absurdly close to the star and are tidally locked. Completely unlivable."

"D is also ridiculously close. Closer to its star than Mercury is to the sun. While it is not yet tidally locked will be in only a few thousand years. The atmosphere is a hellish brew including substantial amounts of Bromine and Flourine. Breathing it would be lethal even if the average daytime temperature wasn't 387°C."

"E is within the habital zone, but is a dead rock. Completely lacking an atmosphere, and therefor largely useless to us."

The second, larger, moon is on the far side of the planet in this image
"The last planet in the solar system, F, is our destination. It has a surface gravity of 1.5g, half again what we were born with but after the last few weeks of hard decellaration, we'll feel light as a feather."

"The Axial tilt is 26° which will make for very significant seasons and we can already detect small ice caps on both the North and South poles. Despite the high percentage of Carbon Dioxide in the air. The major components of the air are 79.2% Nitrogen, 19% Oxygen, and 0.8% Carbon Dioxide. I hope everyone brought their summer shorts. It's going to be hot. The average temperature so far has been 17°C. That's less Oxygen than our doctor's would really like, but its offset by a sea level pressure of 2 atmospheres. We may be able to breath outdoors."

"Worryingly, we're not seeing anything like as much green as we'd expect with that much oxygen in the air and the surface of the planet is 40% land with 3 major land masses."

"In orbit around the planet are 2 moons with orbital periods of 60 & 40 days so we can expect some bright nights when they're both in the sky. Even stranger, our new home has a ring."

"There's only 1 planet in the outer system, an ice giant but it's a long ways out. We've already passed it's orbit but it is on the other side of the sun from us currently so we're not getting a very good look at it. With so few planets between us and the Oort cloud, asteroid impacts are a very real danger, and we should expect to see meteor showers fairly frequently. It's a good thing we don't still think comets are bad omens. If we did, the passengers would quickly conclude we're all doomed."

"If you have any suggestions for the name of our new home, hand them in to any of the MPs or deputies and they'll see that your suggestions reach me. I'll announce the name of our new planet at noon tomorrow."

1) What do you want to name the planet?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HooboyWhattaplanet :v:

Chthonia*

*because I'm hoping for carnivorous megafauna

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hardrock.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AJ_Impy posted:

Hardrock.

You know, I actually thought about suggesting that too

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Chiron

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Given how things are going, Erebus

edit-changed vote below

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 12, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wait, also, ask the faction leaders what they think the planet should be called.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Jorune

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

AJ_Impy posted:

Hardrock.

Hell yes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Don't give it a name, let a name evolve naturally over the next few generations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AJ_Impy posted:

Hardrock.

:patriot:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Wait, also, ask the faction leaders what they think the planet should be called.

Commander Ernest Oldcastle (Preservers) - New Hope

Doctor Drake Moreau (Unfettered) - Zerus

Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev (Second Chancers) - Salusa Stronk

Chaplain Freya Silvstedt (Children of God) - Harmony

Colonist Nweismuller Meyerson (Magnates) - Glame

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias posted:

Quick question though: where IS the weapon cache? Is it on a drop pod? Would it need to be moved to one first?

In case this wasn't seen

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

LLSix posted:

Commander Ernest Oldcastle (Preservers) - New Hope

Doctor Drake Moreau (Unfettered) - Zerus

Chief Engineer Yurika Pavlovich Korolev (Second Chancers) - Salusa Stronk

Chaplain Freya Silvstedt (Children of God) - Harmony

Colonist Nweismuller Meyerson (Magnates) - Glame

Ok, changing my vote to Salusa Stronk

Edit-Changed vote again, see below

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 12, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I did miss this, sorry. It is on one of the colonization pods/landers. Each lander is large enough to hold 5k people, so there's plenty of space to hide things.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LLSix posted:

I did miss this, sorry. It is on one of the colonization pods/landers. Each lander is large enough to hold 5k people, so there's plenty of space to hide things.

Priority, we need to be on that drop pod.

Also sabotage El Capitan's pod.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LLSix posted:

Can I presume that, when everyone started dividing into different pods, we politely but firmly suggested to Yurika that our group needed to be in that pod for, you know, no specific reason mind you, but it's important.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

We can but hope

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Can I presume that, when everyone started dividing into different pods, we politely but firmly suggested to Yurika that our group needed to be in that pod for, you know, no specific reason mind you, but it's important.
That is a reasonable concern.

Half of the landers only have supplies for after landing in them and so are still sealed. The weapons are in one of the sealed landers.

I don't know if I made it clear enough, but half the Landers are 100% of the cold sleep pods for the passengers. The other half contain all the equipment and supplies. There are no Landers that have both passengers and supplies.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 12, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Y'all mothafuckas need Yggdrasil. 'Cause if we're goin religious we're going metal.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

Y'all mothafuckas need Yggdrasil. 'Cause if we're goin religious we're going metal.

As an Asatruar I +1 this motion

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Blasphemaster posted:

I like it better than Hardrock. Another +1

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

This

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DyxaCYlfg

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Whattaplanet
Hexenritter

Chthonia
Hexenritter

Hardrock.
AJ_Impy
Deadmeat5150
dont be mean to me
nothing to seehere

Chiron
Hot Dog Day 80
sheep-dodger
Volmarias

Jorune
Rockopolis

Yggdrasil
Blasphemaster
Hexenritter
Lord Cyrahzax

Here's the count so far. I'm touched that Hardrock is tied for first place. I'm going to get started on the update now but the vote will remain open until the next update. I'm not sure how much time I'll have today. If the vote is still tied, I may pick one name for the planet and the other for the first city.

Sorry Volmarias, got you now. Updated through nothing to seehere.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I voted Chiron too :colbert:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Hardrock

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Yggdrasil

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Something hard to pronounce might confuse the aliens.

Yggdrasil

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

IG-drass-ill, not hard at all

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

HardOn

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Hardrock

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Voting Yggdrasil.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The update isn't finished and I don't think I'll get it done tonight. Should be able to post sometime tomorrow though.

Whattaplanet
Hexenritter

Chthonia
Hexenritter

Hardrock - 5
AJ_Impy
Deadmeat5150
dont be mean to me
nothing to seehere
JamezBfod

Chiron
Hot Dog Day 80