Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Q

Eat the drat thing. Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

a cat irl posted:

That's not how voting works though? C and R both count as getting rid of the necklace and I'd wager Diog will weight them together against "eat"

Mmm, not sure sure about this one.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Q. Eat the necklace!

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Changing vote (maybe?) to "IF not eating it is counted against eating it, C. If not, R.

Screw you, that should be a valid vote, and I'm sticking with it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

UppaTree posted:

Changing vote (maybe?) to "IF not eating it is counted against eating it, C. If not, R.

Screw you, that should be a valid vote, and I'm sticking with it.

can't evening vote properly, just smh

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Umm, I just heard on IRC that were voting on eating a hand grenade necklace. Did Enkindle become suicidal or something?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
R

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

RandomPauI posted:

Umm, I just heard on IRC that were voting on eating a hand grenade necklace. Did Enkindle become suicidal or something?

No what is now happening is that between two sane options splitting the vote, it leaves room uncontested for the joke option to be selected.

It's a metaphor.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Should have sacrificed it instantly you bastards

kalam
Oct 30, 2010
C.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Changing from H to C

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
C

Every once in a while we seem to get a contingent of people who don't really care and just want the "lol funny" option, even after several retcon deaths. It's both fascinating and stupid.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

RandomPauI posted:

That's his secret. He's always suicidal.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Beastyfella posted:

C

Every once in a while we seem to get a contingent of people who don't really care and just want the "lol funny" option, even after several retcon deaths. It's both fascinating and stupid.

I genuinely think that eating the necklace is the safest option here due to Nephilim magical digestion. Sorry if you disagree.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Changing from R to C.

Holy poo poo people are really good at making bad decisions. Art mirrors life.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
Q

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Beastyfella posted:

C

Being fair, the whole point of the game is to be fun, yeah? And it's more fun if we can do some crazy poo poo every now and again (I'm honestly not all that against R even if I'm pushing for C) - being constanty dour and making only the safest choices can be pretty bland, especially if it ultimately involves doing mostly nothing. I think the issue is probably that doing the 'right thing' 95% of the time ends up building the pressure, and it tends to reach boiling point when (a) there's no clear 'right' answer and (b) the extreme nature of the situation leads to chances for extreme wackiness. The scenarios where those two factors are most likely to collide are unfortunately really dangerous ones.

Maybe we should compromise and try and do some less fatal, more absurd stuff in our daily lives, even if it means a bit of a hit to rep. Spend more time with Lefkandi. Open up Ur's first clown college. Decide to take part in the life of Ahaz our mining son.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
You act like we didn't just break a shitload of cultural norms to sneak into a neighboring city and get into a battle of wills with a guy summoning demonic fire.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Infinity Gaia posted:

I genuinely think that eating the necklace is the safest option here due to Nephilim magical digestion. Sorry if you disagree.
Would you also genuinely think that this option could leads to the worst possible result if it backfire?

Pun not intended

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You act like we didn't just break a shitload of cultural norms to sneak into a neighboring city and get into a battle of wills with a guy summoning demonic fire.

Sure but we didn't exactly do that in the interest of being crazy and irreverant, did we? If you're talking to the people who want Enkidel to invent baseball and lead the Mighty Men to glory by developing a combat/baseball strategy that has us homerun Fare's head into Asherah's maw while Baitel ticks the scoreboard and Ishamal and Amok do the running commentary, giving them 'well we snuck into a city in open defiance of cultural norms' isn't going to cut it.

The point is it's not just about doing unusual stuff, but about doing things purely for the fun of it.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Haven't we tried eating inedible things when not in hunger mode and it just doesn't work?

Like we can't just chew up rocks whenever we want.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Hellsau posted:

This is some sort of Asherahan conspiracy isn't it? You're trying to make us all admit that water (Asherah) is stronger than both fire (Nusku) and air (El). I'm onto you, FaustianQ, or should I say SHUSHEM?!

I miss Dad :(

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Cornuto posted:

Haven't we tried eating inedible things when not in hunger mode and it just doesn't work?

Like we can't just chew up rocks whenever we want.

That's a dishonest comparison. Normal rocks are not magical in nature; the necklace clearly is.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
Change R to C

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

welp, and all the folks changing their vote are going to make Team RetconHunger win :sigh:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
This issue isn't that we can't eat a magic necklace. The issue is were about to eat a magic necklace that going to explode. If we don't digest it in time we're going to die. Our stomach can dissolve magic poo poo but it can't dissolve rocks, if it blows up were going to spray guts everywhere. If it works great, but it seems like there isn't much time before it blows (like, seconds) and that isn't enough time to choke it down. This is a terrible bet.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Zybourne Clock posted:

That's a dishonest comparison. Normal rocks are not magical in nature; the necklace clearly is.

... so we can eat magic rocks when not in hunger mode based upon what?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

welp, and all the folks changing their vote are going to make Team RetconHunger win :sigh:

It seems very unlikely Diog wouldn't weigh an 'eat' votes total against the 'destroy' votes combined total.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
B. Nm, forgot I already voted

Mexican Deathgasm fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 12, 2017

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
C

Jesus is colourblin posted:

LET MOUNT HAR DO WHAT IT DOES AND THEN SACRIFICE THE RUBY.

If we do C we can just grab it back up again if it doesn't get destroyed by whatever it's about to do. Plus, I'm not sure this thing contains as much blue stuff as the giant orbs did, even if it does seem like it COULD contain some. The drips of bluestuff from worship and from the Anaki have to be smaller than just shoving generations of people in there whole.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

FoxTerrier posted:

It seems very unlikely Diog wouldn't weigh an 'eat' votes total against the 'destroy' votes combined total.

I dunno. All three major vote getters seem like unique ideas for dealing with the necklace. One hopes water beats fire, one hopes brute force and distance does the trick, the other hopes our iron stomach does the job.

Combining R and C to beat Q seems unfair.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Outrail posted:

This issue isn't that we can't eat a magic necklace. The issue is were about to eat a magic necklace that going to explode. If we don't digest it in time we're going to die. Our stomach can dissolve magic poo poo but it can't dissolve rocks, if it blows up were going to spray guts everywhere. If it works great, but it seems like there isn't much time before it blows (like, seconds) and that isn't enough time to choke it down. This is a terrible bet.

Also, let's assume we do eat the necklace and it doesn't explode.

Our men just watched us eat a magical rock - That is beyond the scope of acceptable weirdness they will take from us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

the_steve posted:

Also, let's assume we do eat the necklace and it doesn't explode.

Our men just watched us eat a magical rock - That is beyond the scope of acceptable weirdness they will take from us.

Also possibly this. But at this point we could probably drink Snarls piss and they'd just mentally blank it out.

*I saw that but I'm not processing that. Nope. The bossman does things and he has a reason for doing things. This gets filed in the increasingly expansive folder titled 'Nope'*

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Cornuto posted:

... so we can eat magic rocks when not in hunger mode based upon what?

The necklace is going to explode instead of summoning a fire demon, based upon what?

Magical fire is going to be extinguished by ordinary water, based upon what?

Enkidel can throw an explosive far enough to keep everyone out of its blast radius, based upon what?

The 'Enkidel can only eat magic things when he's in Hunger mode' is an argument that willfully ignores his experience with Gebeb's soul-orbs. He wasn't in hunger mode when he ran into those things, but they sure looked appetizing.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Just claim it is a lost mighty power. They did just see us defeat a sorcerer with our mind.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
Changing from B to C.

And count updated.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Look, I get the motivation to do crazy poo poo for its own sake, just..Could we do it when lives aren't on the line? Chasing after an angelic messenger screaming questions is funny, "lol eat a grenade" is only funny if it works. and there's a chance it won't.

We ate one magical item, once. It was made out of white stone/tree bark ("Flesh of the Mountain") and we were perilously close to HUNGER. Also, it distinctly looked like food.

The ruby does not look objectively delicious in the same way the flute, or giant soulstones, clearly did. There is a pretty good chance that means it's not metaphysically edible in the same way.

quote:

The necklace is going to explode instead of summoning a fire demon, based upon what?

Magical fire is going to be extinguished by ordinary water, based upon what?

Enkidel can throw an explosive far enough to keep everyone out of its blast radius, based upon what?

1: Doesn't matter. Something BAD VERY BAD is going to happen, and it's better that it happens somewhere else.

2: Generally, water extinguishes fire. He claimed his god would boil the sea or some poo poo, but he also claimed we couldn't kill him, that the power of El and the Melachim (which we've seen decide numerous battles) is nothing compared to his god's power (which we choked out with our mind), and that chopping your cock off is a path to divine power. Other than the word of a delusional bullshitter, we have no reason to believe it can flash-boil a river.

3: Throwing harmful things far away is a proven way to reduce harm. Eating them is not. If the blast radius is so large that Enkidel's throwing arm can't clear it, then the only viable answer is a batshit insane write-in option - does that seem likely at all?

UppaTree fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
R

Breaks it if it's breakable, get's it away from us if it's not. If it's summoning a demon, then we can track it down outside of the city.