Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Woo! Happy decennary, LP Archives! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
EDIT: The test post I put here has since been deprecated. Thread coming soon!

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 9, 2017

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm not a regular sandcastle contributor and don't have much experience with video LPs, but it sounds okay. The second guy's microphone is a bit rough but nothing terrible. The pace was a bit slow, though, especially at the start of the video while you're checking out mechanics. I assume the clip's from a little bit into the run so maybe the start of the game is a stronger hook. I don't know if you want to edit it down a bit to something more "highlight reel", although pacing the videos to end with the punchier scenes where possible rather than some of the more mundane bits like going back to save might help. Then again, if you're going in blind it'll be harder to guess where the big scenes are and when it's safe to cut.

I've also got an LP design question of my own. I like party-based RPGs like Icewind Dale, and especially like getting character submissions from the audience for them. Just opening submissions up first-come-first-serve is a bit of a spotty way to do it, though, especially if you can't open submissions on the first post. People might get excited with the first update about a character but then miss the second update and their chance to submit. More complicated systems like people voting for their favourite submissions (as I had in my Sims Medieval LP) are cumbersome and can make the problem worse if it gets people set against a character they didn't vote for before you even have a chance to introduce them.

I'm thinking in particular of games like Baldur's Gate or Pillars of Eternity where there's a difference between the main character and the supporting party members so you might need the first update to make and introduce them specifically and can't collect reader submissions at the same time. Are there some good examples of party-submission in Let's Plays I could look at?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Check out berryjon's Exile LPs and see if that works for you. You could also just have people submit ideas and take what you like best. Doesn't have to be a democracy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I took submissions for my Avernum LP, I just let people submit for awhile (most of a week, IIRC), and then picked the ones I liked best. You don't need to let the audience decide which of the characters get chosen, and I absolutely would not recommend using a first-come first-serve basis unless you expect to be churning through characters Dwarf Fortress-style.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I did first-come-first-serve for Storm of Zehir and it worked great, although I may have gotten lucky (and obviously had some caveats like "no pop culture references or flatly offensive"). I'm not a big fan of picking from the suggestions myself because a big part of the appeal of doing a party LP is to take the party-selection process out of my hands so I end up with a party I wouldn't have invented on my own.

Thanks for the berryjon suggestion though, that looks like a similar sort of situation. It's probably not really a big problem or anything, but I do feel like how audience participation is handled has the potential to colour the whole thread.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Dolash posted:

I'm not a regular sandcastle contributor and don't have much experience with video LPs, but it sounds okay. The second guy's microphone is a bit rough but nothing terrible. The pace was a bit slow, though, especially at the start of the video while you're checking out mechanics. I assume the clip's from a little bit into the run so maybe the start of the game is a stronger hook. I don't know if you want to edit it down a bit to something more "highlight reel", although pacing the videos to end with the punchier scenes where possible rather than some of the more mundane bits like going back to save might help. Then again, if you're going in blind it'll be harder to guess where the big scenes are and when it's safe to cut.

Yeah, unfortunately without spoiling myself I don't have a ton of control over when the exciting parts happen, so that's why it goes save to save (mostly). I picked this one both because this is where the game starts to open up and because it had a very slow part and an action part. I'm pretty sure this is the longest we stay in one location, and I've been trying to keep things moving a little more as we go on. I'll consider editing a bit more, but that's hard to do without making the game incomprehensible.

Thank you for taking time out to watch it!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I need some advice on how to handle character portraits. I'm planning to do Paper Mario as a SSLP, which is kind of a pain for various reasons I'll get into once I start the LP, but right now I'm stuck on character portraits. The main issue is that my best bet is using character sprites, but the sprites themselves have large size variations, which means if I do consistent portrait sizes like 64x64, there's a lot of ugly blank space, but I can't really go lower than that without doing some ugly resizing that throws scale right off. 50x50 helps with that, but it also means I have to resize the larger sprites such as Bowser, which can look rather ugly.

Mainly, I want to see which one people think look the best, or if there's a better alternative I can go with (I've thrown around the idea of using other Mario game sprites, and I've even made very rough sprite edits for the game's partners when I toyed with LPing this game several years ago, but I really don't want to make special edits for each unique character model, such as the entire Goomba family so I'd rather avoid that option if possible).

This is kinda long so I posted all my options in the SSLP test poster.

Feedback is much appreciated!

e: Added a couple more options for left-oriented 50x50 portraits.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like 50x50 Bowser Face Left.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
While I can understand the reasoning behind making the right aligned portaits an option, aesthetically speaking it just looks better if you stick to either the left or center aligned portraits. I'm leaning towards either Bowser Body Middle, or Bowser Face Left.

e. 50x50 for both of those suggestions.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I love how nonsensical this all sounds out of context

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think Bowser Face is better than Bowser Body; it emphasizes the size discrepancy between Bowser and the other characters. In fact I'd say the first option (Bowser Face 64x64) looks fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I love how nonsensical this all sounds out of context

Out of context, it kinda sounds like stuff the Half-A Press guy would say about speedrun strats.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think Bowser Face is better than Bowser Body; it emphasizes the size discrepancy between Bowser and the other characters. In fact I'd say the first option (Bowser Face 64x64) looks fine.

This, it really nails the effect of Bowser being huge. 64x64 is also a boon because you get quite a bit of detail.

Edit: Oh right, Left align is best, Center is ok, Right is weird.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 5, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm throwing in my vote for Bowser Head 64x64 Left because it really helps show off the size difference and has a lot of detail. Also I just like the left alignment because it's clean.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
I like the 64x64 head left. In addition to getting Bowser's due across, its easier to make it the other characters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Definitely going left-orientation, Bowser Face, and probably 64x64 at this rate but may still go 50x50 later.

Much appreciated, and hopefully I'll get the LP up sometime tomorrow!

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

Let’s Exterminate Our Emotions in Lux-Pain!

What is this?

This Lp involves a dark Urban fantasy adventure/visual-novel released by Kilaware games as a Nintendo DS exclusive. The story follows Atsuki, a shadowy quasi-government operative, as he secretly investigates the growing threat from mind-controlling parasites which invade a small coastal city housing its own dark mysteries. Take control of his day-to-day undercover activities as he desperately tries to save a wide and varied cast of characters from the darkness dwelling in their own hearts, all while uncovering the truth behind his own personal issues and his troubled relationships with his fellow operatives. The brain child of 2 former employees of Atlus fame, set to an OST filled with beautifully atmospheric music composed by Kenji Ito, and encompassing a wide thematic scope spanning sobering subjects from suicidal ideations to genocide, Lux-Pain was certainly an ambitious title for a new IP from an indie developer.

Sounds awesome! Let’s get… wait a second. I know that title. What is this?!

Ah shucks, you caught me. Although everything above is factually true, and despite its shiny pedigree, Lux- Pain is a critically panned train-wreck which helped nail the coffin lid down on its own screaming developer. With an unfocused plot, repetitive gameplay, and a legendarily awful NA localization/translation, it is well known for being one of the worst titles on the Nintendo hand-held. Localization aside, the story still suffers from a scattered narrative, poor pacing, reams of irrelevant high-brow dialogue, and extraneous “scribble” game mechanics which breaks the flow of tension. It’s like a cross between a knockoff Persona series and a coloring book, without the fun of the former or the catharsis of the latter. In other words, it’s a hot mess.

Won’t this be a grueling slog then? Why are you even doing this LP?

Because I’m masochistic I feel that it’s important to analyze any work of art, no matter how bad it may be, in order to figure out what could have been done better, what was done well, and to discuss the message within and the effectiveness of its delivery. Plus it’s amusing to make fun of its cringe-worthy script that even the voice actors decided was trash and “gently caress it, we’ll do it live”. Moreover, despite all of its many (MANY) flaws, I actually like the spirit of the game. The tone is dark and cynical but not in an overwrought way, and I feel the philosophical and psychological concepts are engaging. The localization is rightfully shunned by all, but the underlying story and heart behind the game is like a small diamond CZ in the rough. Additionally,the sheer audacity of the script gets unintentionally narmy and hilarious at times. As such I think it deserves to be laid bare, grotesque warts and all, for our enjoyment/bile fascination.
Also, since I didn’t play many videogames at all while growing up, Lux-Pain happens to be the first visual novel/anime-like game I ever played. I bought it before a long deployment along with a Nintendo DSi, SMT: Strange Journey, and SMT: Devil Survivor, because they were the only portable games in stock in the mini-mart on base before I left. Playing it with fresh eyes and zero expectations or ideas about the genre allowed me to compare and contrast it with the other games I bought, helping me enjoy the experiences of all of them much more. Without those three games being my gateway drug I never would have become the happy anime and game-loving nerd I am today, so I thought it should be my first LP as well!

So what do you bring to the table for this LP? You’re like an expert now right? With a breadth of knowledge in game design, or comedic talent, or…?

Not in the slightest. Outside of my job, which gives me a generally acceptable grasp of basic grammar (I’m kind of like a journalist in the Navy), I am as much an expert on games/the gaming industry as your average dude and even less funny. Some of the excellent LPs I’ve read (especially those that showcase usually-thought-to-be bad games) are well-informed and highly detailed looks at the game in regard to the industry, or the music, or the development process. I, however, am just doing this for fun, to riff on, and to maybe spark discussion on how the game was handled and generally get discussion going on what I think is an interesting and underappreciated work(for as bad as it truly is). If there are any people who want to chime in, or actually are experts that want to help/derail the discussion, by all means do so as that would be excellent and right in line with what I’m trying to achieve.

Alright, I’ll bite. How’s this gonna work?

This is going to be an informative screenshot LP with minimal video updates, mostly because bandwidth here and on deployment is awful. I will try to update 3 times a week or more depending on how long of a backlog I have on hand. The plus side of my job is that when I’m not working I have plenty of downtime so I don’t foresee that becoming too much of an issue. I'm not good at keeping my mouth shut, so any time I'm adding personal commentary or failing miserably to be funny I'll type it in italics. This being my first LP, feel free to let me if I screw something up with the format or the mechanics of my updates via PM in order to avoid cluttering the thread. That said, if I'm too boring or you have suggestions that will help you guys enjoy this weird rear end game, let me know and I'll try to oblige.

Oh wow, that new character is totally going to-

Stop! No uncensored spoilers please; if we haven’t seen it happen, don’t talk about it yet. If you have to say something then use black bars; I know the plot is muddled as hell, but the game is so hard to get into/confusing that a lot of people haven’t finished it yet. On a similar note, there are multiple endings. I will be trying for a “good ending” but if people want to I can show the other endings down the line sometime.

Without further ado, let's get this poo poo-show rolling!

Update list:

Update 1: Introducing Emotional Pest-Control. And Crazy Kids.

(Update 1 is complete, but please note that i am currently redoing the short video/music links, my computer is just acting up right now.)

Comments? Concerns? I am at your mercy. :negative:

e:image size fixed, thanks Systemlogoff!

sandnavyguy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 6, 2017

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I don't have time for a full read right now, but I would get something like irfanview and use it to batch size your images 2x larger. (Turning off resample and the "better quality" options)

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
There was an abandoned Lux-Pain LP previously, if you wanna dig for it to take a look. If you're typing all the dialogue manually, maybe you could just copy/paste from that thread until you catch up? Since manually transcribing stuff is a pain in the butt.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I wish you luck with Lux-Pain man. It is not the easiest thing to LP, especially when trying to clean up its translation and I hope when transcribing you copy from the voiced clips and not the text, where that's applicable because that part is way more sane and sensible.

Also, uh, don't use JPGs for your images. They should be PNGs. The single-screen images are also a little off in their size; they should be 512x384 not 512x380. Minor, but at least they're easy to fix.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

asymmetrical posted:

There was an abandoned Lux-Pain LP previously, if you wanna dig for it to take a look. If you're typing all the dialogue manually, maybe you could just copy/paste from that thread until you catch up? Since manually transcribing stuff is a pain in the butt.

Ah yes, I saw the lp after I had already almost finished my update, but Dragonatrix transcribed mostly the voice actor's dialogue along with some of the actual subtitles, and I'm going to try to stick to the original localization in the actual text, so we can see just how off the rails the story gets in contrast with their spoken lines. That said, you're right it can get to be a pain :words: . Thanks though!

e:

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I wish you luck with Lux-Pain man. It is not the easiest thing to LP, especially when trying to clean up its translation and I hope when transcribing you copy from the voiced clips and not the text, where that's applicable because that part is way more sane and sensible.

Also, uh, don't use JPGs for your images. They should be PNGs. The single-screen images are also a little off in their size; they should be 512x384 not 512x380. Minor, but at least they're easy to fix.
Thanks! and Hmmm... Dragonatrix you bring up a good point. Would it be better just to showcase the awful text as we go along and stick to the VA's renditions then? And thanks for the info and I'll fix the extensions/sizes. Thanks!

sandnavyguy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 6, 2017

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyone know what's going on with Tindeck right now? All of the tracks I just uploaded are refusing to play, and on further inspection some of the tracks I uploaded last week are also refusing to play.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Tindeck is probably making GBS threads the bed like it did a few months ago. Either wait it out for a week or two while it sorts out its poo poo or look into alternative hosting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
And remember that lpix lets you upload MP3s now, if they're not too big.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Many of Tindeck's uploads randomly break. I've had to reupload each MP3 file for my last update several times before it worked.

LPix or self-hosting is probably the best option at this point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
LPix has a 10 MB limit per MP3 file, so that's something to keep in mind.

I've been using Clyp to host music links in my LP. It does have a 100 MB limit per file if you don't have an upgraded account.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

10mb is a lot for an audio file.

Then again, 10mb more to pile onto Baldurk, so I guess if you have someone else to pawn it off on, go hog wild.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I noticed that (according to the master list) there's no complete/ongoing LP of Total War: Warhammer. I'm a TW veteran and I've played a decent amount of TW:WH (close to 200 hours). It looks like most of the previous TW LPs have been hybrids and that's what I was thinking: campaign map is screenshots, battles are video. 48 hour vote thing is what I will do in the live thread, not what I'm actually asking for right now. With that in mind, a test post:

Anyway:

________

Stupid name, super game: Total War Warhammer

Howdy folks, and welcome to Muffin's LP of Total War: Warhammer.

As a huge fan of both Total War and Warhammer (why yes, I am single, how did you guess?), I hoped against hope that this would be good and, well...

It really is.

Despite its awful name (apparently it wasn't allowed to be "Total Warhammer" for legal reasons), I'd argue TW:WH is the strongest game in the series so far. It looks gorgeous, every race plays differently while still being viable, and there's no giant "gently caress you" events like Shogun 2's realm divide. It's absolutely packed with character, and like Warhammer Fantasy (RIP) it has a real sense of humour about itself while still keeping the stakes high. The only real downside is that CA are milking the already-strained wallets of warhammer fans by releasing a constant stream of small-but-expensive DLC. I, of course, bought all of them so you don't have to.

The basics

If you're new to Total War, it works like this: there's a top-down turn-based campaign map where you construct buildings, recruit armies, deploy agents and move your forces around. When armies clash, the game switches to a smaller real-time strategy game, where you command large blocks of units in epic battles. TW: WH differs from previous entries in a few important ways

1) armies may adopt 'stances' that modify how they move in exchange for bonuses/penalties. An example you'll see used a lot is 'march', which doubles movement speed but prevents the army from attacking on that turn, and means the troops will be wearier if they come under attack.
2) Heroes (previously 'agents') can be embedded into armies and will actually take part in any battles. On one hand, they take up a slot that would otherwise be occupied by a full unit of men. On the other hand, they bring powerful magical abilities to the field that (if used correctly) can be devastating assets.
3) Instead of being a whole lot of individual towns and cities, towns and cities are organised into provinces. If you control the whole province, you can set specific bonuses that affect all settlements inside it. Provinces also can have a influence on neighbouring provinces -- a simple vampire tactic is to grab one settlement, build a Witchfire Brazier which zombifies all the surrounding land, then watch the rest of the province, and eventually the surrounding provinces, go all Resident Evil and tear themselves to pieces.

Where do I come in?

There's gonna be a degree of reader interactivity in this one. Firstly, you're gonna choose a race.

The Empire

The normal human guys. Heavily based on the Holy Roman Empire, right down to the whole thing where it's a fractured mess of a hundred different German-ish city states all trying to intrigue their way to the top. The Empire don't particularly excel at anything, but don't have any glaring weaknesses either. They're very adaptable, like the humans from every single spec-fic video game ever. They also get a bunch of weird gunpowder tech like hwanchas and Leonardo Da Vinci's steam tank, and a few supernatural units like griffons. Empire don't offer a lot of interesting gameplay, but there's also likely to be a lot more opportunities for the readers to intervene and choose which paths we go down.

Being the basic humans is a bit of a red herring: unlike every other basic human race you'll see in strategy games, they're actually really hard to play. They have a garbage starting position, and all of their decent units (not their best ones, just the ones that don't suck) take a long time to start producing. You're gonna be getting hit from all sides while trying to rebuild an Empire riven by civil war, and it ain't gonna be easy.

Dwarves

Probably the most reliable army in the game. Dwarves are tough, unyielding, and grumpy as poo poo. Their units tend to be small and expensive, but a single dwarf is worth five of any other race. What they lack in mobility, they more than make up for with a ridiculous number of ranged units. On the campaign map, Dwarves have a strong economy and the ability to access underground tunnels to make up for their lack of raw movement speed. They also have a special 'grudge' mechanic that means if the dwarves suffer defeat, failure to exact revenge will make your cities grumpier and grumpier until they erupt into all-out revolt.

Clan Angrund are a special dwarven group that get unique rangers and also a bunch of ghost heroes to represent the pissed-off ancestors of the clan rising from the dead to go wreck poo poo. Clan Angrund have a terrible starting position that makes them probably the hardest race to start off with.

Wood Elves

Taking the term "treehugger" to a whole new level, the Wood Elves live in their twee magical forest and murder the poo poo out of anybody who so much as looks at them funny. The only race with a chance to out-shoot the dwarves, the Wood Elves are a nimble glass cannon that tend to rely on ambushes and general fighting dirty. Their map campaign is totally different from anybody else: there's a sacred tree in the middle of their forest that they need to grow to a certain size, then they win. Growing it however, requires going out and capturing nearby settlements to harvest for precious amber, and those settlements can't be built up or defended to the extent anybody else could -- the wood elves are not defenders. A Wood Elf game will be less focused on expansion, and more about punishing any fool who dares step foot into our end of the woods.

Argwylon are a special Wood Elf group that relies more heavily on tree spirits like driads, and massive Ent-like treemen.

Orcs

Orcs love to smash. The designated comedy race, the Orcs basically stumble from fight to fight like a bunch of drunks after their team lost the football. Their units are large, cheap, and highly enthusiastic. They can raid enemy territory for extra income, which they have to because their economy sucks otherwise. Orcs are joined by goblins -- smaller, more cunnin', no less brutal. Goblins like to take mushrooms and charge into battle swinging a flail larger than their own body.

The Crooked Moon Clan are an Orc group specialising in goblins -- they get even more goblins, even cheaper, but have a hard time recruiting orcs. The Bloody Hand Clan are orcs so backwards and primitive that even other Orcs think they're kinda weird -- they get a variety of tough berzerker units but have an even crappier economy than regular orcs. Both of these clans are pretty difficult to play.

Vampire Counts

You know them, you love them. Taking equal inspiration from modern zombie movies and classic horror flicks, the 'counts are an endless horde of dead flesh that slowly grinds the enemy down to dust. VC tend to play very aggressively, because casualties matter a lot less -- there are always more zombies. Of course, zombies are hot garbage in combat, so VC tend to rely very heavily on small, elite units like Blood Knights to do the real damage while the expendable zombies hold the line.

In the campaign map, VC have got really solid heroes, and the ability to taint ground - making it harder for enemies to hold, occupy and move through. They're pretty unremarkable otherwise, but also pretty solid and reliable. Offers a lot of opportunities for evil laughter, Christopher Lee impersonations.

Warriors of Chaos

A marauding horde of no fixed abode, Chaos are easily the most all-or-nothing race in the game. A single lost battle can be the end of a campaign, so it's good that chaos are tough as nails; individual chaos warriors are more than a match for dwarves or other elite units, and elite chaos units are juggernauts in their own right. Always outnumbered but never outgunned, a chaos game will have almost no city-building but a whoooole lot of battles as we bounce from city to city leaving devastation in our wake. You wanna be the villains from a cheesy 80s fantasy movie, these are your guys.

Beastmen

Where chaos goes, they leave twisting energies behind them that turn ordinary men into goat-headed monstrousities. Even chaos keeps their distance from these lunatics. Gameplay-wise, beastmen play like a hybrid of Wood Elves and Warriors of Chaos -- relying heavily on ambushes and mobility to compensate for their lightly-armoured and cowardly units. Another landless horde, beastmen are less tough but also a lot harder for enemies to pin down. One of our first ports of call is gonna be to invade that poncy elf forest and burn their stupid tree down.

This is your first major decision. Feel free to ask more indepth questions about the various races. After 48 hours, I'll tally up votes. Choose wisely, goons.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 12, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This doesn't really tell us much - maybe try to do a mock update of a turn/battle with the vote already done? It's fine as an OP but tells us nothing about the LP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Also, there's a major, kind of capstone update for the first game coming out on 28th and introducing the final playable faction (Brettonia). You might want to wait for it before LPing the game.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

baldurk posted:

Yeh I updated to HSTS on lpix last night, I forgot about the uploaders that might barf instead of picking that up.

For sharex I think it's a simple fix, just update the config to point to https. When it POSTs to http://lpix.org/api it redirects and only does a GET to https://lpix.org/api which is why it fails. I updated the config if you want to copy paste.

For rightload it's more of a ball-ache. It ships a version of curl, but rightload is so old that the curl dll is from 2008 (!) and can't handshake, and the cert bundle it includes isn't up to date. I've updated the plugin but the install is more involved now since I have to include an updated curl + openssl + cert bundle. So when you get the zip, there are two dlls to put in the root of rightload's folder alongside the exe, and then a plugins folder where you copy the stuff in from there.

Also I make no guarantees that the rightload poo poo is safe/secure, only that it seems to work for me when I tested it. Fun fact: if I return https as the URLs on lpix from the plugin, the bbcode stuff completely breaks and just prints "{Unknown URL}" because it doesn't understand what to do with https. So I had to return http anyway and rely on your browser to do the right thing. The fix for that is to stop using an old abandoned program, I guess.

FYI.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hey baldurk, is the API at https://lpix.org/api actually documented anywhere? Since these automatic uploaders all seem to be for Windows so I wanted to put something together that doesn't need Windows (unless somebody knows of a similar program already existing for Linux or MacOS)?

Also, let me add to the appreciation of the time and effort you spend to maintain all these services! :v:

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

ivantod posted:

Hey baldurk, is the API at https://lpix.org/api actually documented anywhere? Since these automatic uploaders all seem to be for Windows so I wanted to put something together that doesn't need Windows (unless somebody knows of a similar program already existing for Linux or MacOS)?

Also, let me add to the appreciation of the time and effort you spend to maintain all these services! :v:

I added some simple documentation in if you just visit the API url. It's fairly simple/self-explanatory.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

baldurk posted:

I added some simple documentation in if you just visit the API url. It's fairly simple/self-explanatory.

Yep, that seems simple enough, thanks a lot!

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Side note, I've also now configured https + HSTS on lparchive now, so that should all work fine with linking and image hosting from the forums.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the 16th game in the Zelda series, barring the infamous CD-i titles and other spin-offs. Released in 2011, game was a celebration of the series' 25th anniversary, and holds a special place at the very first game in the official Zelda timeline. Whether it lived up to such an important landmark is up for debate, but the importance the game has to the lore can't be denied. Long, long before Hyrule, the humans lived on floating islands above the clouds. Link, with his best friend Zelda, enjoy a peaceful life in Skyloft, the main sky island of the game. Alas, dark forces are at work, and soon enough Link finds himself on a journey to save his best friend and the world. With less-than-reliable motion controls and a sidekick that never shuts the Hell up, Link has quite the journey ahead of him.

Why this game?

The Legend of Zelda is a series I hold close to my heart, one of the first video game franchises I was introduced to along with the likes of Mario and Sonic, to a lesser extent. So, why not start with a franchise I love so much? Why Skyward Sword specifically is that I plan on doing virtually the entire franchise barring one or two games (mainly the Four Swords games). But really, I just want to have fun, and enjoy the aspect of talking over a game that I somewhat enjoy. Granted, this isn't my favorite Zelda title. Far from it, as it's probably my least favorite game I've played in the franchise. That being said, I manage to get some enjoyment out of it, if only to maybe laugh at some of the stuff I find ridiculous.

About the LP:

This LP is non-live. I've already recorded the entire playthrough, from start to finish. All I have to do now is add my commentary to it, and I've actually gotten about halfway through with that. I was going to wait until I had the whole thing done and release the episodes periodically over a month or so, but I got antsy and decided to start a thread for it now. One important thing I should mention is that I didn't 100% the game, and had no intentions to. In my opinion, it's not worth it. You get nothing special at the end for doing so, so why bother, right? That being said, I do manage to get almost every Heart Piece in the game, and do go out of my way to get every last Goddess Cube/Chest and Gratitude Crystal. It had been roughly five years since I last played the game before I started to record gameplay several weeks ago. So, in a way, it's a half-blind LP. I didn't remember every single plot point, and even forgot a twist or two as I played along, so I found myself almost experiencing a lot of material for the first time. I try to go for a semi-serious commentary, where I forgo explaining game mechanics to poking fun at the game, which I find reasonable considering how much the game tends to, arguably, over-explain things.

Schedule:

No particular schedule in mind, really. No specific days of the week for uploading. I do want to have at least two or three videos uploaded a day, but that might always be the case.

Spoiler?:

Like I said, I already beat the game, so I don't mind spoilers.

PROLOGUE

Part 1 - The First Link
Part 2 - The Crimson Loftwing
Part 3 - Loftwing Rescue

This is my first LP, so I'm hoping I do okay. I admit I was a bit nervous near the start, but I found myself quickly breaking into the mold before even the prologue was over. I hope the OP is alright, I modeled after a couple of OPs I've seen while lurking this part of the forum.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I read your OP and watched bits and pieces of your first video.

First, one note on the OP: It's of course completely fine to allow spoilers, but I'm slightly surprised that you took "I've already completed the game" as a reason over "most viewers will already know the plot of this game". But that's really minor.

Concerning the video, first of all, is it me or is the recording quality a bit low? Even with Youtube at the highest resolution... I don't remember Skyward Sword looking quite this low-res. Fake edit: After looking up some other people's recording, yeah this one def seems to be lower recording quality.

Secondly, I noticed you constantly talking over the opening cutscene. It felt like you were trying to fill every moment of the video with your own words, which gets annoying after a bit. A bit of quiet is completely fine and gives viewers the opportunity to focus on what the game has to say. But that might just be your start-up nervousness.

Other than that, as far as I could see in my quick look, the LP seems fine.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

I read your OP and watched bits and pieces of your first video.

First, one note on the OP: It's of course completely fine to allow spoilers, but I'm slightly surprised that you took "I've already completed the game" as a reason over "most viewers will already know the plot of this game". But that's really minor.

Concerning the video, first of all, is it me or is the recording quality a bit low? Even with Youtube at the highest resolution... I don't remember Skyward Sword looking quite this low-res. Fake edit: After looking up some other people's recording, yeah this one def seems to be lower recording quality.

Secondly, I noticed you constantly talking over the opening cutscene. It felt like you were trying to fill every moment of the video with your own words, which gets annoying after a bit. A bit of quiet is completely fine and gives viewers the opportunity to focus on what the game has to say. But that might just be your start-up nervousness.

Other than that, as far as I could see in my quick look, the LP seems fine.

First note - My bad, for whatever reason I was under the impression of spoilers were fine for the OP when people did that. I'll change that, then.

I can't really afford fancy equipment, unfortunately. This is the best I've managed to get the quality to be.

Second note - I guess I didn't see a problem in talking during the opening. People talk over cutscenes, opening or otherwise, in LPs all the time that I've seen, so I just did that as well. The only time I've seen people do otherwise are games with voice acting and no subtitles or brand new releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You can spoil whatever the gently caress you want, it's your thread