Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

My old P5Q Premium has 4 Ethernet ports.

I keep telling myself I'll use it as a router someday.
that 110w idle power usage though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think the best, most noble use for these old things is to suicide run overclock them. A volt modded viking funeral.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I think the best, most noble use for these old things is to suicide run overclock them. A volt modded viking funeral.

Mine doesn't OC worth a drat, which is probably why it was open box. I needed a replacement for my dad gigabyte board.

Right now it's my NAS.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

The best bang for your buck 1TB NVMe is the Samsung 960 Evo correct? Even though it's TLC? Or should I just go the M2 Sata route and skip NVMe? I was thinking that since this will be going into a laptop, a NVMe would be great for faster reboot times.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Best value is the Intel 600p, and you likely will never feel the slow writes. That being said, there are plenty of new NVMe drives coming out in the next few months.

Samsung's are top of the mark at the moment, in both performance and price. They know they don't have to discount anything until the space rounds out more.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Welp... I have benchmarks for the intel 600p 1TB.

This is on a Z270 board with a 7700K. I'm pretty sure I have all the relevant drivers and whatnot installed. I can do another test if people are interested. I'll have the thing for at least another 24 hours.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 2TB NVMe drive in my new laptop sure seems nice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jago posted:

Welp... I have benchmarks for the intel 600p 1TB.

This is on a Z270 board with a 7700K. I'm pretty sure I have all the relevant drivers and whatnot installed. I can do another test if people are interested. I'll have the thing for at least another 24 hours.

You should at least put a tab in the background entitled "How to take a screenshot" if you're gonna do this gag...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Easier than signing into my accounts on a system that isn't mine.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So my parents just bought a 256gb Lexar portable SSD for the use of just generalised portable storage as they move around a lot. A mix of documents and media and they had an old failing platter drive.

Not heard of them in the context of SSDs before (formerly IBM owned?) are they poo poo or passable?

edit: mostly the worry was about tossing around a platter drive in handbags etc. Just wanted to know if it should be returned or not or if it's adequate.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The 2TB NVMe drive in my new laptop sure seems nice.

The 1TB NVMe in the new 2016 MacBook Pros are insanely fast already, I can't imagine the 2TB model.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Samsung's are top of the mark at the moment, in both performance and price. They know they don't have to discount anything until the space rounds out more.

True. I guess I was disappointed that the 960 EVO didn't use MLC and the warranty was lowered to 3 years.

The 1TB intel 600 looks tempting though with 32gb of cache, I probably wouldn't feel the write bottleneck. But I always had good experiences with the Samsung 850 Evos. I guess I'll stay in for a weekend and pack lunch for a week, and spend that extra $100 for the Samsung 960 Evo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

The 1TB NVMe in the new 2016 MacBook Pros are insanely fast already, I can't imagine the 2TB model.
The only somewhat decent macOS SSD benchmark seems to max out at 2000 MB/s so I can't get accurate numbers, and I'm too lazy to install Windows 10 just to run benchmarks.

edit: I assume the numbers would turn out very similar to the 2TB 960 Pro's benchmarks anyway

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The only somewhat decent macOS SSD benchmark seems to max out at 2000 MB/s so I can't get accurate numbers, and I'm too lazy to install Windows 10 just to run benchmarks.
Couldn't you just use dd and open activity monitor?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

3D Xpoint update:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/optane-3d-xpoint-intel-p4800x-cold-stream,33624.html

Reiterating: 3D Xpoint is for enterprise workloads with very high IOPS at low queue depths on a smallish (few hundred GB) quantity of data. It is not an optimization for your gaming rig.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dat 12.3 PBW tho :eyepop:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rastor posted:

3D Xpoint update:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/optane-3d-xpoint-intel-p4800x-cold-stream,33624.html

Reiterating: 3D Xpoint is for enterprise workloads with very high IOPS at low queue depths on a smallish (few hundred GB) quantity of data. It is not an optimization for your gaming rig.

So you're saying it won't hurt my gaming rig, are you...and it has high numbers...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

So you're saying it won't hurt my gaming rig, are you...and it has high numbers...

I'll take fifty.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'll take fifty.

RAID 10 for your gaming rig, I assume.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

RAID 10 for your gaming rig, I assume.

Three RAID 5 arrays striped in Windows

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We are RAID 1 but every mirrored element is an unnecessarily nested and convoluted heap of storage hardware glued together without consideration for drivers, protocol, or real use case by consumer Intel rapid storage technology gently caress reddit

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 10, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only take tips from LinusTechTips, the premiere media group for technology.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The DC P4800X purportedly offers up to 30 DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) of endurance, which measures how many times you can fill the drive per day over the warranty period. 30 DWPD is unheard of for NAND-based SSDs; the most endurant modern SSDs top out at 10 DWPD. The DWPD metric can be muddy due to differing capacities, but overall, the DC P4800X can absorb up to 12.3PB of data during its service life. Intel's 450GB DC P3520 SSD, which is NAND-based, can withstand only 590TB, so apparently, 3D XPoint offers almost 21x more endurance than NAND.

Hot sex. Still, not 1000x greater endurance than NAND like the hype said way back when.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just hit order an a 960 Evo, for the system drive. I don't know why I'm excited, but I am.

But I wanted to ask, what's the cheapest, 1TB Sata SSD worth a drat? This is for storage / steam backups / files for projects I've completed, and the like.

Thanks SSD goons.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Just hit order an a 960 Evo, for the system drive. I don't know why I'm excited, but I am.

But I wanted to ask, what's the cheapest, 1TB Sata SSD worth a drat? This is for storage / steam backups / files for projects I've completed, and the like.

Thanks SSD goons.
x400 and mx300 are in a race to the bottom in regards to cheap drives that actually have any performance

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

x400 and mx300 are in a race to the bottom in regards to cheap drives that actually have any performance

But the x400 does have a high endurance rating as well as like either 3 or 5 year warranty. When I was SSD shipping for a friend the x400 500 was what I decided in based on those two factors.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just moved a failed experiment with a FusionIO drive to my desktop.

1.2tb of :rice: for all my VMs.

R:

W:

This is just acting as a VM store in addition to a 950 Pro NVMe boot disk.

Pretty sure I'm good on storage these days.

Enterprise storage is p cool

Walked fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 11, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

redeyes posted:

Hot sex. Still, not 1000x greater endurance than NAND like the hype said way back when.

Might have been oversold but this is also the first iteration of this brand new memory type

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WhyteRyce posted:

Might have been oversold but this is also the first iteration of this brand new memory type

Yeah the devil is in the details and this stuff is rad. I want it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure. I have a 250gb ssd with Windows 8.1 and some games, and a 1tb hdd. I picked up an additional 500gb ssd today and plan on using it to store games as well. Here's the question:

The secondary SSD will run games faster/better than the hdd, right? Will it run games as smoothly as the primary 250gb one?

I'm assuming yes to both.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

vandalism posted:

This is a stupid question, but I just want to be sure. I have a 250gb ssd with Windows 8.1 and some games, and a 1tb hdd. I picked up an additional 500gb ssd today and plan on using it to store games as well. Here's the question:

The secondary SSD will run games faster/better than the hdd, right? Will it run games as smoothly as the primary 250gb one?

I'm assuming yes to both.

You'll be able to load games faster, yes. You won't get any performance/framerate improvements unless you're playing How Fast Can I Move These Files Around Simulator 2018.

Assuming the same model SSD, you should get about the same performance between the two. The larger one may be faster, but it's unlikely you'll notice a difference with regards to game load times.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Actuarial Fables posted:

You'll be able to load games faster, yes. You won't get any performance/framerate improvements unless you're playing How Fast Can I Move These Files Around Simulator 2018.

Assuming the same model SSD, you should get about the same performance between the two. The larger one may be faster, but it's unlikely you'll notice a difference with regards to game load times.

That sounds good and makes sense. Witcher 3 takes quite a bit longer on the hdd and I'm hoping putting it on the secondary ssd helps.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Reading about people loving around with CSM settings with M2 NVME drives - what's the deal and recommended settings?

Also, if running a single Samsung 960Evo in M2, is it best practice to uninstall Intel RST and just use the Samsung driver?

Going to do a fresh install of Win10 on an Asus Z170i. Silly questions but I'd rather ask here before the drive arrives.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Actuarial Fables posted:

Most people refer to this as Skyrim

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Most people refer to this as Skyrim

There's a whole thread dedicated to Skyrim file moving aka modding.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Reading about people loving around with CSM settings with M2 NVME drives - what's the deal and recommended settings?

Also, if running a single Samsung 960Evo in M2, is it best practice to uninstall Intel RST and just use the Samsung driver?

Going to do a fresh install of Win10 on an Asus Z170i. Silly questions but I'd rather ask here before the drive arrives.

The CSM stuff is only used for compatibility with old stuff, like if you were installing Windows 7 or booting off of some wacky system repair boot drive or something. You won't need to mess around with it for a modern OS like Windows 10.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are there mSATA to SATA adapters that work at 6Gbs speeds?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Are there mSATA to SATA adapters that work at 6Gbs speeds?
not sure if this actually tests as that, but it's advertised as such

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-Adapter-Components-SD-ADA40107/dp/B01GSTBXRA/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

td4guy posted:

The CSM stuff is only used for compatibility with old stuff, like if you were installing Windows 7 or booting off of some wacky system repair boot drive or something. You won't need to mess around with it for a modern OS like Windows 10.

Thanks for the info - I'll leave that at default.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

There's a whole thread dedicated to Skyrim file moving aka modding.
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-960-evo-nvme-ssd-review,4802-2.html

This article concerns me. I ordered a 960 Evo for my laptop that is supposed to arrive this week. After reading the review, the 960 Evo supposedly draws a lot of power where you lose about an hour or two of battery life.

Anyone with either a Samsung 960 Evo or 960 Pro install theirs in a laptop? If so, was the power usage that much of a difference? I'm thinking of just installing this SSD into my desktop and grabbing a sata m2 or OCZ RD400 if battery performance is that bad.

The article is from novemeber so hopefully it was just a bug that Samsung fixed. I can do a report back with the original NCMe drive vs the 960 Evo once I get my laptop shipped from Dell.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 13, 2017