Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Black Pants posted:

Also, dehumanize yourself and face to AE2. :v:
PO2 has iron chests, if you don't like AE2 at least use those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Black Pants posted:

I love when people who haven't played modded in a decade/have never played modded before are so enthusiastic about their learning process that they post about it like this.

I can't remember if PO2 has Storage Drawers or any of those low-tech sorting solutions but the Big Mother of all storage options is the Applied Energistics 2 'ME system'. It's, uh.. a hell of a thing for people to get their head around the first time. It's well documented and there are a lot of guides, but it's pretty unlike how most other things work in Minecraft.

The first time you face AE2 you go slightly mad because oh my god why.

The second time you face it you either download the mod with the non-poo poo inscribers or add some sort of alternate recipes for the chips.

The next time you play a mod without AE2 you go slightly mod because oh my god why.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

The first time you face AE2 you go slightly mad because oh my god why.

The second time you face it you either download the mod with the non-poo poo inscribers or add some sort of alternate recipes for the chips.

The next time you play a mod without AE2 you go slightly mod because oh my god why.
I agree, but it's still been several worlds since I've had the patience to go through the :effort: of doing a full auto crafting setup. Not since Blightfall.

Like Thaumcraft research, it's just too much of the same basic infrastructure junk once you've done it once or twice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's when you add in layers of complexity to your auto-craft setup. Like having your machines inside the smallest Compact Machines you could possibly fit them in (not recommended, it has a tendency to crash badly)! Or go full aesthetics and hide all the piping.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ImpactVector posted:

I agree, but it's still been several worlds since I've had the patience to go through the :effort: of doing a full auto crafting setup. Not since Blightfall.

Like Thaumcraft research, it's just too much of the same basic infrastructure junk once you've done it once or twice.

I mean, even if you're not doing mega-autocrafting the convenience of having everything in a single inventory, that's searchable, connected to a crafting grid. It's practically painful to do without.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Okay, got another noob question about Tinkers Contstruct. I've made a bunch of casts, but how do I make actual tool parts? I can put the casts in the casting basin, but nothing happens when I click the faucet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

I love when people who haven't played modded in a decade/have never played modded before are so enthusiastic about their learning process that they post about it like this.

I can't remember if PO2 has Storage Drawers or any of those low-tech sorting solutions but the Big Mother of all storage options is the Applied Energistics 2 'ME system'. It's, uh.. a hell of a thing for people to get their head around the first time. It's well documented and there are a lot of guides, but it's pretty unlike how most other things work in Minecraft.

I tried to watch a Direwolf20 video about AE2 and I fell asleep before he got to the part where I am able to store things. I went low-tech. Meet the Storage Box 3000™ It's basically just a cube of Drawers with a Drawer Controller on top to dump everything in. Double sided for extra storage! I got a couple Barrels for the Cobblestone, as it wouldn't all fit in a drawer:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

Okay, got another noob question about Tinkers Contstruct. I've made a bunch of casts, but how do I make actual tool parts? I can put the casts in the casting basin, but nothing happens when I click the faucet.
You need to put the cast in the casting TABLE, then pour your liquid junk on that. The basin is basically just for making blocks of material instead of ingots.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

I tried to watch a Direwolf20 video about AE2 and I fell asleep before he got to the part where I am able to store things. I went low-tech. Meet the Storage Box 3000™ It's basically just a cube of Drawers with a Drawer Controller on top to dump everything in. Double sided for extra storage! I got a couple Barrels for the Cobblestone, as it wouldn't all fit in a drawer:

You can build drawer upgrades that bump up the capacity like mad. I think they can get up to thousands of stacks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Sounds like a good way to go about it.

For simple storage with AE2 all you need is a monitor (ideally crafting monitor so you can craft right there), a drive to store cards in, some cards, and a power accepter. Don't worry about the rest of the poo poo really unless you're the type to sperg out over computer networks. But otherwise, a massive house made of storage drawers is still better than a wall of chests.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rutibex posted:

Shift-right click a storage door to slot it an upgrade. You can increase your capacity for things that you have a lot of. As always, NEI knows how to craft the upgrades. They're cheap.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I had to turn channels off with AE2. That poo poo was stupid.

Also, does Refined Storage + Reborn Storage work with 1.7.10?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am almost tempted to recommend Rutibex try my BFSR stuff for storage tutorials just for the giggles of it all. Like, Rutibex has done this stuff so much longer than me that any scathing criticism from it would make me just think, "Aww grandpa you still love me, right?"

Storage drawers in truth are a very good thing and get people to organize stuff for long enough to tool up to AE2. I generally treat that mod's quirks as a kind of interesting engineering problem outside of the luck involved in getting presses and charged quartz. You might just not nail it.

It also sucks to have to rely on somebody's YouTube video to figure that poo poo out:

"Hey, everybody InuyashaGoku here and uhhh today uhhh we are like going to uhhh do AE2 I hope by the end but first here are umm some things I uhhh did in my base wait let me kill this creeper."

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I had to turn channels off with AE2. That poo poo was stupid.

Also, does Refined Storage + Reborn Storage work with 1.7.10?
No, Refined Storage was made for 1.9 first due to the lack of a storage mod like AE, I believe.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It also sucks to have to rely on somebody's YouTube video to figure that poo poo out:

"Hey, everybody InuyashaGoku here and uhhh today uhhh we are like going to uhhh do AE2 I hope by the end but first here are umm some things I uhhh did in my base wait let me kill this creeper."
Minecraft Youtubers are the loving worst. I have like, one MC video, but I'm not talking and just killing a thousand chickens or so (I made the video for a friend who likes chickens).

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I got a couple Barrels for the Cobblestone, as it wouldn't all fit in a drawer:

Have a look at the Compacting Drawer, if you make 4 and have one each for Cobble, Gravel, Sand, Dust you'll be happy with the outcome

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rutibex posted:

EnderIO has an inventory panel that takes a little bit of infrastructure to set up (you'll need a vat and a way of constantly putting zombie flesh, netherwart, and water into it) but you can just connect it to that drawer controller and it's both so much easier than AE2, but also way funner to expand and set up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh lord yes. It's so hard to find a video that's not just someone making "jokes" or blabbing on about nothing.

That said, this guy has a really good, well-done SkyExchange series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3e14exB92LIDdMhgBAmr0Y1PqWvPZFNC

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Haha okay yeah that's a suitable way of doing it too. I don't think I ever actually found any of the videos explaining AE2 useful though, actually. It wasn't until I poured over the official documentation and mashed the pieces together myself that I actually figured any of it out.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
Are the drawers really just as simple as "plonk down storage drawers connected to controller and good to go"? I've never touched them (for some reason I can't remember) and just always slogged my way to an AE network.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

What have I been doing with my life? :cripes:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
If you want to get into AE2 for autocrafting, I'm pretty sure you can slap a storage interface on the drawer controller and have access to the contents of your storage drawers network via AE2, as well.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pi In The Sky posted:

What have I been doing with my life? :cripes:

You can also use the connector block from the mod, I think "Trim" that acts to connect a bank of drawers - for example if you want a 90-degree bend you'd put blocks of trim in the part that's hidden. Or use locked empty drawers perhaps?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hey I have a quick question, I've never played a skyblock map but kind of want to get into it - if I play with a friend then what happens with all the quests, do we both have to complete them individually to keep up with each other? Like all the PO2 quests needing you to collect stuff, are we going to just need to swap materials all the time?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Daynab posted:

Hey I have a quick question, I've never played a skyblock map but kind of want to get into it - if I play with a friend then what happens with all the quests, do we both have to complete them individually to keep up with each other? Like all the PO2 quests needing you to collect stuff, are we going to just need to swap materials all the time?

You can arrange it to share quest completion, I think if you define that you're on the same team, inside a setting in the quest book.

For example, you're logged off and your buddy completes all the Agricraft quests - when you log in, you'd see all the quests as completed and you'd be able to complete them. So you essentially get double rewards since you each get to collect them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Daynab posted:

If the quests are run by the HQM mod there's a way to get into a party with each other where you share quest progress.

e: yeah, that

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Alright, cool to hear. Thanks!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Played a bit more Project Ozone today. Things are starting to get a bit expensive, and I am having to make more exotic metals and stuff to keep pushing forward. I needed a good supply of Obsidian, but I was not going to make diamond pick and mine it out. I decided to automate the process. This machine can produce Water/Stone/Obsidian/Ice/Snow, I was already familiar with how Thermal Expansion works, it hasn't changed much since 1.2.5. I made a large Crucible array to produce enough lava to feed the Obsidian mode:

This is what I made with the Obsidian, a QED. It is for crafting more advanced Extra Utilities items. It was really annoying to build!

I used the QED to make energy transfer nodes, which I needed to craft the 8x Generators! My Sifting Machine now runs at 24x rather than 3x :D I have 15 of each upgrade in there, it really chews through the sift now. I also upgraded my Smeltery in order to accommodate the larger amount of smelting. I made a bunch more furnaces to process all the charcoal I need to run the things:

I made a portal to the Aether (it was a quest requirement). Looks like an interesting place, I can gather some resources here, though it seemed a little dangerous. I will come back here later and explore more, I just did an initial scout of the area this time.

Another side project. I sifted some dirt and got a grass seed. I made this patch of grass that has begun to spawn Fluid Cows! These cows produce some valuable liquids, I will capture them in safari nets and put them into a milking machine for their vital fluids. I know how to make a good milking machine from the Feed the Beast days. Milking was a good source of EMC :D

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Rutibex posted:

Played a bit more Project Ozone today. Things are starting to get a bit expensive, and I am having to make more exotic metals and stuff to keep pushing forward. I needed a good supply of Obsidian, but I was not going to make diamond pick and mine it out. I decided to automate the process. This machine can produce Water/Stone/Obsidian/Ice/Snow, I was already familiar with how Thermal Expansion works, it hasn't changed much since 1.2.5. I made a large Crucible array to produce enough lava to feed the Obsidian mode:

For what it's worth you could have made obsidian much more inexpensively! If you pipe from your lava gen into the side of a stone barrel from ex nihilo, you can then form obsidian by having water above the barrel. Once it's formed, you can pipe it out of the bottom of the barrel into a chest. Completely automatic, zero energy!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Is 2.5 GHz a bad clock speed to run some of the bigger packs?

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 13, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Danny Glands posted:

I recently upgraded from a really old 3.2ghz AMD Phenom II to a still really old but slightly less so AMD FX-6300 that I've overclocked to 4ghz, entirely on the basis that I wasn't able to play heavily-modded Minecraft and watch videos/streams at the same time. Granted I really overload my computer at all times so someone else might have a better time but still I dunno.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Danny Glands posted:

A toaster will run modded mc fine in a fresh world if it's 64bit and has enough ram.

It's once you start building stuff, or if you are playing single player, that you run into issues. Without knowing anything else, 2.5ghz is fine but you can't make a super mega base. You likely need to split it up between locations and be conscious of anything that causes frequent chunk updates.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Edminster posted:

For what it's worth you could have made obsidian much more inexpensively! If you pipe from your lava gen into the side of a stone barrel from ex nihilo, you can then form obsidian by having water above the barrel. Once it's formed, you can pipe it out of the bottom of the barrel into a chest. Completely automatic, zero energy!

Wait, does PO2 have automatic lava generation?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's part of Ex Nihilo; if you place a crucible above a heat source it will turn cobble into lava. The speed of the conversion is determined by the heat source so it's very slow with a torch, faster with actual lava beneath. I think there might be some mod fluids that make it faster still but i'm not familiar with them.

This can be completely automated with transfer pipes: item transfers across the top to insert from your cobblegen of choice, fluid transfers along the side to pull out the lava.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes. Cobblegen into crucibles.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I knew all about that (except for fluid transfer pipes; I forgot those were a thing). I thought you meant some kind of single-block thing.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Edminster posted:

I think there might be some mod fluids that make it faster still but i'm not familiar with them.

I know that Blazing Pyrotheum from Thermal Expansion works pretty good. I don't remember what the Lava multiplier was, but for Pyrotheum it was 7x on the source block and 5x for the flow.

Be very careful with that stuff, though. I put into my setup and it smelted all the cobblestone around it into smooth stone, then set the tops on fire. Containment wasn't lost, but if I had had any chests or other wood items next to it they would have definitely gone up.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pi In The Sky posted:

I know that Blazing Pyrotheum from Thermal Expansion works pretty good. I don't remember what the Lava multiplier was, but for Pyrotheum it was 7x on the source block and 5x for the flow.

Be very careful with that stuff, though. I put into my setup and it smelted all the cobblestone around it into smooth stone, then set the tops on fire. Containment wasn't lost, but if I had had any chests or other wood items next to it they would have definitely gone up.

Yeahhhh, I once made a huge wooden platform in PO2 and then placed some pyrotheum below the crucibles (oh god why). It ate its way thru the planks and fell into the void while setting the entire thing on fire.... That was a fun day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pi In The Sky posted:

A block of yellorium below the crucible does 25x, and is safe

A nuclear bomb does 50x, but if it explodes you'll have a bad day