Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
I went for a walk in Wilsons Promontory (Southern most area of Mainland Australia) and saw some things. Didn't get to the actual Southernmost point (imaginatively named South Point), thats on my to-do list

Ferns

Mountains

More ferns

Beaches

Water

Rocks, Plants and Sky

Rocks, Beach and Water

Clump of seaweed that looks like a heart

Big rocks

Friendly shingleback skink

Friendly wallaby with the container for my stove ruining the shot

Kinda hard to see but frequent entrant in "Top 10 most Venomous Snakes" lists, inconsiderately slithering towards my campsite. Didn't see him again though. I've always wondered what they would have called tiger snakes if they were discovered before tigers?

Nice sunset

All up 40km/2 nights of relatively easy walking. Bit of up and down, and really loose sandy beaches and some dunes to get over which were deceptively tiring. Weather was near perfect, not too hot, not windy, got a bit sunny at times, and no rain which has cursed my last few big-ish overnight hikes. Left the fly off my tent in the second night and slept under the stars.

Also jealous of anybody who has hiked Zion - I was there for a morning in November, probably had enough time to do Angels Landing, but no suitable clothing or footwear. To quote friend of mine who probably spends more time in a tent than under a roof; "I can't believe they let just anybody do this hike". Between that and the Grand Canyon and everything else in that area I'm sure I could have easily spent at least 2 weeks there and still not done as much as I would want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shrinking Universe posted:

Awesome pictures (including one Nope Rope)

That looks like an amazing time. Seeing that snake slithering toward my stuff might have made me call it a day.

I had my first actual summit today. Chief Mountain in Colorado at 11,709 ft. Relatively short hike but there were some amazing views. I had microspikes on and punched through the trail a few times, a cold reminder that I need to invest in snowshoes.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Yes, those Australia pics are great, thanks for sharing!

Nicknamed Imodium Falls due to the intense kayaking available at times:

This weekend I went out to a gorge on the western edge of the TN River valley. Over the last year I've been working my way out across the state from Nashville, and am now ready to get into Appalachia proper. I'm planning to hit the Big Frog Wilderness in the Cherokee Natl Forest next, and will eventually get into GSMNP. Due to potential crowds, that particular area isn't my highest priority right now though.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So I have a week off this May and I want to travel to one or more US National Park, preferably somewhere out west.

The plan is to stay in a national park lodge, frontcountry campground, with maybe a few nights of backpacking. Likewise, during the day we would do some moderate to strenuous hikes of 10-15 miles sprinkled in with some driving around, viewpoints, etc.

Any suggestions?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
You like mountains? Deserts? Etc?

It'll still be snowy in most of the mountain parks I think so that's something to take into consideration, but another place like the Grand Canyon in early May is doable (though getting hot down in the bottom of the canyon)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Awesome.

What kind of outdoor experience do you have and what do you feel like seeing?

May is early for most mountain ranges and trails will likely still be covered in snow or very soggy and blocked with downed trees that haven't been addressed by trail crews yet.

Determine what you would like to see and call up some ranger stations, they are a plethora of advice and offer suggestions for a trip.

If you can, maybe push the dates back into June. If not, look into a park that might be more accessible that time of year, something in the desert or California.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Flambeau posted:

Yes, those Australia pics are great, thanks for sharing!

Nicknamed Imodium Falls due to the intense kayaking available at times:

This weekend I went out to a gorge on the western edge of the TN River valley. Over the last year I've been working my way out across the state from Nashville, and am now ready to get into Appalachia proper. I'm planning to hit the Big Frog Wilderness in the Cherokee Natl Forest next, and will eventually get into GSMNP. Due to potential crowds, that particular area isn't my highest priority right now though.

Oops I quoted the wrong post.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Does anyone have any beta or experience with Selvaggio Blu in Sardinia? I'm interested in doing this trek, preferably without a guide.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks for all the suggestions for my trip out west. I have several ideas now.. Question about Angels Landing, is it really that bad? I do have a fear of heights, but I have repelled off a 40 foot tower in the Marines, I have done trails with steep drop offs, and climbed some rocks at summits (like the Chimneys).

That said after watching videos of Angels Landing they were nothing like that (not even close). My issue with heights is this. If I feel like I have a safety feature (for example a rail or cable to hold on to, or a border like a waist high wall) I am mostly ok. It is when I feel unsupported without the aid of any safety feature that my mind becomes my worst enemy. I can get vertigo if I'm not careful. To be honest I actually get vertigo when someone in my family goes to an edge without safety features or if someone is behind me when I look over an edge. I really want to do Angels Landing (it was exactly the experience I was looking for), but I'm not going to lie I am worried about it. That said I am the type once I start I will not turn around. Even if I have to crawl.

Fun fact: I honestly believe my fear of heights comes from my step-father picking me up at a dam, and acting like he was going to throw me over when I was a child. He actually did this several times when I was young. Don't do poo poo like this to your kids.

One more question, given that I will be in Colorado some the last week of May, is that way to early to hike a 14k like Grays Peak?

Flambeau posted:

I'm planning to hit the Big Frog Wilderness in the Cherokee Natl Forest next, and will eventually get into GSMNP. Due to potential crowds, that particular area isn't my highest priority right now though.

On a lot of trails in the GSMNP once you get a mile in most of the crowds disappeared. That said some of the most popular trails like Alum Cave Trail to Mt. LeConte (which is 11 miles and gains about 2800 feet) you will see people most of the way. Still Alum Cave to Mt. LeConte might the coolest trail in the GSMNP. This is my backyard, so if you need any advice about hiking there. For example to avoid most of the crowds to LeConte, take the AT from NFG to the Boulevard trail to LeConte (come down Alum Cave if you have 2 cars), or Hemphill Bald might be the most overlooked great hike in the GSMNP due to location or that Mt. Cammerer Lookout Tower has the best views. I am starting to hike in the Big South Fork this year, but I still have 4 hikes planned for the GSMNP.

Edit: A few pics from GSMNP

My son and I enjoying the view from the Clifftops on Mt LeConte.

Going down Alumc Cave Trail (my kids)

View from Hemphill Bald

My son in front of the best and tallest waterfall in the GSMNP, Ramsey Cascades.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 6, 2017

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions for my trip out west. I have several ideas now.. Question about Angels Landing, is it really that bad? I do have a fear of heights, but I have repelled off a 40 foot tower in the Marines, I have done trails with steep drop offs, and climbed some rocks at summits (like the Chimneys).

That said after watching videos of Angels Landing they were nothing like that (not even close). My issue with heights is this. If I feel like I have a safety feature (for example a rail or cable to hold on to, or a border like a waist high wall) I am mostly ok. It is when I feel unsupported without the aid of any safety feature that my mind becomes my worst enemy. I can get vertigo if I'm not careful. To be honest I actually get vertigo when someone in my family goes to an edge without safety features or if someone is behind me when I look over an edge. I really want to do Angels Landing (it was exactly the experience I was looking for), but I'm not going to lie I am worried about it. That said I am the type once I start I will not turn around. Even if I have to crawl.

I don't think you can predict how you'll react on angels landing until you actually start out on the ridge. That being said, I was more excited than scared when I did it, and there are only a few 10-20 foot sections that have no protection and are sketchy. The trail is actually pretty slippery in spots from the sand so wear good boots. The scariest part is all of the other dumbasses who are wearing sandals and dragging their 5 year olds up. I don't know when you're going, but hit the trail as early as possible to avoid the crowds ( seriously, start before the sun comes up). But most of all, enjoy the views, it's incredible all the way up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
if you are afraid of heights why do you think it be fun to subject yourself to them?

Imho valleys are far cooler then some barren mountain top. Gotta get as low as possible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bongwizzard posted:

if you are afraid of heights why do you think it be fun to subject yourself to them?

Imho valleys are far cooler then some barren mountain top. Gotta get as low as possible.

I actually prefer hiking mountain summits and ridges (open ridges are my favorite), and I like facing my fear (in a somewhat reasonable environment). I guess it gives me a deeper sense of accomplishment. The trail I posted in the picture above with the cable didn't bother me at all. Even in that Clifftops picture where I was sitting didn't bother. That said if I got any closer to the edge I would of crawled to it.

Edit: That said I live in the Knoxville, and our valleys are not like the valleys out west. People populate every valley they can.

marsisol posted:

I don't think you can predict how you'll react on angels landing until you actually start out on the ridge. That being said, I was more excited than scared when I did it, and there are only a few 10-20 foot sections that have no protection and are sketchy. The trail is actually pretty slippery in spots from the sand so wear good boots. The scariest part is all of the other dumbasses who are wearing sandals and dragging their 5 year olds up. I don't know when you're going, but hit the trail as early as possible to avoid the crowds ( seriously, start before the sun comes up). But most of all, enjoy the views, it's incredible all the way up.

I can't believe that people drag young kids up that trail. Honestly my biggest fear about the trail is having my own kids up there (16 and 18). It is the feeling that I'm giving up control of their safety. Yes after watching the video my first thought was to be first up that morning. I am just going to have to give it a lot of thought.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 6, 2017

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

marsisol posted:

Seriously, beat feet up there as early as possible to avoid the crowds. We started about 20 minutes later then we wanted to and almost got pushed off of the side on the way down by some moron who was trying to get their kid down to the bathroom. The fewer people you're trying to navigate around the better. You do have chains in most of the trickier places so if that's all you need to feel safe then you'll probably be fine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I actually prefer hiking mountain summits and ridges (open ridges are my favorite), and I like facing my fear (in a somewhat reasonable environment). I guess it gives me a deeper sense of accomplishment.

I'm pretty afraid of heights as well, and for some dumb reason spent about six years working as a rigger, so spending 8 to 15 hours every day either crawling across I-beams in the ceiling or bouncing along in a boom lift.

I never really stoped being afraid of heights, I just got used to being afraid all the time, which is not in anyway worthwhile.

Another advantage to being a member of Team Low is that relatively few people like to hike around for marshes or wetlands, so even on weekends you can get a lot of solitude in.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I was thinking about pulling the trigger on this tent for my girlfriend and me to share during the wetter / cooler months:

http://www.steepandcheap.com/sierra-designs-flashlight-2-ul-tent-2-person-3-season

Anyone have experience with it or other suggestions? We mostly want something enclosed from insects, not terribly heavy (our current tent is 6 lbs. that we split between the two of us which isn't the end of the world but still kind of excessive), and acceptably roomy? Neither of us is tall or fat (maybe be but only like early-stage fatness) or big or anything so I think the dimensions would also be good.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
My girlfriend and I are looking to plan a trip during her spring break (mid March) and are considering Havasupai & Grand Canyon areas. Any writeups or tips on day trips or single-night trips in those areas? Or alternate plans/ideas in the southwest (we are from SoCal) if you think that these areas will be too cold still in the next month?

We have the basics as far as backpacking gear is concerned but have only either done day trips or camped at a campsite accessible via car.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
you could do 1 or 2 nights in the canyon itself; it's heavily trafficked and phantom ranch is a nice backup plan

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I are going snowshoeing for the first time this weekend. We were able to get into an REI class for next weekend but it is intermediate instead of beginner, so we want to at least get to the point where we can put on our snowshoes and not fall over.

It's our first winter sport as we're originally from an area that doesn't get snow. Anyone have any specific pointers? I was going to pick up a pair of snow pants like these since I don't really have anything equivalent. I do have thermals, which I know I will need to wear under them. I have more of a hiking shoe, that's not waterproof, so I was going to pick up a pair of proper winter boots like these. We were planning on renting the actual snowshoeing gear from REI for this weekend, they supply it for next weekend during the class. That includes snowshoes, gaiters, and poles.

Am I missing anything obvious, other than just your standard hiking gear like moisture-wicking shirt, fleece jacket, hat, sunglasses, sunblock, etc? Thanks hiking thread!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I are going snowshoeing for the first time this weekend. We were able to get into an REI class for next weekend but it is intermediate instead of beginner, so we want to at least get to the point where we can put on our snowshoes and not fall over.

It's our first winter sport as we're originally from an area that doesn't get snow. Anyone have any specific pointers? I was going to pick up a pair of snow pants like these since I don't really have anything equivalent. I do have thermals, which I know I will need to wear under them. I have more of a hiking shoe, that's not waterproof, so I was going to pick up a pair of proper winter boots like these. We were planning on renting the actual snowshoeing gear from REI for this weekend, they supply it for next weekend during the class. That includes snowshoes, gaiters, and poles.

Am I missing anything obvious, other than just your standard hiking gear like moisture-wicking shirt, fleece jacket, hat, sunglasses, sunblock, etc? Thanks hiking thread!

Bring some kind of repellent shell as well. I really can't recommend bringing a backpack enough. Sometimes it's just nice to sit down after a few hours and have hot drink in the middle of the trail.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Repellent shell as far as top goes? Will do, got a decent one of those. And yeah I'll likely bring a small backpack. Thanks!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Snowshoes tend to be tough on the pants, specifically the inside of your ankle area. Since your gait isn't terribly wide the edge of the snowshoes can rub and tear into it. My MSR's, which have a serrated edge, really tore up my snowpants. For whatever reason it doesn't do that to my wool ones. I had a set of GoLite snowpants with a reinforced inside but it still got shredded. I don't use gaiters, so that might not be an issue for you.

I prefer Baffin boots myself. I've snowshoed in a range of others but the Baffins are well beyond anything else.

Snowshoeing is hard in any kind of snow. Really, really, hard. If you're breaking trail in two feet of powder you'll sweat like you wouldn't believe. Bring plenty of fluids. I was out a few days ago, it was only like 5F, and I was still sweating when I went off trail and we don't have poo poo for fresh snow. On the trail I was pleasantly warm in just a fleece and softshell.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I actually prefer hiking mountain summits and ridges (open ridges are my favorite), and I like facing my fear (in a somewhat reasonable environment). I guess it gives me a deeper sense of accomplishment. The trail I posted in the picture above with the cable didn't bother me at all. Even in that Clifftops picture where I was sitting didn't bother. That said if I got any closer to the edge I would of crawled to it.

Edit: That said I live in the Knoxville, and our valleys are not like the valleys out west. People populate every valley they can.

I can't believe that people drag young kids up that trail. Honestly my biggest fear about the trail is having my own kids up there (16 and 18). It is the feeling that I'm giving up control of their safety. Yes after watching the video my first thought was to be first up that morning. I am just going to have to give it a lot of thought.

I did Angel's Landing with my wife several years ago, and it was the first somewhat challenging hike either of us had ever done. Like you, I'm also kind of afraid of heights, notably when right next to an unprotected ledge. I'm not gonna lie, it was scary, but I think that was mostly due to our lack of adequate gear. We didn't have hiking shoes at the time, just regular sneakers, and it was cold, so we were wearing gloves that had no grip. That said, I was more afraid of my wife falling than myself. It didn't help reading about the fatalities at the trailhead. The view, of course, was amazing though rather hazy at the time, and we certainly felt proud if not a little insane upon making it back.

I would have been much more comfortable doing it in safe gear, and I think if you have said gear you'd be frightened in areas but ultimately fine. I'm not sure that would have alleviated the concern of seeing my wife fall, though, and you may have that same reaction regarding your kids.

edit: It might be important to note that your photo with the cable is not really comparable. Angel's Landing is much narrower, steeper, and rockier. Also, the "cable" for the most part is actually a bigass chain, which may or may not be more difficult to grip for small hands.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 11, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm not too bad about heights but I skipped the chain of certain death section when I hiked Angel's Landing. Did I miss something amazing?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm not too bad about heights but I skipped the chain of certain death section when I hiked Angel's Landing. Did I miss something amazing?

I chose to forgo that section as well... Not a heights fan, but what got me was the people trying to climbing over others that were glued to the chain!
The fun part was getting to the end of the Observation Point trail across the valley and watching all the people scramble over the ridge through binoculars. It was at that point that I knew I probably would never attempt that ridge...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKwQR-Itf4

tl;dr: sorta, yeah.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

The part at 6:25 was my favorite. I remember hoping that no one coming the other way would push me to my death.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've put together a gear list form my AT thru-hike, starting mid-April. If you want to take a look and poo poo all over me, I'd be much obliged!

https://lighterpack.com/r/exul26

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Looks pretty solid to me but I'd say also take something like duct tape, moleskin, leukotape, etc to put over blister areas

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Good idea! Also maybe something for chafing aka crotchrot. Still haven't made my mind up about trekking poles.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Are you going to take any toiletries like hand sanitizer or a toothbrush? Any bug spray, sunscreen, or hat?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yes to hand sanitizer, toothpaste and toothbrush. Also Deet and a hat. Probably should have put those on there, huh.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Alan_Shore posted:

something for chafing aka crotchrot.
Two different things. For the latter you want baby wipes and some powder before you change into evening clothes or before you go to bed. For the former, you'll find lots of contradictory suggestions: Compression shorts or nothing / kilt. Powder or Body Glide or Vaseline or Silicon Lube.

Definitely don't sleep in your hiking clothes, and don't be starting your day in wet underwear (unless you send us pictures for the contest).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well, that's good to know! I... guess. Ugh. I've never had chafing so I'll take a small pot of Vaseline just in case. And I've definitely never had crotchrot. I will definitely sleep in my dry camp clothes, and will hang my wonderful exOfficio underwear on my hammock line at night.

Also... what contest? Sounds ominous.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Rather than Vaseline, maybe look into some chafing cream that runners or cyclists use such as butt butter or body glide. I used butt butter when I was cycling a lot (100-200 miles per week) and it really made things feel slick.

Vaseline is nice for starting fires in a pinch but it's a petroleum product that I wouldn't want on my skin for long periods of time, also annoying to clean off and greasy feeling.

Just a thought

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha I'm going with butt butter just for the name! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully I'll never have to use it and hopefully my dangus won't rot away.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Alan_Shore posted:

Good idea! Also maybe something for chafing aka crotchrot. Still haven't made my mind up about trekking poles.

Have you used trekking poles before? The majority of people I know were all sceptical about them until they tried them and now none of them can go back. I couldn't imagine not using them for long distance hikes now, they were amazing when I used them on the Annapurna Circuit. You would definitely appreciate the cumulative effect it will have on saving your knees for the 2,500+ miles on the AT. They're not amazingly useful for flat trails unless you really want to speed along but when you're 6+ hours into a hike and there's a big uphill, they're so good to just lean on and drag yourself up. That as well as using them on steep descents just make them invaluable to me, but everyone's different I suppose!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have never used them! I also did the Annapurna Circuit, and only felt they would have been useful when we went over the pass and there was a snow storm. But you make good points, and there is a lot of climbing on the AT. I can always strap them to the pack on flats.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Alan_Shore posted:

Well, that's good to know! I... guess. Ugh. I've never had chafing so I'll take a small pot of Vaseline just in case. And I've definitely never had crotchrot. I will definitely sleep in my dry camp clothes, and will hang my wonderful exOfficio underwear on my hammock line at night.

Also... what contest? Sounds ominous.

There are lots of places along the trail to stop in town and look for different products if something isn't working for you. Assuming you start at the normal start time, the first stretch will be cold and night, etc, and then later in the summer it'll be hot as balls and humid and things will chafe that you didn't know could chafe

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Levitate posted:

There are lots of places along the trail to stop in town and look for different products if something isn't working for you. Assuming you start at the normal start time, the first stretch will be cold and night, etc, and then later in the summer it'll be hot as balls and humid and things will chafe that you didn't know could chafe
If your nipples have never bled, have you really ever been hiking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've hiked thousands of km and lots of multi day hikes and I've never had any chafing. It's always mysterious to me when people bring it up.