Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I feel like this may be late to the game because it happened on 1/21 but Katsuyori Shibata vs Matt Riddle at RPW HIGH STAKES was imo a MOTYC but both guys wrestle a pretty polarizing style so I'll just day its definitely an HM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Venomous posted:

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

Oh my God. Oh my God. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

I'm finally watching this with the Japanese commentary and I like it more than Okada/Omega by a pretty wide margin.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Since it's on World and I just watched it, (http://njpwworld.com/p/s_archive_37_01_07)

MOTYC: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Matt Riddle, RevPro High Stakes 2017, 01/21

Riddle and Shibata have so much chemistry together and the crowd is absolutely electric here. Was glued to my seat the whole time. Such a wonderful match.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MOTYC
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada from New Beginning in Sapporo

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Katsuyori Shibata vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka, 02/11

That was fun. Ospreay's really coming on in his career. Wish he'd slow down a wee bit more though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship.

Lots of crazy moves and a fast pace make this a really fun and easy match to watch, and the crowd was really into it which always helps.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship.

Lots of crazy moves and a fast pace make this a really fun and easy match to watch, and the crowd was really into it which always helps.

Seconded. Wasn't as good as the Kushida match, but still a great match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

These two have fantastic chemistry together and the match built to a fantastic climax. Once again both guys come out of the match looking like a million bucks regardless of who won and who lost.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

Yep, these.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Takahashi/Dragon Lee (Theme Music of the Year: the theme they dub in for Dragon Lee)
MOTYC: Naito/Elgin

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Dragon Lee/Hiromu is MOTY of crazy reckless poo poo which is the most important metric of determing MOTY IMO.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

this is late but im going to be the fourth vote that Kevin Owens vs Roman Reigns at royal rumble needs to be on the motyc list. i loved that match.

i haven't watched the latest new japan show yet so i can't give ratings there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: The Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Title at Elimination Chamber - John Cena (C) vs AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt vs Baron Corbin vs The Miz

The PPV was average at best but the main event was fantastic and the final stretch was just great with an awesome ending.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: The Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Title at Elimination Chamber - John Cena (C) vs AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt vs Baron Corbin vs The Miz

The PPV was average at best but the main event was fantastic and the final stretch was just great with an awesome ending.

Yup

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
HM: Luke Harper vs Randy Orton - WWE Elimination Chamber
MOTY: Elimination Chamber Match, John Cena vs AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt vs Baron Corbin vs The Miz - WWE Elimination Chamber

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

yeah that's probably one of the best chamber matches they've ever put on

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Jerusalem posted:

while I'd just HM it there's no point to that, so I'll Nth this to get it on The List

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I'm down with this, especially since the right guy won.

e: VVV Also that. It never looked like the disorganized clusterfuck the EC can devolve into sometimes. The flow of the match was excellent.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 13, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

N'thing. Everyone had a part to play and everyone worked off each other really well.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

These two have fantastic chemistry together and the match built to a fantastic climax. Once again both guys come out of the match looking like a million bucks regardless of who won and who lost.

Nthing this. Wasn't as good as Okada/Suzuki from Sapporo, but that was a hell of a match and easily the best match in their trilogy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

Becky/Mickey was real good too.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
WMOTYC: Braun Strowman v. Mark Henry, Monday Night Raw, 2/13/17

Not sure if we're including TV matches in this but it was so bad I thought I would try.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Funk posted:

WMOTYC: Braun Strowman v. Mark Henry, Monday Night Raw, 2/13/17

Not sure if we're including TV matches in this but it was so bad I thought I would try.

On the one hand it wasn't the squash it could have been like what I've come to expect from a Henry match but it had nothing added for it's extra length. I think it belongs to the conversation. Seconded.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i thought it owned

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If you're nominating a match from Raw for WM it loving has to be the Enzo one

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

If you're nominating a match from Raw for WM it loving has to be the Enzo one

Yeah when a crowd openly laughs at a botch, you hosed up real bad.

WMOTY: Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore, Raw 2/13

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Since I was like the biggest ZSJ stan in the CWC thread, I figure it's high time for me to ask: what are some other matches of his I should check out if I absolutely adore his polarizing style? I have access to WWE Network, NJPW World, DVDs of the last few BOLAs, and anything free to watch, but if there's a couple matches worth checking out on a different streaming service I might go ahead and buy a month of it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I thought wmotyc was women's match of the year, imagine my confusion when I saw mark Henry nominated for it!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

Since I was like the biggest ZSJ stan in the CWC thread, I figure it's high time for me to ask: what are some other matches of his I should check out if I absolutely adore his polarizing style? I have access to WWE Network, NJPW World, DVDs of the last few BOLAs, and anything free to watch, but if there's a couple matches worth checking out on a different streaming service I might go ahead and buy a month of it

The tag match from night 1 of bolas '14 and '15, his matches against adam cole and kyle oreilly from nights 2 and 3 of '14, and his match against ricochet from night 2 of '15

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Watch his first PWG title match against Roddy at Don't Sweat the Technique.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

bradzilla posted:

Yeah when a crowd openly laughs at a botch, you hosed up real bad.

WMOTY: Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore, Raw 2/13

N'thing this. If you can't have a good match with Cesaro then there's just no hope for you.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

ZSJ had a great match with Tommy End in the first round of BOLA 2016

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Watch his first PWG title match against Roddy at Don't Sweat the Technique.

This is for my money the best match Zack's had in PWG, but the two O'Reilly matches (the one on Night 3 of BOLA 2014 that oatgan mentioned, followed by the second one at Thirteen last summer) are very close. The Tommy End match that Jenkem Delivery mentioned is also great and lowkey stole the show that night for me.

He and Roddy also had another great match at Evolve... 45, I think it was? It was slightly after the PWG match, I remember that much. I don't know how much of Evolve's back catalog is on FloSlam yet, but VODs from that long ago should be fairly cheap to buy from WWN directly.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 14, 2017

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Jenny Angel posted:

Like everyone else has said, any time he goes up against O'Reilly, it's excellent. The same can be said for any time he's wrestled Tommaso Ciampa in PROGRESS. If you're looking for a specific show to check out, the 2015 Super Strong Style tournament has a solid match with Zack and Marty Scurll and a great match against Ciampa.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HM - Bray Wyatt vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena, WWE Smackdown, 2/14

Really fun match with a hot crowd.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I thought it was interesting that they protected AJ on this one - giving Bray a more emphatic win and giving AJ a more direct line for a rematch down the road. I don't know who leaves with the title at WM but I'd really like to see what either can do with Styles

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

yeah i liked this one

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nthing this, even though the ad break right before the table breaking spot felt very badly timed. But the action was very good, couple of believable near-falls, and the new champ actually won clean.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Agree with this, really enjoyed the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

My contender for MOTY 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39Rp2OED4Y

It happened in 2011 but I only saw it this year.

• Locked thread