Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm a bit pissed tbh. It's a pointless game. Hopefully it's his mcl and he only misses the first month or so of the season.

Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

loving commentators give me a heart attack saying Moses limped off seriously injured on the far side.

Eventually show a shot and he's comfortably walking around looking completely fine.

Hopefully croker isn't too badly hurt.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Super League is on right now on fox sports. So far a decent game.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

The world side is not even worthwhile, I casually strolled into a pub and noticed the Indigenous side was pumping World. Looked at the team, apart from Cartwright and maybe Friend or Mbye it's fairly slim pickings.

Did every player just shrug off a selection to focus on their season prep?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That's generally how it goes, yes.

Except for players who want to pick up an awesome season ending injury.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Tuned out when the scoreline hit 16-0. Not sure what the point of these matches are in a sport where injuries are so common

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I dont want to come across as a bitter fuckwit here but its a dumb game for morons and should be thrown in the bin

But seriously back when it started the world team was pretty good and the indigenous team had more to play for so it was a good contest. Now the indigenous team still has all that pride to play for and the allstars are a piece of poo poo

Here is a far out crazy idea but enter an indigenous team in the 9s or have them play a pacific island team because right now its the indigenous team versus the footyplayers who are too dumb to get out of the game.

EDIT

Or play it at the end of the season before the grand final or something (obviously with all the grand finalists withdrawn)

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 10, 2017

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

the pro bowl of the nrl

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Notes from tonight's trial:

Somebody gave me a free ticket outside the stadium - thanks, random dude.

Moses Soli looked the goods.

The Dragons lock got ten for throwing a punch, so good passion for a trial game I guess.

Idris also looked the part when he could hold the ball.

Tigers offence was 90% hit it up and bomb the fullback (or drop the ball - so many dropped balls), but that's trials. Dragons looked pretty solid though, especially in defence.

The referees were shameless of course but the Tigers seemed to get their share of the dodgy penalty calls which was nice.

The Dragons hooker got opened up somehow and came off looking like Benny Elias at SoO.

Jai Field scored a very nice try for the Dragons right on half time.

WIN Stadium looks like a cool place to watch football, at least in summer evenings.

Final score: Dragons 20-10.

Also six weeks for Croker I hear, for a dislocated kneecap.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
cheer up Leigh Fans. Even the Broncos got pumped early on in their life.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

6 weeks is ok i guess

Should see him back by round 3. We have cover at goal kicking (sezer) and i expect the raiders to start slow anyway (physically large team over the hotter rounds is not good)

Still a lot of the raiders strength is outwide and croker is a pretty underrated centre. He is quite a smart player. Like last year against the warriors after defending most of the first half croker put a clever little kick in behind the line that turned the game.

Plus his point scoring

That said we started last year missing BJ over the first rounds because he forgot how to legally tackle for a period of time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Resident Idiot posted:

Notes from tonight's trial:

Somebody gave me a free ticket outside the stadium - thanks, random dude.

Moses Soli looked the goods.

The Dragons lock got ten for throwing a punch, so good passion for a trial game I guess.

Idris also looked the part when he could hold the ball.

Tigers offence was 90% hit it up and bomb the fullback (or drop the ball - so many dropped balls), but that's trials. Dragons looked pretty solid though, especially in defence.

The referees were shameless of course but the Tigers seemed to get their share of the dodgy penalty calls which was nice.

The Dragons hooker got opened up somehow and came off looking like Benny Elias at SoO.

Jai Field scored a very nice try for the Dragons right on half time.

WIN Stadium looks like a cool place to watch football, at least in summer evenings.

Final score: Dragons 20-10.

Also six weeks for Croker I hear, for a dislocated kneecap.

Yeah, both teams looked decent, trial notwithstanding. It'll be nice to see the Tigers with closer to a real team. So, maybe in 2022.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The latest rort from grubby clubs like Parramatta and Manly:

Fox Sports posted:

NRL 2017: Manly Sea Eagles apply for medical retirement clearances for Brett Stewart and Steve Matai

Dan Walsh
February 10, 2017 8:10pm
DAN WALSH@dan_walsh64
Source: FOX SPORTS
MANLY have all but brought the curtain down on the champion careers of Brett Stewart and Steve Matai, but they face an uphill battle in getting their salaries excluded from the 2017 salary cap.

The club confirmed via a statement on Friday afternoon that they are in talks with the NRL, RLPA and the pair’s respective managers on managing their retirement from the game due to ongoing injuries.

As revealed by foxsports.com.au last month, neither Stewart or Matai returned to Sea Eagles training at the start of 2017 after both were sidelined midway through last season.

Stewart has battled chronic knee injuries that severely hampered both his playing time and form in 2016, while Matai has dealt with various neck, shoulder and back injuries throughout his 230-game career.

With both players understood to be on back-ended contracts, Manly could struggle to receive salary cap dispensation from the NRL for the final year of their respective deals.

The club must prove that neither injury was not pre-existing when either Matai or Stewart signed their last deals with the club, otherwise their wages will count towards the Sea Eagles salary cap for 2017.

Complicating that decision is the fact it’s likely to land with the NRL’s chief medical officer Dr Paul Bloomfield, who was the Sea Eagles club doctor for over a decade and the majority of both Stewart and Matai’s careers.

Stewart inked a two-year extension with the only club he has ever known in August 2015, but has only managed 13 games in the 18 months since.

Matai, meanwhile, penned a new Manly deal six months earlier having previously requested a release to join the Warriors, and has played 27 of 48 possible games for the maroon and whites since.

Both clocked at least 18 games a year between 2011 and 2015.

It was Dr. Bloomfield who last season ruled Anthony Watmough, a former premiership winning teammate of Matai and Stewart’s at Manly, to be medically retired in the midst of Parramatta’s salary cap scandal.

That decision ensured that the final three years of Watmough’s estimated $700,000 deal with the Eels did not count towards the club’s cap, and was critical in getting them back in the black and playing for competition points last season.

Watmough’s situation has since been complicated by insurance company QBE rejecting a $1.2 million payout on the grounds that his injury was pre-existing, and saw the retired forward vow to return to training to ensure he received his payout from Parramatta.

The Watmough saga, along with other cases across the game, pushed the NRL to scrutinise ‘long-term contracts for older players towards the end of their careers to minimise the risk of career-ending injuries resulting in big payouts,” according to a statement in August last year.

Under revised NRL rules around medically retiring players, Matai and Stewart could receive full cap-exempt payment of their salaries.

The previous 2013 CBA meant clubs were only liable for 25 per cent of a player’s contract if they were unable to play a game due to injury.

With the veteran pair playing crucial roles in the Manly’s 2008 and 2011 title wins as well as a combined 462 games, the Sea Eagles have vowed to “give the players a dignified and respectful exit from their brilliant careers.

“ ... Manly Sea Eagles are working with the management of both players to give them the farewell they deserve in front of their thousands of adoring fans,” the club’s statement said.

Desperately resign ageing veterans on big backended contracts then weasel out of the cap hit on the back end by getting a friendly doctor to medically retire him.

edit: in light of QBE turning down Watmough's claim and him vowing to return to training I loving hope that puts them back over the cap this year and last because of his un-retirement.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress that's smart.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Thank god the brave insurance companies are here to protect us from those dastardly NRL teams.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

i hate the manly sea eagles

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Saul Goode posted:

Thank god the brave insurance companies are here to protect us from those dastardly NRL teams.

Says a lot that I cheer for the insurance companies over loving Parramatta and Manly.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Any attempt to get Matai's money off the cap is laughable, his neck and shoulder were wrecked years ago.

If Parra is going to screw Watmough around, I hope he gets them back. They got a huge break when his salary came off the books, denying him his option (which he's contractually allowed to exercise) is just dirty.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Foran's contract has been registered, he'll be allowed to play for us starting in week 3 :dance:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

Any attempt to get Matai's money off the cap is laughable, his neck and shoulder were wrecked years ago.

If Parra is going to screw Watmough around, I hope he gets them back. They got a huge break when his salary came off the books, denying him his option (which he's contractually allowed to exercise) is just dirty.

Imagine the court case, they could play an uninterupted 2 hour long clipvideo of Matai crouched on the ground holding his shoulder spliced from his career while Manly's lawyers shuffle around awkwardly in their seats looking embarrassed.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

hurry the gently caress up NRL season and start

there's only so many youtube videos of footy I can watch while pretending to work

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
only like 18 more days until severe disappointment

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

only like 18 more days until severe disappointment

The "reality kicks back in" effect is always a downer. At least last year we got to play the Warriors so the optimism stuck around an extra week.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The Warriors are such traditionally poor starters that I'm nervous as gently caress about this home game v Newcastle. This fixture is as good as a bye for every other club but it's exactly the kind of thing we routinely gently caress up :ohdear:

edit: ugh you reminded me of that loving putrid first half in last year's season opener

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Stats time:

Since their formation and inclusion in the 1995 ARL season, the Warriors have only won 7 of their regular season opening round fixtures (1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007 and 2009). The 1996 win also comes with an asterisk, as the Broncos forfeited the fixture due to fielding players not actually signed to the Super League, although the Warriors also won the second fixture that season as well.

The last time the Warriors played the Knights in round 1 was in 2015. Newcastle won that fixture at home 24-14.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

The Warriors are such traditionally poor starters that I'm nervous as gently caress about this home game v Newcastle. This fixture is as good as a bye for every other club but it's exactly the kind of thing we routinely gently caress up :ohdear:

edit: ugh you reminded me of that loving putrid first half in last year's season opener
Our team is probably worth half of yours salary cap wise

i'm not confident at all of a win

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iajanus posted:

hurry the gently caress up NRL season and start

there's only so many youtube videos of footy I can watch while pretending to work

I'm watching 80s State of Origin matches OP.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tim Simona is a silly boy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Tim Simona is a silly boy

I disagree; he knew we needed to free up cap space for our good players and selflessly dove on the grenade to get himself deregistered. A true Tigers hero!

(although drat him to hell if he cost us games last year, which watching his defence is definitely a possibility)

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

Our team is probably worth half of yours salary cap wise

i'm not confident at all of a win

It's basically a toss up to find which team can wildly gently caress up more

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

I disagree; he knew we needed to free up cap space for our good players and selflessly dove on the grenade to get himself deregistered. A true Tigers hero!

(although drat him to hell if he cost us games last year, which watching his defence is definitely a possibility)

Would help with the cap situation at the Tigs.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Simona always carves up the Warriors so this is great news.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

There appear to be more people on the field them in the crowd at Campbelltown tonight.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Tigers look all right against what on paper seems a much stronger Cowboys side (yeah, I know, trials and all)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I was quite happy that our third and fourth string players put on such a good fight.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
Just wanna give a quick shoutout to Manly for giving us Parcell.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
For those who used the nrl app and did the free data free streaming through Telstra, it is data free again for telstra mobile users.

If you havent done already, open app when in oz, and select im a telstra mobile customer and make sure wifi is off. It will then automatically renew your plan for 12 months. Then we can all watch trent barrett cry.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know it's just a trial but the Knights played really well in the first half against mostly full strength canberra

30 - nil, the nil is most pleasing

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Our entire backline didnt play.

Very concerned with our depth to be honest. Any injuries at all and we are absolutely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like 60% full strength

• Locked thread