Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently Hammel's decision to part ways with the Cubs was less about "exploring free agency", and more about Wanting to get away from Maddon's quick hook.

quote:

Would the staff be better -- and deeper -- if Hammel were still in the rotation? The Cubs' stated goal all winter was to find reliable starters, yet they said goodbye to a serviceable pitcher who was going to make "only" $10 million. Though he had an elbow tweak at the end of the season, Hammel was pretty reliable during his time with the Cubs, making a total of 61 starts over the past two years. But the team did him a favor by letting him go, partly to allow him to test free agency and earn some more security, but also because it was time for a change of scenery.

It became obvious -- and at times public – that Hammel and his manager didn’t see eye to eye. Maddon pulled the right-hander from several games earlier than the pitcher would have liked. Hammel didn't make any of the postseason rosters. So after the World Series, the Cubs gave him the choice. He chose to leave, and sources close to the situation say that choice was as much about Maddon as anything else. That can’t come as a big surprise to those who have followed the drama for two seasons. Hammel simply felt his manager lost faith in him, and at that point it was time to go.

It's rumors, but honestly I'm inclined to believe it. I was at the Dodgers game where Hammel got pulled in the 3rd, and he was absolutely loving furious. Getting left off every single postseason roster probably didn't help that relationship much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

CubsWoo posted:

Load a non-contending team up with guys who might have something in the tank on team-friendly deals and flip them at the deadline to continue your rebuild.

Braves apparently agreed to carry over Phillips' no-trade so he's not going anywhere.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Now coming out that the Phillips deal is the Braves will abide by the 12-team no-trade clause he had and will pay him half a mil if they trade him to anyone else.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Now coming out that the Phillips deal is the Braves will abide by the 12-team no-trade clause he had and will pay him half a mil if they trade him to anyone else.

This deal keeps getting better somehow. Even if he sucks he can't be any worse (and certainly much less expensive) than some of the poo poo players the Braves have carried in recent years.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The only way Phillips is going anywhere is if a potential contending team loses their 2B to injury and they're too cheap to trade for Dozier.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Sydin posted:

Apparently Hammel's decision to part ways with the Cubs was less about "exploring free agency", and more about Wanting to get away from Maddon's quick hook.

It's rumors, but honestly I'm inclined to believe it. I was at the Dodgers game where Hammel got pulled in the 3rd, and he was absolutely loving furious. Getting left off every single postseason roster probably didn't help that relationship much either.

You can't get left off of a postseason roster if your team doesn't make the playoffs

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Wouldn't be surprised if BP finishes the season in Atlanta. Signing Bartolo and Dickey and trading for Garcia @$12M tells me they want to field a decent team in their new park, instead of full-on tanking for 2018.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Nathan Eovaldi and his mangled elbow are going to the Rays. :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

Nathan Eovaldi and his mangled elbow are going to the Rays. :smith:

I was hoping he'd end up on the Pirates and they would fix him and I could cheer him on in a league that wouldn't hurt the Yankees.

But hey, at least now the Yanks get to tee up off of that flat fastball in 2018 maybe?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

elentar posted:

Meanwhile the Braves are apparently getting Brandon Phillips after all? Reds must be paying a lot of that salary and nor expecting much back.

Just keeping things warm for Albies, so whatever.

Edit: at least one Braves writer thinks 3-5 mos for Rodriguez is "very optimistic" so could be whole season.

https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC/status/830876533204144129

:smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Sean Rodriguez is a hotheaded idiot and the International Water Cooler Fighting Champion, but nobody should lose time to an injury like that. Best of luck to him in his recovery.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
In a macabre thought, I wonder how MLB would handle it if, heaven forbid, a plane carrying a team went down.

Would they bring up AAA players to finish their season? Would there have to be an expansion-esque draft? I'm sure it would devastate the game for several seasons to come.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dingleberry Jones posted:

In a macabre thought, I wonder how MLB would handle it if, heaven forbid, a plane carrying a team went down.

Would they bring up AAA players to finish their season? Would there have to be an expansion-esque draft? I'm sure it would devastate the game for several seasons to come.
They got a rule for that. Long story short if a catastrophe costs a team five or more players, the commissioner decides if they play out the season, and if so, everyone else has to offer up five players for the affected team to draft from.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

There would be a draft, there is an entire process laid out for such an occurrence.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skip down to rule 29 here.

Basically there's a mourning period where games are delayed or cancelled for the team, after that the commissioner and MLBPA figure out if the team can continue the rest of the season or not. Later there would be a restocking draft where the affected team could claim contracts from other teams if the disaster was bad enough. Assuming I'm reading this correctly if this draft happens in season every team would have to make 5 players from their 25 man roster available for this draft, if the draft happens in the off season 5 players from the 40 man roster.

quote:

Unless otherwise ordered by the Commissioner or
the Commissioner’s designee, after consultation with the Players
Association, each Club’s list of available players for a Restocking
Draft shall include one pitcher, one catcher, one outfielder, one
infielder and a fifth player of any position.

There's a whole bunch more in there. So yeah, it's something MLB has considered at least.

e: I'm so slow, but reading the rule is kinda fun in a terrible way.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It is weird, reading all this my first thought was this naive confidence that, in the event of such a tragedy, everyone involved would follow those procedures sensibly and in good faith, and I can't imagine thinking that about any other aspect of American life at this moment.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Found this at the Goodwill today.

Discogs is listing a different version of the album (gatefold, two discs, different selections) so apparently the Army was giving Drysdale good beer money.

Apparently whatever station got this copy liked the stories, as the mailing card is not included.

I haven't put it on my record player yet, but I bet the stories are pretty decent, though quite sanitized.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What's the closest MLB has ever had to a tragedy that might require a disaster draft?

The spring training Cleveland Indians' boating accident killed Tim Crews and Steve Olin and severely injured Bobby Ojeda is the worst I can immediately remember.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/830963784927821825
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/830963788803366912

I doubt Wood would choose to come back to Chicago when the Padres are offering a clear path to starting, but I hope he comes back :unsmith:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i honestly think wood would go to San Diego exclusively for the camo uniforms

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

R.D. Mangles posted:

i honestly think wood would go to San Diego exclusively for the camo uniforms

If he's a complete fuckup no one would see it so it's perfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What's the closest MLB has ever had to a tragedy that might require a disaster draft?

The Angels team bus crashed on the New Jersey Turnpike in 1992. Injured 12 members of the organization including four players and Rod Carew.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

New Concept Hole posted:

If he's a complete fuckup no one would see it so it's perfect.

could've used some ivy camo last season

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm not sure how strong the 'gets to start' pull is but the Padres sure seem to have a knack for picking up former Cub swingmen and giving them starts

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

R.D. Mangles posted:

could've used some ivy camo last season

loving Statcast doesn't even include Camo Index

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Does anyone know if the International feed of the World Series is online anywhere? MLB Network produced it and Matt Vasgersian was doing PBP - it isn't on the Blu-Ray set and I can only find bits and pieces of it on YouTube, mostly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvunx7rxvM

(it feels so good to feel ok re-watching that inning)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

CubsWoo posted:

I'm not sure how strong the 'gets to start' pull is but the Padres sure seem to have a knack for picking up former Cub swingmen and giving them starts

I'm pretty sure starting for the Padres may be seen as a demotion from the bullpen.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Just giving their roster a cursory look, couldn't the Braves end up being somewhat decent this year? Pitching looks messy, but their 1-8 isn't bad at all.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Vernacular posted:

Just giving their roster a cursory look, couldn't the Braves end up being somewhat decent this year? Pitching looks messy, but their 1-8 isn't bad at all.

A ~.500 year is possible but I think big chunks of the Braves were meant to be trade chips since even in a high upside year they're probably not getting better than 3rd in the East given the Nats and Mets.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

Does anyone know if the International feed of the World Series is online anywhere? MLB Network produced it and Matt Vasgersian was doing PBP - it isn't on the Blu-Ray set and I can only find bits and pieces of it on YouTube, mostly this:

I've probably watched that inning alone at least a dozen times. God its so good...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Fox seriously needs to tell Buck and Brennaman to take a hike and then give Vasgersian whatever amount of money he wants.

Sydin posted:

It's not like I'm the world's biggest Joe Maddon fan, but Hammel was bailed out by the Cubs' defense more times than I can count last year, his slider had almost no break on it after July, and that potato chip thing from last year is still one of the biggest crocks of poo poo I've ever heard. He can cry all he wants about having a tight hook on him, but I'm not sad to see him gone.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 13, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

Fox seriously needs to tell Buck and Brennaman to take a hike and then give Vasgersian whatever amount of money he wants.

Put A-Rod in the booth.

Also I can't hear Vasgersian's voice and not think I'm playing The Show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Also I can't hear Vasgersian's voice and not think I'm playing The Show.

What do you make of them, EK? :suicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

What do you make of them, EK? :suicide:

I haven't played in a few months so I forgot the exact line but there was one about striking out that was the dumbest loving thing ever recorded.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I haven't played in a few months so I forgot the exact line but there was one about striking out that was the dumbest loving thing ever recorded.

Clearly you've never played early PS2 era Madden

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Well Matt,

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

CubsWoo posted:

A ~.500 year is possible but I think big chunks of the Braves were meant to be trade chips since even in a high upside year they're probably not getting better than 3rd in the East given the Nats and Mets.

I would be amazed if they get all that close to cracking 80 wins. The roster's held together with duct tape and there's a pretty big drop if anybody gets injured. You'd also have to count on no regression or struggles either from creaky old players, or very young players.

From the franchise point of view, it's definitely better to have one more year as sellers; chasing the second wild card spot seems a bit premature.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Sean Rodriguez is having shoulder surgery after that car accident his family was in and is expected to miss a few months.

I'm sure the joke was made but was a Gatorade cooler found driving the other car?

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
N: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18676664/derek-jeter-wife-hannah-jeter-announce-couple-expecting-first-child

quote:

The Captain will soon go by a new nickname: Dad.

Derek Jeter and his wife Hannah announced Monday that they are expecting their first child.

Hannah Jeter, in a column published on her husband's The Players' Tribune website, wrote that she is pregnant with a baby girl.

V: I can't even imagine the kind of gift basket you'd get for carrying a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm just interested in seeing if Calm Eyes™ are genetic.

• Locked thread