Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Grab some pine, meat.

Grab some pine, meat.

GRAB SOME PINE, MEAT.

*mashes a trillion dongers with Jon Dowd*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Edit: look at me posting in the wrong thread like an internet jabroni

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 13, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Paul Zuvella posted:

Grab some pine, meat.

Grab some pine, meat.

GRAB SOME PINE, MEAT.

*mashes a trillion dongers with Jon Dowd*

I miss MVP Baseball so much :(

I burned so many hours on the dinger hitting minigame.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/830817229717508096

V: Thor owns, hope his pitching elbow doesn't explode.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for surgery. Good luck to him.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Seeing as he's on the Mets his arm will probably just fly off at some point during the season.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want a player to show up to spring training and admit they gained 20 lbs of fat and have been feeling kinda tired lately.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I want a player to show up to spring training and admit they gained 20 lbs of fat and have been feeling kinda tired lately.

"After winter ball, all I did was eat." - Jesus Montero, 2014

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Nats apparently signed Adam Lind. This would seem to confirm that they intend to platoon Zimmerman at 1st unless he has a serious bounce back this year. I suppose Lind might also spell Werth in left from time to time too if his outfield defense is anything better than horrid.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ego symphonic posted:

I suppose Lind might also spell Werth in left from time to time too if his outfield defense is anything better than horrid.

Unless something has drastically changed in the last two years... no.

e: Does Adam Lind still run like an octopus running across the bottom of the ocean?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

any new #BSOHL tweets? This is all I could find:

https://twitter.com/toysubmarine/status/831152190609846272

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a recipe for surgery. Good luck to him.

The Mets haven't had an opening day starter start the following opening day since Santana in '09-'10.

Good luck, indeed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What shape are Damien Magnifico's doves in?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sydin posted:

:ohdear:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ego symphonic posted:

Nats apparently signed Adam Lind. This would seem to confirm that they intend to platoon Zimmerman at 1st unless he has a serious bounce back this year. I suppose Lind might also spell Werth in left from time to time too if his outfield defense is anything better than horrid.

Adam Lind has no spine or spinal cord or hips or knees and is definitely not playing any position other than 1st or DH.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Best hand-eye coordination of their lives

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/831220539364634625

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

Best hand-eye coordination of their lives

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/831220539364634625

Oh man I love their little ready dance. :shobon:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Is that Schwarber in the flag shorts? Because if they stick that guy at catcher then :laffo:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Julio Cruz posted:

Is that Schwarber in the flag shorts? Because if they stick that guy at catcher then :laffo:

Baez in the backwards cap, Jay in the beanie, Schwarbs in the :911: shorts. I look forward to him setting the record for passed balls in a season despite only catching 5-10 games.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
N:

quote:

When asked about the team’s problems with defense and base running in 2016, Matheny never really explored the topic. Never really answered the question or acknowledged the defense/running issues. Instead, he sought to play it off by citing his use of so many “young” players. And Matheny criticized the media for, well, I don’t know what the media did exactly. My best guess is that we discussed and wrote about the defensive and base running flaws last season. Areas that obviously were harmful to a team that won 86 games and failed to make the playoffs. Keep in mind, Matheny once told me that he considered my use of statistics — facts — to be personal attacks.

V: Contract extended through 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CubsWoo posted:

N:

gently caress, I'm shocked he hasn't been offered a cabinet position yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

N:

It's okay though the Cardinals defense and baserunnings is 100% fixed now because you see what they needed was "athleticism" and they added Fowler who's an "athletic" player, so problem solved.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can't wait until Matheny literally uses the phrase "Alternative statistics" in an interview 100% earnestly.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Mike Matheny's been told he's statistically terrible for over 20 years now so that's no too surprising that he doesn't give a poo poo about them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Sydin posted:

Baez in the backwards cap, Jay in the beanie, Schwarbs in the :911: shorts. I look forward to him setting the record for passed balls in a season despite only catching 5-10 games.

I wasn't sure if it was him or just a trainer/coach cause he looks loving huge, and not in the good way.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Apparently MLB has finally decided they're going to do something about replay reviews taking forever. Specifically they're going to (try) to implement:

1. Managers have 30 seconds from when a play ends to issue a challenge, otherwise play continues.
2. NY only gets two minutes to make a decision, otherwise it's an automatic call stands.

Maybe I'm picky, but both of those seem really abnormally long? Rarely if ever does it take a manager more than 30 seconds to issue a challenge and if you're really trying to limit challenges to clear miscalls, it seems like you'd want something along the lines of "ten seconds" or even "loving immediately" so they can't ring their video guy to see if the first baseman's foot came off the bag for half a femtosecond. Likewise two minutes for NY is abysmal, hell even one minute is seriously pushing it. 30 seconds feels like enough time for clear and convincing evidence, if present, to show itself, otherwise they're just nitpicking and holding up play.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

Apparently MLB has finally decided they're going to do something about replay reviews taking forever. Specifically they're going to (try) to implement:

1. Managers have 30 seconds from when a play ends to issue a challenge, otherwise play continues.
2. NY only gets two minutes to make a decision, otherwise it's an automatic call stands.

Maybe I'm picky, but both of those seem really abnormally long? Rarely if ever does it take a manager more than 30 seconds to issue a challenge and if you're really trying to limit challenges to clear miscalls, it seems like you'd want something along the lines of "ten seconds" or even "loving immediately" so they can't ring their video guy to see if the first baseman's foot came off the bag for half a femtosecond. Likewise two minutes for NY is abysmal, hell even one minute is seriously pushing it. 30 seconds feels like enough time for clear and convincing evidence, if present, to show itself, otherwise they're just nitpicking and holding up play.

30 seconds may be the amount of time it takes an old gently caress to get up the stairs and wave an arm at the ump.

I think 2 minutes is fine. In practice it will mean that the ump thinks it's not obvious and a quick check from another ump doesn't help that they signal call stands. Given there can be 10+ camera angles to review in slow mo you don't want to cut their time too short.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The whole "well I might challenge but I'm just gonna stand here and think about it while definitely not giving someone in the dugout enough time to watch the replay and give me a signal" bullshit is so bad for slowing down the game. 10 seconds should be more than enough to get a signal from the player(s) involved and maybe ask a bench coach what he saw, if you're not sure after that then you shouldn't be challenging.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

30 seconds may be the amount of time it takes an old gently caress to get up the stairs and wave an arm at the ump.

Seriously? Issue them a loving flag to wave or something if they're literally too decrepit to climb half a dozen stairs.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Do they have the ability to sync multiple angles at the same time when looking at stuff in NY?

Every time I see a replay its like:

Angle 1: Clearly see when the ball is in the glove, but can't see the runners feet
Angle 2: Clearly see the runner's feet but can't see the ball in the glove

And every time they hem and haw for 3+ minutes acting like they can't make a definite decision because there isn't one view that shows the ball and the runner and the tag or whatever the case may be. Never do they show a split screen of two views side by side (except for tag-up plays to see if the runner leaves the base early) but they surely must have time stamped video to make everything in sync. I don't know why some reviews take so long when you have multiple angles that when put together would get it right very easily.

I think 30sec for the manager and 2minutes for NY is fair for both times. There were some challenges that took like 5 loving minutes last season.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If it cuts down on the 5 minute replays going over whether someone's foot lifted a quarter-inch off second base for 4 frames of video like it's the loving Zapruder film I'm all for it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

If it cuts down on the 5 minute replays going over whether someone's foot lifted a quarter-inch off second base for 4 frames of video like it's the loving Zapruder film I'm all for it.

Basically this but with all sports

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I still think there should be a rule where once you've made contact with a base you're considered to be 'on' the base as long as your foot/hand whatever made contact is above said base.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Facebook just showed me that I shared this three years ago:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I think 2 minutes is fine. In practice it will mean that the ump thinks it's not obvious and a quick check from another ump doesn't help that they signal call stands. Given there can be 10+ camera angles to review in slow mo you don't want to cut their time too short.

The primary reason I'm for very strict time limits is less about pace of play intrinsically, and more about having replay work more within the spirit of how it was originally intended: giving teams the ability to dispute clearly incorrect calls. Umpires are human, sometimes they make bad calls in the heat of the moment. But giving managers tons of time to confer with video people, and NY unlimited to scrutinize every possible angle of a play, encourages replay to instead be used to second guess any call that has a fraction of a chance of being overturned.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Travis Wood to KC?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
That change seems more about curbing the outliers than making a difference to typical review situations. I agree the extremely marginal calls are super annoying. Sometimes it feels like dissecting the very nature of reality. When is the ball actually IN the glove? What does it mean for something to be "on" or "in"? Does perception define reality?

Football has shown that this poo poo is extremely unfun vis a vis catches.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Travis Wood to KC?

Two years $12 million, apparently he's in the mix to start.

That's three ex-Cubs to KC now. I might actually have to start tuning in.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what kind of monster takes travis wood out of the NL

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is there an MLB.tv sharing thing happening? Can't see anything in C&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

Two years $12 million, apparently he's in the mix to start.

That's three ex-Cubs to KC now. I might actually have to start tuning in.

Unless you just love baseball that much I'm going to tell you it isn't going to be worth it. At the least do yourself a favor and watch the away broadcasts if possible.

• Locked thread