Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Run the camera off a separate power source temporarily. If that fixes the problem, you need better power filtering/isolation. If it doesn’t, the camera is radiating directly and more drastic measures are called for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

One thing to keep in mind is that cigarette lighter ports have pretty notoriously lovely grounds, so if you have anything going anywhere near that circuit you're likely to need a ground loop isolator to keep it from feeding tons of noise.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The wierd this is that I haven't noticed any changes since I setup my blackview camera. No loss of stations. No buzzing, nothing.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I put a Dod Tech DOD-LS470W in my new mustang, with a rear view mirror mount and a hard wire kit. The guy who did the hard wire install said that the mustang doesn't have any switched connections, so the cam is always powered, and I have the remember to turn it off.

Assuming I forget to turn it off, how bad a drain on the battery would it be? I'm not terribly worried about leaving it run when I do groceries, or whatever, but since I work out of my house I don't have a daily commute and it can be days between outings.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LongSack posted:

The guy who did the hard wire install said that the mustang doesn't have any switched connections

I refuse to believe this. Surely something like the power windows or stereo go off with the key?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LongSack posted:

I put a Dod Tech DOD-LS470W in my new mustang, with a rear view mirror mount and a hard wire kit. The guy who did the hard wire install said that the mustang doesn't have any switched connections, so the cam is always powered, and I have the remember to turn it off.

Assuming I forget to turn it off, how bad a drain on the battery would it be? I'm not terribly worried about leaving it run when I do groceries, or whatever, but since I work out of my house I don't have a daily commute and it can be days between outings.

The guy is probably wrong. Every single 12v source on the inside of my Focus appears at first glance to be unswitched, but they all shut off after about 5 minutes of leaving the car.

Unless the guy hardwired it into something other than the cigarette lighter or accessory circuit, I'd bet that it will shut off after a while.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

The Locator posted:

The guy is probably wrong. Every single 12v source on the inside of my Focus appears at first glance to be unswitched, but they all shut off after about 5 minutes of leaving the car.

Unless the guy hardwired it into something other than the cigarette lighter or accessory circuit, I'd bet that it will shut off after a while.

I'll test that out, thanks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LongSack posted:

Your installer is a moron. No mass market car built in the past 20 years has direct battery power to everything. There are dozens of circuits that are switched.

Your camera probably draws 5 to 10W, depending on the screen and whatnot. It wouldn't kill a good battery overnight, but probably would of left over a weekend.

: Edit: it comes with a 1A 5v power supply, which would max out at 5W. So it draws less than that.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 5, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Your installer is a moron. No mass market car built in the past 20 years has direct battery power to everything. There are dozens of circuits that are switched.

Your camera probably draws 5 to 10W, depending on the screen and whatnot. It wouldn't kill a good battery overnight, but probably would of left over a weekend.

: Edit: it comes with a 1A 5v power supply, which would max out at 5W. So it draws less than that.

Best Buy :argh:

The hardwire kit came with connectors that looked like they go on a fuse block? I am not electrical. I have no idea what he hooked it up to. Will need to find someone who can fix it, I guess.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I doubt the dashcam actually draws 5 W.

My laptop idles at around that.

The camera hardware is largely driven by cellphone development, which puts a premium on low‐power design.

I’d estimate at least a week to drain the battery.

Can you configure the camera to automatically power down? If you can have it shut down after twenty‐four hours, I would’t bother to wire it to a switched circuit.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I wired my Mobius with a switch in the power cable so I can leave it on when I leave my car in a parking lot while I shop. I frequently forget to turn it off when I get home, I've left it on for three or four days over a long weekend and my car hasn't had a problem starting.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
removed

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 6, 2017

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I am looking to replace a cam that was stolen a few months ago. Having had a hard time finding one that unclips easily from the mount. Thinking about the Aukey DR-01
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-1080P-Vision-Dashboard-Camera/dp/B01M592J9C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Does anyone have experience with an Aukey cam?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I have a different one. I work on a military base, so I have to remove it every time I enter the gate; I use 3m Dual Lock to stick it to the trim above the windshield, no problems with the camera or the "velcro" yet. Though it's been disconnected most of the winter because I had to pull all the wiring out while doing a heater core replacement and haven't gotten around to rewiring it.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Wouldn't the cam bounce a little once the velcro wore down a bit? I just cannot believe its hard to find a good quick release mount.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Probably, eventually. I ran it for about 3 months (in a Jeep, so not the smoothest ride) and never saw any degradation. But when it does happen, or when the glue (which is really good) finally starts to fail from the hot/cold shifts, these things are cheap to replace.

But if you find a mount that doesn't go on the windshield, post up. I gave up after a few weeks of searching.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dual-lock does wear out eventually. I used it for a while to hold a transponder in my RC cars (one transponder, three cars) and eventually wore it out after a few months of racing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

patonthebach posted:

Dear dashcam thread,
I never thought it would happen to me, but....

This one is a little fucky, and maybe disturbing to some viewers. Also is a poo poo 15 dollar chinese dashcam and there is almost no light.

I got a crazy bitch sent to hospital for suicide watch
had her jump in front of my car attempting suicide during my drive home in the blizzard
stopped 5 or 10 feet in front of her . no exaggeration
dumbshit and her cousin chasing after her
i slowed down on the highway because i thought these people were stuck in the snow.
any yeah. lady tried to kill herself with my car.
i had to chase her after for a bit on foot and calm her down and get her to agree to go to hospital
she was bipolar/schizo having an episode
and i ruined my new shoes chasing her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf6m7_egno&t=95s

gently caress. And you just turned off the highbeams, yeah?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Godholio posted:

Probably, eventually. I ran it for about 3 months (in a Jeep, so not the smoothest ride) and never saw any degradation. But when it does happen, or when the glue (which is really good) finally starts to fail from the hot/cold shifts, these things are cheap to replace.

But if you find a mount that doesn't go on the windshield, post up. I gave up after a few weeks of searching.

I have seen a clip that goes on your visor for the mobius.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I made the mount for my Mobius out of some fairly thin aluminum. I found a socket in my toolbox about the same size as the rearview mirror mount and bent it around that. Drilled a hole in it and used a very short 1/4-20 bolt to mount the camera to it. I never do but the camera can be removed in about 10 seconds with no tools. It was supposed to be temporary until I made or found something better but it's been working great since I got the camera about two years ago.

I put a switch on it (the black round one) so I can leave it on when my car is parked. The power adapter is hidden between the headliner and the roof . I forget if I pulled the power from the map lights or the sunroof. Either way, no blown fuses or other problems and it's all mostly hidden.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Meydey posted:

I am looking to replace a cam that was stolen a few months ago. Having had a hard time finding one that unclips easily from the mount. Thinking about the Aukey DR-01
https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-1080P-Vision-Dashboard-Camera/dp/B01M592J9C/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Does anyone have experience with an Aukey cam?

Don't know anything about the Aukey, but Dod makes a mount for their cams that attaches to the rear view mirror post, and the cams detach from it very easily. I had their LS460W in my truck, and put the LS470W in my mustang. With a hard wire kit it looks quite nice. I, personally, hate sticking stuff to my windshield with suction cups, because it never stays there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nm posted:

I have seen a clip that goes on your visor for the mobius.

I use my visor regularly. Hooray for staring at the sun on the way to and from work, and on windy roads that require swiveling the visor all over the drat place.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Based on the board layout and reviews, and watching every bigclivedotcom video, the Aukey is the exact same as the $35 dashcam. Click the "?" under my name to find a link, and reviews.

BTW I've revived one of mine by doing a firmware update, and using a 32GB SD card max.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Godholio posted:

I use my visor regularly. Hooray for staring at the sun on the way to and from work, and on windy roads that require swiveling the visor all over the drat place.

Passenger visor?

I'm too tall to use visors (literally I cannot see out of the winshield with the visor down, even half way on like all cars) so this is something I have never thought of.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I end up using both. It's a pain, but better than not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do various dashcams all join to their mounts using a standardized interface, or are they all different? Asking because the mount for my Genius is falling apart and I need a new one (along with a new battery but that's a different issue).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Leperflesh posted:

Do various dashcams all join to their mounts using a standardized interface, or are they all different? Asking because the mount for my Genius is falling apart and I need a new one (along with a new battery but that's a different issue).

I've seen quite a lot that use the same mount bracket the G1W uses, but there's definitely not an agreed upon standard as far as I can tell.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I got an a119 a few weeks ago and so far so good. It's got that night time hot pixel issue some people were talking about, but it's not really bad enough that I want to go through the whole procedure to fix it or return it.

The plan was to just plug it into my headunit temporarily until I had the time to wire it into the fuse box and make it all pretty, but I came across this usb splitter cable that splits the power but keeps the data wires on only one of the connectors. So now everything is wired up nicely and tucked away, the camera comes on only when the radio has power, and I can still listen to my mp3s.

Here's the cable I got if anyone else is lazy like me and wants an easy solution https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017OQ26OA

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've seen quite a lot that use the same mount bracket the G1W uses, but there's definitely not an agreed upon standard as far as I can tell.

If it has a screwthread, then it's probably a standard tripod screw, so I suppose there is some commonality there

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Not me but I wish it was, I lust for Beetle death
https://i.imgur.com/Er76yRS.gifv

Not sure how they expected this one to go, even passing a big truck you should still be able to see the giant fuckoff trailer just ahead, and it looked like they were already driving on grass just to get around the first vehicle :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Hitler would be proud. :hitler:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah he mowed down that first highway marker right after coming into frame...pretty sure he was on the edge of control already. I'm impressed he didn't flip it.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Takes No Damage posted:

Not me but I wish it was, I lust for Beetle death
https://i.imgur.com/Er76yRS.gifv

Not sure how they expected this one to go, even passing a big truck you should still be able to see the giant fuckoff trailer just ahead, and it looked like they were already driving on grass just to get around the first vehicle :shrug:

As far as I can tell, the dashcam truck is hogging both lanes in an effort to stop the bug from trying to do a stupid overtake since the lanes are merging. The bug tries to pass on the inside and the truck starts pushing it out to the right instead. Then it turns out you can't easily do high speeds with half your tires on grass and half on asphalt.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Andohz posted:

As far as I can tell, the dashcam truck is hogging both lanes in an effort to stop the bug from trying to do a stupid overtake since the lanes are merging. The bug tries to pass on the inside and the truck starts pushing it out to the right instead. Then it turns out you can't easily do high speeds with half your tires on grass and half on asphalt.

I assumed the cam truck was with the Semi, usually wide load trucks like that have a lead and trail car that also have flashing lights and "Oversize Load" on them and are basically there for stuff like this, making sure to body block idiots that don't know how to read or know what flashing lights mean.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Andohz posted:

No so much hogging both lanes, as moving over since it's the left lane that is ending based on the arrows painted on the road. No way to tell if it was being done to block the bug or not really.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

The Locator posted:

No so much hogging both lanes, as moving over since it's the left lane that is ending based on the arrows painted on the road. No way to tell if it was being done to block the bug or not really.

I didn't mean it in a judging way, I''ve seen people do it and it seems like a perfectly safe thing to do if it stops people trying to shove through, especially if the truck is a signal truck for the semi.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I do it in the ambulance if it's a known problem point or ramp. For instance, there's this ramp we take regularly by Sky Harbor that is wide enough for two lanes all the way to the end, where it goes suddenly to one lane, with a stop sign. I think it used to have lane lines painted, because there's a sign right at the beginning of the ramp that says "left lane ends," but there hasn't been any painted in the 5 years I've been down.

Since the ramp is a very steep uphill grade, then at the very end it goes to one lane as it crests a hill (with a stop sign immediately over the crest), I always hog "both" lanes in the ambulance to prevent anybody passing on the right or doing other bonehead maneuvers right into that stop sign. Hey, no lane lines so as far as I'm concerned, it's one wide lane.

For those that live in Phoenix, the ramp from Sky Harbor Circle North, northbound, to Washington/Jefferson and the 51/202/10. What a cluster gently caress of road design.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

never lift

also diggin the username + post combo

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I think that was a trailing truck doing exactly as he should be on body blocking against stupidity on the truck. You'll notice that the over sign is blink fairly slowly compared to the size sign which is constantly blinking thanks to the beacon just below it. So I'm assuming the over is reflecting the beacon lights on the trailing vehicle. Also, that semi looks to have merged as late as possible. He was probably waiting for the all clear from the trailing vehicle to have made the merge first to block others from getting in between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow!! Armor All dash cam!! The brand I think of when I think of dash cams.