Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hardrock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Hardrock

Plus it might help flush out the murderer by making him lose his poo poo the more it gets said

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Hardrock

I'm not worried about the time to DNA-sequence everyone. It sounds like we should be able to fabricate more machines and speed that timeline up exponentially.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hardrock

Names based on mythology are super boring for planet names in sci-fi at this point. :colbert:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Planet. :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Telsa Cola posted:

Hardrock

Names based on mythology are super boring for planet names in sci-fi at this point. :colbert:

These days it should be more like Planety McPlanetface

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself

Azhais posted:

These days it should be more like Planety McPlanetface

That is old and busted by now.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Changing from Journey to Hardrock

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

It's really nice to see so many people voting!

Whattaplanet
Hexenritter

Chthonia
Hexenritter

Hardrock - 11
AJ_Impy
Deadmeat5150
dont be mean to me
nothing to seehere
JamezBfod
JT Jag
Lemniscate Blue
alpaca diseases
Ralith
Telsa Cola
Rockopolis

Chiron
Hot Dog Day 80
sheep-dodger
Volmarias

Jorune

Yggdrasil - 7
Blasphemaster
Hexenritter
Lord Cyrahzax
HiHo ChiRho
Outrail
AnAnonymousIdiot
Mr Apollo

HardOn
Toughy

Planet
Anticheese

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Later that day, Yurika (Second Chancers) visits you.

"Good afternoon Lieutenant Commander. I hope you are doing well. I really like the name you suggested for Hardrock. I think he'd have been touched and I know a lot of the other crew love it."

"Thank you again for choosing to support us. I truly believe that focusing our efforts on planning for the future is the best way to establish a just society. With your support, we've been able to convince almost 20,000 of the future colonists of the wisdom of not repeating Earth's mistakes. Enough that we likely would have won an election."

"I've already informed Anders and the captain, so now I can share the bad news with you, too. The stresses of the high-g forces the Herald has been subjected to recently broke part of the seal around the patch on Reaction tank 2. We didn't lose much before I repaired the patch again, but it was enough. Anders was keeping us just under the limit as it was. We don't have enough reaction mass to get into even a semi-stable orbit so the landers are going to have detach as the Herald of Humanity shoots past Hardrock. It seems likely each faction is going to get our own landing site. Oldcastle (Preservers) will probably call a meeting to discuss landing sites tomorrow or the day after. If we have a site already picked out, we have a better chance of landing at the location we want."

"After going over the pictures we've been able to take so far, a couple of points have jumped out at me."

"First, there's not enough plant life on land to explain the high percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. The seas must be teaming with life, and therefor predators. Even without the tremendous tides caused by the dual moons, I'd prefer to avoid ocean coastlines for now."

"Second, what plant life there is on land is very unevenly distributed. Most areas are either dense forest/jungle or as bare of life as a desert despite getting plenty of rain. There are very few grasslands or shrublands. What grasslands there are, all seem to have unusual crystal formations nearby. The way Jennifer explained it to me, most of the planet should have much more vegetation and life according to our models, but we don't know why our models are off yet. In any case, we obviously don't want to land in a rain forest. The risk of disease and poisonous lifeforms is too great to expose our first settlement and future capitol to."

"Third, the planet is relatively metal poor. For example, it has only half as much iron in its crust as Earth did. After we're done discussing each site I'll give it a rating from 1-5 with 5 being the best for each aspect we want to consider: Solar Power, Hydropower, transportation access, soil quality, easily accessible metal deposits, temperature and how well the local vegetation matches our models. That last one is the one that keeps me up at night, its such a big unknown. It could be a major risk factor or it could turn out to be nothing."

1) Where would you like to land?

A. "Atop some bluffs over looking a major river connecting a large freshwater lake with an inland sea that fills in the middle of the Eastern half of the continent. It looks similar to the Nile river, although it empties out in the middle of the sea from the North, instead of on edge like the Nile does. This will provide us a ready source of water and good soil without landing in the middle of a jungle. The river will be able to support cities all up and down its course. Metals will likely not be available in the immediate area, but I consider that a benefit. No one wants to live on top of a mine, and the river will allow us to raft in raw materials from a wide area. The site is inside the tropical zone of the planet, so solar panels will provide a good amount of energy."
Solar Power 5
Hydropower 2 (river is slow moving)
Transportation Access 5
Soil quality 4
Easily accessible metal deposits 3
Vegetation Matches Models 1
Temperature: 2
Total Score: 22

This is pretty close but there are no buildings or people. The stream is wider and more of a large river similar in size to the Mississippi.
B. In the middle of the Western half of the same continent is a large area of vegetation that isn't a rainforest covering rolling hills. There are crystal formations all through it. I'm interested in this location because I'm worried that whatever is preventing the spread of vegetation elsewhere could be a hazard to us. This area is behaving the way our models from Earth would predict so it should be relatively safe. The river comes down from some mountains which would be our best bet for metals. It is just
South of the tropical band so it won't be as hot as the first location, but the river is much smaller which limits our future expansion options.
Solar Power 4
Hydropower 1
Transportation Access 3
Soil quality 3
Easily accessible metal deposits 4
Vegetation Matches Models 5
Temperature 3
Total Score: 23

C. A lake just inside the Northern edge of a mountain range splitting the the SouthEastern part of the same continent in half. The rivers leading out from this lake are even smaller and shorter than the ones at site B. On the up side, both the location and the altitude will keep the temperatures much closer to ideal for humans. There are signs indicating deposits of several useful metals nearby, although I can't tell how large the deposits might be. Even transporting the metals the short distance back to the settlement will be challenging and bringing in resources from further away or expanding very far will be almost impossible until we can dig tunnels or establish enough of an industry to be able to build large numbers of locomotives. Either task could potentially take several decades.
Solar Power 2
Hydropower 4
Transportation Access 1
Soil quality 2
Easily accessible metal deposits 5
Vegetation Matches Models 3
Temperature: 5
Total Score: 22

write in (what are some other features you think are important for a landing site and I'll try to provide some other options)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The river is probably our best bet, but those crystals seem too interesting to pass up. B

Ask Moreau if he has any theories on the crystals.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

In the long run, food/power supply is the most important. The first nile-like location is interesting, but not being able to guarantee our plants will grow in it's soil is a big risk. The crystals are weird, but if the soil is working like earth-soil should I'd pick B

Also, even if we can't orbit, we've got to make sure something can. Work out if we can find/jury-rig one of the probes or satellites to have enough reaction mass to orbit the planet, even if we can't

Oh, and we need to make sure we establish comms protocalls with other colonies before we split up. Got to be able to share information.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 13, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A. A Delta is an ideal site from which to work.

The stresses breaking the seal are Oldcastle's fault, we strenuously objected to the course he has taken but were overruled. The shattering of Humanity is on him, as is being forced to split up and allow the murderer the freedom of the planet thanks to his laxity.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
C: Dorf Fortress
Bunker up and corner the market on metals. The isolation will let us develop in peace.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Do we have enough time to sabotage the lander of the group most likely to oppose us?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AJ_Impy posted:

A. A Delta is an ideal site from which to work.

The stresses breaking the seal are Oldcastle's fault, we strenuously objected to the course he has taken but were overruled. The shattering of Humanity is on him, as is being forced to split up and allow the murderer the freedom of the planet thanks to his laxity.

All of this. I like A because of the mobility and versatility the river and its delta offer us, and Oldcastle is a humongous tit who is now personally responsible for the escape of the murderer and the fracturing of humanity's remnant into what no doubt will become individual, distinct city states with their own agendas and schemes and which will totally not come back to bite us all in the rear end at all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

If people are refraining from voting because you're worried about messing things up; I wouldn't worry about it that much. All of the sites are going to have their own challenges. There are no right or wrong decisions here; but there are a lot of differences in the story arcs that are likely to unfold afterwards. If you can't make up your mind about which is better, maybe vote for the one you think is more likely to have updates devoted to things you find interesting.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The river is probably our best bet, but those crystals seem too interesting to pass up. B

Ask Moreau if he has any theories on the crystals.

"Macroscopic life, the kind you can see with your eyes, doesn't care about crystals. Microscopic life would just go around something so ludicrously large it can be seen from space. It's just a coincidence. If you're worried about there being too little local flora, land near one of the rain forests."

nothing to seehere posted:

Also, even if we can't orbit, we've got to make sure something can. Work out if we can find/jury-rig one of the probes or satellites to have enough reaction mass to orbit the planet, even if we can't
You've got a couple of spare landers courtesy of the loss of more than 14% of the human race. You can probably jury-rig one of them to slow a satellite down enough to get into orbit if that's how you want to spend the few days before you land. There'll be an update soon where you get to pick what sort of supplies you want to focus on taking with you. I'll include a satellite or two in that vote.

nothing to seehere posted:

Oh, and we need to make sure we establish comms protocalls with other colonies before we split up. Got to be able to share information.
If you have suggestions for how to maintain communications with people on the other side of the planet the other leaders would probably all go along. If nothing else than so as to avoid being the one sucker who falls behind because they have to figure everything out themself. I don't know of any way to maintain reliable communications over those distances without a satellite though.

JamezBfod posted:

Do we have enough time to sabotage the lander of the group most likely to oppose us?

Yes, you can try to murder 10,000 men and women for wrong thinking if you want to.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 14, 2017

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Plan AJImpy without a location vote just yet.

Guys. A to C seems to be a Farmer to Raider scale. Grow quickly, be connected and be defenseless or hole up and be the slowly growing, inevitably violent terror in the dark.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I like C for the remoteness, when we lose technology and have to defend ourselves from other survivors the remote location will be advantageous

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

When you put it that way... :black101:
I'm down with SMAC: Norse Raider Edition
plus we get to use Yggdrasil for the name, gently caress the haters :v:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
B

Setting up a comms+imaging satellite that we control sounds like an excellent opportunity.

Could we propose jettisoning the landers full of murdered colonists/unused coldsleep pods/spinach/whatever's in there now to improve the effectiveness of our remaining reaction mass, and maybe even not be scattered? Honestly we should have done this as soon as we began heavy deceleration.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm okay with any of the landing sites as long as we get the chance to shittalk Oldcastle to other crew members at every available opportunity, as per AJ Impy's critique.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LLSix posted:

Yes, you can try to murder 10,000 men and women for wrong thinking if you want to.

Welcome to CYOA voting in Something Awful's Game Room.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Welcome to CYOA voting in Something Awful's Game Room.

where legitimately winning votes in the past have included "walk into a nuke" and "hold our breath until we die"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A

The cliffs and surrounding plains are devoid of major vegetation because they don't have alot of water. This is normal for arid lands. Pumping water up will allow us to turn the area into a green zone.

The problem is this won't be sustainable with large populations as we'll deplete the river, however food should be plentiful to start with and if we're being sustainable then we should be keeping population down anyway.

Deep cliffs mean we don't have to worry about flooding, and the long river means we can spread out considerably decreasing the chances of catastrophic loss from a disaster.

I think it's the best bet for a 'stable' location that'll let us establish.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

The cliffs and surrounding plains are devoid of major vegetation because they don't have alot of water. This is normal for arid lands. Pumping water up will allow us to turn the area into a green zone.
Whatever the photo might suggest, our experts say there should be plants there and there aren't.

Settingwise I'm somewhat confused as to why everybody's acting like it's perfectly reasonable and expected for this random extrasolar planet to be full of alien life, but maybe we're in a space opera.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ralith posted:

Whatever the photo might suggest, our experts say there should be plants there and there aren't.

Settingwise I'm somewhat confused as to why everybody's acting like it's perfectly reasonable and expected for this random extrasolar planet to be full of alien life, but maybe we're in a space opera.

Oh, well even still, no plants aren't an issue, hydroponics and the like are an option even if the ground is inhospitable to plant life. Lack of plants means lack of fauna means lack of biological threats. Probably. And no mineral resources means no radioactive issues. Probably.

Still better than jungle with who knows what or alien crystals. Better a known known than an unknown unknown.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Do we have any idea which landing spots the other factions are trying to get?

Since we're also Second Chancers now, who are the most important people in the faction, besides Yurika and Skye? Are there any internal conflicts we should be aware of?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

where legitimately winning votes in the past have included "walk into a nuke" and "hold our breath until we die"

To be fair, that second one turned out to be the right idea, just poorly timed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hexenritter posted:

To say nothing of the shockingly large number of robosexual votes

Voting for B

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Volmarias posted:

To say nothing of the shockingly large number of robosexual votes

Voting for B

Hey now, rotating internal beads and twelve pulse settings are nothing to sneeze at

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

LLSix posted:

If you have suggestions for how to maintain communications with people on the other side of the planet the other leaders would probably all go along. If nothing else than so as to avoid being the one sucker who falls behind because they have to figure everything out themself. I don't know of any way to maintain reliable communications over those distances without a satellite though.
Heliograph towers? Depends on how far apart we end up, but we can work on an agreement to support extending heliographs to communicate with the other colonies.

Ralith posted:

I've discovered a sudden desire for the genre to be planetary romance.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

If someone smuggled a copy of some Heroquest books onto the ship I think that can be managed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
C, lets go full Andes

A better question would be why we are concerned about alien diseases, but the setting is clearly not hard sci-fi so that explains it.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 14, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Rockopolis posted:

Heliograph towers? Depends on how far apart we end up, but we can work on an agreement to support extending heliographs to communicate with the other colonies.

Please don't gently caress the planet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Outrail posted:

Please don't gently caress the planet.

Well, not without buying it a drink first!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

Please gently caress the planet.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Gonna throw in a vote for A, easier logistics is a good perk.
Also, we'll want to tame whatever causes our biological models to fail sooner rather than later.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Sorry, you're going to have at least one of the other factions landing on another continent, probably two.

Telsa Cola posted:

C, lets go full Andes

A better question would be why we are concerned about alien diseases, but the setting is clearly not hard sci-fi so that explains it.

Ralith posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to get all the details right so it's not going to be a particularly hard science world. I do try to be consistent at least and I spent way too many hours calculating and recalculating how long the trip would take and how long it would take to decelerate and how far the Herald would travel in that time. I hope things will usually work somewhat close to the way you'd expect given what we know about physics.

I've got a bad habit of not explaining enough what's going on. I'm trying to do better but I guess this one slipped through the cracks. Sorry.

Ralith is spot on about the plants. Absent some fairly exotic oxides, oxygen usually implies the presence of plants and there aren't nearly enough of them for the observed oxygen levels. What there are, are oddly placed based on what can be determined from a few AUs away from Hardrock.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

Oh, well even still, no plants aren't an issue, hydroponics and the like are an option even if the ground is inhospitable to plant life. Lack of plants means lack of fauna means lack of biological threats. Probably. And no mineral resources means no radioactive issues. Probably.

Still better than jungle with who knows what or alien crystals. Better a known known than an unknown unknown.
The concern is that whatever kills all the plants which try to live there might kill people who try to live there, too.

Rockopolis posted:

Heliographs (or, given our tech level, maybe just point-to-point high-power microwave?) are a good idea even if we can't reach everyone with them, and even if we do get a satellite up. Redundancy and extra bandwidth!

sheep-dodger posted:

Also, we'll want to tame whatever causes our biological models to fail sooner rather than later.
Might be easier to do this with a team of hazmat-suited researchers working at their leisure than by plonking down our entire population in the middle of an affected zone and hoping everything just works out.

• Locked thread