Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Medullah posted:

That was an amazing scene. He played it perfectly, the determination and grit - no more doubting himself, he realizes Lucifer has been right all along.

Show is better than it had any right to be.

The way they framed it, with the light from the windows always behind him and him in that door way, really did look like they intend for it to be a sign that he's regaining the confidence and righteousness to be an angel. The body language, face, music, and everything combined just made it wonderful to watch, and his immediate jerk, then look of relief, when Lucifer comes in and puts a hand on his shoulder was amazing as well. Just a very palpable sense of relief, even with him backing down but staying near the door just in case. I really do hope he gets a redemption arc in the back half of the season, he really deserves it. I love how Trixie just immediately accepts that he's Lucy's brother, too. But Trixie's pretty consistently owned this entire show anyways.

The show definitely is better than anyone could have expected it to be. The actors have consistently been able to handle both the dramatic and comedic elements of the show solidly, something that's really important with this sort of show. Hell, the therapist going from absolute terror, to tepid curiosity, then finally full blown fascination and even exasperation with the divine is a wonderful arc for season 2. As was poor Lucy getting heartbroken over her just blankly staring in terror, and later frustrated by the repeated questions. Amanediel's fall from grace, attempt to reconcile with himself, and his regaining of confidence of season 1 and 2 has been well sold by his actor as well. Maze has just plain gotten more fun over time too. Especially feeling proud over her first bounty hunting paycheck, then getting heartbroken when she can't share it with the therapist that she considers her only human friend at that point. And of course, blowing up the car. And galpaling it with Chloe.

It only seems to be getting better with time, so here's looking to the second half of season 2 and beyond. Scheming Lucy should be pretty drat fun to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
We can't forget Kevin Alejandro, either. The idea behind Dan is that he's barely passable as a cop and he's really earned his "Detective Douche" moniker. It'd be easy to play that (or write that) as a straight antagonistic rear end in a top hat, but instead he comes across as a genuinely likable guy who's probably in the wrong line of work.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

We can't forget Kevin Alejandro, either. The idea behind Dan is that he's barely passable as a cop and he's really earned his "Detective Douche" moniker. It'd be easy to play that (or write that) as a straight antagonistic rear end in a top hat, but instead he comes across as a genuinely likable guy who's probably in the wrong line of work.

Good point. He's really developed into being a character that isn't the most amazing person ever, but is honest to god TRYING and wants to do well. His increasing tolerance and respect for Lucy (and vice-versa) is wonderful, as are their buddycop moments. Especially the buddycop elements, actually. Between the fake artist this episode and the triad showdown earlier in the season they're hilarious as all hell when they get together.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
All that and none of you mention Ella being awesome?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

grack posted:

All that and none of you mention Ella being awesome?

I dunno, I've seen the "Good girl with a bad past meeting up with her criminal element friend/relative" trope about a billion times. She's definitely doing a good job, but she has to work a bit harder.

Dexter hurt a lot of us, man.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I was talking more about her showing up to the precinct in jammies and granny glasses but whatever.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

She's a fun character, but she hasn't had a lot of time to really show herself off or develop compared to the rest of the cast.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zebulon posted:

She's a fun character, but she hasn't had a lot of time to really show herself off or develop compared to the rest of the cast.

Yeah but you see

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah but you see

You have to admit, he's got a point

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah but you see

She inherited this talent from her short stint on Dexter obviously.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
This show is so unexpectedly emotional at times, poo poo! The last two episodes have twisted my guts.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah but you see

Jade Mage posted:

Yes.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Jade Mage posted:

Don't stare, it's rude!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Astrofig posted:

Don't stare, it's rude!

I don't think either of them would mind.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really expected the blade to appear in Tricia Helfer's hand during the hell sequence...

That was a really good scene.

If this show could just ditch the really loving terrible procedural elements...

Getting to see Professor Jigsaw's hell was kind of worth it, though.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Snak posted:

If this show could just ditch the really loving terrible procedural elements...

They've sort of been moving further away from those. With the back half of season 2 apparently focusing on an angry, bitter Lucifer seeking revenge I'd imagine there'll be even less time spent on the police procedural elements and more time on him and the rest of the celestials.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I loving LOVE Rachel Harris's character. Just the idea that Lucifer had a therapist had me so worried for the show, but they have handled it amazingly. Especially with the whole reveal/breakdown/friendship angle. I loved that "Do you do this often? Just, a big celestial get together?" scene.

From what I remember, the weirdly sexual posing from that knife episode was just improv from Ellis and Ella, and god drat it was amazing :)

It's gonna be a long 3 months man :saddowns:

Regarding Mom's character, Maze said something earlier in the season about how she's locked into that body now, and if she dies, she just goes back to hell. Dunno if it had anything to do with the whole "Resisting" thing she was talking about, but it helps make sense about why/how she returned to the lawyer lady. Some serious acting chops on Helfer too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Some serious acting chops on Helfer too.

Among other things....

Also as far as I know there's a fair amount of improv on the show and a lot of the funny little scenes are a result of the actors being surprised or amused by it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

grack posted:

Among other things....

Ugh. Please, can we just stick to the topic of her acting prowess? :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

VendaGoat posted:

If she didn't want people talking about her vegan tofurkey chops she shouldn't have brought them up on twitter :colbert:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

VendaGoat posted:

I was just going to say her body language and posture were excellent as well, especially in the scene with Uriel and the post electrocution fall.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

This show has no business being as good as it is. There's no news of renewal, but there should be. Really, I have no idea how the show will continue to be good if they seem to be dragging out the will they/won't they bit. Castle was hit HARD when that started to get stale. Might not happen in this series though, considering the overarching plot is so great. The whole cast seems to work wonderfully together, although I've never really been fond of Tricia Helfer's role; I just don't see her DOING anything. The whole point to manipulating the Lucifer/Chloe relationship on her and Amenadiel's end was to somehow find a way back to Heaven, but I didn't see that at all afterwards. It's like they forgot all about that line.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

This show has no business being as good as it is. There's no news of renewal, but there should be. Really, I have no idea how the show will continue to be good if they seem to be dragging out the will they/won't they bit. Castle was hit HARD when that started to get stale. Might not happen in this series though, considering the overarching plot is so great. The whole cast seems to work wonderfully together, although I've never really been fond of Tricia Helfer's role; I just don't see her DOING anything. The whole point to manipulating the Lucifer/Chloe relationship on her and Amenadiel's end was to somehow find a way back to Heaven, but I didn't see that at all afterwards. It's like they forgot all about that line.

I suspect that got side-tracked by her realizing he genuinely loved her and ruining things wouldn't get her what she wanted in addition to hurting her son. That and the whole literal divine miracle thing seemed to throw a huge wrench into whatever plans she had.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

The writers of Castle were loving incompetent. They literally had a backup "will-they-won't-they" couple that could have carried that aspect of the show (Esposito and Laney), and they literally cut it out of the show in favor of repeatedly finding excuses for Castle and Becket to hate eachother. And other bullshit.

I loved that show for about 4 seasons, and I had to quit watching because of how bad the writing was. I loved all the characters and all the actors, but it just turned into garbage.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Lucifer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snak posted:

they literally cut it out of the show in favor of repeatedly finding excuses for Castle and Becket to hate eachother. And other bullshit.

Fillion and Katic hated each other, so that didn't help

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

Fillion and Katic hated each other, so that didn't help

That's really lame, I didn't know that.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Zebulon posted:

I suspect that got side-tracked by her realizing he genuinely loved her and ruining things wouldn't get her what she wanted in addition to hurting her son. That and the whole literal divine miracle thing seemed to throw a huge wrench into whatever plans she had.

I see everything but that last bit. In the episode, Amenadiel tells Charlotte Chloe's a miracle, then she says they'll use it to go home. This is AFTER Chloe saved Lux for Lucifer and Chloe testified in Lucifer's favor at the trial. So Charlotte already knew they liked each other and she knew Chloe was created with God's miracle.

"Quid Pro Ho" made me think Charlotte was going to use Lucifer feeling something for Chloe and Chloe being a mystical something-or-other, maybe, to go to Heaven or wage war on God.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

I see everything but that last bit. In the episode, Amenadiel tells Charlotte Chloe's a miracle, then she says they'll use it to go home. This is AFTER Chloe saved Lux for Lucifer and Chloe testified in Lucifer's favor at the trial. So Charlotte already knew they liked each other and she knew Chloe was created with God's miracle.

"Quid Pro Ho" made me think Charlotte was going to use Lucifer feeling something for Chloe and Chloe being a mystical something-or-other, maybe, to go to Heaven or wage war on God.

I'm not convinced she even has a solid plan to be honest. Just the vague idea that Lucifer's their ticket home because he's the only one left among the group that's actually divine and COULD go home. Amanadiel, as far as even he knows, lost all his divine powers because of his sins and ol' Mum herself is stuck in a human body and seems to just be strong with no other real capacity to her name right now. The entire plan seemed to be "sucker Lucy into taking us home" but the how was always pretty nebulous. Pissing him off via Chloe or making him lose any and all earthly attachments he had in the hopes he'd just grow bored and want to go back. The show's never really presented any concrete plan aside "the way home is through Lucy" and judging by Amanadiel's reactions even if she had a real plan she never communicated it to him outside of the vagueries of needing to make Lucifer miserable so he'll go back.

At best we went from "take away his home so he wants to go back to his REAL home" to "okay we need to get him and Chloe to break up, that's the important link!" to "okay, she's divine and in love with Lucifer and put there by god, surely there's SOME way to exploit that!" and then it all kind of collapses when Lucifer says gently caress it to EVERYONE trying to manipulate him once she tries to pry the slightest bit at that. She did seem to have some hesitation when she realized he genuinely loved her, but it didn't last long because she really can't seem to stop scheming.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
After she talked about Hell pulling at her I had a weird theory. I think she was intended to rule over hell and begged God to send Lucifer instead. So God sets their shouting match off and Lucifer is tossed out of heaven and mom does something later to pissed off God and she gets the old heave ho. It would kind of fit into her always scheming attitude.

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

Pan Dulce posted:

The whole point to manipulating the Lucifer/Chloe relationship on her and Amenadiel's end was to somehow find a way back to Heaven, but I didn't see that at all afterwards. It's like they forgot all about that line.

They didn't forget it. It backfired spectacularly. It wasn't a matter of finding a path to heaven, but rather a way of bringing Lucifer as well. His mother wants her children back. She wanted Lucifer and Chloe to become closer specifically so it would hurt him more when the truth was revealed about Chloe's origins. Knowing she was part of some divine plan would have the double effect of severing the tie keeping him on earth and putting him back on the warpath against his father. When Lucifer stormed the gates of heaven, she would be right there at his side.

What she consistently fails to understand about her son is Lucifer's need for self determination. His deepest desire is freedom, not just from God's plan but anyone's. Despite literally going to hell to save him, his mother's machinations are unforgivable to Lucifer. He's cut ties not only with Chloe but with everyone in a desperate attempt to reclaim his independence. He's angry, hurt, and unwilling to trust. I expect he's not going to be in good shape when someone who loves him finally catches up with him in May.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Astribulus posted:

They didn't forget it. It backfired spectacularly. It wasn't a matter of finding a path to heaven, but rather a way of bringing Lucifer as well. His mother wants her children back. She wanted Lucifer and Chloe to become closer specifically so it would hurt him more when the truth was revealed about Chloe's origins. Knowing she was part of some divine plan would have the double effect of severing the tie keeping him on earth and putting him back on the warpath against his father. When Lucifer stormed the gates of heaven, she would be right there at his side.

What she consistently fails to understand about her son is Lucifer's need for self determination. His deepest desire is freedom, not just from God's plan but anyone's. Despite literally going to hell to save him, his mother's machinations are unforgivable to Lucifer. He's cut ties not only with Chloe but with everyone in a desperate attempt to reclaim his independence. He's angry, hurt, and unwilling to trust. I expect he's not going to be in good shape when someone who loves him finally catches up with him in May.

Very good post. I truly can't wait for May. This dumb show that i initially thought back in season 1 would be some trashtier TV to hold me over until Vikings or whatever i was into back then came back on has really become my favorite piece of TV in almost a decade.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best part of this show is the fact they have made Lucifer scary without ever him really doing anything

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

The best part of this show is the fact they have made Lucifer scary without ever him really doing anything

Season one did. But your point more then stands for season two.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm uhhhh binge watching this terrible show that may actually be very good that I unironically love.

I was sold when they did a stupid "speak of the devil" joke in the third episode.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

VendaGoat posted:

Season one did. But your point more then stands for season two.

Tom does all of that acting with his eyes and it is amazing.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

algebra testes posted:

So I'm uhhhh binge watching this terrible show that may actually be very good that I unironically love.

I was sold when they did a stupid "speak of the devil" joke in the third episode.

The jokes never truly go away, and they never stop being fun either.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Renewed for Season 3

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Hallelujah!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

gently caress yes! FOX is actually not dropping the ball on one of their shows for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aleph Null posted:

Hallelujah!

I think you mean "Hail Satan!". :flashfact:

• Locked thread