Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
EDIT: There was a post here now there isn't

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

Sheena's in Heroes? I think she's the only New Mystery exclusive character there, then.

Sheena is recruitable in the original Mystery of the Emblem, actually. You can even level her up by having her attack her own soldiers in that one! :eng101:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

EclecticTastes posted:

Sheena is recruitable in the original Mystery of the Emblem, actually. You can even level her up by having her attack her own soldiers in that one! :eng101:

My bad, I meant Mystery, Book 2 characters.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Aaaah, of course my favorite FEs would not make an appearance at first in Heroes... But I do hope that it ends up like Record Keeper as well. There's a really solid base there and I'm excited to see how they build on it.

I will note that Jagen is apparently usable in Heroes, which was a surprise. And Wrys is just a pleasant old man in Heroes who happens to be a decent healer :3: (although I have gotten all of one healer who is not him so take my opinion with a grain of salt).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Count me one more that was glad to read this LP before getting into FE: Heroes. When I got the map vs Jagen I went :allears: and this was all thanks to this LP.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Like Clockwork posted:

I will note that Jagen is apparently usable in Heroes, which was a surprise. And Wrys is just a pleasant old man in Heroes who happens to be a decent healer :3: (although I have gotten all of one healer who is not him so take my opinion with a grain of salt).

Good. I did get a Gunter yesterday, which is like...almost Jagen.

HardDiskD posted:

Count me one more that was glad to read this LP before getting into FE: Heroes. When I got the map vs Jagen I went :allears: and this was all thanks to this LP.

I appreciate the hell out of that, thank you!

Also, this is a good excuse to mention that a lot of the maps in Heroes are based on maps from the games it takes characters from. So that one, if you look closely, is a shrunken down version of Chapter 1 of Shadow Dragon. Merric and Linde's is a chapter we'll see later, and Ogma's looks to me like a smaller version of his first appearance in New Mystery, Prologue 6. I'm sure there are more I didn't notice.

(I'll post some more Shadow Dragon related stuff soon, I promise, but Heroes is pretty cool too.)

Edit: Also, the first tier of the Arena mode in Heroes is called "7th Platoon", which is a reference to the training group My Unit/Steve was in the prologue of FE12. That was a nice nod.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 8, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tier 2 is the Whitewings, by the by.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

They released the results of the popularity poll, and apparently Roger (at least the FE3/FE12 version) is the fifth least liked character in the entire series. The Shadow Dragon version didn't do much better, by the by.

Poor Roger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

They released the results of the popularity poll, and apparently Roger (at least the FE3/FE12 version) is the fifth least liked character in the entire series. The Shadow Dragon version didn't do much better, by the by.

Poor Roger.

I guess the voters didn't believe in love after all.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Camel Pimp posted:

Poor Roger.

Micaiah was in the top ten while Sigurd and Celice didn't even place, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the poll results. Plus Roy was the second-place male character, a clear indication that a lot of the voters only knew the characters from Smash Bros, where Roy is actually good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wrys got 120th place! I'm not sure how to feel about that. I mean, it should obviously have been much higher! But it's not bad out of nearly 800 for a humble curate.

Poor Jagen is down at 286. :(

...Bantu is 462 :saddowns:

On the plus side, I'm proud of our boy for his second place on the guys' side. Though I'm a bit baffled that after him, the next Binding Blade character is Lilina... followed by Lot of all people. With over 3000 votes! What even the hell.

e: ^^^ How dare you, Roy was always good.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Honestly I was just cracking up at poor Macellan nearly in last with 19 votes. Somewhere there is someone who really, really likes Macellan. In the small subset of Fire Emblem fans who are bulky bald twins, there is solidarity for Macellan.

But still not that much because his brother Dolph beat him.

Marth, Caeda, and Tiki were the only characters in this game that landed in the top 100, by the way. (Add Minerva, Navarre, Wrys, and Ogma for Top 150).

People aren't huge fans of the Shadow Dragon team, compared to the other games that got English releases. But at least we aren't the Jugdral characters :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Marth being in the top 20 twice is dumb because there's a very small difference between him and fe12 compared to the ikes.

Keep in mind random dancer npc in fates and awakening villager were votable so being last is even worse than you think.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

vilkacis posted:

On the plus side, I'm proud of our boy for his second place on the guys' side. Though I'm a bit baffled that after him, the next Binding Blade character is Lilina... followed by Lot of all people. With over 3000 votes! What even the hell.

Lot's still my favorite fighter in this series not called Cord, so he got my vote. Look, Barst is cool and all but always using the best units gets boring :colbert:

On the subject of the best units, Hippo: are you going to use some of the units who are usually never used? I'd love to see Jagen team up with Macellan.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Lot's still my favorite fighter in this series not called Cord, so he got my vote. Look, Barst is cool and all but always using the best units gets boring :colbert:

On the subject of the best units, Hippo: are you going to use some of the units who are usually never used? I'd love to see Jagen team up with Macellan.

I always intend to do that in these LPs and always forget. I'll try to make sure it happens a bit more at least on the Normal run.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 10: Ave Maria (Prep)

Last time around, Marth and pals managed to overthrow an entire island nation and we’ll never acknowledge it again. More importantly, Catria showed up and informed him that Minerva was being coerced due to her sister being held captive.

Time to do something about that. Because no boat is mentioned, I assume everyone just piles on Catria and Caeda’s pegasi.

That’s why they don’t get named. For their own safety.

: Marth doubted that, though; he had seen the woman in Lefcandith Valley, and she did not strike him as a sort of conniving menace his followers feared. As the brunt of Grust’s might drew closer, Marth led the League to Castle Deil, determined to attack the citadel and rescue the young Macedonian princess, Maria.

This map can be kind of a rough one, especially after Chapter 9 is relatively easy. You can pretty quickly end up in a very tight situation. This is also the first time we’ll be seeing promoted enemy units that aren’t stationary bosses or weak, very gimped Horsemen.

This is also a relatively complicated map.

So, best to work this one backwards, we’ll have to make our way to that castle in the top left corner. Right above him we have Minerva, and a lot of other fliers.

So, to get there, we’ve got two paths. Regardless, we’ve got to go around the southern end of the fortress in the center of the map, but then you can either pass through it or go around it.

The fort itself is a bit of a crowded maze, it’s got some chests, close quarters, and the unfortunate appearance of our first enemy Sniper. If this guy gets near Caeda, she’ll be a puddle. That said, I do want his Silver Bow.

There’s also two chests here, which start with a Thief right next to them. You’d think this might mean we shouldn’t bring Julian in the building, but that’s a locked door in the center there! Also the thief can only open one chest.

And there’s Maria. You don’t HAVE to save her, but you’ll miss out on Minerva if you don't do so. So let’s not do that.

The exit is guarded, however, by another promoted foe. I’d call these guys “minibosses”, but that’s way too generous. What’s most interesting here is the Master Seal.

Still, going through the castle means you’ll have to creep through this forested cliff, and probably the fliers. For reasons you’ll see in the battle proper, it’s also not a great idea to be too slow here.

I’m benching Navarre and Roger for now, and letting our new Sniper get some spotlight time. This level has a lot of enemies you might want to hit from a distance. And we might need tools for that. Given that Cord’s an axe is starting to wear down...

Here’s another axe.

While trying to find a good use for the Goddess Icon, I noticed that Draug only had three luck. Two more points bring him up to five. Honestly, I pretty rarely think much about who I spend this on, because Luck is a weird stat I’m not worried about Min/Maxing. The answer to “Who doesn’t want to get Crit?” is “Everyone.”

Also, I’m not reclassing anyone for this chapter...but I did want to show off that if I did reclass Caeda, she’d hit the cap for Speed. Caeda is fast as poo poo.

Next time we save our second Princess. (Caeda doesn’t count, I think we were her henchmen in that map.)

Bonus Content

I wanted to use Jeorge here, but reading his supports for the first time made me realize that he has a pretty decent amount of backstory (That of course will never, ever be mentioned in this game.) and that they do spoil FE12, which I’m trying not to do...too much, just in case. So I’m going to recommend reading those at SerenesForest right here if you're interested before I get onto the normal stuff.

Now for the normal stuff.

Draug’s Secret Technique

: Sir Draug, I'd like to ask you something. Can you teach me your legendary technique?

: Legendary technique? I only know of normal techniques.

: Sir Draug, you are even more humble than I thought. You’re a legendary hero, yet you don’t seem to boast at all… Sir Draug, I’ve heard the legends about the previous war. Like how you took on hundreds of enemies without so much as flinching…

I mean, he does have 5 whole Luck now!

: Y-yeah. That sounds greatly exaggerated…

: And then, with a swing of your lance, you blew the enemy army away to the skies.

: Wait, what?

: Then, to finish them, you took flight and with a strike of your lance, sent them flying far from Archanea.

I’d make a comment again about how sad it is there’s no fan art of this, but last time I said that I was extremely (though thankfully) wrong. Maybe this is the source of that balloon Draug art from earlier?

: No, no, wait a minute. That’s complete nonsense.

: Indeed. I don’t think it’s something a man could do. Unless that man is Sir Draug…

: No no, I can't do it either. Steve, I'm happy that you hold me in high esteem, but those legends aren't true at all. They've been exaggerated beyond belief. Are you truly suggesting I grew wings and that's how I took flight...?

That would make him take triple arrow damage. Just saying.

: There's no need to be so modest, Sir Draug. You know such an amazing technique, but you won't even admit it... Sir Draug, please teach me your technique!

: …...I think we’ve a misunderstanding here.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 15, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 10: Ave Maria (Battle)

Let’s raid Castle Deil! I think that’s what this map was called. Castle Deli?

I checked it’s Deil.

Zharov looks pretty cool as far as one off generic villains go. He’s not committing horrible hair crimes, at least.

: Might I remind you, poor conduct on your part could have repercussions on how…comfortable…your sister remains.

: Just let me see Maria, for a little while. She’s only a child, General. Think of what she must be going through.

: Impossible, I’m afraid. She is a hostage. If your sister’s well-being concerns you, then start following orders

: General! Grave news! The rebel army has been sighted east of Castle Deil!

: What?! Why in creation would the rebels come here? Blast…Order the Dragoons to sortie! And don’t forget to send word to the main army. We need reinforcements!

I complain a lot about the reinforcements in this game, but they often do sort of warn you. Although, by the time you’re deep enough in the chapter for it to matter, you’ll probably have forgotten the speech whichever experience bag is sitting on the throne gave.

: Rebels…? Then Marth has arrived.

The opening turn of this chapter is not exciting. There are no enemies, interesting positions to take, or anything like that. I just moved everyone clockwise.

The enemy thief gets to work immediately, though. Worth noting, at least, is that enemy thieves can only steal one item before they run, so we won’t have to worry about the chest on the right getting opened before we get a chance.

The enemy fliers rush us immediately, so we’ll have company down here pretty quickly. The Cavaliers are on their way as well.

Minerva’s an exception. She just kinda hovers around the top row of the map.

These Cavaliers are our first enemy encounter. So let’s cover it stylishly.

Ridersbane!

Wob Leets double!

Other assorted offscreen killing! Barst is going to start the assault on the fort, he’s in perfect range to smash this Knight with a good hammer shot.

Marth also hits the level 10 mark here, off the last Cavalier.

This goes even better than expected, given the Knight’s whiffed attack.

Now comes the flier barrage. I’ll try and cut off the Dracoknight as he comes with a hit from Cain.

Time to teach this thief how a real thief thieves.

This is a pretty lovely level for Julian, given his great growths.

Oh, we also got one of these. Yay.

Man, the castle Knights aren’t great at aiming today.

Unfortunately, the archers are slightly better.

Also, whoops, I picked the wrong weapon for this. Should have gone with the Lance.

So, we’ve got these four fliers to deal with on this side of the fort. I left Caeda, Cain, Abel, Draug, and Jeorge behind to deal with them and head up this edge of the map.

They’re well qualified for it.

Especially the fliers. Draug’s doubling is coming in pretty handy.

...Then he gets an empty level. I suppose I deserve this. Somehow.

Everyone else just streams into the fortress. Cleaning up the Dracoknights went extremely smoothly, let’s hope this goes half as well.

Cord usually just fills the role of “Knight/General Smasher”, and I’m honestly completely okay with that, that’s enough utility on its own.

I want to take out this Sniper ASAP, because he’s the most damaging thing in here by far.

The archer’s lower priority, Wendell can have him.

Sniper’s a little heftier, but at least it gives Ogma a level in Swords, so he can use Silvers now.

: The heroic Prince Marth proceeded to plunge his blade into the Sniper, who was already near death and surrounded by three of his very buff allies.

: Hail our noble King!

This might come in handy if we get a bow user that doesn’t blow. (Recent events have made me upset.)

At least Julian can spring the second chest for an immediately useful tool, another Physic stave. Now if only our cleric wasn’t also doing terribly! :smith:

I’m just going to leave Wolf here by the entrance. I’ve got my reasons. You can probably guess my reasons.

C’mon, he just empty leveled, don’t try to pull this insult to injury poo poo on me.

Thankfully, Ogma’s as consistent as ever.

I mean...maybe I should just stop talking.

That’s the inner fort cleared of enemies. I mean, except Maria. She’s technically an enemy because this game hasn’t figured out neutral NPCs.

Bow units are a great choice for the western part of this map, because the only real foes you’ll encounter are these fliers who get zapped out of the sky.

Alternatively, say, Cain could hit them with a Lance and get a level in it?

After five or so turns of meandering, Minerva has finally come to rest in the upper right corner of the map. Conveniently near the fort’s exit.

Oh, by the way, these pillars are real fuckers. They’re just here because they cost more movement to cross over. Something I wouldn’t know at all if this map didn’t devolve into a traffic jam right around here.

Thankfully, the open plains are still free roaming territory for our mounted and ranged friends. But why, you ask, would an obnoxious chokepoint matter when all the enemies are dead?

On Turn 6, this happens. Wow, that’s...a lot of guys! And they’re mostly mounted! And they would love to chase you down and trap you in that fort!

They aren’t complete throwaways, either. This got me my first time playing this map years ago. But I was young, and foolish, and did not see that these guys have 16ish attack.

And Wolf has 15 Defense. :getin:

Good luck getting in the building now, fuckers! (Yeah, this is a little cheap. But the first time I did this map, I assumed the reinforcements would come from the forts, so I left my poor cleric to guard them and Lena ended up swiss cheese. So consider this vengeance five years in the making.)

Anyway. There are a few shops along the west side of the map, so we might as well check out what they’ve got.

Nothing super interesting here. A Silver Axe might be nice for Barst, but he’s already kicking enough rear end with Steel, I won’t blow funds just yet. I grabbed a Hammer though. The second armory is even lamer, just poo poo we’ve seen before.

The magic shop, however, has a nice little surprise. The Pure Water is a consumable that gives a unit +7 Resistance, more than most units in this game will ever see, but it decays by 1 each turn. Situationally, Pure Water is a lifesaver, so I picked one up.

I also bought a Bridge Key, mostly because I had fond memories of the Bridge Key in FE12 that sat in my inventory from Chapter 3 to the Endgame. :allears:

Now we’ve pretty much got Carte Blanche to clear the rest of this area. Ogma can open up this door, because a rival awaits on the other side!

Ogma VS Big Ogma: Fight

First off, though, gossip.

If this whole kidnapping thing is public knowledge, Grust’s leadership must be pretty incompetent. ...I wonder how many people Minerva has asked to save her sister before Marth?

Caeda takes up a position to take out Zharov’s lone Knight guard.

Come at me.

The way to the boss is clear!

Meanwhile Ogma proves he is indeed the superior Sword Guy.

...Yeah, I think this is going to go fine.

Of course, Ogma can get a little help to finish his honor duel faster. We don’t have all day here.

I hope noone was holding out for that Hero.

Because he’s dead.

Master Seals are important items! They allow most units (Not Marth, Thieves, Manaketes, or Another Guy We Get Later) to Promote to an advanced class once they’re level 10-20. Generally you want to wait until level 20 to use them, because otherwise you lose chances to level up. We’ll see more promotion in action soon enough.

Now then, Julian can work his magic on the door.

And that’s one prison break complete.

: Please be sure to tell my sister I am free. She’ll be grateful for the news. Now then. Shall we be off? I’m coming with you, of course. …No protesting! I wish to help!

Maria joins our team now! She’s...she’s not great. She comes in at about the same level Lena did...7 chapters ago, and with similar growths, a few divots, but nothing too major. She’s really mostly just a plot device. Still, if you got your healer killed, or your healer can never, ever, ever get a good level up...maybe.

I feel like there’s an undercurrent of anger towards Clerics in this update. Huh.

At least Abel benefits.

Zharov here isn’t too scary, even with his two range. Caeda’s not afraid to stare him dead in the...side.

I was kinda hoping he’d have a special quote if Minerva attacked him, but sadly this game doesn’t really do that.

Caeda’s quicker, more accurate, and with the Wing Spear, stronger than Zharov. She’ll win in a fair fight.

Wolf’s doing okay, thanks for asking.

I, uh, may have said in the update we got Wolf that I wasn’t going to use him? I want you to know you’re definitely remembering wrong, and I did not say that.

Minerva comes rushing in once you’ve talked to her sister. If you try to leave without saving her, she won’t be as amicable.

Do remember that she has to talk to Marth, though.

Oh, thanks, Maria, that broke on me. (I might actually swap clerics, depends what people want to see.)

Caeda could just hit him again, but let’s really embarrass poor Zharov.

Another day, another General.

...I wish Maria was a Hunter.

I can’t be upset about this, at least. That’s a permanent +2 Speed to the user, and with such a make or break stat, even the tiniest boost is fantastic.

I’m pretty sure he hasn’t even noticed they’re there.

Minerva flies up and talks herself, if you’ve saved her sister. Somehow she’s got a telepathic sibling link, I guess.

: Thank you for saving my sister. Maria’s plight forced me to treat you as an enemy when I knew you were not; suffice to say, I am deeply sorry for that.

It’s cool, just about everyone here has tried to kill Marth at least once.

Michalis is a name you should be jotting down.

: And on their hands is the blood of their king, my father. They must be stopped; I must stop them. Still, I fear for my soldiers whom I can no longer protect, especially the three Whitewing sisters: Palla, Catria, and Est. Dolhr worried we would rebel, and forced us to separate. If they knew I was safe, they would join your ranks in a heartbeat. We are yours to command, sire. Let us help you defeat Dolhr, and repay them for sullying Macedon’s honor.

One sec, gotta get a Lance level.

Princess Minerva has joined our party now! And so has her axe, Hauteclere!

Each weapon type has one A Rank weapon in the game, and they kick rear end. Minerva carries the axe, and it’s got 18 Might along with an on use ability to recover 10 HP. It’s a nice tool to have on you.

Minerva herself is probably the best prepromote in the game, but that’s not saying much. Her stats are...decent, and she’s got some good personal growths in stats that will help her, like Strength and Skill. Still, she’s slow, and she doesn’t have as much room to grow in a game full of great fliers. Still, the Hauteclere utility makes her a strong pick.

She can talk with Maria as well!

: Maria… Are you all right?

: Fine. Have you heard? Marth made me one of his soldiers! Well…I made him make me one.

He developed brief muteness for that entire recruitment conversation.

: …What am I going to do with you? Listen to me, Maria… You cannot stay here. It’s too dangerous. Real war is nothing like your stories of princes and damsels.

: I’m not going anywhere! I want to stay with you!

: Maria, you’re being selfish.

: I am not! I’m just…sick of being helpless. I’ve burdened you long enough. How can I ever help you if you don’t give me a chance to be strong? I’m staying here and fighting! No protesting!

: …Ha ha. Somehow I knew you would say that. All right, Maria. If you feel that strongly about it, who am I to stop you? All I ask is that you be careful. If you need help, you come find me. Understood?

: Of course! Thank you, Sister!

:allears:

Anyway, that’s enough of that.

:toot:

Well this is out of nowhere.

: The one who defended Archanea with the power of Aura? Of course; he and his magic are famous! But…I read Miloah died in a battle with Gharnef, soon after the fiend sold his soul to Dolhr…

Lotta exposition coming in here, but the important name here is Gharnef.

: Alas, Miloah did die… But his daughter, Linde, yet lives. I am told she inherited her father’s skill with Aura magic- but since the battle with Gharnef none have seen her. Wherever she is, it cannot be pleasant. …Marth, please. Find Linde. With her father gone, we are the only family the girl has left.

We don’t even know her, Nyna. We can’t adopt.

Next time, Chapter 11!

...gently caress

:stonklol:

Next time I experience terrible flashbacks. Flash forwards? One of the two.

Bonus Content

Princess, Minerva

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Well, there's a reason why Maria's in FE Heroes and not Lena. If you want to clerics, hey, no complaints here.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Minerva wins solely theough the power of being the OG axe lady.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You should totally swap clerics be using a curate instead! :colbert:

Hauteclere is funny. The game makes all this noise about the ~three regalia~ being super awesome and then there's just kinda... a random axe that's on the same level without much fanfare.

Oh yeah, and:

LordHippoman posted:

That’s the inner fort cleared of enemies. I mean, except Maria. She’s technically an enemy because this game hasn’t figured out neutral NPCs.

And it's so loving dumb argh you had this poo poo figured out years ago, you colossal fuckers :rant:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 12, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

With so many bad level ups, are Lena and Maria really all that different? I say nay. Kick Lena to the curb.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

We gave Lenae a chance. There exists only one real call here.

Have cord solo the next chapter and promote him to become our healer.
I guess Maria is technically an option if you don't believe in cord

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I say give Maria a chance. Lena is a severe disappointment this run.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Minerva wins solely theough the power of being the OG axe lady.

Pretty sure that's Titania, dracoknights just had sword/spears in the old games.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Stick with Lena, since after all she gets a pretty drat amazing staff that no one else in the game can use.

vilkacis posted:

And it's so loving dumb argh you had this poo poo figured out years ago, you colossal fuckers :rant:

Add another example on the pile of "we know you just did this because that's how the old game did it despite the fact it doesn't make any sense any more."

The sequel also lacks allied units, if I recall correctly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

Well, there's a reason why Maria's in FE Heroes and not Lena. If you want to clerics, hey, no complaints here.
To be fair, all members of Minvera's family are in Heroes at the moment, so that's probably why Maria got a boost over Lena in the initial roster. Big brother Michalis is an enemy-exclusive unit at the moment, though.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

You should totally swap clerics be using a curate instead! :colbert:

Normal Mode's got Wrys!

It does seem like the general consensus is to swap to Maria, so I probably will, but:

Camel Pimp posted:

Stick with Lena, since after all she gets a pretty drat amazing staff that no one else in the game can use.

Said Staff is E rank, so I can swap Lena in for a map to use it if I need to. I forgot it had 12 uses, that's more handy than I remember.

AradoBalanga posted:

To be fair, all members of Minvera's family are in Heroes at the moment, so that's probably why Maria got a boost over Lena in the initial roster. Big brother Michalis is an enemy-exclusive unit at the moment, though.

I didn't even know Michalis was in Heroes. Huh. Learning more about that every day, as I routinely get my rear end handed to me by Narcian. (:argh:)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I didn't even know Michalis was in Heroes. Huh. Learning more about that every day, as I routinely get my rear end handed to me by Narcian. (:argh:)
Yeah, there seems to be a few heroes in the game but not yet available to the player. One's a spoiler for this game, but the others are (according to wikis): Navarre, Xander, Ursula, Zephiel, and female Robin.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

LordHippoman posted:

Normal Mode's got Wrys!

Normal Mode should just be "only geriatrics and bald people allowed in Marth's army!"

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, there seems to be a few heroes in the game but not yet available to the player. One's a spoiler for this game, but the others are (according to wikis): Navarre, Xander, Ursula, Zephiel, and female Robin.

Navarre is notable because his Heroes art is... Well, it makes his undershirt look like a latex bodysuit. It is slightly ridiculous. I lovehate it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Like Clockwork posted:

Navarre is notable because his Heroes art is... Well, it makes his undershirt look like a latex bodysuit. It is slightly ridiculous. I lovehate it.

Secret peek into the Skype logs of your LPer:

LordHippoman: holy poo poo
Friend: ?
LordHippoman: They made navarre hot in this one.
Friend: Hotvarre.
LordHippoman: Taking that for the thread.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I think he's always supposed to have been hot, but, the, uh, definition of anime hot has changed a bit over time.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Definitely always hot. I mean if this

doesn't make you melt, I don't know what to tell you!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

vilkacis posted:

Definitely always hot. I mean if this

doesn't make you melt, I don't know what to tell you!

Honestly, better than

Marth, get some pants, buddy.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Don't you ever trash pantless Marth.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Many, many characters would be better off wearing pants. I think most of the offenders are wearing shorts to show that they're kids, or at least younger than most of the cast.

Even so, Marth? Buddy? That must be very uncomfortable after a while.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Honestly, better than

Marth, get some pants, buddy.
I am patiently waiting for when this variant of Marth gets released for Heroes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This game is bad, but my current team in Heroes is 3/4 characters from here, so I don't know how to feel.

Also consider this fanart for the thread.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

This game is bad, but my current team in Heroes is 3/4 characters from here, so I don't know how to feel.

Also consider this fanart for the thread.

Don't worry, if they're in this they're also in FE12, which is way better.

Also thank you for contributing to the ever growing collection of Wrys Blingees, your devotion to the Humble Curate is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 11: This Map Gave Me A Kidney Stone (Prep)

Hello. Time for Fire Emblem. So, last time I may have expressed some...trepidation about this map?

Welcome to Knorda loving Market.

Honestly, it’s not that bad in this game. In the sequel?

(The word “gently caress” appears 9 times in that chapter)

So I’ve got some harsh feelings. This time, however, there will hopefully be no tech issues, no giant dumps of screens of failed attempts, and no two part update.

I did however get a kidney stone while screencapping this prep part so I maintain that the curse is real, and it has progressed to the physical realm. I’m never LPing FE1/3 so a piano doesn’t fall on my head or some poo poo.

: With each step, Marth draw nearer to one of the great waypoints on his journey.

Lena has been a massive disappointment. Maria, though? Maybe not? She’s often considered one of the worst characters in the game, because of her horrendous joining time/level, but healers recover from that easier than anyone else.

We will have to find a way to get that staff rank up quickly, though.

Thankfully Old Man Wendell can still fend for himself for a while here, and he’ll take those fancy staves for now.

Abel’s speed is a little shaky for a Level 11 Cavalier, so I gave him a quick shot in the arm via that Speedwing Zharov dropped last time.

Also Ogma has finally inherited that Silver Sword we were supposed to give to Hardin like...6 chapters back?

This map is a little strange. It’s basically divided into three levels, the Castle, the approach, and the Market.

The army has to make its way up this long corridor before anything else, then split off to one of the two destinations.

The Castle is the main goal, and it’s guarded notably by the worst enemy unit ever jammed into a Fire Emblem game. Meet the Ballisticians.

Yes, they can shoot up to 10 squares away. Their hit percentage is bad, but there’s nothing more agonizingly obnoxious than watching a unit survive with a miracle 10 HP or so and then get clunked to death by some loving 40% hit rate rock. Thankfully, they at least can’t move, and they have a “blind spot” within 2 squares.

We’ve also got to recruit one of these guys. Keep in mind that there are different KINDS of ballista. That last guy had the Stonehoist, which is pretty much your vanilla, low accuracy, high damage weapon. Jake has an Arrowspate, which is really notable in that it has much better accuracy and counts as a Bow attack.

If you guessed that we’d need Caeda, a natural flier, to recruit him, you are onto the kind of bullshit Ballisticians are.

Oddly enough, the boss of this chapter is not on the Gate, which technically makes him optional! But he’s got an Energy Drop, which is the Strength stat booster, so we’ll want to take him down anyway. Might be a time to pull out that fancy Wyrmslayer?

Also worth noting near the castle and that bizarre ring of forts what could possibly happen there is this Sniper, who has a nasty Killer Bow and a much less nasty Spirit Dust, the Magic stat booster.

So, that’s the top route. It’s, of course, guarded by yet another ballista, the Thunderbolt, which hits Resistance. So, you know, they’ve got a variety of ways to gently caress you up.

The actual Market is mostly less worrisome, though it is the first time you have to go to one of those random houses to recruit a character. There are also a ton of Mercenaries for some reason.

There’s also a village here, as well as some shops, armories, and an Arena that can come in very handy for this map in particular. You’ll see why next time.

Assuming the ghost of Knorda Market doesn’t kill me in my sleep or something.

Bonus Content

After this game, Cain becomes the training instructor for the Altean knights. There’s a whole prologue about it. Also some base conversations. Here’s one!

: Not good enough! Faster!

(If Cain looks odd here, it’s because I’m using his portrait from the sequel.)

: Y-yes! Ah…

: What’s wrong, Steve? Are you done already!?

: No, Sir Cain! I can still do it!

: Then stand up!

: Got it! Hah! Hiyah! Haah!

: ...Alright. Time for a short rest.

: No, Sir Cain. I can still…!

: No. If you go too far and break your own body, all this training will be for naught. Training your body is my task. Trust me. Leave it to me.

: Understood. Then, I’ll take a rest. ...When I’m with you, Sir Cain, I remember my grandfather.

: Your grandfather?

: Yes. My grandfather used to train me just like this. It really brings me back…

: I-I see. By the way, Steve… Do I really look that old?

: Huh?

: Well, I’m still in my twenties… I see, I’m like a grandfather… That’s really depressing…

: Oh, no! I didn’t mean it that way...

• Locked thread